• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTX| Long Live the Watcher

Status
Not open for further replies.

HiResDes

Drinking a beer with my dad on my 21st, solid.

Gonna listen to Illmatic and chill before grabbing pizza with friends and doing HW.

If you just turned 21 you need to go to a bar or club, even if that ain't your thing. Go finish your HW now and rage harder than you ever have before tonight. Do you realize how much booty you can get just from telling girls you turned 21 tonight?

Esch

Banned
If you just turned 21 you need to go to a bar or club, even if that ain't your thing. Go finish your HW now and rage harder than you ever have before tonight. Do you realize how much booty you can get just from telling girls you turned 21 tonight?

happy birthday though. typical Gnaauze stan sitting around listening to old albums when you should be out having fun

Drinking a beer with my dad on my 21st, solid.

Gonna listen to Illmatic and chill before grabbing pizza with friends and doing HW.

Oh shit I'm older than you? Little niglet
kttcolitakedat
kttcolitakedat
kttcolitakedat

Happy birthday tho

Esch

Banned
jbkWquQQu4uF8z.png
he didn't have to call him out on his papier-mâché skintone though

Oh my god this is terrible. Can somebody please... find Toku get a hold of this motherfucker so I can make SENSE of this. Where is Toku?

overcast

Thanks a lot guys, I appreciate it. I'm going to hit the bar/club scene in SD on Saturday and tell people it's my 21st celebration. Nobody can go with me tonight anyway.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Happy Birthday overcast!

In other news, this Metallic Butterfly transitioned too well into this RZA EP.
Both are pretty good, but I'm having trouble associating RZA's EP with RZA

And the 2 Chainz EP is okay, kind of forgettable. Last two songs are probably the best.

This is pretty powerful. Don't like Gambino's music much, but he gets too much shit for no real reason. Whole read was pretty good.

Thanks a lot guys, I appreciate it. I'm going to hit the bar/club scene in SD on Saturday and tell people it's my 21st celebration. Nobody can go with me tonight anyway.

Just make sure you don't fuck with anyone in PB. Over half that area is groups of military dudes looking to start shit. Always some dumb college dudes getting stomped out over some petty shit because they didn't realize PB is a military hot spot.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Just make sure you don't fuck with anyone in PB. Over half that area is groups of military dudes looking to start shit. Always some dumb college dudes getting stomped out over some petty shit because they didn't realize PB is a military hot spot.

True story.

Pacific Beach is full of drunk Marines trying to start shit at any moment possible. Almost happened to me, and an ex roommate of mine got his jaw broken and was drinking through a straw for a few months. It was some dumb club fight, but if you get into it with about 3 Marines and you're by yourself, Godspeed. My roommate was a big dude, but still couldn't handle it.

That's why I always say LA has a better party scene than Deygo. In SD you have way to many military personal drunk and ready to start shit at any given moment plus most of the cops in SD are former military so they'll always back the military personal in police reports. Just from my experience partying in both cities, anyway.

That's why I always say LA has a better party scene than Deygo. In SD you have way to many military personal drunk and ready to start shit at any given moment plus most of the cops in SD are former military so they'll always back the military personal in police reports. Just from my experience partying in both cities, anyway.

No, you nailed it. The SD club spots can get real violent once marines and naval personnel start coming through, and they aren't that good to begin with. There's nothing in the city that even approaches Low End, Control, Booty LA, Exchange, etc that you can just hit up any night in LA. Or regular clubs in LA for that matter.

But if you're just out to go drinking, watch a game, and bullshit for a few hours after, SD probably wins out. Gaslamp is great just to drink and eat and wander on the weekends. Really depends on what vibe you want.

Tokubetsu

Real post. I think comparing Drake and Donal Glover on the whole tv apperances into rap crowd cash in thing is kind wrong. Since no one in a pop culture sense really gave a shit about Degrassi until after Drake came out rapping. Meanwhile DG had the derrick comedy videos popping and Community had just started going. The Derrick Comedy videos have millions of views on yt each, he's the only black member. Community was also a show on a major AMERICAN television network that had 30 Rock (Which DG also started writing for a bit) and shows like Parks and Recs slotted around it.

Then you get to the whole rapping thing. Go back to those early CG releases and tell me they don't almost work as some sort of Derrick Comedy side project. There was a lot of humor and inherent silliness to that first mixtape. All of which DG abandoned for middle class nigga struggle raps.

People hate on CG not because he makes some kinda middle class black rap music, but because he cashed in all his comedy/acting coins in for a boring rap career.

Side Note: It's also a bit weird to me that dudes like this live for acceptance from the "other side" while at the same time they try to clown it and act all condescending. Y'all remember that Chief Keef video with Donald right? Where he was lowkey being an awkward idiot? Yeah. Whatever/

Esch

Banned
My man, are you telling a bunch of 18-25 year olds nobody cared about Degrassi? Come on. That might be true for old heads but... I didn't even have cable till I was like 13 and people were on that shit. That's real tv too.

I think people hate CG a lot because at the end of the day he's just kinda garbage.

Tokubetsu

My man, are you telling a bunch of 18-25 year olds nobody cared about Degrassi? Come on. That might be true for old heads but... I didn't even have cable till I was like 13 and people were on that shit. That's real tv too.

I think people hate CG a lot because at the end of the day he's just kinda garbage.

The only person I know who checked for Degrassi was a close friend of my gf at the time (09) but she was Canadian, back and forth between there and Miami because of her boyfriend.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
All of my cousins in America watched Degrassi when they were younger. I was under the impression it was a pretty big cultural thing, and even bigger in the US than it is up here.

Gambino just doesn't excel at anything. He's the bastard child of Kanye, Drake and Wayne, but can't do anything that makes any of those three artists exceptional. He hasn't found his lane, and will continue to live in their shadow and whatever starved fans he can leech from their fanbases. There's no identity.

I think his weirdo persona and him easily getting off on just doing music "for fun" takes him a lot further than his actual music does. I don't think it's hate even, I've given him a fair shake between releases, and though he has improved, I feel like I've already given him more chances and time than his output warrants.

Tokubetsu

I think his weirdo persona and him easily getting off on just doing music "for fun" takes him a lot further than his actual music does.

Wholeheartedly agree and I think this is what I was trying to write down to. He needs to get over obsessing about what every other black person things of him compared to other popular/big black people.

All this hate for him makes me want to embrace childish gambino as a fan, but I can't get myself to enjoy that trash music

But I think that interview he did with keef was pretty hilarious

overcast

Because the Internet was a pretty solid project. He's not particularly great, but the hate he gets is pretty ridiculous. Despite Camp being pretty lame looking back.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
All this hate for him makes me want to embrace childish gambino as a fan, but I can't get myself to enjoy that trash music

But I think that interview he did with keef was pretty hilarious
I don't have anything against him as a person, but I just can't listen to his music. I've tried. Just too corny, and this is coming from someone who listens to Drake.

As a person he's probably one of the best in the rap game tbh. Just seems like a good dude in general so yeah I agree with you, his music is the culprit in my disgust

Esch

Banned
Childish Gambino made the conscious decision to imitate the delivery and style of the rapper I've hated on the most (Wayne), but with none of the swagger, a worse flow, and less impressive punchlines. Listening to his voice whine about being a nerd and asian pussy for 45 minutes sounds like hell. If I was in some PRC top secret prison and they put the choice of listening to Camp on repeat or enduring water torture for a week I'd take the latter.

big ander

Yeah I don't think I can say I hate CG just by virtue of how fucking much I listened to Culdesac and the I Am Just A Rapper tapes and EP. He was pretty much all I listened to from spring 2010 to spring 2011. Then as singles started coming out for Camp I turned on him. always heard the cheese in his raps but where I liked it on the previous stuff, on Camp it irked me. And I thought the full album was pretty garbage. From there the past albums were poisoned along with all future ones, and I can't listen to 90% of his music now (despite BTI at least trying to be interesting and completely failing). The other 10% I can listen to the way I might nowadays hear a goddamn Yellowcard or Switchfoot song and think back to when I was 13. Reminds me of a specific time in my life and is definitely listenable, but it's something I'm not about anymore.

I will say though, that article has a point about white critics. I feel like they've been the most vocal about how corny CG is. However: some white critics I like that laugh at CG are also the ones saying that dudes like Thug and Durk and Keef and so on should be listened to by more white rap fans. They're calling out white people who listen solely to corny CG because they believe these other artists deserve more attention. which is maybe worth something? But I bet it'd be most constructive to just up those rappers without constantly putting down another perspective. I dunno.

Cheddahz

Banned
I don't hate Childish Gambino's music, but it's not like I'm going to chose to listen to it (it's more like "filler background music at a party that I show up to" music for me)

Wholeheartedly agree and I think this is what I was trying to write down to. He needs to get over obsessing about what every other black person things of him compared to other popular/big black people.

First, I want to say that his issue isn't how he's compared to other popular/big/famous black people but how he's compared to the average black person in general by average black people. His Camp/Culdesac era lyrics make it pretty clear that he was one of those kids who felt like he was pushed inbetween. His personality making him seem "not black" to the black folks he was around but his appearance making him black to everyone else. And he's still treated that way, as was pointed out in that piece. The Weeknd thinking of him as not really being black but he still gets that black treatment by the border patrol. Experiencing that your whole life would make that shit a pretty deep issue, so just getting over it, isn't likely to happen. I imagine someone like Drake probably had a similar situation growing up but the difference between the two is that Drake goes the route of playing the persona that he wants to be percieved as in his music, while Donald exaggerates his natural personality in his music.

Childish Gambino made the conscious decision to imitate the delivery and style of the rapper I've hated on the most (Wayne), but with none of the swagger, a worse flow, and less impressive punchlines. Listening to his voice whine about being a nerd and asian pussy for 45 minutes sounds like hell. If I was in some PRC top secret prison and they put the choice of listening to Camp on repeat or enduring water torture for a week I'd take the latter.

As far as I can tell, he started taking rap a more seriously later in his life, so his influences were still heavily projected in his own music, whereas most rap artists have been rapping seriously since they were kids so by the time they get noticed their style has branched out more from their early inspiration. I figure that's why there's not really a consistent style shown by Gambino over the course of his albums as he's still very much developing it. That and his being a creative moreso than just a worker means he wants to experiment and change more than most.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Every time I listen to a Gambino song, I feel like he just sat down one day and thought to himself "I'm going to write a rap today," and then proceeded to write the lyrics. It's not even cheese, it feels transparent. I feel like I'm just getting raps and nothing more, but I guess that's the allure of him for people who like him; he's just a cool guy that raps, so hey I'll check it out. Okay this isn't terrible, I guess this is pretty cool for a cool guy.

Esch

Banned
I will say though, that article has a point about white critics. I feel like they've been the most vocal about how corny CG is. However: some white critics I like that laugh at CG are also the ones saying that dudes like Thug and Durk and Keef and so on should be listened to by more white rap fans. They're calling out white people who listen solely to corny CG because they believe these other artists deserve more attention. which is maybe worth something? But I bet it'd be most constructive to just up those rappers without constantly putting down another perspective. I dunno.
Lol, it's kind of like a subtle version of being told "you don't act very (your non white ethnicity here)". I've noticed that publications like Noisey only fuck with like.... r/music type rap and then drill shit. They would never give a J.Cole dap like that if he was some type of soundcloud artist instead of the 6 figure selling rapper he is today.

And they really fucking love Katie Got Bandz for some reason.

DominoKid

i support this but i'm a hater.

Childish Gambino made the conscious decision to imitate the delivery and style of the rapper I've hated on the most (Wayne), but with none of the swagger, a worse flow, and less impressive punchlines. Listening to his voice whine about being a nerd and asian pussy for 45 minutes sounds like hell.

On the real, people don't respect Donald Glover because he sounds like a cultural tourist. Whenever I hear him I can just imagine him sitting around with his valley friends playing guitar and drinking chai tea with Garden State on mute in the background, when they start rapping for fun and Donald says "hey, maybe I could make a mixtape or something."

Real talk if I ever saw him I'd look him in the eye and ask him why does he talk white. Not because I believe it - yall know I hate that stereotype - but because I know it would crush his soul.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Y'all really pay attention to the race of critics in hip-hop? Or are you just talking about critical fans? Cause I would imagine white people would make up the majority of Gambino's fanbase.

Esch

Banned
Y'all really pay attention to the race of critics in hip-hop?

Only if the critic extends his comments past musical characteristics and the content of the piece / performance being reviewed and makes broader statements about culture.

On the real, people don't respect Donald Glover because he sounds like a cultural tourist. Whenever I hear him I can just imagine him sitting around with his valley friends playing guitar and drinking chai tea with Garden State on mute in the background, when they start rapping for fun and Donald says "hey, maybe I could make a mixtape or something."

Real talk if I ever saw him I'd look him in the eye and ask him why does he talk white. Not because I believe it - yall know I hate that stereotype - but because I know it would crush his soul.

They had him play a black conservative on Girls. :deadmanny:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom