• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTX| Long Live the Watcher

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
Game has a better discography than 50 Cent for sure

yeah he does. Game might be a bipolar douche but he can rap and he has dropped some great albums. Its just his personality is so unappealing that he doesn't have a fan base to champion his work like it deserves.

On the flip I'm not saying 50 is a slouch but besides grodt he has nothing nearly as good as the Documentary or Jesus Piece. Shit Jesus Piece was a top 10 album in a great year for rap albums......even the throwaways were great tracks.

Also the Doctor's Advocate was pretty damn good as well.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Game's only bad album is LAX. He has a stellar record and is one of the most versatile and talented rappers that has been able to maintain relevancy.

IrishNinja

id have to think a bit about 50 vs Game discography...their first albums are both classics by me, but yeah fif got a mixtape too. Jesus Piece was better than i went in expecting too.

what the blue hell is this?

Timbo was not the right person for this. Should've been Pharrell.
Then again MJ's camp never fucked with Pharrell. Them folks passed up on U Don't Have To Call and a bunch of tracks on Justified for fucks sake.

Justified is an MJ album no doubt...ill say this for the track though, some of the remix stuff (Blood on the dance floor album, etc) and later had a timbo vibe, so it's not as off-putting for me, but...then again none of that stuff was what he's remembered for anyway.

Esch

Banned
Yeaahh im gonna chalk this one up to me not getting it on that Schoolboy Q tip. Game is a technically capable rapper and picks ok beats but his shit is bland as hell to me, even in relation to a guy like 50. Jesus Piece was aight, some dope songs but a lot of forgettable shit too.
Game's only bad album is LAX. He has a stellar record and is one of the most versatile and talented rappers that has been able to maintain relevancy.
RED album is straight bukkake status.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
It just occurred to me that Game has more studio albums out than 50 whaaaaaaaat.

Both have a classic (GRoDT, Documentary), a follow up that carried the momentum amazingly well yet evolved their sound (Massacre, DA) a decent-but-not-as-great-as-previous albums attempt (Curtis, RED) and a return-to-form sort of album that carries their strengths but only really appeals to their core and didn't do much for them (BISD, Jesus Piece).

I just like Game more, I think I'd edge it to him since I like Documentary over GRoDT, but a lot of the above comparisons are pretty equal, except for the fact that Game also has LAX which I wouldn't say compares to any of those projects but still has jams like Angel and Dope Boys.

Being a Game fan is terrible, there's an endless cycle of him putting out stuff that is heat rocks and then a bunch of flavour of the month stuff only to drop heat rocks again, etc.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
nah - Massacre was booty. it was a huge drop off from GRODT and felt like a lazy copy of that formula, with one of the weakest diss tracks tacked on.
Are you gonna say it didn't carry his momentum? Massacre solidified 50 and Hate It Or Love It was one of the biggest songs in the world for quite some time. Quality is subjective, you can pick whichever one of those you like better.

The album didn't really sound like GRoDT at all or follow a similar format. Not sure I get where you're coming from.

So yall gonna sleep on Power of the Dollar and Guess Who's Back? like that? I dont even like fif like that man lmao
I guess you can finagle it into counting. It never officially got released though, right? I guess it's an important part of his career.

Haven't listened to it though.

Esch

Banned
If weve finagled shit like Lost Tapes into counting, why not those two? You should definitely give PotD a listen.

Massarce was dope to me fuck the critics shit had everything on there gangsta 50,club shit,street shit, great beats, hit singles, and tracks for the women.

I think I'd take Game's discog ahead of 50 but just barely. It's easier to cast 50 to the side since he hasn't done anything worthwhile in a pretty long time.

Massacre solidified 50 and Hate It Or Love It was one of the biggest songs in the world for quite some time. Quality is subjective, you can pick whichever one of those you like better.

Hate or Love It was on Game's album 2 months before 50 put the remix on his. But I guess it's essentially a 50 song featuring Game.

Massacre is dope, but dudes be fronting on Jesus Piece, but then again I thought OKE was straight so what do I know

Jesus Piece restored my like for Game I though RED was ight and LAX was trash outside a couple of songs. I must have played Jesus Piece for at least six months in car shit is pure flames.

DominoKid

Noz clowns the XXL 2014 Freshman

Best part is his Troy Ave opinion:

Troy Ave
Bio: New York City is the original birthplace of hip hop and rap music.
Hometown: Brooklyn, NY
Label: Anyone who needs to make a Youtube video about how they aren’t signed to Def Jam is probably signed to Def Jam.
Predecessor: Lord Jamar
Twitter Followers: 40.5k
Highest Charting Single: N/A
Skills: 6/10 He can rap I guess.
Creativity: 3/10 Dude is riding in that Freddie Gibbs lane of token boom bap conservative neanderthal talking head, and with that comes both a narrowness of creative vision and a general sour grapes attitude that will only continue to seep into his middling music. Admittedly i was pretty funny that time he said “Kendrick wears his shorts above his knees” but only until you remember that Kendrick is arguably the greatest rapper of his generation and Troy is a guy who needed to buy a Tony Yayo verse to get radio spins in his own city.
Marketability: 2/10 ed-lover-cmon-son.gif
Sustainability: 6/10 He has a long career ahead of him, one full of desperate Hot 97 bids by way of Jeremih collabs and/or infinite Vlad TV interviews about how all of the young people are faggots.

Esch

Banned
on isaiah rashad

Skills: 6/10 Potentially a very good rapper and an attentive enough writer but he’s currently trapped inside a self made prison of Kendrickisms and wordy cipher rat gibberish like “as the verbal appears its reflecting my perspective.” Who could’ve guessed that Canibus would be a more influential rapper than Jay-Z in 2014?
jyzrlD3zuQBA4.png

Esch

Banned
LMAO dude I was just coming here to quote that exact section. Great minds breh.

Hilarious, and true. Sometimes Soulo kinda goes into that realm of shit too, lmao.

But really, this is the most damning thing in there because it's so spot on and true:

On Chance the rapper
Marketability: 6/10 His success has been pre-ordained by tastemakers in much the same way that Odd Future’s was. This is to say that a bunch of white critics and and armchair A&Rs and Reddit users who all discovered rap in 2006 and never listen to the radio are certain that he’s going to be bigger than Drake and U2.
Ouch.

Tokubetsu

I liked this one too:
Jon Connor
Bio: The internet has long suggest that XXL is and always has been nothing more than a promotional front for the Aftermath/Interscope empire and I’ve often tried to dispute that tin foil hat shit but damn they really aren’t helping my case with this selection.

Esch

Banned
I am happy you said Soulo and not flab
Theres no point in repeating myself lol

Yo some of the stuff he said about Ty dolla sign was hilarious too on the low, especially re: DJ Mustard and people like Solange and Kelis somehow staying critically relevant. I think of the latter two like Janelle Monae. They make music that is stylistically and instrumentally 'classy' music that strays away from being too 'dumb' like a Beyonce or Rihanna but really is basically the same shit

DominoKid

I liked this one too:

yeah they could try to be a little less obvious. people aint feeling Jon Connor enough for him to deserve to be on this list.

Theres no point in repeating myself lol

Yo some of the stuff he said about Ty dolla sign was hilarious too on the low, especially re: DJ Mustard and people like Solange and Kelis somehow staying critically relevant. I think of the latter two like Janelle Monae. They make music that is stylistically and instrumentally 'classy' music that strays away from being too 'dumb' like a Beyonce or Rihanna but really is basically the same shit

i give Janelle Monae and Kelis a little more credit than Solange cause she'd be flipping patties at McDonalds if she had a different last name.

Detox

This could be the payday that frees Dre from the pressure of harming the brand. He'll make off with cash and shares and I doubt he will care as much about the headphones image in the future. If the deal goes through I expect apple to market it more as beats and less as beats by dre. Detox will finally be released.

This could be the payday that frees Dre from the pressure of harming the brand. He'll make off with cash and shares and I doubt he will care as much about the headphones image in the future. If the deal goes through I expect apple to market it more as beats and less as beats by dre. Detox will finally be released.

We can dream man

overcast

Dre winning the billionaire race.

How did I not see that guy tweet about the pacers locker room being bad cause they were listening to a song by Game and TIGER.

IrishNinja

damn, Dre getting there before Puff and Jigga...i don't think anyone called that. goddamn - glad to see an OG at the top though, any doubts about him being done with music long ago should be long gone

Detox

50 owns the manufacturing plant for his own audio business.

And they just secured exclusive rights to be audio suppliers for all Disney products.
Didn't know 50 was hustling like that. Thought he was just the face of the brand, guess it makes more sense that he stuck with it instead bowing to label pressure.

Redman - Dunfiato

Red showing why he is one of the best to do it. Dope as fuck.

Esch

Banned
damn, Dre getting there before Puff and Jigga...i don't think anyone called that. goddamn - glad to see an OG at the top though, any doubts about him being done with music long ago should be long gone

I did... Dude had the strongest brand out of all three. Hov still has his hands in the music game in no small manner. He still pays attention to it, tours a lot, records music, signs dudes etc. Plus the products he endorses are all high end luxury shit like D'Usse with minimal chance of mass market penetration. He's thrown his aesthetic lot in with luxe because he's always been about that and prefers it. But meanwhile Puff and Dre threw music in the bushes for real years ago and have been caking off wide distribution consumer products that hit a large audience; Ciroc, Proactiv... And the cream of all three, Beats... Which is the perfect Apple-esque mediocre product inflated for a price that people will pay mad money for because they think they're getting piff. Or people who just want what's hot and to be on it, which is a lot of people. Puff should catch up soon enough with something, he's smart. Hov will be the last; he started last in the exec game and the strategies he's taking to get there are tougher and less immediately profitable. Not to mention as the most prominent musician/figure he's under the most scrutiny.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom