• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTX| Long Live the Watcher

Status
Not open for further replies.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I think most people would have been okay with an exciting Q album. But bros, this shit is dull as tepid dishwater. Where is the exciting Figg type songs? Where is the crazy Druggies type back and forth?

Why is a Q album less exciting than an album by a rapper who wants to be a fashion model and calls himself pretty? Q talks about being hungry and shit. This is not the album of a man who is hungry. This is some Curtis Jackson after Vitamin Water lazy ass effort. None of his songs really feel like he has any energy or ounce of give a shit.

vgJames

Banned
The Game cancelled the gig at my local for the second time today. The first time he said he wanted to attend Paul Walker's funeral and this time he missed his flight. Get your shit together man.

Shit I missed The Weeknd discussion?
His part on Or Nah is sex music.
Drunk in Love is great.

Kiss Land was definitely a step down from the mixtapes; good songs just not at the amazing level we're used to. Still some standouts though, Adaptation, Kiss Land, The Town,
Tears in the Rain
Biggest flaw was the production though.
However, I'm still hyped as fuck since it looks like he's going to be working with Doc and Illangelo again.

Hype beast we know about ya
But srs

Esch

Banned
Chief Keef - Save Me

flabbynsick.png

Tracklist for Pharoahe Monch's PTSD

1.) “The Recollection Facility” (produced by Pharoahe Monch)
2.) “Times2” (produced by Marco Polo)
3.) “Losing My Mind” featuring deNaUn (produced by Jesse West)
4.) “Heroin Addict” (produced by Pharoahe Monch)
5.) “Damage” (produced by Lee Stone)
6.) “Bad M.F.” (produced by Lee Stone)
7.) “The Recollection Facility Pt.2” (produced by Pharoahe Monch)
8.) “Rapid Eye Movement” featuring Black Thought (produced by Marco Polo)
9.) “Scream” (produced by Quelle Chris)
10.) “SideFX” featuring Dr. Pete (produced by Pharoahe Monch)
11.) “The Jungle” (produced by Marco Polo)
12.) “Broken Again” (produced by The Lion Share Music Group)
13.) “Post Traumatic Stress Disorder”(produced by Boogie Blind & B.A.M.)
14.) “Dream” featuring Talib Kweli (produced by Lee Stone)
15.) “The Recollection Facility Pt.3” (produced by Pharoahe Monch)
16.) “Eht Dnarg Noisulli” featuring The Stepkids (produced by The Stepkids & Pharoahe Monch)
17.) “Stand Your Ground” featuring Vernon Reid (produced by Lee Stone) ****Bonus Track for Digital Purchases

http://www.xxlmag.com/news/2014/02/...-features-talib-kweli-black-thought-and-more/

JohnDoe

Banned

Never been a huge Fifty fan but I respect this quote:

“It’s freedom to invest in your own ideas,” he told FORBES in his first interview since the news broke. “If ever I had a horse that I was betting on at the track, I’d like to be the horse. Let it be me, goddammit, because I’m going to run as hard as I can.”

That's the mindset that got him this far (too bad he fell off though lmao)

T Dollarz

Think y'all trippin with Oxy talk. after one listen I thought it was dope as fuck, about met my expectations maybe exceeded a little after reading the impressions here yesterday. I'd say I like it about as much as Trap Lord. It's certainly better than LLA. But no, it's no Old or GKMC. Not sure how I'd compare it to his past projects yet, this one's pretty different. Overall I see it making my top 10 but not really an AOTY contender. Already a few projects I liked more this year lol

HiResDes

Think y'all trippin with Oxy talk. after one listen I thought it was dope as fuck, about met my expectations maybe exceeded a little after reading the impressions here yesterday. I'd say I like it about as much as Trap Lord. It's certainly better than LLA. But no, it's no Old or GKMC. Not sure how I'd compare it to his past projects yet, this one's pretty different. Overall I see it making my top 10 but not really an AOTY contender. Already a few projects I liked more this year lol
I feel like I was very spot on, but I'm not surprised that some people like it, especially considering those that do. It's the usual suspects. LLA has more bangers, better beats, and much better collabs and that album wasn't even all that. Also equating Old to be on the same tier as GKMC is very telling.

mooooose

I take it all back. Oxymoron, as a project, is pretty successful. When Q is on, he is on. Gangsta is better than anything on HnC. Prescription/Oxy is progressive and personal and amazing. Hoover Street is flawed but ambitious.

The problem is, all the best songs were what we heard before the project. Almost every song that is good, was a single. They tried so hard to get this over that it made the album just all of Q's singles and some filler. Because honestly, if samples were the problem, what fucking songs were so important that they had to fight for them? Los Awesome and The Purge have no samples and both songs are kinda ass.

They should've leaked the Danny Brown, ASAP Rocky, and Ab-Soul songs if they weren't going to be on the album instead of trying to find Q's single. Why even put Break the Bank out before the album? If Collard Greens didn't get over, nothing else was.

For the record, I kinda like Los Awesome.

But whatever. Q will eventually literally break the bank, and we will get EAT, we're getting Califronication on the Target deluxe, Druggy Wit Hoes Pt 3 will come out, the 50 songs will leak.. and somewhere from these Oxymoron recording sessions, we will get a good album. Gravy too, hopefully Clams gave him some heat.

But standard Oxymoron? With the Purge and Studio? With that boring What They Like (tho the hook is dope and I like the beat)? It's just a bad album. But I still have hope that, by the end of this, we will have an album's worth of good Q material.

bowery

mooooose

For the record, Oxymoron has no quotables. Lyrically it's completely mundane and it's strength is in Q's mastery of hooks IMO and his flow and adlibs.

Moose you tripping, HnC still has the best tracks.
Word, it does, but Gangsta is better than anything on HnC. But one song doesn't make a project.

mooooose

Everyone complaining about Oxymoron having duds tho... Every project Q has put out has had highs and lows. Even people who like HnC don't like half of it lol. A song like Hell of a Night sounds like Party. A song like Studio is some Setbacks type stuff. If Q wasn't related to Kendrick, it probably would've done him better, because he'd just be compared to ASAP Rocky or at worst (for him) Danny Brown. No one would've asked him if his album would be as good as GKMC. No one would invite that comparison. Similarly, whoever exec produced this tried to make this GKMC. Even the sequencing.

HiResDes

HnC is a lot more consistent and a lot more focused. I didn't have super high expectations but I honestly feel this project is a step back from his last two projects. If you're not going to progress as an artist and you haven't even put out a truly great project yet just fucking hang it up. This is Qs big chance, and this is the effort we get. If you want me to help you feed your daughter, you better show some damn hunger. And it even like I ain't a Q fan.

mooooose

HnC is a lot more consistent and a lot more focused. I didn't have super high expectations but I honestly feel this project is a step back from his last two projects. If you're not going to progress as an artist and you haven't even put out a truly great project yet just fucking hang it up. This is Qs big chance, and this is the effort we get. If you want me to help you feed your daughter, you better show some damn hunger. And it even like I ain't a Q fan.
Word, this isn't even pandering. It's lazy.

My thoughts exactly.

SoilBreak

Banned

Exactly. Oxy could've been a much better album if it had more personal songs like prescription instead of corny shit like hell of a night & los awesome.

mooooose

Oxy has too much gangsta rap and not enough swag rap. The perfect balance is a song like Nightmare on Figg St. Oxy never touched that.

Dereck

Was it ever revealed what tracks didn't make the album due to sampling issues? I feel like the album suffered from that.

mooooose

Was it ever revealed what tracks didn't make the album due to sampling issues? I feel like the album suffered from that.
I don't know, but there is not a single song other than Gangsta or Break the Bank that was worth fighting for, so I have no idea why this was delayed so much.

edit - I bet hindsight is 20/20 and people will be wishing Yay Yay or Banger made the album. Both are better than what we got.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Yay Yay makes my cut of the album. still a great song I have on while I roll up.

Cheddahz

Banned
edit - I bet hindsight is 20/20 and people will be wishing Yay Yay or Banger made the album. Both are better than what we got.

Honestly, I wish Banger made it onto the album. It was the only single I enjoyed from the album...but I guess I have to go to Target to get it *puts on his Ab-Soul shades*

T Dollarz

He already likes a few projects more and Q1 ain't even done, and you think Oxymoron is an album that will age well? Seems like poor foresight

Yeah that's very true. Same thing happened with HnC a couple years ago. It was my winter jam, but by the fall months that ish grew so tired. Plus GKMC came out and basically shat on it lol

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
HRD spitting that real

Q ain't bout that REAL bum life

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom