• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTX| Long Live the Watcher

Status
Not open for further replies.

Esch

Banned
dudes used to bring it on soundtracks, though...it's 'been a minute

Yup.. 90s and 00s chock full of dope rap songs on soundtracks, even if some of them were throwaway.

But those were made by people who were interested in making songs, not jizzing words all over a mic
troll.png

cdyhybrid

Yeah, on soundtracks to movies like Romeo Must Die and Menace II Society. Not for fucking Spider-Man.

Yup.. 90s and 00s chock full of dope rap songs on soundtracks, even if some of them were throwaway.

But those were made by people who were interested in making songs, not jizzing words all over a mic
troll.png

jdaOIew.jpg

illadelph

It's for a Spider-Man soundtrack, what did you expect?

This is coming from the dude that bumps Nick Cannon mixtapes smh
Soundtrack or no, an artist should never half ass anything.

There are plenty of great soundtrack songs: Party and Bullshit, the entire Judgement Night soundtrack, Keep Them Heads Ringin', etc.

i posted 3 times about this album yesterday

its a summer jam-athon

guess i needed a non-soulja boi cosign. :/
It's worth a listen I think. Especially if you're only association with Asher is college and how great it is. These songs are really chill and Curren$y is on it!

Yeah, on soundtracks to movies like Romeo Must Die and Menace II Society. Not for fucking Spider-Man.
This is what I'm sayin
8 Mile still has my favourite movie soundtrack.
Soundtrack or no, an artist should never half ass anything.

There are plenty of great soundtrack songs: Party and Bullshit, the entire Judgement Night soundtrack, Keep Them Heads Ringin', etc.
Doesn't sound half assed imo. Kendrick's Eminem flow gotta go, but lyrically I dig it. But again, it is for Disney's Amazing Spider-Man, not 8 Mile or Get Rich or Die Tryin.

IrishNinja

Batman Forever, fuckin' Street Fighter, Crow...all kindsa OST's got blessed
spider-man 1 if you're uh a fan of chad krogers

Speaking of awesome Hip-Hop soundtrack songs...

Eric B. & Rakim - Juice (Know The Ledge)

this was like the first track i heard where i kept trying to tape it (MTV or radio or whatever) for like a week or two, shit was my jam

Told yall Kendrick is in a lose lose situation. He's either going to release a great album that isn't as good as GKMC, or an average/bad album. There is no middle ground, and people will be poised to declare the album "disappointing" the minute a single is released.

He does "Eminem flow" for a couple songs and all of a sudden sensible people are wondering if the entire album will be like that. Nevermind that he did an amazing feature on Fredo Santana's mixtape recently showcasing his trademark versatile flow and verse.

Esch

Banned
I've gotta admit, i have relished the idea of Kendrick making a sellout type record for a bit now. Just so that the 'real hip hop' crowd shuts their fucking mouth about him and he can go ahead and make whatever he wants. I see why Toku gets so aggy about it. Not that I really want it to happen, I just wish ill on a certain group of annoying hip hop activists out there. Just STFU and let the music happen organically. Tired of people complaining about the 'state of hip hop'

Your average NeoGAF poster who is a 'hip hop fan'

What are y'all gonna do if the new Kendrick album is nothing but Eminem flows?

I'd laugh my ass off.

Logic ft. Big Sean - Alright?

whoooooo. too good.

Told yall Kendrick is in a lose lose situation. He's either going to release a great album that isn't as good as GKMC, or an average/bad album. There is no middle ground, and people will be poised to declare the album "disappointing" the minute a single is released.

He does "Eminem flow" for a couple songs and all of a sudden sensible people are wondering if the entire album will be like that. Nevermind that he did an amazing feature on Fredo Santana's mixtape recently showcasing his trademark versatile flow and verse.

Lose lose situation? It's like someone mentioned his name in a much talked about verse or something that isn't a diss.

Can I get some links to his newer verses? I don't have time to follow all the release and I'm a big Kendrick fan. I am dying waiting for that verse he used in that beats commercial to get released. Such a shame if that only stays an ad.

We'll see if it's good or not I thought GKMC wasn't going to top Section 80 and he proved me wrong. All this over reaction to his "Eminem flow" is just that a over reaction. I can't wait to hear what type of sound this album will have he's gotta have a least one Dre beat on this.

I've gotta admit, i have relished the idea of Kendrick making a sellout type record for a bit now. Just so that the 'real hip hop' crowd shuts their fucking mouth about him and he can go ahead and make whatever he wants. I see why Toku gets so aggy about it. Not that I really want it to happen, I just wish ill on a certain group of annoying hip hop activists out there. Just STFU and let the music happen organically. Tired of people complaining about the 'state of hip hop'

Ha. As much as I love the Boom-Bap, I'm not really upset that music has evolved. But I love it when folks complain about how "nobody is good anymore".

IrishNinja

What are y'all gonna do if the new Kendrick album is nothing but Eminem flows?

no one is joining your camp b
let it go

Continue waiting for Jay Rock's next album.

also this i think

Guys. Remember when it was laughable to think Lupe could make a bad album?

it was never laughable tho

see jokes aside this CAC knows whats up - Jigga on auto-pilot? Midnight Marauders as one of the greats? i mean put a sega shirt on dude and we could totally kick it (no juelz santana)

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Ha. As much as I love the Boom-Bap, I'm not really upset that music has evolved. But I love it when folks complain about how "nobody is good anymore".
I have a love-hate relationship with boom bap.

When I'm into it, I can't stand listening to anything else. When I'm out of it, I can't stand listening to boom bap. Currently in the latter phase.

Tokubetsu

no one is joining your camp b
let it go

also this i think

it was never laughable tho

see jokes aside this CAC knows whats up - Jigga on auto-pilot? Midnight Marauders as one of the greats? i mean put a sega shirt on dude and we could totally kick it (no juelz santana)

You already in my camp Irish. You just don't realize it yet.

overcast

lupe was trash all the way through though. I can't stand his voice and his corny hippity hop throwback attitude, never could.
There is no doubt Lupe is/was a cornball, but reducing his music to purely throwback is unfair. Think his music was lyrically creative and fun. Food and Liquor, The Cool, and Fahrenheit 2&3 are all great. He was a great story teller and tackled some interesting topics. I was a die hard fan (obviously) and I was cringing when people gave him the "real hip-hop" label, but dude was the shit for a brief time.
But its already Y2 season

BLESS UP
I'm seeing Ye in August, I better hear some new shit.

illadelph

haha damn that Onion article is on point

PBY

Banned
There is no doubt Lupe is/was a cornball, but reducing his music to purely throwback is unfair. Think his music was lyrically creative and fun. Food and Liquor, The Cool, and Fahrenheit 2&3 are all great. He was a great story teller and tackled some interesting topics. I was a die hard fan (obviously) and I was cringing when people gave him the "real hip-hop" label, but dude was the shit for a brief time.

I'm seeing Ye in August, I better hear some new shit.

outsidelands?

Esch

Banned
I just can't stomach Lupe. I listen to him and he makes me ill. Its the voice/delivery.
see jokes aside this CAC knows whats up - Jigga on auto-pilot? Midnight Marauders as one of the greats? i mean put a sega shirt on dude and we could totally kick it (no juelz )
Nah. Hes the perfect example of an overbearing this is what hip hop should be fan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom