• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTX| Long Live the Watcher

Status
Not open for further replies.

PlayDat

Good job. I go to concerts whether people I know go or not. Often times they don't.

In fact, I can have more fun alone and meeting people through it. Worth it to see an act you want to see.

True. I'd rather go alone than drag people who are gonna complain the whole time. It might take a little effort but you can still have plenty of fun since everyone around you actually wants to be there.

T Dollarz

So that Oxymoron show a couple nights ago... shit was hot brehs. We got there a little late so we missed Audio Push and Vince Staples, but Isaiah Rashad was a good opener. The guys I was with were fine just hanging in the back and smoking blunts, so I decided like halfway through Rashad's set to ditch 'em and get as far up as I could. Best decision. By the time Q came out, I had followed pushing this huge offensive linemen ass dude all the way up to the third row!! Place was fucking packed, probably the best crowd of any show I've been to. Shit was so hype for Q like omg... Most hype songs were Break the Bank, mAAd City (Lol Q just stood there as the crowd went batshit crazy), Man of the Year, Druggys Wit Hoes, This What They Want, etc... really great setlist IMO, every song was something I was hoping for. Q never took a break and just played out the whole show, I couldn't believe it. Encore was Oxymoron!! (I just stopped selling crack today!!!) Man of the Year though... that is the craziest things have ever gotten at a show I've been too. Overall he gave one hell of a performance. And the DJ before he came out played the most hype playlist, all songs that I love. I was gonna leave to get a beer or something but crowd was still really into the DJ and I was so close I just rode out the whole show. My friends were pissed I ditched 'em and I guess were trying to get a hold of me the whole show but fuck it, you're at a concert, free for all to get best positioning as possible IMO, unless you're with your girl. Chugged a tall boy on the way and smoked 4 blunts anyways so I was still super toasty the whole show. All in all great experience, and was so positive on it that I bought the Oxymoron shirt which looks really nice. That's how I support my artists, I might not buy your music, but if you come to my town and put on a live show at a reasonable price, hell yeah imma support.

FIGG SIIIIIIIIDEEEE

Cheddahz

Banned
Well, I got myself for Record Store Day (since I'm at work and I don't feel like driving an hour to the closest record store). I'm hoping that is shows up in decent condition (since it's the cheapest I've ever seen it for vinyl)

BrZE7iU.png

With all my heart, I truly hate Hov / Beyonce collabs. They're bad with the exception of Crazy in Love (bonnie and clyde is OK i guess) it needs to stop. He's going on tour with her, he better not waste time on a duet album with her. The whole outlaw/good girl dualities thing is wack. They're filming an On the Run video too for the single, SMH.

Shoulda remixed Heaven with Rae and Ghost, and pushed Crown as a single instead.

... Budden was right.

Big Ghost's Illmatic review is up.
Good stuff. Gave my fav song the lowest rating though shieet gotta disagree on that one. (Represent)

edit: Also, best line from Jay Elec's Control verse?
"Put your trust in the lord but tether your Chevy Nova" always stuck with me.

We talking cheese or chocolate fondue bruh. I only like the former.

Chocolate is superior without question, but if someone is making cheese fondue and invites me over it's not like I'm going to turn it down. And borderline fondue-ish stuff like queso flameado? Man. Man.

Either way I can guarantee Drake is all about fondue. He probably has a fondue/found you rhyme in his book somewhere that he's frantically scratching out right now. Drake probably cops gift cards to the Melting Pot.

OG Kush

Why is just between cheese or chocolate fondue? What bout just normal fondue where you cook meat in a some water/oil type shit?!

Marlon Waynans discusses Jay v Nas

Pretty funny video but it made a point I can't believe I never thought of: in many ways Jay v Nas was like getting a glimpse at Rakim v Big Daddy Kane. Rakim being Nas, and BDK being Jay. Very similar in terms of rapping styles: Rakim tended to focus on a slower, more complex multisyllabic pattern whereas BDK had a faster, more versatile flow that bended back and forth between various styles.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
NR's #Illmatic20 Tribute Mixtape.
And so we wanted to pay tribute to this remarkable record in a manner befitting a piece of art that has meant so much to all of us and to so many others for so long. We reached out to the new generation of New York MCs and asked them to join us in paying homage to Nas and his magnum opus over the same timeless tracks that underscored his historic bars back in 1994 (plus a few of the remixes). Needless to say, if you were born or raised in the boroughs, Nas’ music has touched you in one way or another, and an amazingly talented array of artists stepped up to honor Esco.

Featuring contributions from Al-Doe, Mr. Muthafuckin’ eXquire, Troy Ave, Bodega Bamz, YC The Cynic, Denzil Porter, Smoke DZA, Doley Bernays, Timeless Truth, Euro League, Pete from Bitches Is Crazy, The Incomparable Shakespeare and SHIRT, this project is as much a showcase of the homegrown talent that has been reinvigorating the NY Rap scene over the last couple of years as it is a thank you letter to Nasir Jones. And really, what higher praise is there than that which comes from a generation of artists that cite you as a direct influence?

I feel like I wanna try it but it seems kinda bland. Boiled meat? In water?

I sleep pretty heavy on hotpots and the like. Maybe I should give them a try. I always flip past them on asian menus and cop other shit.

It's best to go to places dedicated only to hotpot stuff. They usually have different stuff to flavor the pot and make it more broth-y cause like you suspect just boiling water + meat is pretty bland, but even in that case you get dipping sauces to flavor the meat after you boil.

Never been blown away by it but it's pretty good.

edit: actually been told most japanese places just do boiling water but Chinese places use broth.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
GAFHOP ALERT:

I know some of you wanted OLD on LP, well it's out now apparently. Had no idea it was coming out but I just bought it at amoeba.

DominoKid

Gucci Mane ‏@gucci1017 1m
Young Thugga Mane La Flare. Mixtape Dropping tomorrow 4/20 for the Holiday hosted by DJ Holiday a DatPiff Exclusive!!!! Burrr

Who The Hell Am I: My Frustrating 20-Year Love/Hate Relationship With Nasir Jones

Great article that really captures some of the the frustrations of Nas.
I felt let down because Nas was better than the music he was making. Going from Rap God to mere mortal who raps exceptionally well is rather disappointing. Nastradamous was the pinnacle of my frustrations. The brilliance of “Project Window” (which was overproduced compared to a stripped down version I had on a mixtape) juxtaposed next to “You Owe Me” and the putrid “Big Girl” had me clutching my heart and yelling “This is The Big One, Elizabeth” like I was Fred Sanford. It was like watching Michael Jordan become the league leader in assists just so he could feel like a team player. But what’s the point of winning some trivial short-term battle when you are losing a war with history?

While many look at some of Nas' worse albums of the 90s (half of I Am, and Nastradamus) as disappointing failures that "suck" to me it's more complex. Nas...is rapping pretty damn well on both albums. I Am starts out with one of his most lyrically stunning songs, NY State of Mind II. Multiple tracks feature amazing lyrics and flows. Same applies to Nastradamus which has Come Get Me, Project Window, and Life We Chose. Yet the projects are extremely uneven due to Nas' search for mainstream appeal.

I'm reminded of Questlove's book where he notes the night he saw Nas/Illmatic lose every away to Biggie/Ready to Die at the Source Awards, and how uncomfortable Nas looked. He said Black Thought witnessed it too, and said Nas would never be the same. He has tried to replicate Biggie's rap & bullshit approach to mainstream tracks, and they almost never work. He got it right the first time, with If I Ruled The World. But it's been about a 70% miss rate since then (although I like You Won't See Me Tonight). He never mastered the ability to dumb down for radio, like Biggie or Jay. Biggie's singles feature slower flows and simpler rhymes, but they're still good tracks. He understood that he couldn't do Big Poppa with the same strategy as he did Machine Gun Funk, for instance. Nas never got that.

Even more frustrating is the beat selection. I could forgive some bad mainstream songs if they had dope beats and nice hooks. Even that shit isn't done right on Nas albums.

Ultimately the frustration is listening to someone who is clearly better than his peers on nearly every level, but is limited due to his surroundings. It's like watching a great running back behind a shitty offensive line in football. You know he's better than his stats but you sound like a fanboy when you make the argument.

HiResDes

Pretty spot on, Nas is still better than most rappers when viewed separately from the production of the tracks in which he's featured. He's aged better as a rapper than most of his peers including How, Em, Prodigy, and the like.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Pretty spot on, Nas is still better than most rappers when viewed separately from the production of the tracks in which he's featured. He's aged better as a rapper than most of his peers including How, Em, Prodigy, and the like.
Definitely.

Nas is still one of those rappers that can give me chills through what he writes. I honestly can't say that about many other active artists today. His verse on Hip Hop really cemented that in my head as he reflected on his legacy and sort of accepted the fate of his career, so to speak.

I honestly can't think of one rapper from his era who is rapping as well as him today. Prodigy sometimes sounds like he forgot how to rap, and Hov is like someone who switched their jump shot up and lost 30% of their accuracy. Em...no explanation needed, listen to MMLP2 (although I admit Rap God has grown on me, a ton). Ghostface often sounds uninspired.

And this makes it even more frustrating because you just know he could release something really fucking dope...if he had the right production. For instance, Nasty:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wo97R0ib1CE

That's a pretty amazing song, lyrically, but the beat is just weak. Weak drums, weak scratching, it just doesn't hit you as hard as the rapping. If you pair him up with T-Minus, Justice League, ALCHEMIST, Just Blaze, whoever...you will get an AOTY contender.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom