• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTX| Long Live the Watcher

Status
Not open for further replies.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Lupe's fall from grace is one of the most tragic things to happen in hip-hop.

Dude used to be the other side of the coin from pop/dance rap, and then his attitudes turned extreme and toxic. Everything became heavy handed, then he started doing all this other stupid shit, started becoming a hypocrite in some senses, etc.

It really is a shame. Was never a Lupe stan or anything, but I felt he was a pretty good crossover conscious rap artist that wasn't too heavy handed.

Still can't fucking believe Lyor went out with that boombox to put life into fucking Lasers.

Nobody is saying Kendrick shouldn't do party songs, he already does party songs. He already does lady tracks. People appreciate his introspective lyricism. Even on pop tracks like Poetic Justice, it shines through (see the last verse). If Kendrick released an album full of bangers I don't think anyone would complain. However if he released an album full of bangers about popping molly, sure there would be an issue.

Nas comparisons work perfect here. People were disappointed that the introspective "project window poet" disappeared for most of IWW, replaced by Nas Escobar. Nevermind that people got a glimpse of that Nas on the very first track on Illmatic, and arguably the most iconic/best song (NY State of Mind). Everyone loved Nas Escobar on Verbal Intercourse and Eye For an Eye. But an entire album of it, plus the mainstream Trackmasters production and big Lauryn Hill single, led to calls of selling out. But let's be real: Nas actually did sell out on IWW, he has basically admitted it. How many tracks are introspective or thought provoking outside of I Gave You Power, Black Girl Lost (smh), and Suspect.

I'd be money that Kendrick's next album will be a bunch of Maad City type bangers, you can tell based off how much focus that song gets that he understands what audiences want.

Esch

Banned
Nas comparisons work perfect here. People were disappointed that the introspective "project window poet" disappeared for most of IWW, replaced by Nas Escobar. Nevermind that people got a glimpse of that Nas on the very first track on Illmatic, and arguably the most iconic/best song (NY State of Mind). Everyone loved Nas Escobar on Verbal Intercourse and Eye For an Eye. But an entire album of it, plus the mainstream Trackmasters production and big Lauryn Hill single, led to calls of selling out. But let's be real: Nas actually did sell out on IWW, he has basically admitted it. How many tracks are introspective or thought provoking outside of I Gave You Power, Black Girl Lost (smh), and Suspect.

I'd be money that Kendrick's next album will be a bunch of Maad City type bangers, you can tell based off how much focus that song gets that he understands what audiences want.

Yep. I listen to IWW much more than Illmatic nowadays because I find it to be an interesting look at how an artist evolves and changes under certain pressures wrt to the market and the A&Rs. Like Vol. 1, there are some clear cut sellout moves, but other tracks overcompensate for the jiggy shit with some of the gutterest music both guys ever made (Take It In Blood, Where I'm From, etc).

Palabrah

Nobody is saying Kendrick shouldn't do party songs, he already does party songs. He already does lady tracks. People appreciate his introspective lyricism. Even on pop tracks like Poetic Justice, it shines through (see the last verse). If Kendrick released an album full of bangers I don't think anyone would complain. However if he released an album full of bangers about popping molly, sure there would be an issue.

I honestly don't think Kendick will make that mistake because all of his previous projects had a good mix of all that stuff to begin with and GKMC was a natural progession of that. He has banger success with Maad City sure but people genuinely love say Don't Kill My Vibe which is a good division of introspect and radio qualities

Cudder

The only Asher Roth song I've heard was that college one way back, but going through songs on his new album now and it seems pretty good. Always thought he was more of a party type guy? These songs are so mellow.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
The only Asher Roth song I've heard was that college one way back, but going through songs on his new album now and it seems pretty good. Always thought he was more of a party type guy? These songs are so mellow.
His style has definitely evolved, but he had a few mellow songs back in the day too. I mean, his schtick was sort of being a stoner lol

Courage

Sequel albums are rarely good. In fact the only ones i can think up off top that are are Stillmatic and Volume 2. The rest are pretty crap.

I was actually gonna make a thread about it. Are there any sequel albums better than their predecessors?

Another thing I expect from Kendrick: a single that "misses." He'll have all the means of making a hit, from pre-written hooks to dope beats and/or Em features, but can he write another top 20 pop hit, and more importantly - can he do it on the first try, without multiple misses (see: Rick Ross)?

Say what you will about Cole but he has figured out exactly how radio works, to great effect (that single with Miguel for Born Sinner is a great pop song, as is the one with TLC). Drake can do whatever he wants and get radio play so it doesn't matter (The Language, Headlines, etc are trash imo). Can Kendrick do it again? I'm still baffled he turned an anti drinking song into a hit song, brehs.

Palabrah

he was actually a more.. outspoken different type of rapper that got sucked into corporate for I Love College but nothing else he did was like that. check out the greenhouse effect mixtapes

overcast

Hearing girls talk about "turning up" and then quoting Swimming Pools was pretty hilarious.

Not sure I believe in the idea of Kendrick as a "superstar". Jay-Z, Drake, Em and Kanye or on that tier alone. I'm not sure Kendrick can craft a hit that will get play on the radio without selling out a bit. He'll sell albums though because he has an enormous, supportive fan base. If Q sold 160..

DominoKid

Another thing I expect from Kendrick: a single that "misses." He'll have all the means of making a hit, from pre-written hooks to dope beats and/or Em features, but can he write another top 20 pop hit, and more importantly - can he do it on the first try, without multiple misses (see: Rick Ross)?

Say what you will about Cole but he has figured out exactly how radio works, to great effect (that single with Miguel for Born Sinner is a great pop song, as is the one with TLC). Drake can do whatever he wants and get radio play so it doesn't matter (The Language, Headlines, etc are trash imo). Can Kendrick do it again? I'm still baffled he turned an anti drinking song into a hit song, brehs.

yeah i think Kendrick can make another song with a banging ass hook and verses that nobody gives two fucks about.

yeah i think Kendrick can make another song with a banging ass hook and verses that nobody gives two fucks about.

Yeah, a single that goes nowhere for like 5 months then a few weeks before the album drops label starts pushing the fuck out of it. Interscope did a nice job buying all those singles. Worse than birdman buying The Carter 4 albums

Courage

Still haven't bumped it. My boy tells me it's not absolutely horrifying, but he's always been too kind tbh.

Almost all of the instrumentation is trash, Lupe sounds like he's stuck in the early 2000s.

For someone that complained about Atlantic fucking him over with Lasers, you'd think he'd try to improve it with the sequel to his most acclaimed album.

I'm still baffled he turned an anti drinking song into a hit song, brehs.

lol, nobody heard that message though.

Pour up (Drank) Head shot (Drank)
Sit down (Drank) Stand up (Drank)
Pass out (Drank) Wake up (Drank)
Faded (Drank) Faded (Drank)

Swimming pool full of liquor then you DIIIIiive in it

Kendrick smart. Wrapped it around a catchy hook + bridge. it's like doing a satirical super misogynistic track but all the women are still dancing to it.

Tokubetsu

TM:103 Hustlerz Ambition> Let's Get It: Thug Motivation 101

That's right Domino, I still stand by that

itFlKbDCecBf2.gif

Detox

He pretty much burned bridges with people by selling beats that were suppose to be exclusive to artist, straight up getting caught stealing beats, etc etc
That's unfortunate, I thought he (or whoever he stole it from) did a great job on tm103 and his work with Jeezy in general.

Esch

Banned
if anyone wants part of this metal sesh join the room. rare based extreme metal freestyles coming from my stereo right now.

IrishNinja

i know ive been in & out but is there a wiki version of the esh/blackule thing, cause i feel like i missed out on the subliminals stage

HiResDes

That song was the exception not the rule and always has been... Don't judge any artist by their singles alone.

IrishNinja

celebrating your 5 year anniversary at a career is like celebrating 4 months at a relationship, no one cares & you shouldn't really announce it

d0f35c6cca9a11e3937f0002c9d3a566_8.jpg

I'd actually go see this. The Warm Up was good.. better be $1 again though.

I can just imagine it now

DJ Envy: So what made you decide to go on a 5 year anniversery tour for a mixtape..?

Cole: You know what's crazy, I been planning this for years but you know what's crazy is that Nas came out with the Illmatic 20th anniversary thing, and I was like ahhhh the homie took my idea. So I had to come through still, but it looks like I'm doing what he already did when in reality I was planning this thing for months

Dereck

DJ Envy: So what made you decide to go on a 5 year anniversery tour for a mixtape..?

Cole: You know what's crazy, I been planning this for years but you know what's crazy is that Nas came out with the Illmatic 20th anniversary thing, and I was like ahhhh the homie took my idea. So I had to come through still, but it looks like I'm doing what he already did when in reality I was planning this thing for months
HAHAHA

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
celebrating your 5 year anniversary at a career is like celebrating 4 months at a relationship, no one cares & you shouldn't really announce it
I don't agree with celebrating 5 years for a mixtape exactly, but the average hip-hop career is half that. Far cry from a 4 month relationship. Cole is tenured in the game.

I can just imagine it now

DEAD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom