• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTV| 2Chainz on my neck, 1Finger in my anus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Busta and Raekwon's album came out under Aftermath and Busta's was great...

I think Eve was supposed to end up being a flagship artist, don't know why she never came out with an album..

Rakim, and Ortiz were there for ghostwriting... But they weren't down to be Jcoled...

Im with you ace.

But Raekwons album never came out on Aftermath. He released it independant on Ice Water.

Still had 2 Dre beats, thats about all the work that got done on aftermath. Some artists just dont gel over there.

I remember an interview where Rakim was saying it was the direction that Dre wanted to take his album they didnt agree on so he bailed. Creative differences and that rather than lack of attention.

Didn't even know Khaled was out

Already got the 2 good songs, rest of the album is irrelevant after those. After a first laptop listen i might add. A car listen will probably change everything.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Khaled goes in. I still think he's a bum. He's that guy you see coming to work everyday but you have no idea what his job title is and neither does he.

YCAuq.jpg

Also, who is "Kenderick"??

So, this is my type of hype music. Khaled is the smartest man in hip hop today.

mooooose

Im with you ace.

But Raekwons album never came out on Aftermath. He released it independant on Ice Water.

Still had 2 Dre beats, thats about all the work that got done on aftermath. Some artists just dont gel over there.
RZA originally gave him more beats (see State of Grace for example), while it was an Aftermath project, but when he left Rae changed his mind on it being a "RZA" project. I think that changed the album a lot. I think the direction was better before Rae changed his mind (State of Grace, New Wu, Black Mozart, We Will Rob You [which RZA coproduced] were all highlights IMO).

If Rae kept it as a RZA/J Dilla project, I think it would've went better. He went hardest on those beats and he had enough to make the full album. Instead he has a good album with WAY too much filler and meh beats.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Dont like it at all. Slaughterhouse fulfills a specific rap style for me. I don't need anything else from them but 4 dudes trying to one up each other lyrically over a beat. I don't give a fuck about any of these motherfuckers hopes, dreams, or feelings. Just rap a cheesy metaphor and fill that niche for me.

Esch

Banned
Generally, Wu's biggest weakness has always been quality control/filler. Even on a few of their albums I adore/think are classics there are a few songs I think they could have just cut or put to b-sides or some shit. I've never quite understood it, but I do get the feeling like a lot of Wu members are the type of dudes who don't look to outside opinion (ala Kanye) on projects. Or maybe the guys they do share their stuff with in the studio are mostly dickriders. I dunno, but both OB4CLII and Fishscale could have definitely benefited from some tracks being removed. I mean i enjoyed CL2, but 30 tracks with bonuses included, 22 tracks on the album proper? Even emcees in their prime cant make a continuously compelling 22 tracks worth of hip hop to sit down and listen to in a row.

siddx

Hip Hop is so good. So good.
Kiss the ring would be better with some of the features cut and without Khaled babbling. Still enjoyable despite.

Grzi

Truth or Truth. Amazing, quite easily the best song Slaughterhouse has ever recorded. Click art to listen.

You do realize this beat was already used on a much better song?
14 minutes lol, no way I'm listening to these dudes babble about stuff for that long.

mooooose

Generally, Wu's biggest weakness has always been quality control/filler. Even on a few of their albums I adore/think are classics there are a few songs I think they could have just cut or put to b-sides or some shit. I've never quite understood it, but I do get the feeling like a lot of Wu members are the type of dudes who don't look to outside opinion (ala Kanye) on projects. Or maybe the guys they do share their stuff with in the studio are mostly dickriders. I dunno, but both OB4CLII and Fishscale could have definitely benefited from some tracks being removed. I mean i enjoyed CL2, but 30 tracks with bonuses included, 22 tracks on the album proper? Even emcees in their prime cant make a continuously compelling 22 tracks worth of hip hop to sit down and listen to in a row.
Fishscale was better. It wasn't the tracks that needed cutting it was all the features from Ghost's weed carriers.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
You do realize this beat was already used on a much better song?
14 minutes lol, no way I'm listening to these dudes babble about stuff for that long.

Knew I heard the beat before....but where?

...and yeah. They all just take some time to start talking over the track like we give a fuck. Put it in your song or shut the fuck up.

Esch

Banned
Fishscale was better. It wasn't the tracks that needed cutting it was all the features from Ghost's weed carriers.

I'll agree that Theodore unit is wack as fuck, but Be Easy and Dogs of War were fine and i'd rather they not be cut. Wu really does need to update their shit tho, no more fucking skits, nobodys looking for that in 2012. Legendary Weapons had some promising aspects to it, like features from people outside the Wu, and some good tracks on it, but once again, too much fat, a lack of direction, and completely unbalanced member contributions.

siddx

Clearly the only member of Wu who can still drop a filler free classic is U-god. This is known.

mooooose

I'll agree that Theodore unit is wack as fuck, but Be Easy and Dogs of War were fine and i'd rather they not be cut. Wu really does need to update their shit tho, no more fucking skits, nobodys looking for that in 2012. Legendary Weapons had some promising aspects to it, like features from people outside the Wu, and some good tracks on it, but once again, too much fat, a lack of direction, and completely unbalanced member contributions.
Legendary Weapons and Chamber Music were both filler albums to fulfill RZA's contact lol. But they just happened to be good.

There's an interview out there with Rakim where he said he wanted to make positive music but Dre kept insisting his album be more gangster.

I can just imagine Rakim's face in the studio when Dre's telling him to add more gangster.

Gangster shit was probably hot at the time thanks to 50 and Dre just loves to ride trends.
Remember after the Eve and Gwen Stefani joint he did was big and then he signed Eve, launched Truth Hurts (remember her?) and later on Olivia joined G-Unit?
None of these girls worked out, surprisingly.
'Girls' were probably hot at the time too.

Dre lost his direction a long ass time ago.

There's an interview out there with Rakim where he said he wanted to make positive music but Dre kept insisting his album be more gangster.

I can just imagine Rakim's face in the studio when Dre's telling him to add more gangster.

I was heated when i heard Rakim left. That album coulda been great had Dre let Ra make the music he wanted to make.

Legendary Weapons and Chamber Music were both filler albums to fulfill RZA's contact lol. But they just happened to be good.

Chamber music was a joke. I spent half the time looking at my CD player waiting for a song to start. When they did start? They were dope as hell. Loved the live instrumentation of it. The beats are what i wish RZA was actually making in the studio.

Legendary Weapons had less clutter but some skits remained. Great CD, Diesel Fluid was sick.

CL2 was at its best when Dilla and RZA were involved. Black Mozart was the best track IMO.

Some serious fat on it though your right. State of grace being left off was a disgrace. That track was tight.

Rae was too salty people were crediting CL1s success to RZA. Egos ruin Hip hop.

If only RZA made it a 10 year plan. Coulda got some more classics out of them.

Jay Sosa

He makes crazy bangers and a lot of them have that 80s Mann flava

wow that has to be one of the worst tracks I've heard in the last few years. Who gives people like French Montana a record contract. Or a microphone?

No denying Harry Fraud is the best producer 2012 though.

Could listen to this track 24/7 even if Styles part is an shockingly awful.

WOH

I think about money/yeah lot a money/I'm speakin lot a money/Abu-Dhabi Money
...christ that's bad.

btw this is bronksi beat right?

smalltown boy

yep it is.

I recently listened to Bobby Womack's soundtrack to Across 110th Street, and specifically I'm in love with the title track. Can you fine gentlemen turn me onto some other stuff in a similar vein? Much thanks.

sure:

Willie Hutch - The Mack

choose u
getaway
Edwin Starr - Hell up in Harlem
title track
free (my fav)

Marvin Gaye - Trouble Man

title track

Curtis Mayfield - Superfly

Freddy

and so on and so forth

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
Fun Fact: I've listened to Meth's Tical 0 more than I have OBFCL2 and I actually bought OBFCL2 on cd :(

PBY

Banned
No one's talking about Wayne's verse on Bitches and Bottles... gives me some hope for the Dedication 4. It had the same corny punchlines hes fallen in love with, but damn he brought back his old school raspy voice, and he switched up his flow a few times. Almost sounded like vintage Weezy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom