• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTX| Long Live the Watcher

Status
Not open for further replies.

beanman25

How do you guys feel about the new Slaughterhouse song SayDatThen?

Just heard it for the first time today, and really enjoy it. Can't wait for the mixtape and new album!

HiResDes

D50RCr1.jpg

Every Deniro project is like 15 songs that try to sound, talk about and feel like the exact same thing, and then one song that actually succeeds.

Esch mentioned how artists owe it to themselves to get out and experience more of the world after they start getting some money, no one could benefit more from that than Deniro given his microscopic reference pool and lack of beat variation:

Free Tune
KOBK the Murda Game

My baby momma's a bitch
All of my immediate male family members are incarcerated
Gotta get paper to get my mom out the hood
Become a better father than my own

Put that over some cloud synths and an Imogen Heap sample and you pretty much have his entire discography.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
so that new roots album... how inconsistent can a rap act continue to be? let's watch The Roots experiment this exciting concept for years and years.

Esch

Banned
so that new roots album... how inconsistent can a rap act continue to be? let's watch The Roots experiment this exciting concept for years and years.

It's The Roots man. They have no cultural pressure on them to succeed and be good or whatever, no expectations. Who's gonna badmouth The Roots?

Plus critics always give their type of music a pass.

JohnDoe

Banned
It's The Roots man. They have no cultural pressure on them to succeed and be good or whatever, no expectations. Who's gonna badmouth The Roots?

Yep, Questlove essentially just wants his bands metascore to stay at 80 at this point.

PlayDat

I was mad depressed when I started listening to Farrar so I was never able to give his music a fair assessment. Even now when I hear his voice it kind of takes me back. I can only hope ya'll are right so I know I'm not missing out on too much.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Farrar is good, he works with some good producers but his flow and subject matter can get a little boring/repetitive.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Maybe repetitive is the wrong word but he's kinda monotone, as in lacking energy and dynamism. I still appreciate his shit, tho.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Definitely disagree. Deniro Farrar is easily Curren$y tier when it comes to repetitive shit. The way he raps puts significant emphasis on content, which is damn near the same shit over and over again. It really does sound like he's trying to recreate the same feel over and over; ear for beats and talent notwithstanding. After both Patriarchs, I'm dreading listening to another full project out of him.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Gibbs does the same sometimes introspective gangsta shit but I feel like he's got a lot more energy and aggression in his flow. He can carry a track while I feel like Ferrar is usually just supplementing the beat.

I was mad depressed when I started listening to Farrar so I was never able to give his music a fair assessment. Even now when I hear his voice it kind of takes me back. I can only hope ya'll are right so I know I'm not missing out on too much.

I should be clear, I enjoy duke's music; he's definitely worth a listen because when he's on, he's on, but listening to a full LP from him gets tedious.

But it's often average to ordinary praise. They collect 7s like you on Tinder.

I fux with The Roots but musically they haven't really done anything truly impressive since Game Theory. How I Got Over is really good but it's like prototypical Roots. Simple instrumentation and dope Black Thought output.

Esch

Banned
But it's often average to ordinary praise. They collect 7s like you on Tinder.

I fux with The Roots but musically they haven't really done anything truly impressive since Game Theory. How I Got Over is really good but it's like prototypical Roots. Simple instrumentation and dope Black Thought output.
At least I can take my 7s out to a bar without having to order her a fake from China or pick them up from gym class
troll.png
, but thats not the issue here. The Roots are making 6 out of 10 music. Maybe the worst thing you can do as an artist is to tread water sonically (especially when youre as instrument minded as an artist like The Roots), because you're basically just doing the same shit you did before but worse as you run out of music in that style. Its probably better to reach for the sun and get burned imo.

At least I can take my 7s out to a bar without having to order her a fake from China or pick them up from gym class
troll.png
, but thats not the issue here. The Roots are making 6 out of 10 music. Maybe the worst thing you can do as an artist is to tread water sonically (especially when youre as instrument minded as an artist like The Roots), because you're basically just doing the same shit you did before but worse as you run out of music in that style. Its probably better to reach for the sun and get burned imo.

It's probably why they've been doing concept albums lately. undun is probably the least critically praised album that has received critical praise. Everything thinks it's good, everyone wants to cosign the message...but it's just so...soulless and samey. I remember Krit's verse having more of an emotional impact than just about everything Black Thought said. He's a great lyricist, a great rapper etc but he just comes off like a spectator to me. I never get the impression I'm getting real emotions or feelings from him, it's just "spit out a dope verse."

And then Kendrick dropped GKMC, which has a very similar narrative, and crushed the building. I remember Questlove sounding somewhat salty about that on twitter but I don't feel like digging up the tweets. Since then he has called GKMC an amazing album.

Esch

Banned
I remember Krit's verse having more of an emotional impact than just about everything Black Thought said. He's a great lyricist, a great rapper etc but he just comes off like a spectator to me. I never get the impression I'm getting real emotions or feelings from him, it's just "spit out a dope verse."
This is one of the reasons why I balk at people putting him in high tiers on GOAT lists. Super dope and consistent rapper, but how hard does it hit and how consistently? Can you bust off even like 10-15 Thought quotables? Dude just isnt that evocative for me.

I really love The Roots like you wouldn't believe but my point is 'progressive/alt' hip hop will usually cop average to high scores unless its terrible. Even id the shit is super boring and repetitive or uninspired.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I'm glad y'all are finally coming around to how mediocre the last few Roots projects have been. I don't even think they're deserving of the critical praise; it just seems they have grandfathered praise from their time in the limelight and critics seem to be more willing to go softer on them because they are in the sidelines now. Bonus points for categorizing your work as a concept album.

We're "supposed" to like The Roots, they're well respected and Questlove is a taste gatekeeper. Speaking of Questlove, I gotta wonder what goes through his mind when he's jamming with the fellas and the keyboard n guitarist are basically just playing 4 chords.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom