• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTV| 2Chainz on my neck, 1Finger in my anus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hell nah. But that shit was some lighthearted shit that he was in on. It's was in fun. It was corny, bombastic and everybody crooned along to it. But it wasn't a track to be taken seriously. Even he said so all the time.

But it's still a pretty big influence lol. I'm sure some rappers heard it and was like this is dope, I need to do something like this but they were much more serious

Recon

Banned
Damn...Sing About Me/Im Dying of Thirst is fucking crazy....this album..He definitely made a much more cohesive album than Section80. Best TDE release, and maybe AOTY..

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Speaking of Kanye, I threw a mix together. You know what's different about him? He's actually getting better at rapping as he gets older. His shit is so much better now than it was, lyrically and the way he puts together lines. Dropout is still his best shit because of the time it came out and the impact it made, but listen to his lyrics and try to ignore the production...he's undeniable gotten better.

Now, his production is much worse these days, IMO. Except when he gets on his White Dress shit. That track is old Kanye production and new Kanye flow. Great ass song.

And 808s was fucking terrible. Street Lights gets a listen from me when I'm feeling sad and shit, but then I put away the Hagen Daaz and get back to it, and the rest of that Xanax in lyrical form can miss me.

Speaking of Kanye, I threw a mix together. You know what's different about him? He's actually getting better at rapping as he gets older. His shit is so much better now than it was, lyrically and the way he puts together lines. Dropout is still his best shit because of the time it came out and the impact it made, but listen to his lyrics and try to ignore the production...he's undeniable gotten better.

Now, his production is much worse these days, IMO. Except when he gets on his White Dress shit. That track is old Kanye production and new Kanye flow. Great ass song.

And 808s was fucking terrible. Street Lights gets a listen from me when I'm feeling sad and shit, but then I put away the Hagen Daaz and get back to it, and the rest of that Xanax in lyrical form can miss me.

Nah. Go listen again. Get your smoke on if your into that. Chilled, and zone the fuck out

WanderingWind

Nah. Go listen again. Get your smoke on if your into that. Chilled, and zone the fuck out

That might be the missing ingredient. I can't smoke because of the career, but one day, I'll give it another listen. I've tried a couple of times though. It sucks. Kanye can't sing and masking it with shitty robo voice doesn't do it for me.

Recon

Banned

Kanyes lyrics may have gotten better, but I fucked with his flow so much more on CD/LR. Hes gotten annoying now.

WanderingWind

had some good highs.. I really like Heartless..

But as an album it is better than MDTFAUKHAIIG

So is getting a rusty axe to the nuts. Can't judge things against that affront to everything music has stood for since the dawn of the time.

Kanyes lyrics may have gotten better, but I fucked with his flow so much more on CD/LR. Hes gotten annoying now.

See, the things he talked about them were relatable. Nobody gives a fuck about his Birken hairnet and shiny cereal parties or whatever. What he's on now is total bullshit. But his flow and the way he raps has gotten better. If he stopped trying to be an incandescent ball of shimmering decadence and remembers that he grew up in Chicago, USA, he might be able to put together another true classic. He's definitely got it in him. Again, see White Dress.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
So is getting a rusty axe to the nuts. Can't judge things against that affront to everything music has stood for since the dawn of the time.

Nope, MDTODAHYDH is better than a rusty axe to the nuts, without a doubt..

Recon

Banned
My biggest problem with MBDTF is the mind boggling praise it gets within the hip hop community and outside. Like, people who hate rap are telling me its the best hip hop album ever. GTFO!

Blackace

My biggest problem with MBDTF is the mind boggling praise it gets within the hip hop community and outside. Like, people who hate rap are telling me its the best hip hop album ever. GTFO!

Def Jam propaganda machine went to bat for that album

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
oh no a good album is liked by people within and outside of the genre

i cant stand for this!!! it's now a worse album!!!

I like MBDTF. Sounds so big, overproduced and ridiculous. I mean if you listen to LR/CD then this you be thinking Yeezy fell way the fuck off. I like it for what it is.

WTT to me feels like thats the angle he was going for with MBDTF but something got lost in translation.

Blackace

I like MBDTF. Sounds so big, overproduced and ridiculous. I mean if you listen to LR/CD then this you be thinking Yeezy fell way the fuck off. I like it for what it is.

WTT to me feels like thats the angle he was going for with MBDTF but something got lost in translation.

To me it sounded like he was trying to be deep, and edgy when for the most part his life ain't about any of that and WTT was just them styling which is much more in line with his lifestyle

WanderingWind

oh no a good album is liked by people within and outside of the genre

i cant stand for this!!! it's now a worse album!!!

Well, it's a good measure of how much somebody doesn't know about a genre. Your favorite movie can be Dude, Where's My Car? but that pretty much waves a big ass flag that screams "I DO NOT KNOW WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT."

Basically, MDFHE@DFX# is the Dude, Where's My Car? of rap.

Nope, MDTODAHYDH is better than a rusty axe to the nuts, without a doubt..

Either way, you're without your balls.

Blackace

Yup

I could talk about the horrible master or the absolutely horrible tracks. But, those are a given. Did I touch a nerve? Also, you missed the fucking point.

The way Rolling Stone gushed over the album was sicken... you could actually hear the bags of money in the review..

To me it sounded like he was trying to be deep, and edgy when for the most part his life ain't about any of that and WTT was just them styling which is much more in line with his lifestyle

I meant more the production then the lyrics. But yeah he was trying too hard, and that was pretty clear in the music. Just felt too forced.

Recon

Banned

Yeah, it was really shallow attempts at being deep and emotional. 808's was that album, and he pulled it off a lot better there. MBDTF was the rap version of 808's but without the heart and worse production.

Yup

I could talk about the horrible master or the absolutely horrible tracks. But, those are a given. Did I touch a nerve? Also, you missed the fucking point.

That was a big problem for me. Between this and that first version of Cruel Summer.

That kinda shit shouldnt be allowed.

But maybe im just a quality whore...

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
You just said your main problem with an album is basically the praise it gets because people like it. Of course there's hyperbole everywhere, and if someone says it's the best hip-hop album ever they're either not hip-hop fans clearly or they're peterb0y, but yeah you do have a history of hating on the shit cause others think it's good so I understand how that kind of stuff would overshadow legitimate complaints like the bad mastering.

Blackace

I meant more the production then the lyrics. But yeah he was trying too hard, and that was pretty clear in the music. Just felt too forced.

production as well.. dark edgy, unconventional beats.. overmixed to the point of ear bleeding pain

WTT was more "We're rich bitch!"

WanderingWind

The way Rolling Stone gushed over the album was sicken... you could actually hear the bags of money in the review..

Rolling Stone has a long, storied tradition of sleeping on rap artists until the rest of the world is proclaiming them a genius, then the next album RS reviews is heralded as the next Black Album. Basically, the dorkiest white dudes (AKA my people) pretending they know anything about hip hop after it's clear they couldn't tell TIP from Q-TIP.

Blackace

Yeah, it was really shallow attempts at being deep and emotional. 808's was that album, and he pulled it off a lot better there. MBDTF was the rap version of 808's but without the heart and worse production.

808 time he was actually going through some shit, moms died, Amber left him for Skeletor and so on..

Recon

Banned
You just said your main problem with an album is basically the praise it gets because people like it. Of course there's hyperbole everywhere, and if someone says it's the best hip-hop album ever they're either not hip-hop fans clearly or they're peterb0y, but yeah you do have a history of hating on the shit cause others think it's good so I understand how that kind of stuff would overshadow legitimate complaints like the bad mastering.

I should of worded it better, the "most" annoying thing would of been a better way to phrase what I was trying to say. The album had plenty of problems without that anyways. Also, give examples. You cant be throwing my name under the bus like that without backing it up. If anything, I like way more shit than most on Gaf Hop. It takes a lot for me to dislike something. Im like peterboy lite in that regard.

Blackace

The Amber split happened close to album release and his mom died afterwards though.

No.. his mom died in 2007.. album released in 2008. Amber and him were on the rocks for sometime leading to the recording..

Recon

Banned
The Amber split happened close to album release and his mom died afterwards though.

His mom died well before the album. His mom died before the Glow In The Dark Tour, he cried during his set when he did Hey Momma. That was May 2008, 808s came out in fall/winter 08. Also, him and Amber didnt start dating til after the recording of 808s. 808's was about that one chick he was engaged to.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I should of worded it better, the "most" annoying thing would of been a better way to phrase what I was trying to say. The album had plenty of problems without that anyways. Also, give examples. You cant be throwing my name under the bus like that without backing it up. If anything, I like way more shit than most on Gaf Hop. It takes a lot for me to dislike something. Im like peterboy lite in that regard.
Recently your like peterb0y lite anyways lol But yeah your insults for MBDTF are usually way more severe when MBDTF cycle is in full swing and there are a lot of people praising it. Usually ranges from "decent" to "horrible."

Mom died in 07. Album was 08.
*fixes face*

PBY

Banned
Randomly threw on the first jet life album- Jesus Christ that album is amazing so underrated. Y'all should relisten

PBY

Banned
Did anyone ever pick up the Mellowhype album? I don't think I saw it discussed at all in here, came out a week ago.
I did. Gave it a listen, thought it was aite, haven't listened again. Raps are decent production sounds sooo cheap

Recon

Banned
Recently your like peterb0y lite anyways lol But yeah your insults for MBDTF are usually way more severe when MBDTF cycle is in full swing and there are a lot of people praising it. Usually ranges from "decent" to "horrible."

*fixes face*

I think it is painfully average with a lot of flaws. Love the first two tracks though. I do step up my hyperbole game when the MBDTF cycle hits, i admit to that.

Esch

Banned
808 time he was actually going through some shit, moms died, Amber left him for Skeletor and so on..

charlie_murphy_laughilbk65.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom