• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTX| Long Live the Watcher

Status
Not open for further replies.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I love the way the sample is looped in On To The Next One. It really, really gets stuck in your head. And then there's that sort of droning sound in the background that really brings it to life.

Lol the story behind the track would probably upset HRD too. Pharrell found the sample and gave it to Swizz because he was the only one he thought could do it justice.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™

xTNr42m.gif

Lol the story behind the track would probably upset HRD too. Pharrell found the sample and gave it to Swizz because he was the only one he thought could do it justice.

Imagine a few years from now Swizz Beats will end up making a comeback like Tim and Pharrell suddenly he's on every single rap album HRD was anticipating

Esch

Banned
Plus like Muddy said; ultimate troll video. That shit had youtube Alex Jones type dudes fuming with rage. Its pretty much Jays way of fucking with all the people that dont like his music and pop veins when they see his shit blowing up year after year and can't understand it. It was designed to make the CountBlackules of the world mad, and I can always get behind that.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Sort of on the whole boom bap thing, I listened to Black Hystori Project earlier today and it blew my mind. The production is so.. beautiful and booming, and CyHi is spitting like crazy on every song, every other verse has crazy memorable lines. I finally realize why Ye keeps dude around. It really, really surprised me. I think there is maybe only one or two duds on the entire thing.

It's definitely my top project of the year thus far.

Esch

Banned
Its weird because most people hate swizz for not using samples on a lot of his shit but I kinda respect him for it. Like. He got so far doing shit on some Korg keyboard just making his own shit. And a lot of it was hot! I can see why Ye thinks swizzy is a genius or something, because he really is a genuine composer and an oddly successful one.
Sort of on the whole boom bap thing, I listened to Black Hystori Project earlier today and it blew my mind. The production is so.. beautiful and booming, and CyHi is spitting like crazy on every song, every other verse has crazy memorable lines. I finally realize why Ye keeps dude around. It really, really surprised me. I think there is maybe only one or two duds on the entire thing.
Man everyone is saying this. I gotta peep this soon.

HiResDes

Esch I've heard you hate on the Neptunes when they're key game makes Swizz's shit sound pedestrian in their heydey

I forgot what I ranked the Cyhi but I don't think I snubbed it too bad.

Esch

Banned
If you cant fuck with any of these;

Ruff Ryders Anthem
Jigga my N*gga
Blackout
Banned from TV
Money Cash Hoes
Fuck You
Up in Here
Top Down
Good Times
It's Me Bitches
Best of Me
Down Bottom
Coming of Age II
Flesh of My Flesh Blood of My Blood
Blood Pressure
All for the Love

You are a straight hater. Real talk, Swizz is in part behind of one of the biggest stylistic shifts in hip hop. The work he and others did on Lox shit, Vol. 2, and any and all Ruff Ryders shit changed rap. The gully shit on those albums buried the ghost of Puff Daddys sound and jiggy rap in general and that sound pretty much dominated NYC rap till Hov came through with soulful shit on The Dynasty and The Blueprint. You dont have to like him, but his talent and influence are not insubstantial.

Why am I passionately defending Swizz beats at 1AM smdh
Esch I've heard you hate on the Neptunes when they're key game makes Swizz's shit sound pedestrian in their heydey

I forgot what I ranked the Cyhi but I don't think I snubbed it too bad.
Right but Neptunes drums make me wanna kill myself. I wont deny their talent though.

IrishNinja

edit: ^good post, excellent use of list wars for real haha

No I.D. brings magic to whatever he touches. First Chain, D.O.A., Tears of Joy for Ross, pretty much everything on The Dreamer, The Believer. Dude knows how to make soulful and boom bap music without it sounding dated. He brings a certain freshness to old school sounds, can't say that for many other producers that try to emulate those styles.

seriously, No I.D. gets shat on here because of, i don't know, some of ya'll had different expectations of Dreamer/Believer and slept on Cocaine 80's. even some of his beats on Life is Good were great.

I don't really know what to expect of Timbo in '14 but i'm not as off put by his name so much as wondering how he'd fit here.

Seriously how does Swizz keep getting money, dude is the most over appreciated producer in the game. Cole's shit sounds less dated.

Dudes who came up in the late 90s early 00s kinda stan him. Ye called him the producing GOAT. Which is hilarious to me, and unlike most dudes in here I actually like some of his catalogue and respect him.

did Ye really say that? damn.
i can see your point, i mean i recognize dude's work/influence but most of it wasn't my thing. he had some undeniable bangers but too much i didn't dig.

He has no business being on a Nas album in 2014 or ever really. Its not a good stylistic mesh in fact I dont really like swizz with anyone but Hov, X or the LOX.

really though, that last sentence kinda nails it for me, that's where the stuff i liked of his was, and very rarely outside of that. dudes like Just Blaze put in some of their best work around the same artists/era but i could easily fuck with him outside of it too, so if his name was here (for example) it might be a bit weird but not nearly as off-putting.

DominoKid

I'm glad these new rappers basically bypassed emulating Swiss Beats sound in his heyday. I don't think I want to hear that sound regurgitated through 2014 sensibilities.

Esch

Banned
Who is shitting on No ID? No hyperbole. I just dont find his stuff or style too provocative is all. When I see his name on production credits its basically

23.gif

Hes 9th wonder/Young Guru status to me.

You know who Nas should hire? Ski.

PBY

Banned
Who is shitting on No ID? No hyperbole. I just dont find his stuff or style too provocative is all. When I see his name on production credits its basically

23.gif

has ski done anything at all recently?

also, ski is straight B tier for me. He makes dope ass beats, but its all basic looping.

CRS

23.gif

Give me Pilot Talk 3 and then Ski can work with Nas. In the mean time, fuck that.

PBY

Banned
Nas x Khaled is the only thing that makes any sense

Its probably the 1000th time I've made this point here too.

IrishNinja

esh - i like to think he's more consistent than 9th but it's very YMMV...i'll co-sign the Ski nod tho, i wanna say you or someone else here through that name out after the last album and i can see it. has he ever even namedropped dude, or alc for that matter?

re: your prior post on nas as boom-bap/throwback...its why i still think even in '14 that long-talked about primo album could work, even if it ended up as some Lost Tapes^ type shit. that's the thing, he clearly hasn't done poet-from-the-project-window (as PD referenced) in a minute but there's not really an era of Nas that i can't see working with him or say extra P...well, now that Kelis is gone anyway

it'd prolly sell like booty buttcheeks but you know

Nas on MadLib beats ala Pinatas plz

okay so let's just name even more inconsistent producers while we at it

ehhhhh still not seeing it but whatever LISTTENNNNNNNNNN

Esch

Banned
Ski would bless Nas with something dope. He had plenty of dope shit on Pilot Talks and 24 Hour Karate school despite lots of bum rappers. As far as being basic... thats what Nas raps best over. Basic beats that give him space to fill internal rhyme with. Who's trying to hear Nas over some weirdo left field Hovi Baby type shit? Not me...

IrishNinja

Ski would bless Nas with something dope. He had plenty of dope shit on Pilot Talks and 24 Hour Karate school despite lots of bum rappers. As far as being basic... thats what Nas raps best over. Basic beats that give him space to fill internal rhyme with. Who's trying to hear Nas over some weirdo left field Hovi Baby type shit? Not me...

point
but yeah, depends on the producer at that time too - like what Ye did for Com on Be, man that'dve been some shit for Nas right there i think. Ye post MBDTF is way too layered though

PBY

Banned
esh - i like to think he's more consistent than 9th but it's very YMMV...i'll co-sign the Ski nod tho, i wanna say you or someone else here through that name out after the last album and i can see it. has he ever even namedropped dude, or alc for that matter?

re: your prior post on nas as boom-bap/throwback...its why i still think even in '14 that long-talked about primo album could work, even if it ended up as some Lost Tapes^ type shit. that's the thing, he clearly hasn't done poet-from-the-project-window (as PD referenced) in a minute but there's not really an era of Nas that i can't see working with him or say extra P...well, now that Kelis is gone anyway

it'd prolly sell like booty buttcheeks but you know

okay so let's just name even more inconsistent producers while we at it

ehhhhh still not seeing it but whatever LISTTENNNNNNNNNN
There are 3 nas x Khaled songs out there:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1AoJUwL2FGE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-K4812NZHo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GEAwqst0NE (my personal fav, nasir snaps)

All are great

IrishNinja

oh i remember you linking these...okay they make a case but i'm not sure i want a whole album. if his name was up there with these dudes though i'd be less worried now, yeah

Then the production could match the rapper

haha man you Em fans always trynna spread dust onto other legends, i see you

PBY

Banned
wait, did Khaled really produce them shits or just holla on em? that Scarface one is Justice League apparently

haha goddamn it there's worse ones to use than that even
Just holla. I want him to do the same thing tho- curate the album. He gets nas that piff

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Thats his thing dude. Turning average observations into some special shit rain man style. That's why people love him so much, the picture painting.

Some paintings are works of art. Others are finger paintings that you tell your kids you're going to post up on the fridge, but quietly burn on the stove, wondering if it's too late to send your kid to football camp.

Thats his thing dude. Turning average observations into some special shit rain man style. That's why people love him so much, the picture painting.

Breh, some pizza burned the roof of my mouth a few weeks ago and, no lie, that Nas track popped into my head.

That's real life.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
seriously, No I.D. gets shat on here because of, i don't know, some of ya'll had different expectations of Dreamer/Believer and slept on Cocaine 80's. even some of his beats on Life is Good were great.
The Dreamer/The Believer ended up aging really well too. I went back to it and couldn't understand why people turned on it a few weeks after it came out. I guess people were overhyped a bit, but the single strength was present on the album too. I absolutely adore Blue Sky.

I will agree with you for the 1000th time too. Without hyperbole, I can say the best work Nas has done in the past decade has probably been with Khaled (aside from Top Down).

OG Kush

YO! Back to the last good beat Swizz Beats made,how are you lot forgetting the Murder to Excellence beat he produced for Watch the Throne? He produced the first half of the track, the "muder" part and its straight fire. Obviously its a relatively straight forward beat, and the sample does a lot, but still sounds fresh:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFohVm8Or90

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
The Dreamer/The Believer ended up aging really well too. I went back to it and couldn't understand why people turned on it a few weeks after it came out. I guess people were overhyped a bit, but the single strength was present on the album too. I absolutely adore Blue Sky.

A) Blue Sky is still my "I CAN DO IT" jam.
B) People shat on Common because he wrapped promotion of the album up with lame ass drama with Drake that was half-assed and stupid coming from Jay-Z's granddad.

Detox

Nas needs to strike a good balance between old and new producers. Yeah Nas works mainly on simple beats but the God mc is flexible he handles stuff like The Don so well. The current sound may not suit him but the producers behind it and Nas are talented enough that they can adapt if they just spend time in the studio. There's no doubt in my mind that the trap sound will work with Nas. I want him to work with a producer under 30 like Mike Will or Hit Boy even Cole will do.

Detox

All the posts above is just a testament as to why the production side of Nas' albums leaves people dumbfounded he can get anyone to produce for him and then he calls Salaam Remi because Nas doesn't really listen to hiphop he listens to jazz etc and Salaam with his classical and jazz knowledge works better in his head. Give Nas a week in the studio with Mike Will, Lex Luger, 40 or producers of that ilk and you'll get a dope song.

codhand

definitely a hater of 90s Swizzy, shit was trash. Casio preset ass beats, with weak drums and corny fake DJ stabs.

not sure if he went away to production school or something during the early 21st century but whatever happened did wonders for his sense of taste.

YO! Back to the last good beat Swizz Beats made,how are you lot forgetting the Murder to Excellence beat he produced for Watch the Throne? He produced the first half of the track, the "muder" part and its straight fire. Obviously its a relatively straight forward beat, and the sample does a lot, but still sounds fresh:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFohVm8Or90
Great track. Swizz can be great. He can also be garbage.

Esch

Banned
Nas over lex luger... :mjlol:

I wouldn't be averse to hit boy tho. Thats as far as im willing to go with new cats.

Edit: yall talking about Khaled are ignoring one thing; when it comes to crafting 'hit' type records khaled is totally done. His shit sounds like 2008.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom