• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTX| Long Live the Watcher

Status
Not open for further replies.
You're only 23? Jeeeez, with the way you post I thought you were like mid thirties or something.

Guess Europe matures ninjas faster

I always pictured 36 Chambers as the old guy in the back of the club, sitting down drinking bottled water after sweating up a storm during an 80s throwback set.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Kanye works best when he has an established force in the studio who can challenge him or focus his vision accurately (Jon Brion and Rick Rubin come to mind). When he's left to his own devices or with a less powerful personality (Mike Dean) you get Graduation at worst, College Dropout at best. Dark Fantasy is in the middle I guess.
This is completely unsupported. He had an established force on College Dropout as well. Cons, Marie Ben Aire, GLC, Really Doe, Rhymefest, I think Jeff Bhasker was around in some capacity then too? TCD is arguably one of Kanye's best pieces of content and nobody was there to challenge him but himself. Jesus Walks, probably the most important record of his career, was shopped around even before he got the TCD team together. Then you call Mike Dean a less powerful personality? Lolwut? Mike Dean said the only reason he sticks with Kanye and doesn't really want to work with anyone else anymore is because Kanye is always challenging HIS conceptions of music and progression in sound.

I think the problem with Kanye is also what makes him great, it's the unrelenting hunger. Dude wants to push boundaries no matter what. It's what gave us Graduation, 808s and Yeezus as distinct sounds, that happened to go over well with certain subsets of music fans. You're listening to the next Kanye album primarily to see what he does next and whether it bears fruits or not. He doesn't care who works on something, as long as it's the best and it's fresh (which ends up giving some argumentative lee way because of his creative process but the consistency and common element is on the table).

I firmly believe the state of Kanye's personal life is what determines how his records come out. Graduation was on an absolute high of his career, and aged pretty poorly because he wasn't really pushing anything but an alternative sound at that point. His seminal works, TCD, 808s and MBDTF, came at points where he had something to prove or say; be it that he can hang as a rapper with something different to say or offer hip-hop with TCD, create a autotuned, emotional album in the face of a his mothers death/relationship struggles and an autotune stigma in 808s, or when he needed to prove his humanity to the world and seek redemption through the overarching themes in MBDTF. This is also why late 2013 was a scary time to be a Kanye fan, because he was losing his grip on reality.

Also, you and Esch both continue confounding minimalism as a technique with it as a categorical measure. Pointless trying to argue this if you can't remove the pretend goals you put for Kanye's sound or some imaginary desire he has to make "minimal music" out of your argument.

Esch

Banned
I decided to write a little mini review for Lil Herb's Welcome to Fazoland since GAF-Hop isn't stanning it nearly the way you they should. I believe personally that everyone who likes hip hop should check out this tape even if they don't like trap, the drill scene, or the crime they associate it with. This shit is dope and there's no question about it. When Tguy told me to cop it, he described it to me as "the most important trap album in years... reminds me of the first time I listened to Flockaveli" and while I enjoyed this at first, I wasn't ready to drop that type of accolade on top of it. However, multiple listens have convinced me. I haven't heard a modern street album with this mix of raw energy mic onslaught and introspection in years. There's a furious, grinding, nihilistic quality to a lot of the songs that reminds me almost of new york death metal in terms of the sonic assault being laid forth. I look at this and Keef's work as different sides of the same coin. Whereas Chief Keef responds to the hopelessness of the Chicago streets with inaction, anaesthesia and numbing depression, Herb responds with action and rejection of his environment; he grabs the mic and spits with a frenzied hunger, greed even. It's the difference between a Mobb Deep and a 50 Cent. He wants to exceed, rise above, match his peers and then supercede them. Yet between the drilling hard trap songs there are moments of retro and introspection and softness, vulnerability. The beats are fucking nuts too; the Cannon shows more versatility than you would expect and often embeds small samples from soul or other forms of music amidst synth banger war music and it complements the themes of the album perfectly. I don't feel uncomfortable saying that this is a tie with Cocaine Pinata for my album of the year 2014 so far amidst strong, strong competition. Like I said, even if you don't mess with trap you owe yourself to check this out if you enjoy street music of any kind.

Koolin an apocalyptic, braggadocious banger

Mamma I'm Sorry An apology to family sensu 2pac, Jay-Z rebirthed in synth clothing

At the Light a tale of caution and violence

Fight or Flight A soft, introspective look at life on chicago streets over soft, loungy music.

4 Minutes of Hell A showcase of bars no chorus over a motherfucking Dead Can Dance sample. Come on.

Another Day Murder music.

Designer An interesting parody/homage to Migos, but doesn't use their comic, lighthearted phrasing and instead approaches from a high octane, greedy perspective.

Click to download:

Don't sleep, friends.

Cheddahz

Banned
Just found out that I got fucked over by my advisor at school, as I was told that I needed to take Math 111 (which is College Algebra) to get a art degree and it turns out that I just needed Math 101 (which is basic math). This wouldn't be a huge problem, but my professor is an asshole who tells me that I'm "not trying" (yet, I email her questions about the homework and study my ass off for the class) and I'm failing the class and I'll probably end up losing my $5000 scholarship

Anyways, anything cool happen in the music world today?

EDIT: Sorry for the rant

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Just found out that I got fucked over by my advisor at school, as I was told that I needed to take Math 111 (which is College Algebra) to get a art degree and it turns out that I just needed Math 101 (which is basic math). This wouldn't be a huge problem, but my professor is an asshole who tells me that I'm "not trying" (yet, I email her questions about the homework and study my ass off for the class) and I'm failing the class and I'll probably end up losing my $5000 scholarship

That is not an insignificant scholarship, damn. Hope you get it worked out man.

EDIT: Convenient timing on that Lil Herb writeup, the No DJ version of the tape literally just came out.

Esch

Banned
"important", "trap", "Lil", but ok, i'll give it a shot.

thats why I provided those sample songs, but if you do download play it in the whip for maximum
gladbron.png
potential. I think Herb is an unpolished gem. He still has some rough edges, but his delivery and intensity seal the deal for me.
EDIT: Convenient timing on that Lil Herb writeup, the No DJ version of the tape literally just came out.

gladbron.png

Not sure I can willingly download any material from a man who purposely calls himself Lil' Herb, but my boy Esch's thoughtful review has convinced me to give it a shot.

Not sure I can willingly download any material from a man who purposely calls himself Lil' Herb, but my boy Esch's thoughtful review has convinced me to give it a shot.

Yea that name was kinda making me not check for it tbh and that Peterboi was the one hyping it.. might check it out tho.. the samples seemed pretty hot.

overcast

Damn, that's awful. 5000 dollars is huge too, I'm doing solid this semester, but I need to get my lazy ass in gear, I'm lucky I've done relatively well.

I had no idea 36 Chambers was 23. That's insane. When he told me to hit Dublin if I went to Europe I was worried I would be hitting clubs with a 40 year old.

Fazoland no dj is a blessing.

Cheddahz

Banned
Damn, that's awful. 5000 dollars is huge too, I'm doing solid this semester, but I need to get my lazy ass in gear, I'm lucky I've done relatively well.

I'm not even doing bad in my other classes (I have an A in all of my other classes besides one class). It's not like I ditch class or don't do anything, but it just sucks when a professor basically treats you like shit and you're just trying to get through the class. I guess I'll see what happens in a month or so

Esch

Banned

Yea that name was kinda making me not check for it tbh and that Peterboi was the one hyping it.. might check it out tho.. the samples seemed pretty hot.

I'll give it a peep this weekend.
If you guys wasted your time at all with shit like Finally Rich (and fuck me i did), then you owe it to yourself to cleanse your trap palate with this shit. It's not super lyrical, but it makes up for that in terms of how much passion Herb has.

He needs to change his name though. Lil Bibby, Lil Durk, and Lil Smoke too.

Esch

Banned
Maybe he'll have a growth spurt soon.

It's weird isn't it? He's a 123lb 17 year old and his voice and music just seem older and weightier than that. But shit is dope, especially because it mostly stays away from joke type 2chainz/Migos punchline reiteration and Kevin Gates/Future autocrooning almost completely. It's just straight street raps, machine gun, nihilist, hell on American earth shit.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
It's weird isn't it? He's a 123lb 17 year old and his voice and music just seem older and weightier than that. But shit is dope, especially because it mostly stays away from joke type 2chainz/Migos punchline reiteration and Kevin Gates/Future autocrooning almost completely. It's just straight street raps, machine gun, nihilist, hell on American earth shit.

Man, he should link up with Jay Rock.... Like, Fuuuuck that'd be rad. That was the best thing I first noticed about this tape last month. Very little jokes and the hooks were solid. Kid has a promising future.

wenis

Watching you guys bickering over Yeezus got me to flip it on again.

Still like it.

Esch

Banned
Man, he should link up with Jay Rock.... Like, Fuuuuck that'd be rad. That was the best thing I first noticed about this tape last month. Very little jokes and the hooks were solid. Kid has a promising future.

Freddie Gibbs collab would also be powerful.

Watching you guys bickering over Yeezus got me to flip it on again.

Still like it.

Me too.

big ander

Lotta convenience with the lil herb talk, after a couple plays at home over the past weeks I played it driving today for the first time and was gonna post about how its staying power is making it a top 5 2014 rap release for me. Esch you put it better than I could overall. I think what seals it for me is how death-obsessed it is. Other trap records always have the "rip [crew]" shoutouts but G Herb seems truly haunted by losing so many friends. Which makes it that much more powerful when he raps about needing to keep hustling in what's basically a post-apocalyptic wasteland, over these precise trap/drill instrus with the right amount of dirty soul sampling to make em feel practically operatic. Plus it connects because like you said, it's not the stripped-nerves numbness of Keef or anything. It's a kid with no choice but the grind despite the pain. EDIT: oh yeah, dude can ride a beat too. Always feels just on time.

Coincidence the nodj is out too, was starting to itch every time I heard the CANNON

wenis

Freddie Gibbs collab would also be powerful.

Me too.
Just get all three of them in a room and let em go crazy. I'd even like to see Herb try himself on some non-trap beats when he grows into whoever he's becoming.
Next Gangrene project

Esch

Banned
Lotta convenience with the lil herb talk, after a couple plays at home over the past weeks I played it driving today for the first time and was gonna post about how its staying power is making it a top 5 2014 rap release for me. Esch you put it better than I could overall. I think what seals it for me is how death-obsessed it is. Other trap records always have the "rip [crew]" shoutouts but G Herb seems truly haunted by losing so many friends. Which makes it that much more powerful when he raps about needing to keep hustling in what's basically a post-apocalyptic wasteland, over these precise trap/drill instrus with the right amount of dirty soul sampling to make em feel practically operatic. Plus it connects because like you said, it's not the stripped-nerves numbness of Keef or anything. It's a kid with no choice but the grind despite the pain. EDIT: oh yeah, dude can ride a beat too. Always feels just on time.

Coincidence the nodj is out too, was starting to itch every time I heard the CANNON

Word, you're definitely right about him on the mic. The first time I heard him on this song and and this song he had me doing the banderas gif. Low key, he has a lot of flows. Some of his shit is a deliberate Curren$y type dealy and then some of it is more faster paced stuff but his breath control and punctuation are always consistently quite good. Death obsessed sums it up perfectly. It has the same nihilism as The Infamous type music, but the approach is just so much more aggressive and violent in delivery.

Tokubetsu

When I first started the tape I thought I was suffering from drill/chicago based fatigue but a lot of the tape is so sinister sounding I had to love it.

Side Note: I adore this new Drake song.

overcast

Any news on when the ASAP Mob album drops? Also that moose guy is kinda annoying in real life
I would be disappointed if he wasn't.

Which artists have your favorite cover arts? I'm gonna go with Outkast, I love all of their covers. Classic shit. Some people have hit and miss covers for sure. I like Kendrick for Section 80 and GKMC so far.

Esch

Banned
When I first started the tape I thought I was suffering from drill/chicago based fatigue but a lot of the tape is so sinister sounding I had to love it.

Side Note: I adore this new Drake song.
The only thing else I liked from there recently was Free Crack, the rest has been trash

Kendrick has bad cover art.

The best cover art is Daleks. Easily. I also like Kool G Raps. MF Doom has good cover art, so do Common and Mos Def.

Roflobear

I would be disappointed if he wasn't.

Which artists have your favorite cover arts? I'm gonna go with Outkast, I love all of their covers. Classic shit. Some people have hit and miss covers for sure. I like Kendrick for Section 80 and GKMC so far.

Gotta go with ASAP Rocky. I love that whole American flag + black and white thing he does

This is completely unsupported. He had an established force on College Dropout as well. Cons, Marie Ben Aire, GLC, Really Doe, Rhymefest, I think Jeff Bhasker was around in some capacity then too? TCD is arguably one of Kanye's best pieces of content and nobody was there to challenge him but himself. Jesus Walks, probably the most important record of his career, was shopped around even before he got the TCD team together. Then you call Mike Dean a less powerful personality? Lolwut? Mike Dean said the only reason he sticks with Kanye and doesn't really want to work with anyone else anymore is because Kanye is always challenging HIS conceptions of music and progression in sound.

I don't see anyone here who challenged Kanye more than Brion or Rubin. CD was basically Kanye and his homeboys making the album they dreamed about. Kanye was completely in his element during the album. whereas LR found him in a completely different environment surrounded by people with next to no hip hop experience. Of course that was challenging, and it made Kanye better. The same applies to Yeezus, where Rubin probably walked in the room and shook his head listening to Kanye's uggo shit before fixing it.

Tokubetsu

Late Registration stay the Kanye album I almost never go back to. "Drive Slow" the only song on there I can actually say I *love*.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
K.R.I.T. is unbelievably consistent in cover art. Curren$y is good, but he's super predictable, much like his music. Weeknd is good before his debut album (thank god for custom artwork). Big Sean and 50 are probably the best when it comes to artists that use their own image on their covers (which I'm usually not a fan of.. which is also what comprises most hip-hop pre-2000).

I don't see anyone here who challenged Kanye more than Brion or Rubin. CD was basically Kanye and his homeboys making the album they dreamed about. Kanye was completely in his element during the album. whereas LR found him in a completely different environment surrounded by people with next to no hip hop experience. Of course that was challenging, and it made Kanye better. The same applies to Yeezus, where Rubin probably walked in the room and shook his head listening to Kanye's uggo shit before fixing it.
So it's not a challenge if it's not a person challenging him? TCD was arguably when he has the most pressure on his career. Either that or MBDTF. That wasn't just being in his element, and that's also what made him transcend to a place where he could make TCD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom