• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTX| Long Live the Watcher

Status
Not open for further replies.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Oh, WTT2 this soon?
Probably not, but if it's not next on the docket, I'll be surprised. I'd rather it be WTT TBH. Maybe it's just the spacing between MBDTF and Yeezus, but I'd want Ye to get enough time to regroup with a different sound instead of the B sides of Yeezus.

Time to start making bets on if the songs Ye did with Young Thug will make it onto his next album

Esch

Banned
Ebro - 50 Cent is afraid of me and that's why he wont come on hot97

qxFs1.gif

Man I buy maybe 2 or 3 games a year.

Today online I got

Fallout Vegas
Crisis 3
Metal gear rising
Bioshock infinite
Doom 3 big

All for 22 euros. End of generation sales are amazing

When will people stop falling for Ebro's shit? He doesn't the exact same thing every fucking time. He'll shit talk someone and then say they aren't man enough to come on the show...and then they come on the show. I understand why a dusty dude like Buckshot would fall for that - he needs the attention - but why do big names come on? Why did Nicki Minaj need to go on Hot 97 after Rosenberg shat on her? Why do any hot Atlanta artists go on the show, knowing Ebro is going to question their lyrical ability. Note, the same Ebro who greenlit all these lyrically questionable songs because they were "hot," now trying to act like the gatekeeper of Real Hip Hop once Migos comes on the show.

Dude is a cornball

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
When will people stop falling for Ebro's shit? He doesn't the exact same thing every fucking time. He'll shit talk someone and then say they aren't man enough to come on the show...and then they come on the show. I understand why a dusty dude like Buckshot would fall for that - he needs the attention - but why do big names come on? Why did Nicki Minaj need to go on Hot 97 after Rosenberg shat on her? Why do any hot Atlanta artists go on the show, knowing Ebro is going to question their lyrical ability. Note, the same Ebro who greenlit all these lyrically questionable songs because they were "hot," now trying to act like the gatekeeper of Real Hip Hop once Migos comes on the show.

Dude is a cornball
preach, especially @ the bolded

pop shit, get views, sucker artists into coming on for more views, backpedal and laugh it off, repeat

EDIT: Big Boi ft Wings, Kelly Rowland & Little Dragon - Mr. Vandebilt

Man I buy maybe 2 or 3 games a year.

Today online I got

Fallout Vegas
Crisis 3
Metal gear rising
Bioshock infinite
Doom 3 big

All for 22 euros. End of generation sales are amazing

Fallout Vegas
Metal Gear Rising
Bioshock Infinite (opening hour of this game is beautiful)
Doom 3

In order of quality. Haven't played the new crysis

Lmao at wale, can't believe he bit the bait like that. Dudes manager needs to end his twitter account

yoooo I'm seeing danny next weekend and I was not looking forward to it at all tbh cause my ex is gonna be there. but the venue announced that deniro farrar is opening so things balanced out. anybody seen farrar live? How is he?

bowery

I wonder what sound Kanye is going for I mean with Q-Tip and Rick Rubin executive producing...... :phew:

something makes me skeptical tip will have a big hand in it.....i doubt he still has his production ear and touch, i think we're going to see something similar to yeezus in terms of a huge group of producers that comprise the sound that kanye is looking for

really hope he doesn't go tapping the james blake / jamie xx / sampha uk scene like drake already has

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
something makes me skeptical tip will have a big hand in it.....i doubt he still has his production ear and touch, i think we're going to see something similar to yeezus in terms of a huge group of producers that comprise the sound that kanye is looking for

really hope he doesn't go tapping the james blake / jamie xx / sampha uk scene like drake already has
I think Q-Tip will play a role like No I.D. usually does and just be there to be a 2nd ear or contribute sparsely and selectively. Then, the next time we will hear from him will be in over a year when he's forgotten what he's done on the project and hasn't heard the final project either.

Tip is busy doing his own thing, understandably.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
50 on The Breakfast Club. Part 2.

Damn yo.. 50 proving again he is one of the smartest in the game. This dude does some serious exposing and knowledge dropping, a must watch as it's one of the best Breakfast Club interviews IMO.

- Diddy being scummy and using Biggie's image to promote himself and his music in the new era
- Being on the same flight as Ja Rule
- Shot 13 music videos for Animal Ambition and why
- Breakdown of his relationships with Yayo/Banks ("if you don't sustain your value in the marketplace, I put you at the market rate")
- How Lloyd Banks fucked up his own career and keeps fucking it up
- Changes in Interscope and G-Unit business that led to the current state
- Kendrick & Q's success, why they worked and why G-Unit or "these new guys" flop
- How Sha Money nearly left $1.3 million on the table, or pretty much how uneducated people are in the game
- On why Jay grooms artists right and why G-Unit artists don't know how to grind: "Whey Jay-Z signs someone, you never see them with him, until they get hot enough to function without Jay-Z"
- Why hip-hop consumers in 2014 are like fiends when he used to sell dope, how he adjusted his release strategy to fit that "they will cop from anyone who has something good, and it doesn't have to be regular"
- Jay taking the Ye/50 competition personally, a larger industry competition between Interscope and Def Jam
- Takes some slick shots (but not really?) at Bey doing more for Jay than vice versa
- Explains why Jay, Fabolous and Jadakiss are important to the culture and essentially the same person
- Goes into detail about his relationship with Jimmy Iovine
- On starting his own headphone thing in the face of Iovine's Beats: "Russel Simmons didn't tell us not to sell urban clothing"
- Iovine's strategy with Beats, related: Pop That being Puff's first #1 single in 10 years and why French flopped hard (partially because of Puff)
- "Chief Keef is what my son would have been, if he didn't make it"
- Charlamagne: "Do you think street credibility still matters in hip-hop?" 50: "I don't even think it exists"
- Buying demographic doesn't know the importance of being street, "there is no urban culture, it is all high fashion"
- "Young Thug is actually the one who called it a dress; the others call it a kilt"
- Defends himself against allegations that he killed NY hip-hop
- NY no longer having a "big homie," talks about how Diddy did Angels but was living in Miami: "I was like nah man, you gotta stand next to something. Because you've been standing next to something your entire career"
- "Puffy might as well be the destination for somebody going nowhere"
- Talks about everything being about momentum "Me and Jay don't make decisions that don't make sense. That's why you see Forbes 1-2-3 Remix"
- Thinks Jay took a shot at Drake just to stifle his momentum
- Hip-hop isn't homophobic, it just has no place for people that are sensitive (I kind of get what he's saying though inevitably it will be taken out of context)
- "Everything Dre produces, is for Detox"
- Says Dre figured at some point that if it wasn't going to mean everything to hip-hop that it was, it would hurt the brand more than it would help (Beats, not music).. "That's when I started thinking Interscope started turning into Beats Records"
- Charlamagne: "What do you say to people who say you fell off?" 50: "My accountant has no idea what you're talking about. I took the Jay as Def Jam President move."
- On blogs: "I'm not trying to gain an audience, I'm trying to sustain one, until they start to persuade each other"

50 still the realest in the game, and he can articulate himself better than even Jay. You can construe a lot of this as shots at Jay and Puff, but he's talking that real. If that's too big of a block of text, you gotta listen to the interview, dude has quotable lines like every minute. Kept it 4hunna.

In depth 50 Cent interviews have always been entertaining. Somewhere around 5 or 6 years ago he really stepped it up and started just laying everything out there when talking to people.

Esch

Banned
Holy shit that's something else.

Who here is ready to take one for the team and get dropped by Hopsin?

dat new DZA
Nope, Wale lost. I watched the video. Dude pushed him. He lost for even responding actually.

Also, 50 stay half complimenting and half insulting Jay. I guess jealousy is a bitch.

effzee

50 on The Breakfast Club. Part 2.

Damn yo.. 50 proving again he is one of the smartest in the game. This dude does some serious exposing and knowledge dropping, a must watch as it's one of the best Breakfast Club interviews IMO.

Yet again while he knows the business side, is rich forever, and sees what's going on with everyone else HE FAILS to realize he himself isn't making good music.

He was a mainstream artist. And he no longer is. He went from being the biggest rapper in the game with the most hotly anticipated albums to someone who has to release his next project on indie because the majors don't care to promote his shit anymore.

Sure he is rich but he fell the fuck off in terms of making music people buy in millions. Funny how he can talk about so and so not making hits or failing but gets all pissy when someone (Stout) talks about how he himself hasn't had a hit since 2007. He always falls back on his money but its obvious he wants to be the big name in rap but he just can't seem to find a sound or song to make it work.

Everything is always, or was, Interscope's fault.

He kept mentioning two successful albums of his while ignoring what happened afterwards. His obsession with sales and who is flopping really convinces me he won't release his album in June as planned. Kendrick or Kanye could be bubbling by then with new singles, but more importantly 50 doesn't have a song out that will matter. I haven't heard the Trey Songz record yet but I doubt it's a hit. All his shit sounds like it would have been big in 2004.

Also his comment about putting out multiple songs instead of waiting for something to get hot doesn't work today. If you don't have a fan base you need a big record. Schoolboy Q had the fan base, sold 100k+ in the first week, and now Man Of The Year is charting because Interscope pushed a button; they had to be convinced. 50 doesn't have a powerful label to push that button for him now, he has to convince the audience they like his shit. I don't see it with any of the records he released.

Also smh @ the breakfast club for not challenging him. The obvious retort to 50 is that you haven't had a hit since 2007, and none of the songs you've released have impacted the Billboard 100. You're gonna flop bro.

Esch

Banned
Yet again while he knows the business side, is rich forever, and sees what's going on with everyone else HE FAILS to realize he himself isn't making good music.

Nah dude, 50 knows his shit is off. Why do you think he, like Dr. Dre, has been playing a game of putting out a song to test the waters and then not capitalizing all these years? Because they see online reactions +chart/iTunes #s and they get shook, basically. They know they're not making good music, I just think that fif in particular has gotten so tired of the cat and mouse game with the audience that he's just willing to put out something mediocre because he misses the limelight. Jay knows too, but Jay has the art of keeping his sound updated and building buzz around his projects and the connections to make it happen. He taught this to Kanye. 50 will always have trouble getting hot artists on his project because his approach to the game will always be 'fuck yall i'm the best and I don't need none of yall', but you can see how this is biting him in the ass now that he's older and needs a 'stimulus package'. But he's too prideful to go hat in hand to Jay, Ye, Drake, or even Eminem to get a boost.

Nah dude, 50 knows his shit is off. Why do you think he, like Dr. Dre, has been playing a game of putting out a song to test the waters and then not capitalizing all these years? Because they see online reactions +chart/iTunes #s and they get shook, basically. They know they're not making good music, I just think that fif in particular has gotten so tired of the cat and mouse game with the audience that he's just willing to put out something mediocre because he misses the limelight. Jay knows too, but Jay has the art of keeping his sound updated and building buzz around his projects and the connections to make it happen. He taught this to Kanye. 50 will always have trouble getting hot artists on his project because his approach to the game will always be 'fuck yall i'm the best and I don't need none of yall', but you can see how this is biting him in the ass now that he's older and needs a 'stimulus package'. But he's too prideful to go hat in hand to Jay, Ye, Drake, or even Eminem to get a boost.

50 argued samples are better than just having a hot product, hence why he releases so many songs. It's bullshit. I can understand releasing multiple street tracks but he's on his second ladies track now. That's Rick Ross GFID territory of "I'm about to flop." But unlike Ross, 50 won't fall back and release a hot mixtape.

Jay didn't teach Kanye anything breh. Kanye has been switching his style since his second album. Jay doesn't move until the board is set, then he reacts based on what is popular; we saw this begin to hit parody levels with BP3. Kanye changes the board and forces everyone else to change (see: Graduation). Jay's recent career can be summed up by Death To Autotune. He was going to have Autotune records on BP3 but couldn't get it to work, so he "dissed" it for attention. Now Autotune is hot again btw. Point being since then he hasn't made the same mistake. If he can't make something work he doesn't do it. He attaches himself to what's hot and cooks. MCHG sucked ass but he still convinced people his southern flow was hot, despite it sounding bad. He's a master at that shit.

Esch

Banned
Jay didn't teach Kanye anything breh. Kanye has been switching his style since his second album. Jay doesn't move until the board is set, then he reacts based on what is popular; we saw this begin to hit parody levels with BP3. Kanye changes the board and forces everyone else to change (see: Graduation). Jay's recent career can be summed up by Death To Autotune. He was going to have Autotune records on BP3 but couldn't get it to work, so he "dissed" it for attention. Now Autotune is hot again btw. Point being since then he hasn't made the same mistake. If he can't make something work he doesn't do it. He attaches himself to what's hot and cooks. MCHG sucked ass but he still convinced people his southern flow was hot, despite it sounding bad. He's a master at that shit.

I guess Kanye making songs with Chief Keef, Skrillex, Tyler the Creator, Zomby, Young Chop, Young Thug, Kendrick Lamar, and whoever else's cock Noisey/P4K sucks for a year is all originality and him 'forcing the game to change'. He'll probably make a song with Lil Herb on this new album too.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Even Kanye says Jay taught him everything he knows. Repeatedly.

You're right about 50's attitude biting him in the ass. He doesn't need the money, but cutting off and pissing on everybody who worked with you works doesn't work. I mean, what hot artist is going to want to work with Fif after A) they see his shit isn't making anybody nod their head and B) how he's burned literally his entire crew (even the ones supposedly family). You got to be fucking stupid or desperate to work with 50.

And anybody think that's just being real is fucked up. Keeping your crew tight around you is keeping it real. Cutting everybody when they're no longer an asset is bitchmade.

I guess Kanye making songs with Chief Keef, Skrillex, Tyler the Creator, Zomby, Young Chop, Young Thug, Kendrick Lamar, and whoever else's cock Noisey/P4K sucks for a year is all originality and him 'forcing the game to change'. He'll probably make a song with Lil Herb on this new album too.

Or flavor of the month pop acts like Maroon 5, Fergie, Paul Wall....

Shit is Jay's Intro to Staying Fresh 101.

Detox

Major props to jay for using connections to stay relevant and successfully positioning himself as bigger than them.

Going to have to disagree with the Dre part he isn't chasing the numbers, I need a doctor was his second highest charting song on billboard and went platinum in no time. Detox and it's singles will sell between Eminem and Dre it will easily be one of the highest selling albums in the modern era of hiphop. The detox machine was gearing up and then Snoop came out and said he and people in the camp weren't feeling the direction Dre chose, neither was the enthusiast media. Dre is chasing the critical success and wants it to sit alongside the Chronic albums. The problem is he got the beats thing going on, gangster music just isn't popping like that and the vault gets bigger everyday with the kind of work ethic he got. At this point everything for that album needs to start from scratch, the team should be assembled for a few months and release whatever they cook up though it'll never happen.

Esch

Banned
Or flavor of the month pop acts like Maroon 5, Fergie, Paul Wall....

Shit is Jay's Intro to Staying Fresh 101.

It's an interesting double standard, to be honest. Kanye has somehow managed to convince not only the mainstream, but underground and purist consumers that he is some sort of fount of creativity when he has been mining others for creative content for years now. The difference is that Kanye mostly mines the underground/indie and Jay mines the mainstream, and Kanye has managed to position himself image/music wise as some type of rap conductor where he gets a whole bunch of voices and then throws his fingerprints all over them, in Dr. Dre fashion. But the actual essence of what they do isn't that different; taking other peoples work and applying it to their sense of songwriting (and production wrt to Kanye).

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Nope, Wale lost. I watched the video. Dude pushed him. He lost for even responding actually.

Also, 50 stay half complimenting and half insulting Jay. I guess jealousy is a bitch.
I didn't even get to the vid last night but yea Wale lost, doesn't change the fact dude still got popped by Wale tho.

This new DZA is tasty. Coulda been trimmed up, but it's more DZA to enjoy so I'm not too mad about that track list size.

WanderingWind

It's all about who is hot now. These same things were said about Jay and Dre, but they've fallen out of favor. And the industry changes so much. When those guys were coming up, you had to be a certain way to get attention, but they shifted with the times as best as 40+ year old veterans can. Dre moved into headphones, Jay into nightclubs and investments. Before those guys made it big, hip-hop was littered with Hammers - the guys who made it big, bought into stupid shit and lost it all. Or Eminem and 50 Cent types who made a personal fortune but never made the types of moves those guys did to stay relevant nt in all eras of the game. Kanye the mogul and innovator is just the next step in that.

That's not to say Ye didn't make an impact. It's pretty clear his success is what caused the fall of harder-than-thou rap as mainstream darling, he opened up the doors for the variety of rappers getting play. We wouldn't have half the diversity in the game if it was for the polo-shirt to Dark Souls mask Ye.

But some of y'all who honestly think Kanye West invented all of this shit you attribute to him are crazy.

Esch

Banned
I
That's not to say Ye didn't make an impact. It's pretty clear his success is what caused the fall of harder-than-thou rap as mainstream darling, he opened up the doors for the variety of rappers getting play. We wouldn't have half the diversity in the game if it was for the polo-shirt to Dark Souls mask Ye.

But some of y'all who honestly think Kanye West invented all of this shit you attribute to him are crazy.

Honestly, I think we should give femotional ranting broken by Amber Rose Kanye and CEO chancletas with jeans Jay credit as well. I do believe that MBTDF, WTT, BP3, and Yeezus have had impacts. Kanye's new music sets a good example for rappers to take more and more production risks. I also think it's cool that both guys helped put on up and comers like Cole, Drake, and maybe Electronica in their own ways as well as a vast variety of producers. Both artists have showed us that there is a lane for aging artists to take. It's not all bad. Jay still gives us hot singles. Ye is like the Valve of rap artists, he takes source mods and indie kickstarter projects with promise and throws $$$ behind them/gives them a platform to speak on.

Rap is kinda the only genre besides Metal/Punk that shits on older artists for making music.

WanderingWind

I thought metal was all about worshipping the elder gods of rock and shit. Of course, I know don't listen to metal often, but I watched The Pick of Destiny a bunch of times, so I'm more or less an expert.

Esch

Banned
I thought metal was all about worshipping the elder gods of rock and shit. Of course, I know don't listen to metal often, but I watched The Pick of Destiny a bunch of times, so I'm more or less an expert.

This definitely applies to the legends from the 70's-80's, but it never lasted through for the people who made the best of genre in the 90s unfortunately. But following that was a lot of different ideological schisms in the genre and everyone started getting @ each other on the internet.

My point is that they're both young man's games as far as we look at it. If we think of 'grown man' rap albums that have received commercial or critical success the short list looks like this:

- Blueprint 3
- Kingdom Come
- Life Is Good
- Recovery
- Relapse
- The Night's Gambit

???

WanderingWind

I don't think anybody in the world disagrees that rap is a young man's world. Shit, I still find it funny that Em's funniest diss at Benzino was his grandfather status. Hailie is in college now. Game tried that same shit with Jay and got told to go lay down.

Age used to be a death knell in the rap game, but the old legends are still showing up in sales. I mean, the big names are still outselling a vast majority of the young guys, so while it's still a young man's game, being old isn't autodeath any more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom