• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTV| 2Chainz on my neck, 1Finger in my anus

Status
Not open for further replies.

HiResDes

Kendrick is weird. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Even when it works, it's still kinda weird and not all that accessible. I like Kendrick but not a ton, even though I would like to.

Also, I'm really surprised Goldie only has 5m views on youtube. Why is ASAP not blowing up? He has the swag of Dipset in 2003, amazing flow, a distinctive voice, one of the best ears in the game for beats, great look, cosigns from Drake (but not anyone else, really...) and he's signed to a major.

But he can't seem to get out his niche. It's weird.
Rockys best flow is jacked directly from Bone.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
its funny how some guys are criticizing Kendricks flow and then giving props to bone thug when some of Kendricks best stuff sounds like a redux of bone thug flow/style over modern beats.

listen to A.D.H.D and tell me it isn't the closest an artist has got in anyway to spitting that Bone Thug style in the last few years.

Gangnam Style is the best video of the year with Big Beast being my favorite Rap video.

gundam style
Best videos are still Rella and The Full Retard, Lupe isnt eligible for best anything, ever.

lmao, i can't believe i never saw The Full Retard video and that's my favorite song off that album.

its funny how some guys are criticizing Kendricks flow and then giving props to bone thug when some of Kendricks best stuff sounds like a redux of bone thug flow/style over modern beats.

listen to A.D.H.D and tell me it isn't the closest an artist has got in anyway to spitting that Bone Thug style in the last few years.
Hell fucking no, you can't be serious. Mooooooose, just said Rocky too...plus Ethelwulf

mooooose

Just because you do double time delivery and sing song the words doesn't make a Bone thugs flow... Kendrick is a visionary in terms of delivery. He is a master. His lyrics are sometimes just... not always that great, despite being technically good, sometimes he just lacks the SOMETHING to get himself across. And his hooks are really original, for better or worse.

Kendrick is an individual in a time where it is very hard to be one. For better or worse.

ROCKY on the other hand, is a product of his environment. '03 Dipset swag and bravado, SoHo fashion mixer, with Bone Thugs flow. Only reason he can get away with not sounding like a complete rip off is he has a great voice and delivery and he mixes so many different things it just becomes his THING. Break him down and it's so obvious how shallow he is, not just in his lyrics, but as a package. It doesn't mean he doesn't make great music, but it's just the way it is.

CRS

Kendrick's Swimming Pools is his version of Krayzie's Gemini. Look that shit up.

Not saying that's a bad thing. I love both tracks.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
Just because you do double time delivery and sing song the words doesn't make a Bone thugs flow... Kendrick is a visionary in terms of delivery. He is a master. His lyrics are sometimes just... not always that great, despite being technically good, sometimes he just lacks the SOMETHING to get himself across. And his hooks are really original, for better or worse.

Kendrick is an individual in a time where it is very hard to be one. For better or worse.

ROCKY on the other hand, is a product of his environment. '03 Dipset swag and bravado, SoHo fashion mixer, with Bone Thugs flow. Only reason he can get away with not sounding like a complete rip off is he has a great voice and delivery and he mixes so many different things it just becomes his THING. Break him down and it's so obvious how shallow he is, not just in his lyrics, but as a package. It doesn't mean he doesn't make great music, but it's just the way it is.

I said it was the closest I heard in this modern era and yeah double time delivery and sing song the words is pretty much that bone thugs flow to me.

i agree with your break down of Rocky but where do you hear bone thug flow? ya got to name songs man.

CRS

All this discussion about taking Bone's flow is not a bad thing. I fucking love it. I'm pretty sure some nostalgia is involved though.

Ethelwulf rapping over BNK was the best thing I heard this year.

IrishNinja

Unavailable in my region.

Just like Lupe's buzz.

enzo's punch today!

Rescue Me is okay...I guess.

i was all about that show when i was in fire academy, but fell the fuck off as it went on...there was like an entire season where i didn't think anything happened. ive still yet to see the finale, and that's a shame cause i love Leary.
season 2 finale is...geez

*Walks in*

People are loving Slaughterhouse and Lupe

*Walks out*

It's almost like Gaf hop rewinded 3-4 years

right? i'm glad others were weirded out by this too, i kept thinking "they can't all be in on this"

HiResDes

Kendrick's delivery is mediocre. His flow is really what makes him, even though it is what is most divisive. If you really listen to it, it's almost in 1.5 time, not quite double time and definitely quicker than standard pace. On fast paced beats it sounds normal, but on slower ones it definitely sounds a bit off. His best flow is his fast flow, but I do think he needs to develop a more methodical alternative just to enable him to tackle a greater variety of beats. His lyrics, however, have never been part of the problem. Kendrick is a very good lyricist.

CRS

You know all this Lupe talk reminds me of Recon's absence. I think he gave up Gaf-Hop forever. The thread maker gave us up.
Yeah, I don't know what got to the dude. His hate for Pop-GAF isn't the cause, right? Maybe he took his last ban way to personal.

Any GAF-Hoppers get that Counter Strike today? Played the 360 trial and it was great.

Couldnt search for a game in a Play with Friends lobby though.

OG Xbox Counter strike ran better lol

Toku and I connect in a subconscious realm. We may not agree on what album is better than the other in this realm, but in the subconscious realm, we are agreeing most of the time.

SoilBreak

Banned
Toku and I connect in a subconscious realm. We may not agree on what album is better than the other in this realm, but in the subconscious realm, we are agreeing most of the time.

Could you imagine Toku having a kid and what that would do to the overall equilibrium of the universe?

Bishman

Ayo, that Lupe video is dope. That bitch in the video was definitely bad.

ibuvgsmCwJBVGs.gif

Trey

A not bad song and a not bad video has ya'll back in Lupe's corner? Ya'll wanted to like him all along.

Looking forward to the album myself. First video in recent memory that made me like the song more.

Killer Mike's R.A.P music.....damn, I've been sleeping.

You have.

GamerSoul

Lupe's video came out better than I thought.

Lupe has a great track record on his recent singles. His flow sounds so improved from any other albums he has done. Not once do I feel like he is sacrificing the musical aspects in order to preach and bore me like his previous albums. Lupe might have AOTY on lock.

We can only hope. I just need to hear a few more songs with a bit more energy and I'll be happy.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
A not bad song and a not bad video has ya'll back in Lupe's corner? Ya'll wanted to like him all along.
Pretty much. The song is stupid, but he displays some not Lazers level of mediocre lyricism and we back on the nuts.

The whole premise of the song is that the kids were IDIOTS.

PBY

Banned
HRD- just listened to Mike Dreams' Millenial. Don't think I liked it as much as you did, but I thought it was very, very good. Interesting sound, nice and upbeat. Good looks.

overcast

His lyrics, however, have never been part of the problem. Kendrick is a very good lyricist.
Absolutely, and his off-key flow makes it all the more better I think.

This Lupe (sort of hype) has me scared. Should I make the OT for the album? Recon had dibs, but he disappeared. I am kind of a big Lupe stan here.

mooooose

Maybe its because I'm not black or involved with the actual rap culture (other than liking it) but that Bitch Bad video means nothing to me and the song is whatever. Like its a good song with a good message, but it just feels like an after school special. I'm sure some it will enlighten some people who are actually affected by rap culture in a negative way but rap, to me, is bravado fairytales and a lot of raw emotion from artists who, sometimes, aren't articulated.

I think a song like Blessed by Q and Kendrick has more raw emotion and impact than a song like Bitch Bad. Even though I can't relate to either song, the raw emotion of Blessed makes it easier to identify with. I feel bad for Q and his surroundings. I feel like he is blessing me. He reminds me that my life is okay, because I have one. Hell, he reminds me my life is okay because I don't have to sling crack to eat. Bitch Bad reminds me the misogyny of rap culture sucks... and while this is very true, no song is really going to resonate with anyone. It's a dead end art. Art is about evoking emotion. This may resonate with some girl or guy out there but it's almost criticizing their way of thinking, and will just make them feel bad or be in denial.

I don't know. I really didn't like that song.

HiResDes

TDE, especially Kendrick and Schoolboy Q are really quite talented when it come to translating their inner battles and feelings of cognitive dissonance to lyrics that avoid being overly pedantic and contain a bit of self-loathing humor as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom