• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTX| Long Live the Watcher

Status
Not open for further replies.
Without RZA, there is no Wu-Tang album. And that has nothing to do with his creative capacity either. Without the RZA they are all lost kittens who won't come together to get this money.

I really don't buy that, at all. You're going to tell me that Alchemist couldn't do a Wu album by getting a few in the studio, and having the rest email verses?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I really don't buy that, at all. You're going to tell me that Alchemist couldn't do a Wu album by getting a few in the studio, and having the rest email verses?
Absolutely not. Half wouldn't show up, half wouldn't sanction it because it isn't RZA. RZA is what links their relationships, despite quabbles between members. I don't think any other person period has the capacity to at least temporarily mend those relationships. RZA has been pushing for this shit for years, no one is more qualified to exec produce.

Esch

Banned

Jump in breghs

iiWxh60kyeVuV.gif

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
G Count (of L.E.P. Bogus Boys) – Chi-Raq Freestyle. Game diss. Also at the link is a video of Lil Durk talking about the Tyga beef and his response w/Bump J which is coming.

2 Chainz - Trap Back video. Fuck MTV.

Lil Durk - Party ft. Young Thug (prod Young Chop)

beat seems a bit adventurous for Chop. Feel like it kinda feeds off the bass music people who fed off trap producers; this could pass for a TNGHT track with the way it's structured and how heavy the chorus hits
Kind of fucks with this. Will need CDQ. Sounds like Keef.

I still can't believe I joined Plug for about 40 minutes and never got to play a song before everyone was bouncing lol.

Des anything new I should listen to in the vein of The Weeknd or that Chester Watson you recommended from your quarter rap up thread? Basically something chill

HiResDes

Cilvia Demo...*Shrugs* I don't really fuck with The Weeknd super heavy anymore, but they're plenty of songstresses filling that gap for me instead

iavi

I can't fuck with the Weeknd as much as I used to either. That Or Nah remix was my tipping point. Ain't tryna hear Abel on that tip at all.

Esch

Banned
I can't fuck with the Weeknd as much as I used to either. That Or Nah remix was my tipping point. Ain't tryna hear Abel on that tip at all.

it's good. you guys were stanning his shit way too hard. i talked with PD about this subject on the bore and dude said HoB is one of the 10 best records of the last decade. I don't even know man. It's honestly better now that his buzz has chilled.

HiResDes

Cilvia Demo is probably the best chill rap record released this year forreal. Antwon's latest is pretty chill too though overall. And Retro Hash is kind of laid back as well.

Yea I enjoyed Cilvia Demo.
That Chester Watson was good though I was thinking something more in that direction.

Yeah The Weeknd has been a bit over the place but based on it seeming he'll be hooking up with his older producers on his next project there is cause for optimism.
The mixtapes still get almost daily play from me to be totally honest.

Bias aside Esch HoB is pretty great.

Try this.

I still need to get around and so my Bandcamp shopping spree. Have so many albums that I need to buy.

Thanks

edit: Retro Hash was a nice surprise
and Antwon who?

edit2: CRS the production on that first song sounds like The xx almost.

HiResDes

Yea I enjoyed Cilvia Demo.
That Chester Watson was good though I was thinking something more in that direction.

Yeah The Weeknd has been a bit over the place but based on it seeming he'll be hooking up with his older producers on his next project there is cause for optimism.
The mixtapes still get almost daily play from me to be totally honest.

Bias aside Esch HoB is pretty great.

Thanks

edit: Retro Hash was a nice surprise
and Antwon who?

edit2: CRS the production on that first song sounds like The xx almost.
You ever listen to Ethereal? https://supernatural.bandcamp.com/album/e

Khalil Nova is another dope guy to check out

I'll check em both out, thanks. And which Antwon release were you talking about?

edit: When you guys put Ocean above I hope you're not talking about Nostalgia, Ultra

big ander

Was never able to go through a whole album from Abel. All the songs sound the same imo. All the same tone and feeling.

Frank Ocean >>

Oh agree, hardly close actually. Can't wait for whatever Frank has next. anyone gone through his entire Lonny Breaux mixtape? I've had it sitting here for a while but whenever I think about checking it out I head for one of the two albums I know is fantastic instead

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Oh agree, hardly close actually. Can't wait for whatever Frank has next. anyone gone through his entire Lonny Breaux mixtape? I've had it sitting here for a while but whenever I think about checking it out I head for one of the two albums I know is fantastic instead
Lonny Breaux is pretty inconsistent, a lot of the songs are more unfinished than others. TBH I've never gone back to anything on it ever, but you might find something that sticks.

As far as Ocean goes, I keep Nostalgia, Ultra sync'd to my phone but nothing more. He better be taking this time out right now to come up with something better than channel.Borange.

Weeknd 4/4. 5/5 if you include his best album, Balloons of Haus.

Esch

Banned
Was never able to go through a whole album from Abel. All the songs sound the same imo. All the same tone and feeling.

Frank Ocean >>
Damn. I agree with you man. Frank is a far superior lyricist too as far as subjects addressed, that was the thing I loved about Nostalgia Ultra, I got various bits of different things here and there as I went through it.

He needs to nut up and pay for them samples, because Channel Orange sucked.

DominoKid

If Frank could make a whole album as developed as Pyramids then I'll be impressed. Too much of his stuff sounds like its about 65% done.

The Weeknd is way better even with his limited subject matter. It's not even close really.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
If Frank could make a whole album as developed as Pyramids then I'll be impressed. Too much of his stuff sounds like its about 65% done.
Pyramids is just.. a journey. He's an amazingly talented songwriter but dude is just way too inconsistent in actual output.

Esch

Banned
I think I also prefer Frank's voice. He sounds relatively distinctive, whereas when I listen to Weeknd I just think Michael Jackson.

Detox

Gangsta Gibbs with his manicured nails showing Snowman Pacino the utmost of respect in his breakfast club interview.

Jay Sosa

The Weeknd is way better even with his limited subject matter. It's not even close really.

I know I'm in the minority but I absolutely love Channel Orange, to me it's one of the greatest records in the last few years. Still listen to it almost every day.. The Weeknd is a bit of a one hit wonder to me (well..one album wonder) HOB was amazing, still is, but everything after that mediocre or downright bad. He does have a great voice though.

So to me it's completely the other way around.

overcast

I'll check em both out, thanks. And which Antwon release were you talking about?
Heavy Hearted In Doldrums

I might prefer Nostalgia over HOB, but they're very close. They are both great for different moods though. Unfortunately the album debuts were disappointing, regardless I am really looking forward to what Frank drops next, on the other hand I feel satisfied and done with Abel.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I like almost everything The Weeknd's done so far, he's a talented dude, but yeah he needs to either take a break or try something new. I can only listen to so many angsty, melodramatic, six minute long songs with some dude warbling about drugs and pussy.

I'm definitely on the hype train for the next Frank Ocean project, and I fuckin loved the shit out of Channel Orange. It's a modern classic as far as I'm concerned. Second best R&B album since Love Hate.

Esch

Banned
Its not that Channel Orange is terrible. Its that the instrumentation is dry and the nascent artistic vision and song concepts we saw on Nostalgia were only there in flashes. Its really an average album. Just like Thursday.

Thursday is significantly better than Channel Orange. I remember Thursday being a bit jarring because the first track was arguably his weakest track to that point. But after that track it's smooth sailing.

Channel Orange is basically a boring pop album. It's the album Pharell wishes he could make.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom