• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTV| 2Chainz on my neck, 1Finger in my anus

Status
Not open for further replies.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Agree with the review Des, that's why Killer Mike can get away with the same thing that some people are criticizing Lupe for.

You know the difference? When Mike and Soul talk about an issue, they sound angry, like they remember where their balls are. When you're angry, you do shit. It comes across as more authentic. When Lupe preaches, he sounds depressed, like he's going to cry about it over his boba tea on the quad. He's constantly on some "raising awareness" shit, which is wha rich fucks do with fundraising lunches and college kids talk about to get laid. It's inauthentic and lazy.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
You know the difference? When Mike and Soul talk about an issue, they sound angry, like they remember where their balls are. When you're angry, you do shit. It comes across as more authentic. When Lupe preaches, he sounds depressed, like he's going to cry about it over his boba tea on the quad. He's constantly on some "raising awareness" shit, which is wha rich fucks do with fundraising lunches and college kids talk about to get laid. It's inauthentic and lazy.

Pretty goddamn much. Lupe is every obnoxious college freshman who "had his eyes opened maaaan" rolled into one.
Sorry Recon, I know we were all standing as a united front just a moment ago, but...it's lupe man!

Recon

Banned
The thing is, he doesnt even try to say the things you guys accuse him of. His preachy-ness is surface level, but he never claims to be deeper than that. He doesnt try either. It is this label you guys put on him, then say some "entry level philosophy etc" shit. You might not like his content or "preaching", but dont throw BS labels around like that.

Around My Way is the only track resembling what you guys complain about. I get that it is annoying on that track, but, it really is not prevalent on the album.

Around My Way is probably the most annoying single of the year for me

jacked beat
preachy lyrics
seeing his stupid mug with his stupid hair in stupid clothes in that video

sorry rec :(

WanderingWind

The thing is, he doesnt even try to say the things you guys accuse him of. His preachy-ness is surface level, but he never claims to be deeper than that. He doesnt try either. It is this label you guys put on him, then say some "entry level philosophy etc" shit. You might not like his content or "preaching", but dont throw BS labels around like that.

Around My Way is the only track resembling what you guys complain about. I get that it is annoying on that track, but, it really is not prevalent on the album.

Bitch Bad and Roses are super preachy, and I'm a fan of F&L2 and Lupe.

Recon

Banned

But not in the way you guys were saying. They are preachy, but nothing actually shallow or wrong. Around My Way is the only one that could qualify under the "freshman philosophy student" or whatever was thrown around here,

Trey

I wouldn't say Bitch Bad is preachy, unless you consider highlighting any cultural faux pas - so to speak - as preachy.

He tells two stories on how the term is applied and the cognitive dissonance at work is on full display in the end when the stories/situations overlap. Pretty classic Lupe, actually.

Personally, it made me look at my own hypocrisy in liberally using the term "nigga" in every day life, while at the same time lamenting the fact that women call each other and themselves "bitches" all the time.

Now "we're not niggas!" (ITAL) is preachy, I'll give you that.

Cudder

Chip_Tha_Ripper_Tell_Ya_Friends-front-large.jpg

Isn't that Chip's kid, though?

WanderingWind

But not in the way you guys were saying. They are preachy, but nothing actually shallow or wrong. Around My Way is the only one that could qualify under the "freshman philosophy student" or whatever was thrown around here,

I think they're both super shallow. Bitch Bad is especially egregious, considering his masterful tackling of the same topic in one line on F&L. He took a hot line and made it a lame song.

T Dollarz

Yeah I guess I just don't see the "preachy" gripe. I find everything he raps about on the album quite interesting. Only songs I don't fuck with are Heart Donor and Battle Scars cause of the poppy sound, Lasers-esque.

Recon

Banned
I think they're both super shallow. Bitch Bad is especially egregious, considering his masterful tackling of the same topic in one line on F&L. He took a hot line and made it a lame song.

Bitch Bad isnt shallow though. Kinda preachy, but not really shallow. I dont even like the song though.

Yeah I'm not hearing Lupe being overly preachy or '1st term philosophy class' bad either outside of a few tracks, namely Roses and the singles.

"So many Ghosts in my garage they think my house is haunted" makes me smile every time so I can't hate on Mases verse.
Higher is actually the track I've listened to most on CS.

Oh, Lhexh meant to say 'Wu-Tang is (verbal) ass(assins) but he got cut off.

I think the biggest problem I have with fnl2 is that Lupe doesn't mesh well with most of the beats. It makes some of the songs, not bad, just kind of stale.

Yeah I'm not hearing Lupe being overly preachy or '1st term philosophy class' bad either outside of a few tracks, namely Roses and the singles.

"So many Ghosts in my garage they think my house is haunted" makes me smile every time so I can't hate on Mases verse.
Higher is actually the track I've listened to most on CS.

Oh, Lhexh meant to say 'Wu-Tang is (verbal) ass(assins) but he got cut off.

Connections getting worse these days.

Yeah I guess I just don't see the "preachy" gripe. I find everything he raps about on the album quite interesting. Only songs I don't fuck with are Heart Donor and Battle Scars cause of the poppy sound, Lasers-esque.

Same here.

And Lhexh's display was hilarious, also got art of peer pressure on repeat, Kendrick's storytelling is some of the best.

CRS

I thought I made it clear that I didn't think lupes lyrical content was the problem
Yeah, he's trying to mask the preachiness with the production and make the message of the album/track a lot more accessible to the average listener. The problem is that that same production is what hurts the quality of the album. Songs with production like Go 2 Sleep would have been perfect. Hell, What U Want should have been on this album. Fuck you Lupe for not finishing it.

Seriously, What U Want has it all. Somber, mellow production, three great verses, and a nice hook.

Fuck you Lupe.

CRS

I just dont think the production hurts it that much. And I think it has great production in some spots.
It doesn't do that much for it either. First listen was great and I was glad (still am) that I liked the album but after subsequent listens, I stopped paying attention and some tracks just turned to background/white noise for me.

Not a bad album at all. Just. A little above average.

Recon

Banned
It doesn't do that much for it either. First listen was great and I was glad (still am) that I liked the album but after subsequent listens, I stopped paying attention and some tracks just turned to background music for me.

Not a bad album at all. Just. A little above average.

I think the worst part is the weird shift in tone half way through the album. Heart Donor fucks up the whole vibe, and it takes a weird detour in terms of sound for a couple tracks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom