• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTV| 2Chainz on my neck, 1Finger in my anus

Status
Not open for further replies.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
OMG no. All Black Everything was overrated as fuck. Never understood the love for that track. LASERS had no highs. Straight garbage.
It is very overrated, but still better than the majority of F&LII.

Letting Go was some straight out of The Cool shit. And Break The Chain was a dope song that Sway murked. I can see you not liking Break The Chain though.

T Dollarz

I listened to F&L2 in the car ride home today. Sounded so good.

Kendrick, Ab, and Jay Rock tomorrow night. FUCK. YES. my first show since i saw Cole/KRIT at a shitty campus venue earlier this year.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
Big Boi
Jay Rock
Danny Brown+J&J
Ghostface
Kendrick

Holy shit, dat release schedule!!!!!!!
the only one i listened too kendrick. man i should really back track. i ve missed so much shit in the past couple months. ive had fucking big seans tape on repeat for the last few days, that dude cannot sing for shit.

themagnum

Neo Member
LASERs did have some good songs: Letting Go, Words I Never Said, and Break the Chain. Regardless, I don't see why you'd waste your time trying to convince me the songs that I find enjoyable are bad. My question was about Soundtrakk, not what the community-acceptable Lupe CDs/songs were.

Recon

Banned
LASERs did have some good songs: Letting Go, Words I Never Said, and Break the Chain. Regardless, I don't see why you'd waste your time trying to convince me the songs that I find enjoyable are bad. My question was about Soundtrakk, not what the community-acceptable Lupe CDs/songs were.

You are gonna go far here kid.

themagnum

Neo Member
You are gonna go far here kid.

I've been a member for years, not to mention years of lurking. Its a pointless argument to try to convince someone the artist/songs they like suck, it never turns out well. "Oh man, I loved this song until you told me it was repetitive and shallow!"

FnL2 was such a let down for me that I felt the need to post and find out what happened with his fallout with Soundtrakk. I had a legitimate question. The lack of Soundtrakk is the reason why LASERs and FnL2 are terrible overall.

e: I only usually come to this thread for the great recommendations.

Recon

Banned
I've been a member for years, not to mention years of lurking. Its a pointless argument to try to convince someone the artist/songs they like suck, it never turns out well. "Oh man, I loved this song until you told me it was repetitive and shallow!"

FnL2 was such a let down for me that I felt the need to post and find out what happened with his fallout with Soundtrakk. I had a legitimate question. The lack of Soundtrakk is the reason why LASERs and FnL2 are terrible overall.

e: I only usually come to this thread for the great recommendations.

I was specifically talking about this thread. Also, the over all response to F&L2 is mixed at worst. F&L2 was good. Search for your soundtrakk somewhere else.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Just shows how controversial Lupe lyrics are. Can't handle The Cool

Just throwing my 2 cents in, but all the tracks people like best are the ones where he goes into deep metaphor mode. I think that's because he cloaks the preachyness in layers of imagery where the message is more laid out, rather than shoved in your face so much. I can see how people could not like records like this...I imagine it's the same reaction I get whenever some of y'all go batshit for the newest Lil B record or whatever super-ignant shit is hot for the week. Some of that I just can't vibe to, so it's just a matter of outlook sometimes.

But y'all still wrong about F&L2 being worse than Life is Super Fucking Boring.

Cudder

Kendrick_Lamar-Good_Kid_Mad_City_art.jpeg

Can someone avatar-ize this for me? Getting on the hype train. AOTY.

Just throwing my 2 cents in, but all the tracks people like best are the ones where he goes into deep metaphor mode. I think that's because he cloaks the preachyness in layers of imagery where the message is more laid out, rather than shoved in your face so much. I can see how people could not like records like this...I imagine it's the same reaction I get whenever some of y'all go batshit for the newest Lil B record or whatever super-ignant shit is hot for the week. Some of that I just can't vibe to, so it's just a matter of outlook sometimes.

But y'all still wrong about F&L2 being worse than Life is Super Fucking Boring.

I think most people here admit to that. I do at least. I'm all for putting a message in your songs, but at the same time I feel like he should be giving 100% in other areas at the same time so it's entertaining to listen to which i felt like 80% of F&L2 doesn't do. You know like it's cool he has these deep lines he put into that I can understand a fanbase might want to decipher and stuff, but to me that's the kind of stuff that looks nice on paper but his execution of it just don't cut it.

P.S. I think the whole grow up in different era shit is such BS, I can't believe Fixed2BBroken actually said that because for the most part everyone here likes the same exact 90s shit and we have people here who listened to older 80s stuff who don't feel Lupe like that.

Also, what little I do like of F&L2, i like more than Life is Good. Can't believe I'd be saying that this year.

Recon

Banned
I think im just gonna stop replying to F&L2 posts. I think F&L2 isnt as brilliant as The Cool/F&L1, but it is a damn good effort and fully makes up for the abortion that was LASERS. May not be your cup of tea, but it fully satisfies me. Lupe Back, Lupe back, everyone screaming Lupe back.

themagnum

Neo Member
I think most people here admit to that. I do at least. I'm all for putting a message in your songs, but at the same time I feel like he should be giving 100% in other areas at the same time so it's entertaining to listen to which i felt like 80% of F&L2 Lupe doesn't do. You know like it's cool he has these deep lines he put into that I can understand a fanbase might want to decipher and stuff, but to me that's the kind of stuff that looks nice on paper but his execution of it just don't cut it.

I agree completely; the instrumentals were lackluster at best. If I don't enjoy the music behind the lyrics, then I'm probably not going to enjoy the overall song. It doesn't mean that I didn't like his lyrics, it's just that I didn't enjoy listening to the song.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I think most people here admit to that. I do at least. I'm all for putting a message in your songs, but at the same time I feel like he should be giving 100% in other areas at the same time so it's entertaining to listen to which i felt like 80% of F&L2 doesn't do. You know like it's cool he has these deep lines he put into that I can understand a fanbase might want to decipher and stuff, but to me that's the kind of stuff that looks nice on paper but his execution of it just don't cut it.

P.S. I think the whole grow up in different era shit is such BS, I can't believe Fixed2BBroken actually said that because for the most part everyone here likes the same exact 90s shit and we have people here who listened to older 80s stuff who don't feel Lupe like that.

Also, what little I do like of F&L2, i like more than Life is Good. Can't believe I'd be saying that this year.

For instance, Ab Soul goes on some "save the whales" tangents, but he made a better record than Lupe this year, because he had some balance to it. I get that. But after Lasers, having Lupe come back with a good-to-great album is a great rebound. Lambo Angels, Put Em Up, Audobon Ballroom, Form Follows Function, Strange Fruition, Battle Scars, Cold War and yes, even Around My Way, are all songs I'm really digging right now. Don't like Roses or Bitch Bad (those are the ridiculously preachy tracks) and I don't know who Poo Bear is, but both those tracks with him on it suck.

For instance, Ab Soul goes on some "save the whales" tangents, but he made a better record than Lupe this year, because he had some balance to it. I get that. But after Lasers, having Lupe come back with a good-to-great album is a great rebound. Lambo Angels, Put Em Up, Audobon Ballroom, Form Follows Function, Strange Fruition, Battle Scars, Cold War and yes, even Around My Way, are all songs I'm really digging right now. Don't like Roses or Bitch Bad (those are the ridiculously preachy tracks) and I don't know who Poo Bear is, but both those tracks with him on it suck.

Honestly I forgot all about the whole Lupe back thing because I swore fans were saying that when he dropped that Friends of the People mixtape last year, so when I listened to F&L2, I wasn't exactly listening to it to see if Lupe was back and Lasers was far from my mind when I listened to it. I wasn't really comparing F&L2 to anything, I do think it's solid though and definitely a big step up from Lasers, I dig the beats much more.

But i just think what I like from Lupe is different from most people cause my favorite songs from him are Daydreaming and Paris,Tokyo
young kendrick looks like such a creature

looks like a gremlin

CRS

Honestly I forgot all about the whole Lupe back thing because I swore fans were saying that when he dropped that Friends of the People mixtape last year, so when I listened to F&L2, I wasn't exactly listening to it to see if Lupe was back and Lasers was far from my mind when I listened to it. I wasn't really comparing F&L2 to anything, I do think it's solid though and definitely a big step up from Lasers, I dig the beats much more.

But i just think what I like from Lupe is different from most people cause my favorite songs from him are Daydreaming and Paris,Tokyo

looks like a gremlin

The Paris,Tokyo remix is fucking amazing. I love Daydreamin' too.

Daydreamin' + The Cool is one of my favorite back-to-back pieces right there. The highest of his entire career right there.

Recon

Banned
Now I can’t pledge allegiance to your flag
Cause I can’t find no reconciliation with your past
When there was nothing equal for my people in your math
You forced us in the ghetto and then you took our dads
The belly of the beast, these streets are demons’ abs
I’m telling you that setup in them sit-ups is so sad
The system is a slab
Corruption is the swinger sittin’ high ridin’ dirty, drag racin’ into danger
And it’s so clean, pine trees smellin’ good
We work off in the trunk and niggas in the hood
So I can’t shed blood on any battlefield of yours
I pray the ugly truth comes and shatters your decor
And as it all falls down and tatters on the floor
I shed tears, I don’t know what really matters anymore
Cause I don’t know what really matters anymore

Now, I cant see how anyone who loved Lupe before not loving shit like this. Is it a bit preachy? Yes, is it banging you over the head, no. He has been doing this since he started, by now you either love it or not.

Promise my last post related to F&L2

Maybe...

CRS

Fuck that shit. People talk about other crap too all the time (Kanye). Don't see why Lupe talk should be limited.

Also, just got sucked into Torchlight 2. FUCK.

So much homework... not enough time.

themagnum

Neo Member
The system is a slab

Now, I cant see how anyone who loved Lupe before not loving shit like this.

Agreed. One of the best songs on the CD. I hate to bring it up again, but this is Soundtrakk's only song on the album.

Lupe's lyrics are still good, it's just the quality of the cd overall/instrumentation/etc. that really hurt it. He might as well just release a poetry book if he's going to phone in the instrumentals.

Recon

Banned
I liked most of the beats. Only ones I did not like were Heart Donor(such a bad song) and How Dare You(just didnt vibe well with the rest of the album).

The system is a slab

Now, I cant see how anyone who loved Lupe before not loving shit like this. Is it a bit preachy? Yes, is it banging you over the head, no. He has been doing this since he started, by now you either love it or not.

Promise my last post related to F&L2

Maybe...

Cmon recon, that second verse is even better

Recon

Banned
I bought Lloyds first album when it first dropped. I remember nothing about it though. I guess that might be a bad thing.

You know what I think really lit a fire under Lupe's ass?

Lil B's I'm Gay album.

Seriously. Remember how enthusiastically Lupe received that album and how pleased he was at its attempts at social awareness?
I think it showed him that at some point, some kids, somewhere were listening.
This fact might've been inspiration enough for him to tackle some of the topics he does on F&L2 and make it the kind of record that it is.

So basically... TYBG!

You guys make my head hurt...

you love it
You know what I think really lit a fire under Lupe's ass?

Lil B's I'm Gay album.

Seriously. Remember how enthusiastically Lupe received that album and how pleased he was at its attempts at social awareness?
I think it showed him that at some point, some kids, somewhere were listening.
This fact might've been inspiration enough for him to tackle some of the topics he does on F&L2 and make it the kind of record that it is.

So basically... TYBG!
lol

I will. I was gonna post vids from the Kendrick show but the sound is just blown out from recording on my phone.

any chance at the setlist for kendrick? I'm seeing him in like 2 weeks!

also where are you seeing A$AP in november? I'm seeing them + DB + Schoolboy in Richmond

Cudder

any chance at the setlist for kendrick? I'm seeing him in like 2 weeks!

also where are you seeing A$AP in november? I'm seeing them + DB + Schoolboy in Richmond

Forget the setlist man, just enjoy the show. Don't wanna kill the hype a song brings when you first hear it come on over the loud speakers. Don't worry, it's a fucking rocking set.

I'm seeing ASAP in Oct.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom