• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OT9/9/99| African Substitute Teachers Run NY

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dereck

Vic is getting immensely shitted on, I have his mixtape on my desktop and I am considering recycle binning that shit in a minute.

Esch

Banned
Vic is getting immensely shitted on, I have his mixtape on my desktop and I am considering recycle binning that shit in a minute.
Idk the boys were playing some of his shit in plug and it sounded like the love child of Ab soul and Drake. Not for me.

heard the Kendrick snippet
ibu1kwcJe6WSyc.gif

that hi five...the "haha"...this dude is straight up trolling. But as corny as that shit was, it's probably making Drake's soul burn slow right now. He'll be drunk dialing Sherane this weekend, no doubt.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
I'm going to listen to Rocky's album for the 1st time tonight. I wonder how I'll take it, having heard Ferg's album first.

mooooose

Lyrically the only good response to Kendrick was weirdly enough ASAP Ferg.
I'm going to listen to Rocky's album for the 1st time tonight. I wonder how I'll take it, having heard Ferg's album first.
Badly.

Listen to it in this order:
Long Live ASAP
Jodye
LVL
Freeze (From Lords Never Worry)
Ghetto Symphony
PMW
Wild for the Night
1 Train
Pretty Flacko Remix
Angels
Ridin (Leak single)
Phoenix
Goldie
Suddenly

Anything else and it's a garbage album. I had to piece together this tracklist and it made for a good album. The stock album is bad.

Took me a few listens to "get" that album but I like it a lot. For a mainstream album its real nice, wasn't nothing out like it for the time.

mooooose

ASAP still has an ability to command some shoegazey beats in a way no other rappers can. LVL and Angels are two album highlights because they are his best element. Even LongLiveASAP. A lot of it is bad because he tried to go too many lanes.

mooooose

uhhh get the fuck out my motherfuckin faaaaaaaaace for that onyx reunion???

my wildest moment of 2013 when that shit came in

oddly enough, maybe so.. VI helped to bring hip-hop mainstream. Made it more acceptable for white America, and even more accepted as a legit form of music. If you remember around that time there was music and then "oh, hip-hop"

Not to say that it wouldn't have happened without him, but he did help in that regard quite a bit..

Beastie Boys started that. Just about any white rapper was going to blow at that time, as long as he was a pretty boy (pause). I'm not going to deny Vanilla Ice's impact but if we're real we'll admit dude was a white MC Hammer.

Whereas Kool G Rap birthed most of the shit we see to this day. Same with Too Short. Sales don't rule.

HiResDes

Been listening to Shit a lot lately, and I really think Future's project might be my most anticipated project left since I don't think Oxy is dropping.

...I also can't wait for A$ton 3:16

HiResDes

Naw...I was before too, but never talk about it, because I was trying to keep my newfound Future love on the low...But ever since I heard Karate Chop I've been a fan.

IrishNinja

Why are you acting like sales equates to respect in the game? When R&B was talking over rap in the early 2000s, no one was claiming that Ja Rule, Bow Wow, or Nelly were the leaders of the new-school of hip-hop.

fuckin' thank you

LMAO at the salt from these Drake haters aka undercover real hip hop stuck in the 90s ninjas

here we go..next time, use a name instead of your boy's subliminal style

casperOne

First time. Here's my initiation. Discuss.

Musical Taste:

Pick a coast to rep

East

Favorite Artist

Biggie

Best feature killer

Not exactly sure what the question is.

Favourite producer

Early Kanye

Rick Ruben

Favourite album

Currently "Modal Soul" by Nujabes. I reserve the right to change my mind on this at any time.

What's in your playlist right now?

• Tons of Japanese produced stuff.
  • "Fuckin' Problems" - A$AP Rocky,
  • "Be", "GO!" - Common,
  • "'93 till Infinity",
  • "'93 till Infinity Remix" - Young feat. Gully, Pep Love and Hongry
  • Hip Hop My Friend - Pep Love
  • "You Be Killin' Them" - Fab
  • Get No Better - Clear Soul Forces
  • Living
  • "Full Clip" - Gang Starr
  • "I am" - Nas
  • "Heart of the City" - Jay-Z
  • "Touch the Sky" - Kanye
  • "Goody Goody" - Lisette Melendez feat. Nice and Smooth

Rank Kanye's albums:

1. My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy
  2. Graduation
  3. Late Registration
  4. The College Dropout
  5. Everything else

Who is the best Wu-Tang member?

ODB - What he did for the remix of "Fantasy" by Mariah was astounding ("YOO New... YORK are you in the house?!" ... "JAPAN are you in the house?!").

Optional: Raekwon or Ghostface?

Ghostface, by a hair.

Is Illmatic > Nas' whole life?

No. "Illmatic" was by far the most impactful of all his albums, and I can respect not liking the later work (I happen to) but at the least, respect the fact that he's acknowledging the change in his life as a result of his success. Look at how radically different the subject material of anything on "Illmatic" is from "The Don"

Who won? Nas or Nas?

Nas, of course.

Biggie or Pac?

Biggie. No one samples the part of the live performance they did together (before all the rivalries) that Pac recorded. "Where Brooklyn at?!" is the preeminent sample from that performance.

Lil B? Is he a genius or mentally challenged?

There's definitely some "Rain Man"/"A Beautiful Mind" shit going on there.

How do you feel about Macklemore?

I liked "Thrift Shop". I hated that "Can't Hold Us" did as well as it did; the success of that song basically gave the mainstream the opportunity to dub him the shining example of what hip hop should be, which I don't agree with, regardless of the fact that the song itself is bangin.

"Same Love" is an extremely poignant piece and delivers a number of messages about the current culture of hip-hop (namely things that really should be changed) that I think everyone needs to have drilled into their heads. As much as I love it all, the culture has been overwhelmed by the same negative themes for way too long.

Best odds on coming out before you die: Dre's Detox, GZA's Liquid Swords 2, or Jay Electronica - whatever?

Liquid Swords 2, because I'm a gambling man.

Esch

Banned
Lmao at Irishpoop changing the Jay vs. Nas question to Nas or Nas. Probably the only work he did on the OP.

All this hype over boring ass control verse when Danny Brown's dope song is the stronger call out for me. He doesn't name a bunch of names and much of the song is introspective. But the dude also makes a point to the industry with that song AND manages to flow on a catchy ass hype beat that could work in a club.

If only he had Kendrick hype :(

Ether had more impact but I'm beginning to think jay z had better disses . Nas' diss was more childish in comparison

Nas got the better masterpiece, but jay z won at life too. Sorry detox

Esch

Banned
are people really anticipating liquid swords 2

if they are, i'm just assuming they haven't bothered to witness the fall down a mountain GZA's career has been since Grandmasters. Just awful. His live performances look like deleted scenes from The Walking Dead.

Chief Keef's finally rich was better than the ignant albums that came out this summer (including trap lord)

Future will drop an aoty contender

casperOne

Horrendous Kanye West rankings and how the fuck don't you know what a feature killer is?...Also Lie4 is the shit!

Always willing to learn. Tell me what it is!

There's no way that I was going to get out of the rankings no matter how I came to them. I went for points for effort.

HiResDes

Chief Keef's finally rich was better than the ignant albums that came out this summer (including trap lord)

Future will drop an aoty contender

No it wasn't.

A feature killer is a rapper that kills all of his or her feature (guest) spots. Busta, Luda, Twista, 2 Chainz, Danny Brown, Schoolboy Q, Styles P, Future, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom