• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTX| Long Live the Watcher

Status
Not open for further replies.
Swizz had a very good beat on WTT (Murder For Excellence?) although I'd imagine Kanye made it better. I can definitely see Nas rocking something like that. The problem I have is that Swizz, Timbo, etc are going to start out playing beats Nas can't rap over. It's not because Nas is throwback, let's be real: Jay sounded out of his element on the majority of MCHG, and you could tell the producers were essentially challenging him with overproduced shit ("what can you do over this, son!"). ASAP Rocky, Danny Brown, etc would have killed those beats whereas Jay sounds lost.

I like No I.D. but again, the problem is beat selection. No I.D. has some dope beats like Control and his recent stuff on Vince Staples' new album. To be fair No I.D. has some very good beats on Life Is Good (Loco-Motive, Daughters, Back When, and Stay which is beautiful) so I'm not worried about him. But I want to hear Nas over beats that will translate live (Loco-Motive works live as does Daughters to a degree). IMO the goal should be songs that get the crowd hype, and have longevity. Made You Look is amazing live, for instance. Give me shit like that.

Or if it's more low tempo make it sound dope. Imagine Nas over shit like Bitch Don't Kill My Vibe (with a less bombastic chorus though).

I want:

-Q TIP
-Alchemist
-T Minus
-No I.D.
-Mike Will
-Justice League
etc

codhand

RZA Gives Raekwon 30-Day Deadline on New Wu-Tang Clan Album, Says It May Not Come Out at All

"The album is slated to come out in July," he said. "If we don't come to terms [with Raekwon], I think, within the next 30 days, then this will either be an album without Raekwon or an album that never sees the light of day. And that's a very strong potential."

"I would not want to put out a Wu-Tang album without every live member available," he said. "At the same time, I don't want the fans not to have this incredible music that we've been workin' on for the last year. So that's gonna be a tough decision, but we've got about 30 days to make that decision and come to that conclusion."

There is literally no way that Rae will make more money solo than with the Wu in a 12 month span. His demands literally make no sense. Even if he were to not get the big up front money, he'd still make a large amount on tour with the Wu.

PBY

Banned
hold the presses

I just learned Swizz Beatz named his son after Nas. I'm done.

92128__jcolesad31.jpg

I don't get Raekwon, it's not like any of his albums without RZA are classics or even that good.
You know those old sitcoms that always featured a main character that happened to be part of a hit band in the past? Usually there are a few episodes centered on that band, and they all try to get back together at first but there is one or two members who turn into a diva about it all and want more and think they're that good shit?

That's Raekwon right now. Breh needs a laugh track for his actions real talk. I mean, I understand that he feels RZA is outdated and shit and part of me agrees but he's definitely not eating on his own. Breh's delusional.

You know those old sitcoms that always featured a main character that happened to be part of a hit band in the past? Usually there are a few episodes centered on that band, and they all try to get back together at first but there is one or two members who turn into a diva about it all and want more and think they're that good shit?

That's Raekwon right now. Breh needs a laugh track for his actions real talk. I mean, I understand that he feels RZA is outdated and shit and part of me agrees but he's definitely not eating on his own. Breh's delusional.

RZA's beats sound good when others use them. But like in that interview when RZA was saying Raekwon wanted other producers but wanted RZA to call them...smh

RZA's beats sound good when others use them. But like in that interview when RZA was saying Raekwon wanted other producers but wanted RZA to call them...smh

"but RZA has relationships with them so he should call." Actually, shouldn't you be trying to build relationships with them too, Rae...?

dude is a clown.

effzee

I've been a loyal stan for years. I've never failed to mention this dude's good looks, never been disloyal, never done some shit that I wasn't expected to do. But what comes back? You think Nas will say "it's aite, I'm getting Alchemist and Sounwave to do some beats" or "Justice League always does well with me, I'll give them a call?" Nah.

This game is rigged, man. Us Nas stans are like the little bitches on the chess board.

Wait what? I was under the impression you, or any Nas stan, would want him to work some of the better mainstream producers to get him a hit?

Also there was a interview not long ago where Timbaland himself was talking about his recent struggles, mini beef with Jay Z (was it with Jay?), and then he mentions that whoever gets him to produce their stuff is going to get incredible music. Adds "that person is Nas".

Sure it doesn't fit traditionally with what Nas raps over, but at this point why not a big change? Its up to Nas to take whatever production he gets from this team and to make it into something special.

Swizz isnt really overappreciated either. Rap fans nowadays HATE his ass, this thread being perfect examples.

Rap fans online you mean. Internet rap fans hate him. Just like they hate a bunch of stuff that out in the real world isn't hated.

Swizz is hit or miss but when he hits, its amazing.

DA fuck, I don't want nas to have a hit. I just want some not bad beats. I'm pretty sure no one in here wants him over some drill shit lol

effzee

DA fuck, I don't want nas to have a hit. I just want some not bad beats. I'm pretty sure no one in here wants him over some drill shit lol

drill shit is not the only option. Jay seems to get a hit every album. Nas doesn't. Maybe Nas finally decided fuck it I want a radio hit. #1 on billboard.

I'm optimistic. More-so than Nas just working with the same old. Best would be if there was someone like Alchemist mixed in to handle the mass majority of the album but lets see how this turns out.

Wait what? I was under the impression you, or any Nas stan, would want him to work some of the better mainstream producers to get him a hit?

Also there was a interview not long ago where Timbaland himself was talking about his recent struggles, mini beef with Jay Z (was it with Jay?), and then he mentions that whoever gets him to produce their stuff is going to get incredible music. Adds "that person is Nas".

Sure it doesn't fit traditionally with what Nas raps over, but at this point why not a big change? Its up to Nas to take whatever production he gets from this team and to make it into something special.

Rap fans online you mean. Internet rap fans hate him. Just like they hate a bunch of stuff that out in the real world isn't hated.

I was partially joking with The Wire reference but still...I'm uncomfortable. Timbo has beats...but will Nas pick the good ones? Swizz is even worse.

Courage

I welcome a Nas hit so I can take a break from the fucking Beyonce/Jay singles rotation on every single radio station in this country.

DominoKid

Def Jam wont work a Nas song hard enough to make it a hit. I cant even picture Nas making a song Def Jam would like enough to work.

Esch

Banned

Internet rap fans=rap fans. The rap scene has been run by net hype for years and years now. I think you mean younger rap fans or something maybe.

Lol@ the idea of a Nas hit. Its 2014 not 1999 brehs. He should shun any and all pop shit, better for him to appease the core stanbase 100%

Detox

I'm not even saying Nas should work with these producers for hits. I want to hear Nas over the sounds that are currently being used, I know he can handle the beats he just needs to actively work with the producers to find the magical compromise between both sides sounds. I want to hear a dope beat with equally dope lyrics that's all.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Swizz had a very good beat on WTT (Murder For Excellence?) although I'd imagine Kanye made it better. I can definitely see Nas rocking something like that.
Murder from Murder to Excellence is actually one of my favourite beats in recent years. It just speaks to you.

Jay Sosa

why is Mr Lamar so angry all of sudden? Did he spend too much time with Eminem?

Can't watch cause in Canada, but Rick Rubin and Kanye West acceptance speech for Tribeca Disruptive Innovation Award.

Lucky you

Jay Sosa

The label/contract issues aside, he's basically on track to be the next 2 Chainz and Future. He's already got cosigns/hype from Drake and Kanye.

Jesus, how did that happen. Well to be fair I only heard one (maybe two) track(s) maybe he isn't as bad as I assumed. After all he's an associate of RHQ if I'm not mistaken

HiResDes

I saw that original Q tweet, but I'm not seeing how Jhene's instagram relates to it. Am I missing something?

EDIT Oh, "I wrote and sang a song...". I get it. Still, SZA > Jhene is a objective fact.

Yes...

Antwon_-_Heavy_Hearted_in_Doldrums.jpg

First Review Already Out!!!

When looking at Antwon's music it is easy to pick apart and compare certain aspects to similar trends in rap. His voice and flow share similarities with mainstream rappers such as Rick Ross or Notorious B.I.G. His sound can be easily compared to that of cloud rap, that the likes of Main Attrakoinz and Lil B have bought to the forefront of hip-hop in more recent years.

His subject matter ranges from self-loathing stories of past relationships ridden with dread, to his uncanny fondness of the female genitalia. Themes we become all too familiar with in modern hip-hop. Yet choosing from extensively eclectic characteristics, Antwon has simultaneously found himself functioning in a pretty singular sound lane. Although this has lead to almost no-one being able to challenge his lonely crown, it has yet to be revealed how far this road can take him. Heavy Hearted In Doldrums is a perfect example of an artist polishing their craft, yet with a constant sense of uncertainty lurking round every corner.

Yet this ever looming sense of uncertainty is a paramount feature of Antwon's music. In the album opener 'Rain Song' we are greeted by eerie synths and ghostly high pitched keys, as a wave of melancholy drifts in. Antwon confesses, "Them ladies say they want me, they want me, but them hoes never really know me." Yet it is the feature from fellow outcast Lil Ugly Mane which epitomizes the venerability of the track: "Money, women, and lies, running in place till he dies, he built up a wall to have somewhere to hide, but anxiety's coming from somewhere inside."

As the album continues the sorrows only get deeper. On 'Don't Care' he ditches his '90s flow, for a hazy hook. On the self-explanatorily named 'Loser' Antwon bleeds over isolated pianos, drowning 808s and screaming adlibs that float around: "Nobody gave us shit now those strangers think they know me." It becomes very evident that Antwon lives within his music, reluctant to delve into the world outside of it. This self loathing is oddly enjoyable, yet it cannot help but feel self-inflicted. Luckily Antwon comes to the same realization. Coming from the Bay area he has previously drawn on many features from the Thrashscore scene. He takes a different route this time. As we hit the half-way point of the record Antwon switches out the tape for another. As the heavy drums and techno keys ease in on 'Mr. Intercontinental' he states his intent: "Wait it's Hip Hop nigga hold on." Calling on the past time of boom bap rap he takes the approach of heavy drums mixed with a lighter tone, achieved by influences of '80s-esque techno.

You cannot help but bounce along to tracks such as 'Stop' and 'Break Yo Back', as if you were on the set of Miami Vice. He calls on fellow Greenhead affiliates Heems and Lakitus on 'KLF ELF' and the ever rising Ratking member Wiki for the track 'No Metro Nome'. Surrounding himself with fellow rhymers sparks a reaction from Antwon, as his wordplay and flow step up a notch. We are left with a very different taste in our mouths, in contrast to the first half of the album.

There is a clear distinction within this record from the self-crucifying beginning to the celebratory ending. This could be jarring for some, yet Antwon's music has always been a mismatch, of the best kind. While this album may not answer many questions or push too many boundaries, it doesn't really need to. As the album comes to an end the unease yet again creeps in, but so does the underlining feeling that this what separates Antwon from the rest. He shows no signs of slowing down but he cannot seem to see the brick wall ahead of him. He is seemingly unaware that it even exists. If anything, on Heavy Hearted in Doldrums, it is Antwon's disregard and unknowingness that makes the ride so engaging. He refuses to look at what is coming towards him and it's thrilling to watch him dodge the traffic. Rating: 8/10

Chris Travis - Water on the Dash (FIRE!)

Little Pain - Tommy Strawn (Video)

Flatbush Zombies - My Team Supreme 2.0 (Video)

Jimmy Johnson - Sun Goes Down (Video) - TOO CVLT, NEW JAM

And lastly, Bine's next level Birthday Sex Bootleg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom