• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTV| 2Chainz on my neck, 1Finger in my anus

Status
Not open for further replies.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
That's the only thing keeping me from calling MBDTF a classic really. It had no massive influence. Maybe in 2-3 years we'll see people catching up to based Yeezy's coattails.

PBY

Banned
Also, Take Care>>> MBDTF

Take Care>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Watch The Throne.

S2uXm.jpg
tumblr_m76t4xgXUZ1rrhe80o1_500.gif

Trey

Lupe doesn't have a classic album. He has two very good ones. He's a story teller with a dry flow and little charisma, but his wordplay has a purposeful depth which is good if that's your kind of thing. The dude always has a message he's trying to push.

Imm0rt4l

lol @ the new lupe album cover. I'm a fan of lupe's fahrenheit all the way to the cool. Lasers was destined to be trash and all his mixtape stuff as of late are ass. Dudes become quite a cornball.

Lupe doesn't have a classic album. He has two very good ones. He's a story teller with a dry flow and little charisma, but his wordplay has a purposeful depth which is good if that's your kind of thing. The dude always has a message he's trying to push.

Dude is pretty versatile with his flow, I would hardly call him dry. I think the cool was an awesome concept album.

Pol_Pothead

Neo Member
Dude... what the fuuuuuuuuck at putting MBDTF and Take Care in the same group. Get out of here. MBDTF changed hip hop. It might be the greatest rap album of all time.

Lol relax man it's not about the grouping, I ain't even listened to Take Care. I was just trying to point out that just because some albums are liked by a majority of people and also have strong critical backing, it doesn't mean it should be regarded as classic because that implies the album should be bulletproof when it's not going to resonate with everyone. I agree enzo more time needs to be given before you could label it like that but I dunno I just find it a problematic word. I mean to many Aquemini could be seen as a classic and it got 5 mics in The Source but I much prefer ATLiens so the word classic to me is kind of like whatever. I am also unsure whether influence is a good variable to throw in to the mix especially when you always have people willing to hop on coattails or chase a trend in the hope of gaining success. Is Flockaveli a classic because loads of people want to use Lex Luger beats and the trap sound now? Probably not, but it's certainly been influential.

SUPREME1

Banned
...the greatest rapper of all time?

But before you start naming names, I'd like you to take a step back and look at Hip Hop as a whole. As a genre of music, as a major piece of pop culture, as a way of life.

I'd like you to consider the impact the rapper has had on the rap game. Their discography. Hit singles, classic albums. Longevity and relevance. Persona/charisma. Technique, style, wordplay. Their contribution to hip-hop. What do they bring to the party; what is their contribution?

Consider everything before you make your pick.

That said, my pick is
......NAS

I had him in my top 5 for the longest time. But only just a few minutes ago, I realized that he holds the number one spot when you take everything into consideration.

Anyone else agree? Disagree?

Who's your pick?

Who is... the greatest rapper of all time?

Cudder

Note: Best flow doesn't equal best lyrics. Since I have to point out the obvious to people like you most of the time.

My comment WAS aimed at the fact that you said he had the best flow. Why would you think it had anything to do with his lyrics?

My comment WAS aimed at the fact that you said he had the best flow. Why would you think it had anything to do with his lyrics?

Only way you could disagree is if you are thinking about lyrics. Big Sean definitely has one of the best flows in the game right now without a doubt. Especially out of some of the new rappers. Plus, keep in mind I'm saying one of the best flows, not best flow period.

kamspy

See I'm not knocking Lupe either. Much like Lil Wayne or Eminem, if you mention liking them without a lengthy qualifier most people imply that you like him as much as the most vocal stans do, which IMO is overrated. Dude is nice as hell but just doesn't have the gumption to really take a solo album there. I could say the same thing about AZ or Inspectah Deck, and I sure as hell like them a lot, but they can't really carry a solo album to soaring heights. Lupe would be in that club.

IrishNinja

might fuck with slaughterhouse later this week, some friends at work wont stop talking about it but im just not in that rappity rap mood yet

You guys talked about Talib Kweli yet? Can't stop listening to this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ww61xukChmQ

i havent liked a talib track in a minute, but this was nice - thanks man. he needs more like this

he made two damn good albums. Feature guy? The fuck feature has he killed besides Touch The Sky?

yeah, this was my first thought too.

Dude... what the fuuuuuuuuck at putting MBDTF and Take Care in the same group. Get out of here. MBDTF changed hip hop. It might be the greatest rap album of all time.

ohyou.jpg
for real though pete, waitin on your detailed explanation how that album changed shit, im interested!

last few posts are making me shit blood

bleh

feelin this post

I could say the same thing about AZ or Inspectah Deck, and I sure as hell like them a lot, but they can't really carry a solo album to soaring heights. Lupe would be in that club.

this analogy spoke to me, co-signing

Cudder

Only way you could disagree is if you are thinking about lyrics. Big Sean definitely has one of the best flows in the game right now without a doubt. Especially out of some of the new rappers. Plus, keep in mind I'm saying one of the best flows, not best flow period.

Stop trying to explain to me what you said. I know what you said, and sorry, everything about Big Sean sucks.

Esch

Banned
Diggin the fuckoutta that ASAP tape. Yall cray.

EDIT 2: the mix on ASAP Mob isn't as bad as some of yall make it out to be. It's kinda a trademark of that old memphis sound they're trying so hard to ape.

I like it quite a bit honestly, these ninjas cant rap tho is all and they all sound the same

Stop trying to explain to me what you said. I know what you said, and sorry, everything about Big Sean sucks.

How so though? Don't hate just to hate, I don't like Big Sean much, but I won't deny his flow is better than most rappers coming out with their average ass flows. He actually tries to handle tracks differently than most. If I made a top 15 maybe 10, out of rappers with the best flows as of late, he would definitely make the list.

kamspy

GOAT - Ice Cube. Nobody out there has 50% the range or mic presence. It's not even close. Dude can work a mic like no other. He gets it. Content is greatly varied to. Political shit. Humorous shit. Hype shit. You name it.

See I'm not knocking Lupe either. Much like Lil Wayne or Eminem, if you mention liking them without a lengthy qualifier most people imply that you like him as much as the most vocal stans do, which IMO is overrated. Dude is nice as hell but just doesn't have the gumption to really take a solo album there. I could say the same thing about AZ or Inspectah Deck, and I sure as hell like them a lot, but they can't really carry a solo album to soaring heights. Lupe would be in that club.

me agreeing with kam? stop the presses

Allow me to lighten the mood with one of the best crossover songs ever:

Gorillaz - November Has Come (ft. MF DOOM)

this isn't Wu-Tang + System of a Down - Shame on a Ni**a

I've got a gun the size of a black hole
shoot planets don't get frantic

c'mon!

kamspy

any of his later albums good?

His last three he released independently; Laugh Now Cry Later, Raw Footage and I Am the West are all good. Raw Footage being his strongest album since his heyday. I love that he foots the entire bill for creating and distributing them and doesn't put a single pop track on any of it. Just does it for the love.

Really slept on 4.5 mic album.

Recon

Banned
Laugh Now Cry Later was horrid. So was that reality show he was always pimping it out on. The one where they made white girls black and basically gave a black family a bunch of money to simulate "being white".

So nobody is even going to come close to taking verse of the year away from Andre on that Gorillaz track are they?

Danny brown on Terriost Threats
Andre 3000 on sixteen
Gunplay on Cartoons & Cereal
Mr. muthafuckin exquire on Russian Roulette
Nas on Triple Beam Dreams

are all superior and that's just without me thinking hard.

PBY

Banned
I used to think that the goat was either Nas or Rakim... But I honestly think its Kanye now. Not the best rapper- but by far the most versatile, evolutionary emcee/producer combo hip hop has ever seen.

Recon

Banned
Mine still goes to Danny Brown on Terrorist Threat.

Listening to it right now. Where's the horrid? Point me to a track, I'm not finding one...

I havnt listened to it since it dropped. I just remember really not feeling it at all.

I used to think that the goat was either Nas or Rakim... But I honestly think its Kanye now. Not the best rapper- but by far the most versatile, evolutionary emcee/producer combo hip hop has ever seen.

That makes him a legend, but GOAT? Nah, thats purely someone who is a great MC.

Laugh Now Cry Later was horrid. So was that reality show he was always pimping it out on. The one where they made white girls black and basically gave a black family a bunch of money to simulate "being white".

Haha, I believe it was actually called Black, White

PBY

Banned
His evolution kind of sucks. Kanye's best album is his first.
Maybe- but stop and think for a second- what rapper has been able to adopt their rhymes/style to their evolution as a person and maintain that level of quality? Jay z? Nas? Em? Not even close. Kanye is in uncharted waters, he's the closest rap has to Michael Jackson, a rapper with staying power, critical mass AND critical acclaim. He's a fucking stadium act that doesn't have to rely on his old hits- you know how hard that is to do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom