• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OT9/9/99| African Substitute Teachers Run NY

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kwixotik

1)Quality is subjective, sales are not

2) How is this even measured?

The entire discussion is subjective. Quality and influence both. But as far as the discussion of sales goes, let's look at other mediums:

Highest grossing films of all time: Gone With the Wind, Avatar, Star Wars, Titanic, The Sound of Music, E.T., The Ten Commandments, Doctor Zhivago, Jaws, Snow White & the Seven Dwarves

Arguably all good movies (Avatar and Titanic are debatable) but are they the best? Where's the Hitchcock, Kubrick, Scorsese, etc? Where are the non-English language movies? Just because a given movie or album is more accessible to the public doesn't mean it's better.

Same with books. Best selling books (non-religious/political): A Tale of Two Cities, Lord of the Rings, The Little Prince, And Then There Were None, Dream of the Red Chamber, The Hobbit.

Does Agatha Christie really deserve to be in the running for GOAT author? Vanilla Ice went 7x platinum, Big Willie Style was 9x platinum. We gonna start talking about those as two of the best hip hop albums?

Esch

Banned
Common/Drake was never really a thing. Common was begging for it and Drake took a few subliminals. Plus Com in 2012 is much less relevant than Kendrick now.

Yep, Common vs. Drake was framed by "Ol' dusty ass irrelevant hip hop dude taking shots at drizzy cuz he took his girl". Its deeper than that with Kendrick. They have a pretty equal platform to trade shots on in front of the fanbase. K. Dot has more respect, Drake has more sales and clout.

You guys are misconstruing my words.

Speaking of straight just lyrics.

I believe K Dot is ON that level.

Common of course is a GOAT lyricist.

K Dot has that ability and potential.

CRS

Kendrick is not on Common's level in this world, Kendrick's world, the Hell on Wheels world, and Sherane's world.

Esch

Banned
All I know about Logic is that all my white brehs love him. He's more of a producer than a rapper right? I remember hearing something of his and being nonplussed.

The fuck. This is what Drake said three weeks ago:

Some of yall in here acting like he just said that a few minutes ago, and without any other context. King Kendrick got a navy?

Drake watches rap battles and even attends to King of the Dot events in Toronto. He regularly watches dudes who make a living off rapping absolutely foul ass insults at each other battle and then drink and make (shitty mixtape) music together. That entire quote just shows how sensitive he is.

Drake has punchline potential but I've yet to see any aggression out of the dude and there's limited angles on KL. Kendrick will bring lines, aggression, and can hit Drake from so many angles it's ridiculous.

We won't know what will happen til it happens but the odds are not in Drakes favor.

HiiiLife

All I know about Logic is that all my white brehs love him. He's more of a producer than a rapper right? I remember hearing something of his and being nonplussed.

He's like.. Drake and J. Cole combined. Lol. He's the hipster version of them for all the frat boys.

Esch

Banned
Its pretty easy for Drake to bag on Kendrick. Hes kinda ugly, his whole steez is kinda on this male Erykah Badu shit. Not to mention that Drake kinda put him on; took him on tour, gave him feature opportunities. But Drake is Drake.

HiResDes

Drake didn't go at Common Sense, but rather an old dusty pacifist Common who was more concerned about his acting career and making love odes than beefing with the rap game's most infamous pussy.

codhand

all this talk about "listening sessions" for pusha t's album. who the fuck listened to this mase impersonation and said, "yeah, now that's a song"

effzee

I wanna know what the "surprise" will be at the BET Cypher. The Stan personality wants it to be Em.

How do we even know there is a surprise cypher? Since its taped everything is already known and out. People were live tweeting during the taping so I doubt any surprise could be kept under wrap.

mooooose

Its pretty easy for Drake to bag on Kendrick. Hes kinda ugly, his whole steez is kinda on this male Erykah Badu shit. Not to mention that Drake kinda put him on; took him on tour, gave him feature opportunities. But Drake is Drake.
Kendrick is respected by the people who matter and at the very least king of a coast which is the foundation of hip hop. Drake contributed to creating a monster but it doesn't mean Drake has some power over Kendrick, not anymore. Only thing he has is sales and that may only be a difference maker for so long.

PBY

Banned
Kendrick is respected by the people who matter and at the very least king of a coast which is the foundation of hip hop. Drake contributed to creating a monster but it doesn't mean Drake has some power over Kendrick, not anymore. Only thing he has is sales and that may only be a difference maker for so long.
Kendrick will never ever ever ever everrrrr be in the same tax bracket as drake. Ever.

mooooose

Not with that 100 million contract but in records sales? Possibly. Kendrick also seems to have some serious worldwide presence.

Barring some huge hit, I'd be shocked if Kendrick's next album does more than 340k first week. He's not on Drake's level in that sense.

can't WAIT for work to end so I can read rest of thread/hear the snippet

mooooose

New Cam is whatever. After listening to juke/footwork for the last few days and hearing all the potential Dipset 2013 beats that could make them successful and keep the sound and spirit of who they are.. this shit just comes off regurgitated. Why did 2Chainz get faded out? He was killing it.

The best songs are weirdly enough in the back half. Which few albums do. Think About It has a great beat, some funky guitar chords and some violins and a chopped vocal sample. Good Killa flow.

We already knew My Life was heat, one of the best Cam songs in the last part of Cam's career. Seriously, great. And Cam produced it? Damn.

Let Me Work is good for what it is, fire beat, which is mixed like shit. But it goes.

Golden Girls and Jungle are fine for what they are, they're Cam being funny and flipping funny songs, but the songs aren't that great. They are just gimmicks.

I REALLY loved Welcome to My World. I love Cam's flow. I love the beat. I love Cam's lyrical choices.

Come and Talk To Me has a cool ass beat but it's obvious Cam is unironically stuck in 1999. I'm not sure about how cool that is.

Overall on the Esch scale, not counting skits, I'd give this like a 8/15.

Why would amount of record sales even matter? Kendrick and Drake are in different lanes. No careers would be ended as a result of this. They could only gain from the exposure.

thabiz

nickds-thegreyarea.jpg

The Grey Area

mooooose

Hahahahahahhahah Nicky D's. He used to post on Hypebeast. Not only is he a garbage/uninspired rapper, producer, and artist, he's also the biggest tool of a human being.

kamspy

The last 2/3's of Q's verse on Dope Fiend Rental, dude is straight "Game - ing" Juicy J's flow. His verse started off so hot too, thought it was almost a return to form. Then I heard into turn completely into Juice, now I can't unhear it.

mooooose

The last 2/3's of Q's verse on Dope Fiend Rental, dude is straight "Game - ing" Juicy J's flow. His verse started off so hot too, thought it was almost a return to form. Then I heard into turn completely into Juice, now I can't unhear it.
I hear it but it doesn't matter because the subject matter is completely different and the beat calls for it and there is a part where he says "spread the cheeks never missed a beat" and there are some sick claps underneath that makes it sound like he's rapping in triplets. Great verse.

kamspy

moooooooose are you just downing that Cam because you don't want people thinking you want to be the burger in a Cam and Q sandwich? Shit is fire.

No need to download Dreamchasers 3. It's one of those projects where I can hear every single song just reading the features and producer.

My Old has facebook notifications a few times per song. I could use some help.

I'm willing to bet that >50% of the next Kendrick album has him doing that 'screaming" style of rap. Control + Eminem in the crew is gonna turn him into the next voice change disaster.

And who the fuck new that Ab Soul would morph into Trinidad Soul? As much as I LOVED control system, I'm with Maccas. All I need is a fire verse on DnH III.

Also, much to my dismay, Drake will kill Kendrick in a battle on the same type of bars that Jay did Nas with. Only this time, I'm on the losing side.

How is the MNIMN stream vs the Old stream quality wise?

I hear it but it doesn't matter because the subject matter is completely different and the beat calls for it and there is a part where he says "spread the cheeks never missed a beat" and there are some sick claps underneath that makes it sound like he's rapping in triplets. Great verse.

Your Stan is showing. Zip you draws mane. That shit is pure Game'n Juicy flow. Bar for bar, accent for accent.

PBY

Banned
moooooooose are you just downing that Cam because you don't want people thinking you want to be the burger in a Cam and Q sandwich? Shit is fire.

No need to download Dreamchasers 3. It's one of those projects where I can hear every single song just reading the features and producer.

My Old has facebook notifications a few times per song. I could use some help.

I'm willing to bet that >50% of the next Kendrick album has him doing that 'screaming" style of rap. Control + Eminem in the crew is gonna turn him into the next voice change disaster.

And who the fuck new that Ab Soul would morph into Trinidad Soul? As much as I LOVED control system, I'm with Maccas. All I need is a fire verse on DnH III.

Also, much to my dismay, Drake will kill Kendrick in a battle on the same type of bars that Jay did Nas with. Only this time, I'm on the losing side.

How is the MNIMN stream vs the Old stream quality wise?

Your Stan is showing. Zip you draws mane. That shit is pure Game'n Juicy flow. Bar for bar, accent for accent.
Yes to the bolded, agree w all of that.

mooooose

No, it's because I've listened to Children of the Corn, Confessions of Fire, SDE, Come Home With Me, Diplomatic Immunity 1 and 2, Purple Haze, Killa Season, Public Enemy #1, Crime Pays, Boss of All Bosses 1/2/2.5/2.9/3 and through all the years Cam has shown a distinguishable change in sound but now Cam is using producers he has been using since 2009 and sounds like he's stuck in 1999. It's a mediocre project and I have literally hundreds of Cam songs that sound better than this already.

Release more songs with Araabmuzik and do the EDM thing. Do something with Alchemist. Work with Tri-Angle dudes. Work with some Chicago Footwork guys. Tons of people want to work with Cam, he's tumblr hot right now, and he drops what he thinks is good because he's being lazy. It was mostly garbage, hood garbage. If he wasn't Cam no one would be listening. Not even me.

He can still spit, but as a believer, I know that. I don't need 19 songs of him going through the motions.

kamspy

Top 3 for me thus far.

Yeezus - Kanye's best attempt at making a NIN album. Love it. Regarding Esch's comment on BLK SKNHEAD, I think that song will translate MUCH better live. Speaking of live, I REALLY hope that new Yeezus live joints with Charlie are NO INDICATION of the way he will perform on the tour. I want Yeezus to go straight Trent Reznor for that shot.

Earl - Doris : If Yeezus didn't break down walls, this would be my #1. I was soooo skep going in, but he exceed ALL the hype. Shit is just so dank. No songs need to be skipped. Possibly best "vibe" of the year. Love it.

Danny Old - Side A is fire. Side B has a few bangers.

Regarding Purity Ring. I'd never actually heard them until the Danny track. Chick sounded so fucking hot on the vocals, then I did a google image search.....Yuuughck. Does that make me a pig?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom