• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTV| 2Chainz on my neck, 1Finger in my anus

Status
Not open for further replies.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I mean, Id consider this hating
I hate him as an artist too, i dont enjoy his music at all. But you cant hate on some shit like this.

Right, I dig. It's all fun and games until somebody else hates in jest. Nobody really hates Drake. I doubt most people even give him that much thought. But still. Good for him graduating at 25, I guess.

...except where I said we all fucked up. You can read whatever you want into it, I guess. People were there when I graduated, and it was back in the 90s. Not really a concern of mine these days, I promise you.

And christ. Hyperbole abounds in this thread until you talk some shit about Drake. This is like, the 3rd time people have gone from joking about shit to "Well, that's just fucked up" when talking shit about Aubrey. I think some of y'all like him more then you let on.

And most people do some stupid shit and ALMOST drop out. But you didn't. See what I mean?

This whole thing is less about Drake and more about the attitude of adults going back and finishing school. To me anyways. Esch couldve posted anyones tweet saying that and i woulda reacted the same way.

I see what your saying, but i disagree. I was lucky enough to have someone to talk some sense into me at that age. Not everyone does, so i can fully understand how easy it is to drop out.

I do think its fucked up to laugh at anyone, or say its embarrassing to go back and finish school. Regardless if its Drake or anyone else.

Esch

Banned
drizzy's probably been salty about this for like 7 years, no doubt fueling the emotional depth of his music

edit: i actually respect people going back and completing/furthering their education, but no celebrity with a net worth of 25mil is getting my pity or approval, especially not Drake, they can fuck off in their mansion

HiResDes

GKMC - Kendrick delivers a cohesive album with a strong concept and storyline that offers depth while never feeling forced or in anyway detrimental to the song making process. He showcases a variety of flows, changes pace at will, and is self-aware enough to preach without abstaining himself of guilt. Sure the topics are quite familiar and a bit predictable at times, but Kendrick's passion is pretty much unparalleled. Some of the song structures are quite inventive, as are the beats, which helps the album from feeling repetitive despite its long length. GKMC is an album with layers that might be readily accessible, especially in this age of instant gratification and impersonal swag-toting self-ignorance. It reaches a level of introspection and emotion that other rappers would never touch. It's a shame how unsafe it has become to be real. GKMC is the album Kendrick wanted to make, not the album his studio told him to make.
10/10

Album Lows - Compton, Money Tree, Swimming Pools (Extended Version)
Album Highs - Everything Else

Esch

Banned
See.

All these dudes out here trying to be contrarian and shit, talmbout how Section80 is better, fuckin Control System and HnC are better, and Des just sits back and knows he's listening to something special. A gamechanger. Thats why GKMC is so appealing. It's personal, yet it reaches out to the audience at the same time. It has balanced proportions of abstraction and accessibility. Thats how you know Des is that dude. And lets be real, nobody, nobody in the game is fucking with Kendrick Lamar on the mic. no random datpiff canibus devotee, no chart topping pop rapper. Kendrick might be the first god emcee from the west, real talk.

although you calling compton and money trees album lows made me deeply sad

T Dollarz

GKMC - Kendrick delivers a cohesive album with a strong concept and storyline that offers depth while never feeling forced or in anyway detrimental to the song making process. He showcases a variety of flows, changes pace at will, and is self-aware enough to preach without abstaining himself guilt. Sure the topics are quite familiar and a bit predictable at times, but Kendrick's passion is pretty much unparalleled. Some of the song structures are quite inventive, as are the beats, which helps the album from feeling repetitive despite its long length. GKMC is an album with layers that might be readily accessible, especially in this age of instant gratification and impersonal swag-toting self-ignorance. It reaches a level of introspection and emotion that other rappers would never touch. It's a shame how unsafe it has become to be real. GKMC is the album Kendrick wanted to make, not the album his studio told him to make.
10/10

Album Lows - Compton, Money Tree, Swimming Pools (Extended Version)
Album Highs - Everything Else

Agree with everything except the album lows. Love those songs. Wasn't feeling Good Kid and Real.

WanderingWind

See.

All these dudes out here trying to be contrarian and shit, talmbout how Section80 is better, fuckin Control System and HnC are better, and Des just sits back and knows he's listening to something special. A gamechanger. Thats why GKMC is so appealing. It's personal, yet it reaches out to the audience at the same time. It has balanced proportions of abstraction and accessibility. Thats how you know Des is that dude. And lets be real, nobody, nobody in the game is fucking with Kendrick Lamar on the mic. no random datpiff canibus devotee, no chart topping pop rapper. Kendrick might be the first god emcee from the west, real talk.

although you calling compton and money trees album lows made me deeply sad

Shit better not suck after all this. Better than Control System? Pretty high bar to set.

HiResDes

Money Trees will grow on me, I just don't like Kendrick on that hook. Compton will not grow on me, Dr. Dre should never touch a mic again.

WanderingWind

This whole thing is less about Drake and more about the attitude of adults going back and finishing school. To me anyways. Esch couldve posted anyones tweet saying that and i woulda reacted the same way.

I see what your saying, but i disagree. I was lucky enough to have someone to talk some sense into me at that age. Not everyone does, so i can fully understand how easy it is to drop out.

I do think its fucked up to laugh at anyone, or say its embarrassing to go back and finish school. Regardless if its Drake or anyone else.

Yeah, and I see where you're coming from, too, but clearly I disagree.

...is HRD fucking with us? 10/10?

HiResDes

Yeah, it's pretty good. I don't know about listening to the whole thing ever again though, shit is tiring listening to similiar beats haha, but yeah favorites are Dead Man, Fuck the World, and Fuck Something.

You nailed it, so spot on. Also the humor in this album seems to be down, Gucci is fairly serious throughout

Esch

Banned
Money Trees will grow on me, I just don't like Kendrick on that hook. Compton will not grow on me, Dr. Dre should never touch a mic again.

:shrug: I thought the hook and just blaze beat made it an album highlight, especially the little california love homage at the end

perfect album ender to me

HiResDes

:shrug: I thought the hook and just blaze beat made it an album highlight, especially the little california love homage at the end

perfect album ender to me

Not the actual hook, but the "Your Bish" was kind of grating in my headphones, but now that I relisten to it again, it's not bothering me as much.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
Ok i will say iy this shit raises the bar. A lot of dope as hell albums have come out in the last few years. I mean shit that you could bump and call classical cause you know it will age well. Kendrick made an album that is better than all those albums.

Esch

Banned
I bet Des was worrying that it was gonna be some bastardized pop shit for sure then lost it hahahaha

I didnt hate Dre's verse either. I didnt love it. I nothing it.

HiResDes

Maybe I'm wrong, but I just get that one type of feeling listening to it, like it will stand the test of time. Death is Silent kind of gave me that feeling, as did Marcberg, but this is slightly more intense.

Esch

Banned
the tone in totally switched from "it's good" to "classic".

im not willing to say that yet, but I think I will continue to enjoy many of these tracks for years to come. And I think Kendrick will see a lot of success. The man managed to have a Drake track i liked, that says something.

AOTY? Maybe. I still have crazy love for Russian Roulette.

Recon

Banned
I cant believe Black Boy Fly did not make the album proper. Its right up there with Sing For Me/ Bitch, Dont Kill My Vibe.

T Dollarz

Maybe I'm wrong, but I just get that one type of feeling listening to it, like it will stand the test of time. Death is Silent kind of gave me that feeling, as did Marcberg, but this is slightly more intense.

Death Is Silent and Marcberg, while incredibly dope, lacked enough impact to be considered classics, regardless of their quality. That's why this album feels different.

Recon

Banned
The only track I think is weak is the Mary track. I legitimately think its garbage. Also, im starting to hate seeing her name attached to tracks.

Also, Im glad Gaga didnt make the album for whatever reason.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
The only track I think is weak is the Mary track. I legitimately think its garbage. Also, im starting to hate seeing her name attached to tracks.

Also, Im glad Gaga didnt make the album for whatever reason.

I thought her track with Nas was awesome tho..

Blackace

I just didnt feel it.

Now or Never on the deluxe edition. Yeah, i hated that nas track. It was a 90s throwback in the worst ways.

Both are 90s artist. Nas is really good in that element and Mary can only thrive in that element.

Nas/Rick Ross needs to happen, because Nas on MMG beats is too good.

Recon

Banned
Both are 90s artist. Nas is really good in that element and Mary can only thrive in that element.

Nas/Rick Ross needs to happen, because Nas on MMG beats is too good.

No I get that, it just sounded painfully 90s. And I just didnt like the track that much. I agree about Nas and Ross. I dont like Ross, but they go very well together.

Blackace

No I get that, it just sounded painfully 90s. And I just didnt like the track that much. I agree about Nas and Ross. I dont like Ross, but they go very well together.

I thought Ross killed the track on the Nas album. I mean really murked it.

I don't say that about Ross often because while he has gotten better at rapping since his early days he really isn't a great MC..

He also sounded great on that Juv/Mannie Fresh song Power

Recon

Banned
I thought Ross killed the track on the Nas album. I mean really murked it.

I don't say that about Ross often because while he has gotten better at rapping since his early days he really isn't a great MC..

He also sounded great on that Juv/Mannie Fresh song Power

Yeah, I thought Ross had the best verse on Life Is Good. Thats not a slight against Nas, but his verse was just crazy. That might be my favorite track on the album.

Glad to see the love for GKMC. Great album. It's easy to vibe & ride to, but the passion is there for a dedicated listen. Best of both worlds.

ALSO: I wonder which major artist is going to sample Beach House next. The Weeknd... Kendrick... Who's up next?

GKMC - Kendrick delivers a cohesive album with a strong concept and storyline that offers depth while never feeling forced or in anyway detrimental to the song making process. He showcases a variety of flows, changes pace at will, and is self-aware enough to preach without abstaining himself of guilt. Sure the topics are quite familiar and a bit predictable at times, but Kendrick's passion is pretty much unparalleled. Some of the song structures are quite inventive, as are the beats, which helps the album from feeling repetitive despite its long length. GKMC is an album with layers that might be readily accessible, especially in this age of instant gratification and impersonal swag-toting self-ignorance. It reaches a level of introspection and emotion that other rappers would never touch. It's a shame how unsafe it has become to be real. GKMC is the album Kendrick wanted to make, not the album his studio told him to make.
10/10

I agree although I'd say 8/10 sounds more fair.

songs I'm not feeling
-Backstreet Freestyle
-Real

I really don't like Kendrick on Money Trees outside of the chorus, but Jay Rock saves the song

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom