• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTV| 2Chainz on my neck, 1Finger in my anus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tokubetsu

Being facetious aside, Timbaland I think got sued over a Bollywood movie soundtrack sample for Put You On The Game on The Game's The Documentary album. Can't quite remember how but I think he got away with it. It's fucked up bcause I think it could get to a stage where only the bigger artists will be able to use whatever samples they feel like whereas it's going to be much more of a struggle for even middle tier and down producers to clear stuff to make hot songs. I just never anticipated people actually sueing over samples on free mixtapes. Makes me a sad panda for real.

Way of the world man. You can get away with murder in this country as long as the right folks get a cut.

Detox

George Washington? Do you mean George Clinton, or do you really mean Washington?
It's really late at night and president's last names fuck me over but yeah Clinton. I'm almost certain Dre didn't pay him royalties and he got away with it some of the older heads might be able to shed some light on it. I remember reading how Cube made sure Clinton was paid his dues.

Timbaland was in court over Big Pimping.
He requested permission to sample this track here but was denied.
He then replayed and recorded the sample.
As he never actually sampled the original work he was found not guilty.
Him and Dre on occasion have just replayed stuff straight up without requesting sample clearance since then.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
2pactribute.jpg

GAF, 2Pac is my favourite rapper of all time and yesterday was the anniversary of his death. I know there's a thread already for this, but I want y'all to post your favourite Pac tracks to commemorate dude's life and legacy.

Letter 2 My Unborn
Starin' Through My Rearview
My Block (this version)

The emotion and charisma brought to the mic by Pac is something I can never seem to find a match for in rap.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Timbaland was in court over Big Pimping.
He requested permission to sample this track here but was denied.
He then replayed and recorded the sample.
As he never actually sampled the original work he was found not guilty.
Him and Dre on occasion have just replayed stuff straight up without requesting sample clearance since then.
Holy shit, that's like the whole beat right there, lol.

Holy shit, that's like the whole beat right there, lol.

Haha, the beat for Big Pimpin' is pretty complex though, for such an obvious sample there's still a lot going on.

I just wanna hear the story of how Timbo came across that shit

One of the best things about being a Timbo fan was tracking down his samples.
I've learned about so many dope, and obscure as fuck, artists who I still never would've heard of to this day if not for Tim sampling them.

This little video barely scratches the surface on his range of sampling but is still pretty cool.

I could make a crazy sample mix if I knew how :(

Slizz

Haha, the beat for Big Pimpin' is pretty complex though, for such an obvious sample there's still a lot going on.

One of the best things about being a Timbo fan was tracking down his samples.
I've learned about so many dope, and obscure as fuck, artists who I still never would've heard of to this day if not for Tim sampling them.

This little video barely scratches the surface on his range of sampling but is still pretty cool.

I could make a crazy sample mix if I knew how :(

That is an awesome video....

Gotta say I've slept on Alley boy, listened to a few tracks here and there on 2dope but this dudes cover for his upcoming mixtape made me listen to his last 2 singles from it:

giftofdiscernmentcover.jpeg

Such an awesome cover.

New single Blame it on the Molly

2pactribute.jpg

GAF, 2Pac is my favourite rapper of all time and yesterday was the anniversary of his death. I know there's a thread already for this, but I want y'all to post your favourite Pac tracks to commemorate dude's life and legacy.

Letter 2 My Unborn
Starin' Through My Rearview
My Block (this version)

The emotion and charisma brought to the mic by Pac is something I can never seem to find a match for in rap.

changes
Hail Mary
Troublesome '96

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
So that Kreayshawn joint is hot garbage... but, the track "Left 3ye" is worth a listen for ignorance sake.

Cudi couldn't save the track he was on and Diplo continues to make an ass of himself.

Gunna go spin RAP Music again to cleanse the soul.

Tokubetsu

So that Kreayshawn joint is hot garbage... but, the track "Left 3ye" is worth a listen for ignorance sake.

Cudi couldn't save the track he was on and Diplo continues to make an ass of himself.

Gunna go spin RAP Music again to cleanse the soul.

The weird thing is it isn't like Diplo doesn't know how to make decent shit. It's like her purposely gave Kreay half-finished bullshit.

"Oh Kreayshawn wants beats? hahah let me go through my Projects folder and send her some shit from 2008 that I never finished or were terrible"

IrishNinja

radio here keeps playing my clique but leaving off ye's verse, which is the best one

Traveling yo. Got mad stuff to post soon.

bet! lookin forward to this post

Yeah game is all fucked right now. That's why I'm trying to perfect my non sample sound. No matter how obscure you dig, somebody is gonna find it. If you sell more than 10k units or generate any kinda buzz you're gonna get a suit. Not even worth it to try clearing as they'll probably ask for some ridiculous sum anyway.

...I just never anticipated people actually sueing over samples on free mixtapes. Makes me a sad panda for real.

damn, sad state of affairs.
reminds me though, finally found it on youtube: DJ Riz - Live from Brooklyn (1/2) , fun with some classic hip-hop (some r&b too) samples, first time i heard it i learned so many track samples i didn't know about before.

What's so great about people picking their favorite Pac joints is how different everyone's list are. Just such an awesome catalog of songs.

Old School
Me Against the World
Can't C Me
Got My Mind Made Up

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
old school
Pain
heartz of men
against all odds
white manz world
all about you

So Many Tears is my favorite pac track by far though. It's one of my favorite songs ever in fact.

Just got around to watching that Rock the Bells conference with X, kiss, Supernat, etc....

So awesome....best part tho, other than dmx twirkin all the damn time.....was sean price saying "I don't wanna be remembered, just forget about me."

Funniest shit ever....the delivery, the timing.....

sean P > all

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
It's really late at night and president's last names fuck me over but yeah Clinton. I'm almost certain Dre didn't pay him royalties and he got away with it some of the older heads might be able to shed some light on it. I remember reading how Cube made sure Clinton was paid his dues.

Some stuff he didn't sample... he replayed, making it not a sample

Blackace

Pac List..

sure

U Can't See me
I Ain't Mad at Cha
I Get Around
Brenda's Got a Baby
Me Against the World
Picture me Rolling

Blackace

got a show tonight with....

wait for it

wait foooooooor it

jewelzchingy.jpg

chingy! lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom