• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTV| 2Chainz on my neck, 1Finger in my anus

Status
Not open for further replies.

iavi

GKMC liste through finished. That was music.

Real and Sing for me/dying of thirst are both easy Soty contenders. easy. I got taken into such the trance listening to those two tracks in particular. I don't even know.

Hate to bring up older artist but look at Outkast for example

Their albums flowed so well you weren't even aware you were on a new track until a little into the new track

Not saying it was laidout poorly but it wasn't that smooth of an album

ATLiens is the prime example/gold standard for album flow, southerplayaistic is good as well, I hate Aquemini so its all one big skip to me, then that cohesive feel started to disappear.

ATLiens is in my top 10 easily, Aquemini is in my top 5 most over rated. I thought it was just nostalgic hate, but I played it in my car for a month this summer, and I just don't think it's a good album

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
ATLiens is the prime example/gold standard for album flow, southerplayaistic is good as well, I hate Aquemini so its all one big skip to me, then that cohesive feel started to disappear.

ATLiens is in my top 10 easily, Aquemini is in my top 5 most over rated. I thought it was just nostalgic hate, but I played it in my car for a month this summer, and I just don't think it's a good album

Trainingday1.jpg

everything is this post is awesome

my thoughts to a Tee

GKMC made me...

1. Finally check out HnC. Like it a lot, Q is a better rapper but I don't know if I'd rank it higher than GKMC.

2. Revisit Madvillainy. It's kinda sad that there aren't many rappers nowadays who can ride a beat like DOOM doesdid.

Az

I was just listening to Ain't No Thang, god did I love Southernplayalisticadillacmuzik

Alright, after spending more time with GKMC:

- The Recipe and Black Boy Fly not being on the normal album was a mistake. Cartoons & Cereal being omitted altogether was as well.
- Still not feeling Backseat Freestyle. Q would've torn that up, but meh. Might grow on me, might not. Edit: I think my main issue is Kendrick changing his voice @ 2:16.
- Anna Wise was used better on the Cunninlynguists projects. Not high on Real for now.
- Good Kid --> M.A.A.D. City --> Swimming Pools (Extended) sequence is great. M.A.A.D. City, in particular, melts my face off.
- Mary J on any album these days makes for an instant skip. Bonus, sure, but still.

I DO think this is a better major debut than KRIT, Yelawolf, J. Cole, etc. etc, but I'm still not sure where it ends up at the end of the year. I appreciate the variety in song structure, and the strong sequencing, but I still feel like I enjoyed Section 80 more, at least initially.

Esch

Banned
definitely maybe probably purportedly not that either. Kendrick addresses a wider variety of topics and doesnt work in tropes like Schoolboy does with swag rap. sure, the latter's style is oddball- but that doesnt make him interesting, just quirky. when it comes to substance and showing off different perspectives on the mic, still K. dot.

Alright, after spending more time with GKMC:

- The Recipe and Black Boy Fly not being on the normal album was a mistake. Cartoons & Cereal being omitted altogether was as well.
- Still not feeling Backseat Freestyle. Q would've torn that up, but meh. Might grow on me, might not. Edit: I think my main issue is Kendrick changing his voice @ 2:16.
- Anna Wise was used better on the Cunninlynguists projects. Not high on Real for now.
- Good Kid --> M.A.A.D. City --> Swimming Pools (Extended) sequence is great. M.A.A.D. City, in particular, melts my face off.
- Mary J on any album these days makes for an instant skip. Bonus, sure, but still.

I DO think this is a better major debut than KRIT, Yelawolf, J. Cole, etc. etc, but I'm still not sure where it ends up at the end of the year. I appreciate the variety in song structure, and the strong sequencing, but I still feel like I enjoyed Section 80 more, at least initially.
I understand the flak for the Mary J and Anna Wise features, but Now or Never doesn't bother me for what it is, and I actually think Real is good. I thought Wise was also marginally better on for instance Oneirology but Kendrick himself on that song is great. Especially around the 4 minute mark.

Macca

Listened to that Cabin Fever 2, it was ok. Most of the tracks without Juicy were a bit lacking though. Actually excited to hear ONIFC when it comes out.

Next up, Xzibit.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Yeah, nothing is fucking with GKMC this year. Fantastic album. Loved Backseat Freestyle, the extended after the song tracks and Good Kid is my shit. Money Trees could've been cut for C&C and I'm glad the MJ track is a bonus, because it's pretty bad. But, a hell of an album. Probably AOTY.

GKMC - Kendrick delivers a cohesive album with a strong concept and storyline that offers depth while never feeling forced or in anyway detrimental to the song making process. He showcases a variety of flows, changes pace at will, and is self-aware enough to preach without abstaining himself of guilt. Sure the topics are quite familiar and a bit predictable at times, but Kendrick's passion is pretty much unparalleled. Some of the song structures are quite inventive, as are the beats, which helps the album from feeling repetitive despite its long length. GKMC is an album with layers that might be readily accessible, especially in this age of instant gratification and impersonal swag-toting self-ignorance. It reaches a level of introspection and emotion that other rappers would never touch. It's a shame how unsafe it has become to be real. GKMC is the album Kendrick wanted to make, not the album his studio told him to make.
10/10

Album Lows - Compton, Money Tree, Swimming Pools (Extended Version)
Album Highs - Everything Else
10/10 BNM
You heard it here fist folks

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
why the hell would Drake even waste his time getting a diploma? id be too busy fucking hot sluts in my mansion
Safe to say he's doing both. Maybe he just went back to up his multitasking skills.

listening to Maybach Curtains, so smooth

I don't get why you guys dont like Meek
Cause it sounds like every other overproduced Maybach-etc. song in the past god knows how many years. It's a good song, but goddamn tiring because you've felt like you've heard it before.

Q is not a better rapper, on any level
More charisma and better flow. That much is inarguable.

good kid is the best track, closely followed by Black Boy Fly and Bitch, Don't Kill My Vibe.

Sing About Me makes me want to check if I've left the oven on.

Esch

Banned
More charisma and better flow. That much is inarguable.

Really? Cause the last time I saw Schoolboy step up for a public event he looked like a flabby and sick dead fish on the mic.

Let me refresh your memory.

Obviously these things are subjective, but from what ive seen on live shows Kendrick gets the crowd going way better, and people check for him as an emcee more (freestyles, features, etc). Kendrick has way more looks as far as flow goes and when he gets his machine gun going on Rigamortis type tracks he pretty much puts every rapper in the game in their place. Whether he's perfectly on beat or not just doesnt matter that much to me, because he pretty much just overpowers whatever track he's on anyway. Thats why he can rock songs with a lot of layers to them instrumentally.

Recon

Banned
^^(Esch)That's why I think Backseat Freestyle is amazing. It's Kendrick going nuts, giving zero fucks.

Also, I think GKMC is the perfect evolution from Section80. It's more polished in all the right ways and I honestly don't miss Q or Soul at all, which I was afraid would happen.

Esch

Banned
^^(Esch)That's why I think Backseat Freestyle is amazing. It's Kendrick going nuts, giving zero fucks.

It's growing on me. I think its supposed to be this albums rigamortis. i think the beat is kinda still a little wacky though, i hate that metallic sound

overcast

I have jury duty for the first time today. They got me in less than 2 years of being an "adult", damn.

Listening to Ab-Soul in line at least.

I need to stop reading youtube comments:

come on people why is everybody dickriding his dude? his lyrics are basic and hes practically rapping about nothing he has no substance. he just sounds good because he has a fast flow. you want a real rapper listen to lupe fiasco immortal techniquewiz khalifa j cole asap rocky odd future currensy k rino meek mill wale rick ross drake game etc. this dude literally makes no sense.

also rigamortis is 100x better than backstreet freestyle, which is hot garbage, from beat to kendrick shouting like an idiot.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Really? Cause the last time I saw Schoolboy step up for a public event he looked like a flabby and sick dead fish on the mic.

Let me refresh your memory.

Obviously these things are subjective, but from what ive seen on live shows Kendrick gets the crowd going way better, and people check for him as an emcee more (freestyles, features, etc). Kendrick has way more looks as far as flow goes and when he gets his machine gun going on Rigamortis type tracks he pretty much puts every rapper in the game in their place. Whether he's perfectly on beat or not just doesnt matter that much to me, because he pretty much just overpowers whatever track he's on anyway. Thats why he can rock songs with a lot of layers to them instrumentally.
Yeah, you need to see more videos of ScHoolboy Q shows. When he performs Nightmare on Figg St. the place shuts DOWN. Energy, character and charisma go much more in hand than lyrical ability and charisma.

overcast

Comparing black hippy members is unnecessary because they all do their thing in my opinion. Not sure who my favorite is, but we will see when I listen to GKMC.

I am impressed how those who have listened to it all have their own favorites.

After sleeping on it and listening to it again this morning. GKMC is great.

The songs I don't really feel, which was just about "Real" I think, everything else grew on me. It's such a cohesive package, more so than Section 80.

While Q and Soul had an album with some great song, they had a few I plain didn't like and skip when they're on. I can't really see myself skipping anything on GKMC, it all flows so well into eachother and makes the songs I didn't like, repeatable. The Recipe not being on the album is understandable (dat bass doe), Black Boy Fly and C&C fit the theme and atmosphere so well. They must have been cut due to run time or not fitting perfectly with the 'storyline'.

Basically while I was expecting Kendrick to make an album that had great songs on it, K Dot did something more impressive and made a great album.

mooooose

I like ASAP a lot more than Kendrick but his album is going to be scary bad in comparison. Also ASAP would've destroyed Backseat Freestyle's beat. Kendrick did... but not really. ASAP would've done it better.

cousins

Aquemini had some good songs (Return of the G, Da art of storytelling 1 & 2), but it was also when Andre started reaching on some stupid shit. And, that chorus on the title track just sounds, well, it just sounds how it sounds. I usually fast-forward through his verses on the album and just listen to Big Boi.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom