• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OT9/9/99| African Substitute Teachers Run NY

Status
Not open for further replies.

kamspy

New Cam is real nice. Damn it, remember when Bush stepped in to stop the MLB strike? Obama needs to intervene to get a new Diplomat album made. The country needs it more than ever. Only Cam, Jim and Santana can save us. Gawd, just imagine hearing that heatmakerz intro, knowing you're about to eat on some Dipset nutrients.....

Cheddahz

Banned
Waka Flocka showed up at the show and he performed a few songs, that was probably the best part of the show. Some middle school kid tried to start a fight with me and I just punched in the face...and then I saw his mom in the back

Good times, I guess

PBY

Banned
Yo wear your PYREX 23 shit to this
cover.jpg

http://www.livemixtapes.com/mixtapes/24050/been-trill-in-the-field.html

Dope RZA answer on the Deck/Drake thing

So you disagree with Inspectah Deck saying that the song shouldn't carry the title, "Wu-Tang forever?"
The thing is, Deck is a straight up staircase MC. He lived it and when you lived something you feel differently. What would Bruce Lee say to all the fighters now? Deck is a grandmaster and is only gonna' see it from a grandmasters point of view.

I see it as: he heard us and let the world know where his inspiration came from. Other things inspired us too. We saw kung fu movies and now I'm directing them. What would the old Chinese directors say about Man With the Iron Fists? I'm paying homage.

I look at it as a blessing. Something always comes along and puts a twist. I mean, who fukking thought of Grape Kool-Aid? Wu-Tang is the foundation that sparked a lot of energy to the musical world. It's also an American product. The American product is always changing. You're probably talking to me on your cell phone. Before that, you had to be locked into a phone plugged into a wall. Before that, we would have had to speak in person.

Esch

Banned
Why isn't Freddie Gibbs more famous?
People are all gonna say that its cause hes a dumbass on the business side and all but really part of it is because he occupies that space between trap and conscious shit and nobody knows how to sell that type of music.

I can't picture Gibbs blowing up. I was shocked when he had a song in GTA V tbh. I think he's one of the most consistent guys out there now, but that's just me.

Tokubetsu

People are all gonna say that its cause hes a dumbass on the business side and all but really part of it is because he occupies that space between trap and conscious shit and nobody knows how to sell that type of music.

This plus he doesn't really care about burning bridges if you aren't doing anything for him right away.
I can't picture Gibbs blowing up. I was shocked when he had a song in GTA V tbh. I think he's one of the most consistent guys out there now, but that's just me.

He's talented and consistent but that doesn't necessarily mean you'll ever be big (look at dudes like Curren$y etc). Mainstream media is all about massive hits that cross genres and demographics.

Gibbs has the melodic understanding and flow to make a hit, The problem is that he's a dumbass and somewhat lazy, not to mention blackballed from much of the major label game. If he had a big budget push, I think he could do well.

Too bad he burned those MMG bridges, that would have been a perfect fit IMO...

Tokubetsu

Gibbs has the melodic understanding and flow to make a hit, The problem is that he's a dumbass and somewhat lazy, not to mention blackballed from much of the major label game. If he had a big budget push, I think he could do well.

I don't think laziness comes into it. It's more contentment. Last time he was on breakfast club (IIRC it was Breakfast Club?) he sounded like he was happy where he was at and that he was eating well. Dude had been living in Cali for years before Jeezy came along.

He's not lazy. If anything it's why he left CTE cause he wasn't content to be a side player he wanted to do his own thing. He said initially the split was amicable, but later retracted that cause somebody said somethings about him, and there were some phone calls so he grew less codial.

Also he's like constantly touring.

I don't think laziness comes into it. It's more contentment. Last time he was on breakfast club (IIRC it was Breakfast Club?) he sounded like he was happy where he was at and that he was eating well. Dude had been living in Cali for years before Jeezy came along.

I think it depends on how you phrase contentment, I think he just knows what he's good at and what he likes to rap about and just kinda does that. He does toy around on other beats and tours alot. So he does work hard.

Lol, I totally did not come here to just defend Freddie Gibbs but ah well.

He was in Sleeping Dogs also with that Playa remix. Idk, I like Freddie Gibbs, I'd go so far as to say he's one of my top (current) rappers. I can see him just kind of maintaining his path and just doing his thing and quietly maintaining a strong fan base.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
it's also complex... they relegated us to a mention in the first paragraph. they can eat a bag of dicks.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
the last five years have been embarrassing.

only because of drake.

idk I prefered these last five years (ok the last 3) to the decade prior..... Drake is not that much worse to me than a Nelly, or a Ja Rule. But a lot of good rap has been released these last 3 years by artist who have the potential to go mainstream.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
idk I prefered these last five years (ok the last 3) to the decade prior..... Drake is not that much worse to me than a Nelly, or a Ja Rule. But a lot of good rap has been released these last 3 years by artist who have the potential to go mainstream.
I just blame Drake for everything bad in the country and world at large. Hip.hop has been good for the last five years. Just his simp ass ruining shit.

DominoKid

ehh that's a solid list. only album i'd take issue w/ is HnC. wouldn't put WTT so high.

that Keef/Wiz track on the Been Trill tape is nice.

Metro Boomin mixtape. Maison Margiela is nice. Young Thug tracks are too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom