• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTV| 2Chainz on my neck, 1Finger in my anus

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was a comp album to showcase all the talent Aftermath had. I guess the fact that both singles from that album didn't feature any Aftermath artist said a lot. :\

Aftermath had so many people on that label in the 00s and nobody but Eminem came out.

They had Eve, Busta Rhymes, Ortiz, and Raekwon.

edit: I forgot Busta's album did come out. Damn I use to like that album too :(

They had Rakim too... Amazing roster, shocking output.

So this isn't exactly a hip-hop related question, but I figure I'd turn to you guys for some guidance...

I recently listened to Bobby Womack's soundtrack to Across 110th Street, and specifically I'm in love with the title track. Can you fine gentlemen turn me onto some other stuff in a similar vein? Much thanks.

Yeah, been wondering that as well. Really liked the tracks that he's put up on YouTube.

Not a fan of their videos, but their tracks are tight. This track sounds like MF DOOM should be on it.

So this isn't exactly a hip-hop related question, but I figure I'd turn to you guys for some guidance...

I recently listened to Bobby Womack's soundtrack to Across 110th Street, and specifically I'm in love with the title track. Can you fine gentlemen turn me onto some other stuff in a similar vein? Much thanks.

El Michel's Affair
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvBRGNNZ8kM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9eFGfZxc-s

Ann Pebbles
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwoKq6HPwkE

And just pick up the Dead Presidents movie soundtrack and move on from there. A good way to start. And Youtube dive after that.

Esch

Banned
Yea but how do Charles Hamilton fans feel right now?

i8z3hVGBhDnEp.gif

IrishNinja

womack got based shinobis, so ima have to look into this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9fdJ2KetOA

Hearing that as I fight in a club is just dope.

So I'm doing the last level of Bastion and I notice that Ab-Soul's "Terrorist Threats" sampled this level's music ("Bottom Feeders"). I had thought for a second that I somehow had my music playing in the background accidentally, but nope. Makes me like the track that much more.

learnin some interesting shit right here

That new Q is the truth. Best rapper out ATM.

tokus how you feel bout the enzo test

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air

First let me say you got good taste. Then let me recommend "BADBADNOTGOOD" a hip hop instrumentation band. Also the Roots but thats if you want to Listen to something more traditionally Hip Hop

First let me say you got good taste. Then let me recommend "BADBADNOTGOOD" a hip hop instrumentation band. Also the Roots but thats if you want to Listeb to something more traditionally Hip Hop

It shames me to say that I first heard 110th Street from Jackie Brown. But I guess it's a start. And yeah, the Roots are great, have a few of their albums on CD. I'll give BADBADNOTGOOD a listen soon!

By the way Shinobi, I just stumbled onto Raekwon's and El Michel's 37 Chambers... good lord. I continue to find Wu-Tang side projects...

New doors are opening every day.

T Dollarz

It shames me to say that I first heard 110th Street from Jackie Brown. But I guess it's a start. And yeah, the Roots are great, have a few of their albums on CD. I'll give BADBADNOTGOOD a listen soon!

By the way Shinobi, I just stumbled onto Raekwon's and El Michel's 37 Chambers... good lord. I continue to find Wu-Tang side projects...

New doors are opening every day.

You're not alone. This was like two weeks ago.

O'Jays
www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzTeLePbB08

Willie Hutch
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkASOKfzg9M

Curtis Mayfield
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cmo6MRYf5g

Darondo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZqQT5904_U

I just watched that Charles Hamilton and I don't think I understood a single damn thing. Like none of it makes sense at all to me, even before he goes off in the deep end. I couldn't laugh until the interviewer said "what does that mean in non-supernatural terms?"

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
It was a comp album to showcase all the talent Aftermath had. I guess the fact that both singles from that album didn't feature any Aftermath artist said a lot. :

Aftermath had so many people on that label in the 00s and nobody but Eminem came out.

They had Eve, Busta Rhymes, Ortiz, and Raekwon.

edit: I forgot Busta's album did come out. Damn I use to like that album too :(

Busta and Raekwon's album came out under Aftermath and Busta's was great...

I think Eve was supposed to end up being a flagship artist, don't know why she never came out with an album..

Rakim, and Ortiz were there for ghostwriting... But they weren't down to be Jcoled...

You know, I just don't get Danny Brown. I try to like him because he seems to be so revered by everyone ,but I just don't get it.

Me and a girl were just imitating Danny Brown during his verses on Black Brad Pitt while I was driving. It was a blast.

Can you do that to MF Doom? Can you?!!!!

Just watched that Charles Hamilton vid. I thought y'all were joking with the Sonic references, but holy shit.

Bizzy Bone's interview from a few years back is still the most uncomfortable one I've ever heard a rapper do though

praise gawwwwwd

I zoned out during the Hamilton interview. Just too much nonsense and he sounded like a mental patient off his meds.

e: holy shit at that Bizzy Bone interview haha what the fuck. At times he's speedtalking as if he's rapping.

lol @ defending Aftermath. It's a poorly run label that eats off Em, 50, and Dre. Everything else they've touched has pretty much turned to shit over the last 15 years, outside of Game I guess.

It's a bigger graveyard than Koch

I zoned out during the Hamilton interview. Just too much nonsense and he sounded like a mental patient off his meds.

e: holy shit at that Bizzy Bone interview haha what the fuck. At times he's speedtalking as if he's rapping.

Well Charles Hamilton was in rehab a year ago or so. Also, I had to watch that interview multiple times because I kept zoning out as well, but once I focused on it, I was like this is not making sense at all. How did we go from J. cole to talking about sonic having a child wouldn't be right for the universe

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
lol @ defending Aftermath. It's a poorly run label that eats off Em, 50, and Dre. Everything else they've touched has pretty much turned to shit over the last 15 years, outside of Game I guess.

It's a bigger graveyard than Koch

lol @ Aftermath making Dre one of the richest men in the industry.. So poorly ran..

Every label messes up, few have success like Aftermath and that pretty much is a historical fact...

DominoKid

oooh this new DJ Khaled album goes hard.
people always hate on Khaled, but i like him.
he's like that popular guy who you cant figure out why he's popular. but if you want to have a big crowd show up to something, he's the guy you go to.

I Wish You Would sounds so crispy in proper quality.
shit...i even like Take It To The Head in context of the album.

dig the beat on the Cole/KRIT/Kendrick track. it could use something in the back to give it some weight...but its pretty good. idk what yall were talking about.

Fjordson

Not a fan of their videos, but their tracks are tight. This track sounds like MF DOOM should be on it.
Agreed. Love the production (I'm guessing it's Flying Lotus).

Song is actually by William DeVaughn.

Pusherman - Curtis Mayfield

The entire Superfly album is worth checking out. Classic.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
This is the way things work at aftermath.
1. Dre signs artist.
2. Artist either A. immediately expects a Dre produced album with 50 and Em features and gets pissy when he doesn't get it despite not doing a fucking thing to prove himself and just sits around with his thumb in his ass waiting for Dre to give him the golden ticket. Or B. Doesn't read the contract close enough that says "you will be my ghostwriting bitch for the next 5 years" and when he finally realizes it makes a break for it. Or C. Doesn't bother to take advantage of the small window of hype he has after a signing to get himself over by releasing free music, doing press, and touring.
3. Artists leaves aftermath

50 succeeded because he had a ton of music out there giving him exposure. While a lot of these other rappers on aftermath just sat there waiting for the Dre tracks to come in. Rakim didn't succeed because he (perhaps rightfully perhaps not) believed that being Rakim, he should be given number one priority in all things music and catered to like the star of Aftermath.

Dre definitely could be better about the way he utilizes his artists, but by now people have to know, if you get signed to Aftermath, you better do your own work in keeping your name out there because the minute your buzz dies so does Dre's ability to give two fucks about you.

Really Eminem killed more aftermath careers than Dre. The minute the great white hope appeared, Dre and everyone else running the show lost interest in every single other artist on that label.

Aftermath is still making money thanks to Em and 50.. He made a compilation album. Dont know how it failed? Hitman could have done something if he wasnt an idiot.. But still he got to ghostwrite for 2001...

Nas was never the same after Illmatic...

Whatever happened here?
I still to this day wonder why Hit never put an album out.
I was hyped for that back in the day man!

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Khaled goes in. I still think he's a bum. He's that guy you see coming to work everyday but you have no idea what his job title is and neither does he.

YCAuq.jpg

Also, who is "Kenderick"??

PBY

Banned
oooh this new DJ Khaled album goes hard.
people always hate on Khaled, but i like him.
he's like that popular guy who you cant figure out why he's popular. but if you want to have a big crowd show up to something, he's the guy you go to.

I Wish You Would sounds so crispy in proper quality.
shit...i even like Take It To The Head in context of the album.

dig the beat on the Cole/KRIT/Kendrick track. it could use something in the back to give it some weight...but its pretty good. idk what yall were talking about.
Yeah, album goes hard. He also managed to get a decent verse out of Wayne, goddamn that song bangggggs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom