• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTX| Long Live the Watcher

Status
Not open for further replies.

Esch

Banned
K.R.I.T. is unbelievably consistent in cover art. Curren$y is good, but he's super predictable, much like his music. Weeknd is good before his debut album (thank god for custom artwork). Big Sean and 50 are probably the best when it comes to artists that use their own image on their covers (which I'm usually not a fan of.. which is also what comprises most hip-hop pre-2000).

Ice Cube, Jay and Pac have the best "dude on a cover" cover art.

Roflobear

lmao u new jack dumb idiot

OutKast_-_Stankonia.JPG

Rocky did it better

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Ice Cube, Jay and Pac have the best "dude on a cover" cover art.
Forgot about Ice Cube. Ice Cube is definitely up there and above the others.

Pac too I guess. Sort of kept him off the list because I don't really like the cover to 2Pacalypse Now.

Indifferent about Jay. I only like Reasonable Doubt and Blueprint out of all of his old stuff. Black Album and onwards I like though, minus MCHG. He's up there for the sheer number of albums with good art though.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I agree with Toku about LR. I mostly rate it high because it's TCD II and more cohesive than much of the rest of Kanye's disco.

Graduation tho.. way too many jams. Damn near every song on there pumps me up when I take a walk in the morning. Great motivation album.

Good Morning
Champion
Good Life
The Glory
Barry Bonds
Stronger
LA LA LA LA WAIT TILL I GET MY MONEY RIGHT

HiResDes

Late Registration is top three Ye. When you agree with Toku just know that most of the time you're wrong. Graduation might be his worst

mooooose

Not trying to stan, but I really like the Clipse album covers.

clipse~~~~~_lordwilli_101b.jpg

15883721e9c52661a36b2ba30c56e868c2a5f25b.jpg

But the ones that are bad... are bad. And they don't have a huge discography anyway to show off the cover art.

Mos Def and MF Doom are great choices too. Always great album covers. The first round of Wu-Tang stuff, up to Forever, were also pretty great. Undeniable that Jay's covers are very recognizable.

Kanye's are good but I'm definitely biased against them. I just feel like he tries to find a cover that identifies the album perfectly but it misses the mark for me.

De La and the Tribe have some good ones too. Also agree with Outkast.

Esch

Banned
Indifferent about Jay. I only like Reasonable Doubt and Blueprint out of all of his old stuff. Black Album and onwards I like though, minus MCHG. He's up there for the sheer number of albums with good art though.

I agree, but I also liked the Vol.3 art for the shade and perspective.

What we should talk about is good art for singles, because that shit is always atrocious.

mooooose

I agree, but I also liked the Vol.3 art for the shade and perspective.

What we should talk about is good art for singles, because that shit is always atrocious.

Ghost and Rae had some really really reeeeeally good early singles art

criminology-song.jpg

Heaven_%26_Hell.jpg

0.jpg

But the credit goes to whoever made these, I don't think they had direction as artists at all. Infact the Clipse covers were probably put together by Pharrell. I have more respect for Doom/Mos than the people I've given props to.

Esch

Banned
Ghost and Rae had some really really reeeeeally good early singles art

Yeah, that actually reminds me that Ghost has pretty good "I'm a dude on a cover" art, as far as "I'm a dude on a cover" art goes.

You know who has the most inconsistent cover art? Nas.

Street's Disciple and Illmatic have amazing cover art, but all the rest is kinda hot garbage looking except for The Lost Tapes which is good. I want to like Stillmatic, but his poor choice of an orange traffic cone jumpsuit and a Lil' Kim squatting pose really turn me off. I suppose Distant Relatives has okay, if boilerplate art. Of all the bad 'photoshop fade to a brown background' faces on his albums, I guess Nastradamus looks the best.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
T.I. and Iggy Azalea interview. T.I. is only there because Iggy doesn't trust them.

Rosenberg: "Tell me what the money was like for being on the biggest single of the past year"
T.I.: "Let's just say I have 18% of history"

I didn't know that it was the most played radio record in history, wow.

Also lmfao I didn't know Flex played Iggys record only to say THIS RECORD IS TRASH afterwards ahahaha that's so cruel but hilarious at the same time

EDIT: Tip also gives a pretty interesting plan for his next album. 3 acts, 3 short films, and it's called Paper Work. Sort of corny theme though "I handle the trap, Pharrell handles the art house." Art house SMH

EDIT2: T.I. on RiFF RaFF: "I don't want to fall into any hole he's been in" DEAD

Welcome To Fazoland's cool, but it's a little tiring. Shave about 20 minutes off of it, keep the best tracks, make it a real concise project that punches you in the face then rides off, and it would be even better. EDIT: Talking about the NODJ version, I dunno if the original was the same length.

Esch

Banned
Welcome To Fazoland's cool, but it's a little tiring. Shave about 20 minutes off of it, keep the best tracks, make it a real concise project that punches you in the face then rides off, and it would be even better. EDIT: Talking about the NODJ version, I dunno if the original was the same length.

no dj version has extras, though I agree there are like 1-2 tracks on the OG i would lose (on the corner and all i got)

either way, shit THUMPS

Late Registration is top three Ye. When you agree with Toku just know that most of the time you're wrong. Graduation might be his worst

Definitely agree. I do like Grad though but would have to rank the others above it.

Also:

8rC7pUX.jpg

Alternate cover is good too as far as rappers on their own covers.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Yeezus is Ye's worst album. Graduation is one up. Both still super dope.

Y'all tryna say Graduation doesn't have jams? It's jams: the album for the most part. Shit like I Wonder stays underrated too.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Listening to this Smoke DZA. Loving it, seriously.

The way I am listening to it is kind of giving me some pause. I am listening on Google Play. I am a former DJ who still has over 1000 records in storage. So listening to something digitally, but not actually owning it is kind of fucking with me. Most of the new albums I have heard have been via Google Play, haven't bought shit.

Hip Hop

Are you guys serious right now?

Graduation is Kanye's best album.

Saying this as a Kanye fan that bought College Dropout on the day of release.

Pinata is timeless gangsta rap. The only thing here that will date the album is the Jeezy diss.

It's too early to make a statement like that but whatever.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
cmon fam

not even the Late Orchestration version of Bring Me Down doe?

it's his worst album, but there's like 3-5 (out of 16) tracks worth saving from it. I just remember hearing it the first time and just being bored. I still am, but it gave the world Hey Mama so I'm not super agro on it, but it isn't his best record. not by a long mile.

his catalog >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>LR

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
ET36, how do you feel about Prodigy and Havoc agreeing on The Breakfast Club that Drake would be a serious problem for Jay if the Drake/Jay beef became a thing?

PBY

Banned
ET36, how do you feel about Prodigy and Havoc agreeing on The Breakfast Club that Drake would be a serious problem for Jay if the Drake/Jay beef became a thing?
Really think drake would ether most dudes in a real battle. Dudes quotables per bar are insane. He'd make some dumb hook that people would remember and it'd be a wrap.

I FUCKED UR BITCH, BANK ACCOUNT GOT MORE Os,
NINJA THATS THE MOTTO YOLO

game over.

Cudder

Guys, what do you think of Kanye West? I just scrummed through each GafHop OT and couldn't find any of your opinions on him.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Really think drake would ether most dudes in a real battle. Dudes quotables per bar are insane. He'd make some dumb hook that people would remember and it'd be a wrap.

game over.
I think from an influence standpoint, yeah this could happen but Jay is still big bro.

It's not as black and white as I asked, but they did make the point that everything Jay would pretty much be talking the same stuff he does in recent raps anyways (my chick the baddest, I have more money than you, etc.) and Drake would be able to say how fast his ascent was, then Jay would pull the Rihanna card etc.

Sounds like lame times all around.

game over.

Bitch you wasn't with me shooting in the gym!

I think Jay Z would hurt him but this beef would actually be pretty strong through popularity. Drake would definitely give some quotables.

whos on that riff raff train with me

lil mama i'm sorry is his best song. if you replaced the artist name (and image) it would have been a hit. i hope he makes more stuff like that instead of the boring "gucci this, white eddie murphy, versace oatmeal etc. etc."

Vorheez

Been listening to Ready to Die a lot on the way to and from work, this album man... Its just too good

Very few artists give that much heart and aggression anymore, I can feel biggies words

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom