• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTV| 2Chainz on my neck, 1Finger in my anus

Status
Not open for further replies.

DominoKid

Maybe its because I'm not black or involved with the actual rap culture (other than liking it) but that Bitch Bad video means nothing to me and the song is whatever. Like its a good song with a good message, but it just feels like an after school special. I'm sure some it will enlighten some people who are actually affected by rap culture in a negative way but rap, to me, is bravado fairytales and a lot of raw emotion from artists who, sometimes, aren't articulated.

I think a song like Blessed by Q and Kendrick has more raw emotion and impact than a song like Bitch Bad. Even though I can't relate to either song, the raw emotion of Blessed makes it easier to identify with. I feel bad for Q and his surroundings. I feel like he is blessing me. He reminds me that my life is okay, because I have one. Hell, he reminds me my life is okay because I don't have to sling crack to eat. Bitch Bad reminds me the misogyny of rap culture sucks... and while this is very true, no song is really going to resonate with anyone. It's a dead end art. Art is about evoking emotion. This may resonate with some girl or guy out there but it's almost criticizing their way of thinking, and will just make them feel bad or be in denial.

I don't know. I really didn't like that song.

Well I am black and involved in the culture and its still corny as fuck.
I do like Lamborghini Angels though.

Bitch Bad is what I feel is the opposite that I said about Lupe earlier. To me, anytime I listen to lupe, I feel like he puts his message and getting his point across above all else. Most artist these days are trying to put their message out there, but at the same time they are doing it in ways so a mainstream listener can vibe to it and it's actually a legit good song. Ab-Soul and Killer Mike are the first ones that come to mind.

If you look at these artist, their flow is just about as good as any other rapper who isn't talking about political things. Well, maybe not Ab-Soul, but you can definitely see that Ab-Soul tries to get his massage across while making the song entertaining for the listening.

That's just how I feel about a lot of Lupe's songs. I don't feel this way about any of Lupe new songs outside of Bitch Bad, but truthfully, if I listen to that Lamborghani Angels and go back to that old stuff. I think he had a really shitty ass flow in the past.

Edit: I feel like moooose basically said what i was trying to say.

Trey

Maybe its because I'm not black or involved with the actual rap culture (other than liking it) but that Bitch Bad video means nothing to me and the song is whatever. Like its a good song with a good message, but it just feels like an after school special. I'm sure some it will enlighten some people who are actually affected by rap culture in a negative way but rap, to me, is bravado fairytales and a lot of raw emotion from artists who, sometimes, aren't articulated.

I think a song like Blessed by Q and Kendrick has more raw emotion and impact than a song like Bitch Bad. Even though I can't relate to either song, the raw emotion of Blessed makes it easier to identify with. I feel bad for Q and his surroundings. I feel like he is blessing me. He reminds me that my life is okay, because I have one. Hell, he reminds me my life is okay because I don't have to sling crack to eat. Bitch Bad reminds me the misogyny of rap culture sucks... and while this is very true, no song is really going to resonate with anyone. It's a dead end art. Art is about evoking emotion. This may resonate with some girl or guy out there but it's almost criticizing their way of thinking, and will just make them feel bad or be in denial.

Why would Bitch Bad draw from raw emotion? That's not really Lupe's thing. He's a detached story teller who concerns his music with making a point.

Esch

Banned
its okay to say Lupe sucks and has always sucked, and that you wouldn't be caught dead listening to that garbage. just roll with it

I made a track the other day with this chick I met (she makes beats). So it's getting good responses and comments on soundcloud and shit, and I'm all happy about working with her some more. Then she posts some birther shit on facebook today talking about how Obama is a fraud and someone needs to check his social security number.

I think I got somehow reverse Lupe'd.

edit: on-topic, Dead Prez's Hip-Hop is still my #1 "song with a message that's still bumps" of all time.

mooooose

TDE, especially Kendrick and Schoolboy Q are really quite talented when it come to translating their inner battles and feelings of cognitive dissonance to lyrics that avoid being overly pedantic and contain a bit of self-loathing humor as well.
Two very very talented dudes for a variety of reasons. I love these guys. Q in particular. His lyricism appears like nothing at first but the words he picks, his ability to make songs, as well as his flow and especially charisma, and ability to humbly tell stories... he's a very special guy. You can tell that even if he makes a song like Hands on the Wheel, he's making it because he really wants to. Every song he makes is because he is hungry and has something to say. That's not something you can say about many rappers. Lupe, for instance, seems like he was stretching to find subject matter. He seems so forced.
Why would Bitch Bad draw from raw emotion? That's not really Lupe's thing. He's a detached story teller who concerns his music with making a point.
Because his stories invoke no emotion because he's completely detached. How can I feel something about something he feels nothing about? And he has to feel something to make the song, but nothing comes across in the song. Just a bunch of words and a lesson that no one will learn from.

I made a track the other day with this chick I met (she makes beats). So it's getting good responses and comments on soundcloud and shit, and I'm all happy about working with her some more. Then she posts some birther shit on facebook today talking about how Obama is a fraud and someone needs to check his social security number.

I think I got somehow reverse Lupe'd.

fucking dying here lmao

DominoKid

its a fair critique...
Lupe's always been more concerned with telling you his message (actually he beats you over the head with it) rather than making you feel his message.
Nas sorta has the same problem

I would have been all over Bad Bitch if I was 16 and on that backpack tip still. Ya boy PD used to act like someone listening to Ja Rule in my presence was equal to aborting a baby and throwing it in my face. Now...meh. Do I like the way "bitch" is thrown around? Hell naw. But I couldn't care less about Lupe preaching to me about it.

That's why guys like 2pac and Nas did that shit better. They were flawed individuals full of contradictions, which makes them interesting. I could tolerate them preaching overall because they could do it in an intelligent way that could bump in my mom's Dodge Caravan, nahmean. Lupe? This ninja couldn't have fun at Disney Land - he'd be walking behind you trying to fuck up your time by reminding you what Walt Disney thought about Jews. Ninja I ain't trying to hear that shit, fuckouttahere

IrishNinja

SC & PD are killing it this page

probably the same effect as Shenmue 2 having a sequel.

GqjPz.gif

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
I know we have a lot brothers in here but you will get banned for n bombs

CRS

It's less Talib's voice and more of his disregard of the instrumental and being off-beat so damn much that bugs me out. Not a lot but enough for me not to enjoy the song as much.

CRS

heh, how do you feel about MF Doom?

See, that's the thing, I fucking love MF DOOM. MF goes off beat on purpose and then goes back on so it works. I feel like Talib just doesn't give a fuck throughout his entire verse. I dunno.

Some Mer Fers don't like how Sally walk
I'll tell y'all fools it's hella cool how ladies from Cali talk
Never let her interfere with the Yeti ghetto slang
Nicknames off nipple and tip of nipples, metal fang
Known amongst hoes for the bang-bang
Known amongst foes for flow without no talking orangutangs
Only gin and Tang
Guzzled out a rusty tin can
Me and this mic is like yin and yang
Clang! Crime don't pay, listen, youth

/Irish

Bishman

I'm black. And this song explains it well. Anyone from the hood could relate.

Trey

Because his stories invoke no emotion because he's completely detached. How can I feel something about something he feels nothing about? And he has to feel something to make the song, but nothing comes across in the song. Just a bunch of words and a lesson that no one will learn from.

its a fair critique...
Lupe's always been more concerned with telling you his message (actually he beats you over the head with it) rather than making you feel his message.
Nas sorta has the same problem

You either get the emotion from the song -- the situation Lupe's illustrating -- or you don't. He doesn't trick or charm you into feeling something you don't or won't care about. It can be endearing when you actually feel that the rapper is opening up from within to provide the inspiration of the song and that you hear as much on the track, but that's not necessarily what an emcee must strive for.

And I would disagree that Lupe himself doesn't feel as much about his message just because he doesn't get into his emotions on the track. The kind of craftsmanship he puts into his lyrics and how they should be digested shows he does respect his message a very great deal.

Granted, if you don't agree with his world view/subject matter, and his flow ain't doing it for you, there ain't much to fall back on. Contrast that to TDE which has some fun ass high energy shit to sub in for any unfavorable semi-conscious joints.

cashman

Banned
I would have been all over Bad Bitch if I was 16 and on that backpack tip still. Ya boy PD used to act like someone listening to Ja Rule in my presence was equal to aborting a baby and throwing it in my face. Now...meh. Do I like the way "bitch" is thrown around? Hell naw. But I couldn't care less about Lupe preaching to me about it.

That's why guys like 2pac and Nas did that shit better. They were flawed individuals full of contradictions, which makes them interesting. I could tolerate them preaching overall because they could do it in an intelligent way that could bump in my mom's Dodge Caravan, nahmean. Lupe? This ninja couldn't have fun at Disney Land - he'd be walking behind you trying to fuck up your time by reminding you what Walt Disney thought about Jews. Ninja I ain't trying to hear that shit, fuckouttahere

I feel like you're right in that Lupe is way too preachy and negative about his messages. If only he could be more positive and make more songs like All Black Everything. That song is a fucking masterpiece, it brought a tear to my eye.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Bitch Bad is a decent song I probably won't come back to often. Lupe drops everything heavy handed, and yeah he is missing that charm or that hook he had on F&L and The Cool more importantly. Beat kind of sucks ass, at points theres a clear disconnect from the instrumental and him and in that time you just contemplate whether he's going to get back to rhyming or he's just gonna stay on this tip for a bit. Maybe this is just cause the content doesn't resonate with me either.

It is more lyrically sound than some of the other garbage he's been putting out recently, so I'm down for that.

PD stay winning. This sums it up pretty well.

EDIT: That video was good, not sure if I'd rank it high all year though.

IrishNinja

It's less Talib's voice and more of his disregard of the instrumental and being off-beat so damn much that bugs me out. Not a lot but enough for me not to enjoy the song as much.

+1, his kinda reckless style only works for me when mighty mos is trading bars & such. past his first LP, it's grating - his choice of content & production doesnt help though (dude should be worshiping hi-tek)

willmakeyouacasualtyofabnormalnormality!

haha...and that's one of his better ones

heh, how do you feel about MF Doom?

aw man, totally different - that feels way more purposeful than talib's almost inability to stay on beat.
...CRS said it better

cashman

Banned
goddammit lupe.

edit: I say all this without listening to bitch bad. It's a really really good message, but not really musically engaging.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom