• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OT9/9/99| African Substitute Teachers Run NY

Status
Not open for further replies.

Esch

Banned
If you think HnC is one of the best 10 albums in the last 5 years you are a crack cocaine rock smoker plain and simple.

Metro Boomin mixtape. Maison Margiela is nice. Young Thug tracks are too.

Whoa I had no idea this was coming out, thanks! Loving these Young Thug tracks, hope he's not just teasing on twitter and 1017 Finally Home actually comes out on 10/17 but I'm not getting my hopes up

Esch

Banned
Real Top Ten Tentative of 2013-2009; Esch edition

1. Good Kid, mAAd City
2. XXX
3. Cigarette Boats
4. Covert Coup
5. The Night's Gambit
6. Flockaveli
7. KRIT Wuz Here
8. Russian Roulette
9. Old
10. Live Love A$AP

RUNNERS UP:
Section 80, My Beautiful Twisted Dark Fantasy, Yeezus, Return of 4eva, Pilot Talk, Cancer 4 Cure, RAP Music, Self Made Vol. 1, Rare Chandeliers.

overcast

Pilot Talk or Covert Coup need to be in the top 10, can't have 3 Currensy releases in the top 10 though.

Krit Wuz Here and Warm Up would be somewhere in the top 20 for myself I think.

mooooose

GKMC, XXX, Flockaveli, Take Care (if it even counts lol), and possibly LiveLoveASAP are the five best albums in terms of being good bodies of work, influential, and original in execution (if not content).

Other than Esch loving Currensy and giving Kanye his due, which I just can't do, he's right on.

HnC is awesome in establishing Q but it's also really long and misguided.

Esch

Banned
Pilot Talk or Covert Coup need to be in the top 10, can't have 3 Currensy releases in the top 10 though.

The fact that you're having this internal debate shows us how dope Spitta truly is.

jbuwzsBt3Y22gC.png

Esch

Banned
Yeezus is cool with me. I still don't quite get the vehement pannings it gets. I can see moooose and thabiz perspectives, in that is just a patchwork of other peoples doing, but I still enjoy it a lot. It's rawer and more aggressive and less meandering than the bloated MBTDF....
GKMC, XXX, Flockaveli, Take Care (if it even counts lol), and possibly LiveLoveASAP are the five best albums in terms of being good bodies of work, influential, and original in execution (if not content).

Other than Esch loving Currensy and giving Kanye his due, which I just can't do, he's right on.

HnC is awesome in establishing Q but it's also really long and misguided.

Stanning rationally.

smh at you giving dap to LLA for execution/originality and panning Yeezus for it tho, but i see you

overcast

The fact that you're having this internal debate shows us how dope Spitta truly is.

jbuwzsBt3Y22gC.png
Yeah, I fuck with most of your list. Currensy has some duds under his belt, but those 3 releases are ridiculous.

I'm not saying HnC is the second coming, it's top 10 for me definitely though.

Top 10:
1) GKMC
2) XXX
3) MBDTF
4) Pilot Talk
5) Oneirology
6) HnC
7) Section 80
8) Warm Up
9) Man on the Moon
10) Krit Wuz Here

Honorable Mentions: Covert Coup, Yeezus, 808's, LiveLoveASAP,Control System, A Sucker For Pumps.

Probably forgetting some, but that is how I'm feeling.

Esch

Banned
Also, it's crazy how good The Night's Gambit is. Clear AOTY for me. So good. I was meh on Grief Pedigree, never cared too much for it. I found KA monotone, and the production was just ok to me. He seemed basically like a budget GZA minus the flow, but man, it just clicked so hard for me. This album is vivid as fuck. It has the picture painting and imagery of an old Wu-Tang album or Nas in their prime. When Ka is doing his narrative, hypnotic emceeing I felt like I could imagine the sonicscapes he was painting. It's been a long, long time since I felt that way about an album, period. I think I used to look at this type music and knock the raps for being technically bereft and mediocre in flow, but PD was essentially right; the emceeing is the way it is to give the beats and bars as much room as possible to breathe and leave an organic, powerful impact. I haven't paid much attention to the production credits on this, but it's incredible. Best produced and cohesive album of the year alone. Sparse, minimalist drums, keys, and strings arranged in a refreshing way such that KA is able to exploit them in different ways for his stories and bon mots. It's maudlin, but just maudlin enough to prevent it from being cheesy or insincere or corny. This album reeks of 'wisdom' to me, and you can hear it in the lyricism present. I have always been of the opinion that artists, scientists, athletes, professionals of any kind are at their greatest in their youth. This album has shown me that the perspective and experience of old age can indeed be fruitful if picked at the right time, like a steak aged and rotted for maximum glutamic acid.

Classic album.

If you can't fuck with this, like, do you even like hip hop?

DominoKid

I'd give Big Boi an honorable mention.

as far as the last 5 years (09-now) i'd have it like

Undisputed Locks for Top 2.
1. MBDTF
2. GKMC (i don't think it's this good but for the sake of this list it's high)

then
3. Yeezus
4. LiveLoveASAP
5. Take Care
6. Flockaveli
7. Covert Coup
8. Teflon Don
9. Section 80
10. XXX

w/ a few notable Honorable Mentions
WTT, MOTM1, Krit Wuz Here, Return of 4Eva, Control System, Back From The Dead, Sir Lucious Left Foot, Kush & OJ, Pilot Talk 1 & 2

Esch

Banned
Lmao at no love for life is good

That shit is refreshing just cause its a post Stillmatic Nas album that isn't complete
jbennJfH3qwLIX.png
compost material for the recycle bin, but it's not that good really. It has a good first 4 tracks then it's shit for a solid stretch then its okay at the end. It certainly isn't worth any top ten lists if we're looking at execution, influence, or originality.

overcast

Take Care is cool, but I don't hold it as high as most. I do love Flockaveli now, probably my biggest turn around compared to where I was at when I was 17-18.

Rick Ross is probably the biggest artist I just don't plain get.

Esch

Banned
Teflon Don, Deeper than Rap, and Port of Miami are cool w/me but if i'm giving anything MMG dap it's Self Made 1, and i did.

Grzi

Teflon Don, Deeper than Rap, and Port of Miami are cool w/me but if i'm giving anything MMG dap it's Self Made 1, and i did.

I never got into Self Made Vol. 1 except for Ima Boss, but I only listened to the entire album like once when it came out, I might have to give it a spin in the car one of these days.

Esch

Banned
I never got into Self Made Vol. 1 except for Ima Boss, but I only listened to the entire album like once when it came out, I might have to give it a spin in the car one of these days.

You're right in the sense that Teflon Don is more influential with BMF putting on that Lex Luger sound, but I like the songs on SMV1 more.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUeLNimOjmk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5spMjy8uhc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZW1STjbKSs

MMG actually makes the best posse/team cuts in the biz tbh, even if I think they're really stale right now.

I do need to give DtR and TD a relisten though. It's been years.

Also, it's crazy how good The Night's Gambit is. Clear AOTY for me. So good. I was meh on Grief Pedigree, never cared too much for it. I found KA monotone, and the production was just ok to me. He seemed basically like a budget GZA minus the flow, but man, it just clicked so hard for me. This album is vivid as fuck. It has the picture painting and imagery of an old Wu-Tang album or Nas in their prime. When Ka is doing his narrative, hypnotic emceeing I felt like I could imagine the sonicscapes he was painting. It's been a long, long time since I felt that way about an album, period. I think I used to look at this type music and knock the raps for being technically bereft and mediocre in flow, but PD was essentially right; the emceeing is the way it is to give the beats and bars as much room as possible to breathe and leave an organic, powerful impact. I haven't paid much attention to the production credits on this, but it's incredible. Best produced and cohesive album of the year alone. Sparse, minimalist drums, keys, and strings arranged in a refreshing way such that KA is able to exploit them in different ways for his stories and bon mots. It's maudlin, but just maudlin enough to prevent it from being cheesy or insincere or corny. This album reeks of 'wisdom' to me, and you can hear it in the lyricism present. I have always been of the opinion that artists, scientists, athletes, professionals of any kind are at their greatest in their youth. This album has shown me that the perspective and experience of old age can indeed be fruitful if picked at the right time, like a steak aged and rotted for maximum glutamic acid.

Classic album.

If you can't fuck with this, like, do you even like hip hop?

Ka's lyrics are often second to none. If people could just get past the "monotone" vocals they'd discover someone who literally takes days to write songs due to how much thought and care he puts into every line. He plays with rhyme patterns effortlessly, all while painting the most vivid pictures you'll hear this year.

This album is a lot more minimalist than Grief Pedigree, which has more head nodding soul loops. But it works perfect. I'm so glad the album is getting love.

Another thing: the vivid lyrics never become graphic. He doesn't have to detail who got shot where. You can tell he's truly haunted by shit he's seen. In a way it reminds me of Lovecraft horror where the reaction to terror is often described more vividly than the terror/monster itself.

you had me till you started talking about rotting steak. Throw that in the bushes and get me a fresh well done steak breh

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
Real Top Ten Tentative of 2013-2009; Esch edition

1. Good Kid, mAAd City
2. XXX
3. Cigarette Boats
4. Covert Coup
5. The Night's Gambit
6. Flockaveli
7. KRIT Wuz Here
8. Russian Roulette
9. Old
10. Live Love A$AP

RUNNERS UP:
Section 80, My Beautiful Twisted Dark Fantasy, Yeezus, Return of 4eva, Pilot Talk, Cancer 4 Cure, RAP Music, Self Made Vol. 1, Rare Chandeliers.

I fuck with this list hard except the danny brown stuff.... i still can't vibe to his stuff

Esch

Banned
Ka's lyrics are often second to none. If people could just get past the "monotone" vocals they'd discover someone who literally takes days to write songs due to how much thought and care he puts into every line. He plays with rhyme patterns effortlessly, all while painting the most vivid pictures you'll hear this year.

This album is a lot more minimalist than Grief Pedigree, which has more head nodding soul loops. But it works perfect. I'm so glad the album is getting love.

Another thing: the vivid lyrics never become graphic. He doesn't have to detail who got shot where. You can tell he's truly haunted by shit he's seen. In a way it reminds me of Lovecraft horror where the reaction to terror is often described more vividly than the terror/monster itself.

you had me till you started talking about rotting steak. Throw that in the bushes and get me a fresh well done steak breh

I agree, I love that the street tales never get into that violent or glorified stuff. Ka never tries to paint himself as some sort of Don or Boss or King, and is merely content to play the Historian/scholar of the court. That's one of the fallacies of most street albums, they devolve into boastery. This is even the case with dudes like Roc.

If you've ever been to a steakhouse, you've had rotted and aged steak (30-50 days). Even the steak you get in a grocery store is at least two weeks old. Same goes for Tuna, quality cheese, and many other things you stuff into your face happily. The idea that something is best when 'fresh' is incorrect, according to tradition and most people's taste.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
1. Good Kid, mAAd City (2012)
2. Revenue Retrievin': Overtime Shift/Graveyard Shift (2011)
3. Based on a T.R.U. Story (2012)
4. Blue Dream & Lean (2011)
5.Rich Gang (2013)
6. Habits & Contradictions (2012)
7. Hell: The Sequel (2011)
8. Born Sinner (2013)
9. Sir Luscious Left Foot: The Son of Chico Dusty (2010)
10. BlaQKout (2009)

Grzi

You're right in the sense that Teflon Don is more influential with BMF putting on that Lex Luger sound, but I like the songs on SMV1 more.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUeLNimOjmk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5spMjy8uhc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZW1STjbKSs

MMG actually makes the best posse/team cuts in the biz tbh, even if I think they're really stale right now.

I do need to give DtR and TD a relisten though. It's been years.

Shit, Pandemonium is on SM Vol. 1?
I bumped that track a lot when it leaked. Goes to show how little I've listened to the album, I'll definitely give it a go tomorrow.

Macca

1. Good Kid, mAAd City (2012)
2. Revenue Retrievin': Overtime Shift/Graveyard Shift (2011)
3. Based on a T.R.U. Story (2012)
4. Blue Dream & Lean (2011)
5.Rich Gang (2013)
6. Habits & Contradictions (2012)
7. Hell: The Sequel (2011)
8. Born Sinner (2013)
9. Sir Luscious Left Foot: The Son of Chico Dusty (2010)
10. BlaQKout (2009)
yeeeeeeeeeeees.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
Also listening to this KA album and Mr MFN Exquire is a better rapper to my ears. Noble Drew Ali is better than anything on KA's album.. Also are we doing top 10 from the last 5 years cause I want to do top 10 of the year first.

Esch

Banned
BOATS should get dap honestly. Its a commercially viable trap album that a really wide range of people can enjoy, the wordplay is funny as hell, beats are dope, and the singles are great.
Also listening to this KA album and Mr MFN Exquire is a better rapper to my ears. Noble Drew Ali is better than anything on KA's album

eXquire is a great rapper, i don't find him to be a great artist though. Too disorganized and meanders with his projects.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom