• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTV| 2Chainz on my neck, 1Finger in my anus

Status
Not open for further replies.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Gave the Detroit tape another listen...I think I like it better than his album. If this was an album, I would probably buy it on sale on amazon at some point.
This is weird. The production and the lyrical finesse is way better on the album TBH.

Recon

Banned
This is weird. The production and the lyrical finesse is way better on the album TBH.

I loved the production on the last album, but this style of production is a better fit, IMO. Also, he stepped his lyrics and his features are better. Also, no Nicki, so there's that.

No ID is too good for Sean, and a much better fit with someone like Common.

Esch

Banned
guys dont make me download a Big Sean mixtape again.

im not surprised, the FF mixtapes were way better

I didn't really feel like talking about it(because I like this way much more than I ever should), but I don't see how you can think Sean lyrical finesse is better on the FF album.

I'm actually surprised at some of the shit he is saying on the Detroit tape and let me just say Royce should be ashamed TBH. I never thought I'd say a Big Sean verse was better than a Royce verse, son was sleeping through the whole thing.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I loved the production on the last album, but this style of production is a better fit, IMO. Also, he stepped his lyrics and his features are better. Also, no Nicki, so there's that.

No ID is too good for Sean, and a much better fit with someone like Common.
Some of the better songs off of Detroit definitely attune themselves to Big Sean's style really well, because they sound a lot like his previous tapes.

I just really don't like Mula/Do What I Gotta Do/RWT. I mean Sean is really versatile, so he makes those songs bearable, but it doesn't fit his style very well and just comes across as him trying to ride *that* kind of southern production style that's suited to other artists. That brings down Detroit heavy and doesn't make it nearly as cohesive as FF, which was pretty damn cohesive from start to finish.

I knew it was going to be the trap songs, you don't ever seem to like those type of beats at all. But Mula is so ridiculous and silly, I think Big Sean handles the beat in his way pretty well. Oh and Big Sean made a great use of Chris Brown, best chris brown feature in my eyes within the last year or two or forever.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I knew it was going to be the trap songs, you don't ever seem to like those type of beats at all. But Mula is so ridiculous and silly, I think Big Sean handles the beat in his way pretty well. Oh and Big Sean made a great use of Chris Brown, best chris brown feature in my eyes within the last year or two or forever.
Not true, I love the beats but it needs the proper rapper. I'm banging that 2 Chainz HEAVY right now, and I still think dude is garbage, but he flows to those beats perfectly.

Big Sean still can ride those beats, like I said he's very versatile and dude can flow over pretty much anything, but it just doesn't hold a candle to stuff like So Much More, What Goes Around, I Do It, 24K, etc.

I'm not saying it's bad, I'm just saying it's relatively not as good. I'm liking the Detroit mixtape a lot regardless though. Came as a surprise to me after all the failed singles for Sean's second album.

Recon

Banned
Not true, I love the beats but it needs the proper rapper. I'm banging that 2 Chainz HEAVY right now, and I still think dude is garbage, but he flows to those beats perfectly.

Big Sean still can ride those beats, like I said he's very versatile and dude can flow over pretty much anything, but it just doesn't hold a candle to stuff like So Much More, What Goes Around, I Do It, 24K, etc.

I'm not saying it's bad, I'm just saying it's relatively not as good. I'm liking the Detroit mixtape a lot regardless though. Came as a surprise to me after all the failed singles for Sean's second album.

They dropped singles for his second album? I completely missed those lol.

Honestly, only track, I don't care for at all is the Tyga ft one. If he did something with 24k, How does it feel type production, I'd love it a lot.
They dropped singles for his second album? I completely missed those lol.

I was about to say the same honestly.

20120906-WUSHOCK.jpg

CRS

holy shit so fucking excited for this, J&J+Danny? Fuck.

Seriously, hype at critical levels right now. Best news I've heard all week. And with Give Me My Flowers finally delivering some quality Blu, great time to be a Blu fan again.

Loving Give Me My Flowers as well. I think PD mentioned this but this album is what you get when you get Below the Heavens and mix it with Her Favorite Colo(u)r.

I think I might end up liking this more than Below the Heavens just because it's so much like HFC.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Blu is super wack but I'm down to check out the mastered version of that album. I streamed the unmastered version and I loved it, really in the same vein as BTH but different in a lot of ways too.

T Dollarz

Wait, there's another Blu project worth checking out? As someone whose favorite album of all time is Below the Heavens, but haven't listened to anything else outside of the Give Me Flowers unmastered last year (which I didn't feel at all), should I peep anything else?

And yall really gonna make me check out this Detroit tape, huh? Keep in mind, I despised that 2 Chainz album.

Acid08

Banned
As one of the only Blu stans here, I've been giving Flowers a bunch of spins over the past couple days. Gonna write something up about the mastered version but, as of right now, I actually kind of miss the super low-fi sound of the unmastered version. It matched some of the songs better. Probably just because I listened to the unmastered album so many fucking times and grew to really love it.

It's growing on me with each listen though. BTH still is better.

As one of the only Blu stans here, I've been giving Flowers a bunch of spins over the past couple days. Gonna write something up about the mastered version but, as of right now, I actually kind of miss the super low-fi sound of the unmastered version. It matched some of the songs better. Probably just because I listened to the unmastered album so many fucking times and grew to really love it.

that's why I didn't listen to it once. Waited for mastering to hear the finished product. I think the album is...good.

CRS

*dap* I need to find the lo-fi version of the album again. I thought I still had it but I guess I deleted it. Same with his collab with Madlib, ucla.

I haven't listened to a Blu album all the way through since BTH either. I've peeped out a few of his non mastered stuff here and there, but never listened to Her Favorite Colo(ur)

I listened to the unmastered version of Give me my flowers, mastered version is easier to listen to by far, but like Acid said that lo-fi sound added character to some of the tracks.

Acid08

Banned
I haven't listened to a Blu album all the way through since BTH either. I've peeped out a few of his non mastered stuff here and there, but never listened to Her Favorite Colo(ur)

It's great and was rereleased last year, get it.

HiResDes

Blu is super wack but I'm down to check out the mastered version of that album. I streamed the unmastered version and I loved it, really in the same vein as BTH but different in a lot of ways too.
Blu is super wack through the Enzo filter, tell me what that equals

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Blu is super wack through the Enzo filter, tell me what that equals
I haven't hear Her Favorite Colour, but Exile does a lot of the lifting on their two projects.

All the other shit I've heard from Blu, random singles from BTH to present with some electro-kind of stuff from what I remember has been super wack. You a fan of Mac Miller by any chance?

T Dollarz

I haven't hear Her Favorite Colour, but Exile does a lot of the lifting on their two projects.

All the other shit I've heard from Blu, random singles from BTH to present with some electro-kind of stuff from what I remember has been super wack. You a fan of Mac Miller by any chance?

Wait, are you saying that you haven't LISTENED to Below the Heavens?? My sweet Enzo...

Acid08

Banned

You should check out Her Favorite Colour and the Johnson & Johnson albums. Forreal, super dope stuff.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Wait, are you saying that you haven't LISTENED to Below the Heavens?? My sweet Enzo...
Bold the next two words.

You should check out Her Favorite Colour and the Johnson & Johnson albums. Forreal, super dope stuff.
HFC is on the list. Depending on how that goes I might check out the rest.

Speaking of bangers- What is everyone's banger of the year?

I'm gonna come out of left field with....

Piss Test (Danny Brown x Juicy J)

I Don't Like Remix is a close second
Hands on the Wheel count?

Tied with I Wish You Would.

PBY

Banned
Bold the next two words.

HFC is on the list. Depending on how that goes I might check out the rest.

Hands on the Wheel count?

Tied with I Wish You Would.

you can go hands on the wheel-- personally i think druggies w/ hoes pt 2 hits a little harder. Agree w/ I Wish You Would.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
you can go hands on the wheel-- personally i think druggies w/ hoes pt 2 hits a little harder. Agree w/ I Wish You Would.
YES

Oh how could I forget that, shit bangs indeed. <3 Druggies with Hoes series. #1 is one of my favorite songs ever.

I don't look at BTH at highly as most of you do, but I wouldn't call Blu super wack let alone wack haha, but I won't lie how I noticed he was treating his projects just made me ignore him and not care about his music.

Speaking of bangers- What is everyone's banger of the year?

I'm gonna come out of left field with....

Piss Test (Danny Brown x Juicy J)

I Don't Like Remix is a close second

Forgot about about that Piss Test.

You already listed my banger lol. Druggies w/Hoes pt. 2 is definitely banger for me. My 2nd is I don't like remix as well.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
I always think it's weird when people consider old Kanye "backpack." He's always been making popular mainstream rap music. That just meant something completely different ten years ago than it does today. Closest he came to back pack was weird one off features and tours when he was on the come up.

I remember a lot of Kanye's shit he did coming up more than I do on anything released after Graduation.
His track with Little Brother, Dilated Peoples, State Prop, Rhymefest, ect.

Anything after that is like a blur.

Robocop is the exception because that beat was godlike.

DominoKid

Some of the better songs off of Detroit definitely attune themselves to Big Sean's style really well, because they sound a lot like his previous tapes.

I just really don't like Mula/Do What I Gotta Do/RWT. I mean Sean is really versatile, so he makes those songs bearable, but it doesn't fit his style very well and just comes across as him trying to ride *that* kind of southern production style that's suited to other artists. That brings down Detroit heavy and doesn't make it nearly as cohesive as FF, which was pretty damn cohesive from start to finish.

how could you not like Mula and RWT. especially Mula (Praise gawwwd). him and French are cookin on that shit.

Recon

Banned
All of yall need to let this shit go. Jay will never make another reasonable doubt, Nas will never make another Illmatic.

Jesus Christ, let what go? How the fuck do you get anything other than CD/LR/GRAD were a gradual evolution in his sound?

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
That Kanye is dead.

Just like Old MMLP and Eminem Show Em is dead.

Let it go and move on basically.

That Kanye sold out to Jay. Same Jay -Z that didn't want to sign him to Rocafella as a artist. If Dame didn't do that sneaky shit and sign him anyway, the world would be quite different. Kanye would probably be hanging out and touring with Talib :|

Jesus Christ, let what go? How the fuck do you get anything other than CD/LR/GRAD were a gradual evolution in his sound?

Yea.

if you're gonna put Kanye's solo career into categories:

CD,LR,Grad/808s/MBIMDB/Traptronic

edit: shit I forgot about WTT, don't think I'd consider that a part of any of his solo styles.

Lhexh

CD/LR/GRAD were tied to a concept. Now my question to you is afterwards didn't the style switch up every album?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom