• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTV| 2Chainz on my neck, 1Finger in my anus

Status
Not open for further replies.

HiiiLife

i4A14NrE7tUCW.gif

Wassup GAF-Hop.

I have a question: As someone who has a bit of an interest in Hip-Hop, I lurk in here from time to time. And something that I've always observed is that whenever female MCs are mentioned they are received with a lot of disdain. Up-and-comers like Azealia Banks and Iggy Azalea, and even greats like Lil Kim and Missy Elliot don't get a whole lot of love or mentions here or male-dominated Hip-Hop communities.

Why is that?

Besides the obvious ("she's fucking so-and-so for a deal" , "she's a puppet who doesn't write her own rhymes"), why does it seem to be so hard for female MCs to get that respect? I mean, female poets and writers get plenty of respect. Cross into Hip-Hop (which is a natural jump for a lot of spoken word poets), and suddenly it becomes much harder to be vetted.

Part of the reason that I'm a member of PopGAF is because I tend to prefer female artists and Pop is usually dominated by female acts. But I'd love to get some recommendations on GAF-Hop approved female MCs. Which females get respect around here?

I like female rappers. MC Lyte and Jean Grae especially. Check em out.

You right tho. Not many mentions of female rappers in the thread.

Trey

i4A14NrE7tUCW.gif

Wassup GAF-Hop.

I have a question: As someone who has a bit of an interest in Hip-Hop, I lurk in here from time to time. And something that I've always observed is that whenever female MCs are mentioned they are received with a lot of disdain. Up-and-comers like Azealia Banks and Iggy Azalea, and even greats like Lil Kim and Missy Elliot don't get a whole lot of love or mentions here or male-dominated Hip-Hop communities.

Why is that?

Besides the obvious ("she's fucking so-and-so for a deal" , "she's a puppet who doesn't write her own rhymes"), why does it seem to be so hard for female MCs to get that respect? I mean, female poets and writers get plenty of respect. Cross into Hip-Hop (which is a natural jump for a lot of spoken word poets), and suddenly it becomes much harder to be vetted.

Part of the reason that I'm a member of PopGAF is because I tend to prefer female artists and Pop is usually dominated by female acts. But I'd love to get some recommendations on GAF-Hop approved female MCs. Which females get respect around here?

Swag, trap and ignorant rap dominate the mainstream hip hop scene nowadays, and in the mind's eye of the consumers, a woman doesn't really fit such a braggadocios mold. The amount of sexism that runs deep within the veins of the genre contributes to that as well. (It's probably the most significant reason.)

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
If Lil Kim is considered a great you already answered your question..

Oddly with the "crooning" trend I think a female Drake (insert joke here) could be really dope..

IrishNinja

Lyte, Latifah etc get respect i think, Missy's been loved since her first album, personally.

ya'll put me onto Bahamida but i still remember bumping the shit out of da Brat's first album, shit was fun in the day.

Blackace

Lyte, Latifah etc get respect i think, Missy's been loved since her first album, personally.

ya'll put me onto Bahamida but i still remember bumping the shit out of da Brat's first album, shit was fun in the day.

I loved the Brat... Too bad she is trash now.

Latifah and Lyte are the female GOATs... I oddly like Nicki

Also really thought Mia X was talented..

Tokubetsu

i4A14NrE7tUCW.gif

Wassup GAF-Hop.

Why is that?

I think everyone here has got love for Missy. She and Timbo created some huge tracks (and albums). Outside that realm I only really have love for more "underground" female acts.

I have a lot of respect for Eternia:
http://youtu.be/IkiDJwse4kU

And I really liked K.Flay's 2010 EP:
http://youtu.be/pWiJizsmbug

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
There was a time Lyte went harder than most of these dudes rapping these days. Queen Latifah was talented as fuck. And oddly enough I always really liked Trina. She was a massive ho who fucked her way through the industry but for whatever reason I enjoyed her music despite the fact that I can't stand most female rappers.
Lady of Rage and Rah Digga might be the only other two female rappers I ever enjoyed at some point. And Dessa is great.

Was never a fan of Lauren Hill, Lil Kim was always average to terrible to me, Da Brat had a brief moment where she was making good music but always had an annoying voice, nicki minaaj is a fucking cancer, Missy always annoyed me for some reason but I can't deny she had some great songs. She's best when she she's pseudo singing rather than rapping though. She couldn't rap her way out of a paper bag filled with dildos.
Foxy Brown's had a brief moment where she was pretty good, but it didn't last long.

Salt and Pepper's Very Necessary is a GREAT fucking album.

I don't listen to a lot of female rappers because I have enough women yelling at me all the time already. :p

Blackace

I mess with Trina... That song that her and that stripper Tip Drill, just made with Gunplay is pretty dope

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
I mess with Trina... That song that her and that stripper Tip Drill, just made with Gunplay is pretty dope

I have fond memories of her and trick daddy putting out some great music for a time. Living in southern florida during the peak of their careers, I heard their music eveeeeerywhere.

IrishNinja

cant believe i forgot Rah digga, yeah. trina was huge down here, around the same time as trick daddy.

I liked Ms. Hill a lot... Wished she had a longer run really

i think that's most of us, yeah..not familiar with Mia X though

as an aside: "my chick bad, lookin like a bag of money" sounds like it should be an ad for a female gym to me
ross is like the Wario of hip-hop to me

Esch

Banned
i4A14NrE7tUCW.gif

Wassup GAF-Hop.

Why is that?

I dont fuck with any female rapper besides MC Lyte, and yes that includes Missy Elliot and Lauryn.

As for why.... *shrug*. I dunno. I guess its because a lot of their albums are kinda lacking either the substance or the swaggeur of male counterparts, and a lot of them overcompensate with sexuality or with sass (i know too many sassy chicks already).

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Common showing signs of his inner hood, saying shit like:

"click click click it's murderous, adventure of.... you heard of us lambos is mercyless, bankrolls and purchases / ask my bottom bottom bitch hoe what type of purse she get"
"got these bitches waving at me like it's a parade."

Where was this guy at on Cruel Summer? o_O

Edit: Big Sean and Cyhi too. If these dudes were dropping verses like this on a consistent basis, Cruel Summer would have been gdlk.

JackEtc

that actually sounds pretty cool, though i wonder how it went from 8-130, haha. that's crazy though, awesome experience man.

my favorite wu moment was last rock the bells down here years ago when Meth was talmbout an ODB tribute and some dude yelled "FUCK ODB" and he just jumped down & kicked the shit outta dude; i mean like instantly, there was no thought there, it just happened.

From 8-1:30 there was like 6 opening acts. It was kinda lame, but some of the rappers were alright. Worth the wait.

And that's hilarious! I woulda loved if meth showed up.

The Rizza

Ordered that Raekwon Purple Tape Boxset and probably going to order the GZA Chess Boxset too. I really like unique boxsets like this, are there any other sites that offer stuff like this that I should check out?

Esch

Banned
Ordered that Raekwon Purple Tape Boxset and probably going to order the GZA Chess Boxset too. I really like unique boxsets like this, are there any other sites that offer stuff like this that I should check out?

Dunno, but they also released a return to the 36 odb special you could cop as well.

i4A14NrE7tUCW.gif

Wassup GAF-Hop.

Why is that?

I think a lot of it has to do with the way the industry is set up. It's very hard for a female MC to be popular or stay relevant if they don't fit a certain image - either some type of hood fabulous (Foxy Brown, Charlie Baltimore) persona or the even more hyper sexualized plaything (Kim, Nicki). Usually there are only a small handful of female MCs who are relevant at one time, and they are almost always beefing with each other - they're fighting over the same market share basically, when in reality there is more than enough space for everyone.

Lauryn Hill and Missy really upended those stereotypes by being extremely talented and not particularly sexual; they're women rapping/singing about love and even sex too, but it's not their sole focus. Unfortunately both pretty much fizzled out and disappeared, and the blueprint they left behind has pretty much been abandoned.

I think Banks is a good rapper and very talented, but can tell she is putting herself in a box in terms of her behavior (dissing other rappers, pulling the race card on Iggy, etc). Iggy strikes me as a white Nicky; there's nothing really new about her, she feels like a studio clone.

If I had to name a respected female MC I'd say Jean Grae. Very good rapper, lots of cosigns, etc. She's not popular per se though but imo it's more to do with being on a bad indie label. She's sexy but is more focused on making people respect her pen - which IMO is what this is all about. There's a double standard for female rappers that I would compare to the one for white rappers: you've got to be very good, and have few gimmicks, in order to truly gain respect. Eminem wasn't really, truly respected until Eminem Show because it showed he had consistency and content beyond pop horror-core. The standards he was held to forced him to be a very technical rapper just to get a foot in the door, and I'd say the same is true for female rappers. Just having your tits out doesn't get you respect, or being able to flow well (ie Nicki).

IrishNinja

I guess its because a lot of their albums are kinda lacking either the substance or the swaggeur of male counterparts, and a lot of them overcompensate with sexuality or with sass (i know too many sassy chicks already).

what you just said doesnt fit lauryn or missy's shit either though. also ive known bragadocious/thug dudes, not sure how that'd affect albums in rotation for me.

i think PD's talk on the double standard of what's expected/taken from female MC's is pretty true, personally. using my prior example of Brat: she went down the sexualized route and went to shit.

I thought Luaryn Hill was the best rapper on The Score...

that's cause she was

HiResDes

Nice post PD

They are some new females holding it down as well:

Raven Sorvino
Angel Haze
Jaydavey
RatheMC
Amber London
Stash

Iggy really isnt too bad either

Esch

Banned
what you just said doesnt fit lauryn or missy's shit either though. also ive known bragadocious/thug dudes, not sure how that'd affect albums in rotation for me.

I know, i just dont like either of them.

I've definitely had a couple of male rappers get downgraded in my book for similar tryhardery though

kamspy

So was the leaked version of CS same as the one released today?

Just got the CD. Same tracks. AQ on the CD vs the aac rip I had is night and day. More so than usual. Lots of little layers in the beats really pop a lot more. Cold has some extra little tweaks. Case is decent. It's got one of those horrible poster things for linear notes. Picture on the poster looks like it was taken during the Mercy shoot.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
eve was pretty good for a minute as well. But Lauryn hill is still the G.O.A.T. of female rappers.

Which brings up another point isn't it weird more male rappers are RnB singers on the side when history shows that a female rapper who could sing will pull in that $$$ and critical acclaim.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom