• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTX| Long Live the Watcher

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I love Abel but he's starting to sound very samey on everything he does. I wanna hear him on more tight pop tracks like Wanderlust. His songs tend to lack any coherant structure.

Jitters

I think I'm done with the weeknd. really fuckin' tired of the dude and his whole image. if he just stopped making music tomorrow, I'd be fine.

I've felt this way for awhile now. I feel in a way I'm let down by him, because when he first came into the scene I was really digging him.

Tokubetsu

I think I'm done with the weeknd. really fuckin' tired of the dude and his whole image. if he just stopped making music tomorrow, I'd be fine.

Go for it

i4PCVdJbUOoVx.gif

Gaf-hoppers just breaking my heart left and right this week. I don't have a place here anymore, it no longer feels like home. I'm out. I'm done. Peace </3

I was never really into the Weeknd. All his songs have the same vibe and sound too it IMO. Some whiny voice on every track.

Frank Ocean >

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I love Abel but he's starting to sound very samey on everything he does. I wanna hear him on more tight pop tracks like Wanderlust. His songs tend to lack any coherant structure.
I thought on Kiss Land he was more versatile than he's ever been.

Man, I completely forgot about Devil May Cry he did last year too. That song was :wow:

Also it was slept on hard but the intro he did for Dedication 5 might be my favourite recent piece of work from him.

My motives are basic..

sounds like Rae can buy some decent beats now
Raekwon’s ‘Ice-H20 Records’ Pimp Canada Project

“Raekwon is supposed to be rich, he got Wu Tang money. He’s out here ripping off the Canada Music Fund program.

Raekwon’s office for Ice-H20 Records is at Yonge street and Gloucester street – there’s a Money Mart on the corner and the Ice-H20 Records office is over a barber shop.

I went to Ice-H20 Records – they had an outdated PC. I asked ‘Ya’ll don’t got a Mac Computer?’ No one was working in this office, It’s all a scam. The operation is overlooked by some stoner named Trini, who knows nothing about the music business. But, Trini does know how to apply for the Canada Music Fund checks.

I’m told that Raekwon may come in once a week to check on things, but it’s Trini’s idea, so it’s his job to get the grants. Raekwon could take any bullshit Canadian artist on tour with him, and the Canadian Music Fund program could pay up to $50K, and more for the buy on.

Ice-H20 Records doesn’t give kick backs to their artists either. Why should they? The artist is not in on the scam. The more Canadian artists Ice-H20 Records signs, the more they can apply for more Canada Music Fund grants.

Raekwon is smart – hip hop is alive in Canada, it’s like 1995 over here, and Raekwon is taking advantage of it. Ice-H20 Records is likely to make a million dollars – and more yearly – off the Canada Music Fund program. But Raekwon and his conniving buddy Trini are keeping all the money.”
http://diaryofahollywoodstreetking....ords-pimp-canada-project/#k0J1IQtTVQPxiBZD.99

can't hate the game

Jitters

Today would have been Kurt Cobain's birthday and he liked It Takes A Nation. It was the only hip hop album in his top 50 albums list. He got it.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
I only started listening to him and feel you are wrong

you can stop right there... you've told me all I need to know

I've felt this way for awhile now. I feel in a way I'm let down by him, because when he first came into the scene I was really digging him.

he just didnt grow. he's been making the same song for the last 3 years now, if you're an artist in this day and age who found success because of the ever evolving internet, you should probably be thinking about evolving as well... just artists in general need to keep evolving or get ready to start losing fans.

Gaf-hoppers just breaking my heart left and right this week. I don't have a place here anymore, it no longer feels like home. I'm out. I'm done. Peace </3

not my fault abel can't not sing about drugs, pussy and heartbreak. dude should go see a therapist or some shit, life ain't that rough... especially if you got drugs and pussy around.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
Hoover Street sounds pretty inspired even though it's kind of all over the place. So far I'm feeling like he should've zeroed in on this as a focus.

yo this might be my favorite recycle bin gif yet lmao
KgouhG0.jpg
Man that dunk competition was pretty bad. That gif just reminds me of that wasted Saturday.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I was never really into the Weeknd. All his songs have the same vibe and sound too it IMO. Some whiny voice on every track.

Frank Ocean >
After Late Nights and the upcoming Shlomo EP I feel like Jeremih is poised to be the top dude in the R&B scene. But I'm big fan of Frank, Miguel and Weeknd too. They've all played a part in reviving the genre.

Cudder

I'm on Blind Threats and the album is meh. Standout so far is P/O. Speaking of, I wonder if there's a correlation to Sing about me/dying of thirst. Both longer songs with 2 parts, and both are pretty much the highlights of their respective albums. Q also kind of has the same flow as Kendrick does on Sing about me on Prescription.

on His and Her Friend and I can honestly say this is a weedplate. The singles are easily the most memorable thing about it so far. Hoover Street is good - or at least, the second half is. Lyrically the entire album just feels freestyled, modern Jay-Z style. But at least Jay will come up with a good line here or there.

Production is shockingly stale.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Frank is not better than anyone when he put out one of the worst debuts of any hyped up artist in recent years and has sparingly done anything worthwhile since Nostalgia, Ultra. Weeknd 4/4 with no signs of slowing down.

Cudder

you can stop right there... you've told me all I need to know

he just didnt grow. he's been making the same song for the last 3 years now, if you're an artist in this day and age who found success because of the ever evolving internet, you should probably be thinking about evolving as well... just artists in general need to keep evolving or get ready to start losing fans.

not my fault abel can't not sing about drugs, pussy and heartbreak. dude should go see a therapist or some shit, life ain't that rough... especially if you got drugs and pussy around.
Oh, so you mean surrounding yourself with shallow pleasures like drugs and lots of women aren't a way for a person to masquerade their depression? Everyone has vices. Philip Seymour Hoffman died with a fucking needle in his arm, and he had everything he could've wanted. He makes the music he makes and that's that.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Yeaaaa...waiting for that Mastermind. At the very least, the production is gonna be way better than Q's. lol.

Frank is not better than anyone when he put out one of the worst debuts of any hyped up artist in recent years and has sparingly done anything worthwhile since Nostalgia, Ultra. Weeknd 4/4 with no signs of slowing down.

This.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Heh, I fucking love Channel Orange so much. Guess we differ there. Got high expectations for his next project.

naw

Heh, I fucking love Channel Orange so much. Guess we differ there. Got high expectations for his next project.
yeah, for some reason gaf hop thinks channel orange is ass even though it's a top album of 2012

it's all good tho. he gon bless us again :blessed:

Esch

Banned
channel orange sucks but frank is clearly the better writer lyrically. Abel's carried by his production. Otherwise he's a michael jackson on the mic, with aggressively one-note subject material. I'ma wait till Frank drops his next project to call it tho. maybe this time he won't come with wack ass beats

HiResDes

I think Danny could have helped save that middling Tyler track and that Rocky would have made Hell of a Night better had he done the hook. Why Q abandoned his friends like he was making a focused album

1160.gif

Weeknd got the most one dimensional sounding music. All his shit sounds the same.

Frank takes that battle any day.

yo double posts

overcast

Think y'all are acting like Q created an abomination, definitely too harsh.

That said, it's pretty disappointing. I agree that the album lacks focus, Q seems like he got stuck with a few tracks that were essentially throw aways, or at least forced by the label. 5 tracks are meh to bad, which automatically puts it below HnC IMO. That album seemed a lot more realized. I think Hell of a Night is easily replaced. I think the production is more lacking than Q's lyrics. Shit, on things like Break the Bank and Prescription he is more interesting to listen to than most artists. Had ridiculously high expectations, so that doesn't help. A lot like Long Live ASAP, except the features aren't as good and the highs are higher. Also, we heard a lot of the best songs before the album.

Great: Man of the Year, Break the Bank, Prescription/Oxymoron, Gangsta, Blind Threats, Fuck LA

Good: Hoover Street, Collard Greens

Okay: What they want, Grooveline pt.2

Ehhh: Los Awesome, His or Her Fiend

Bad: Studio, Hell of a Night, The Purge

Fuck Tyler's drums. Jesus, same fucking best all the time. Danny, ASAP and Druggies replacing those bottom three tracks? Album would look a LOT better. Still buying, maybe he'll truly too HnC next time.

7/10 or something. Maybe 7.5.

Yikes @ Oxymoron.

As someone who absolutely loved HnC (I ranked it higher than GKMC in 2012, only behind R.A.P. Music for AOTY), and who kept away from the snippets or the Gaf-Hop negativity, Oxy is not doing it for me at all. Disappointing album. There are like 5 tracks I walked away from the first listen thinking were HnC worthy.

I'll also take this time out to say I've never liked Collard Greens and should've seen this coming ever since that track was released.

Same of the beats sound very generic and Q didn't really switch things up too much. I do like his Adlibs but he stuck to them a bit too much on this project. He was really using the Yawks n the Knocks as his crutches.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
so i listened to cilvia today.... and that kid Rashad has a lot of potential. It reminds me of section 80 kind of (I'm not saying he reminds me of kendrick) it just has the effortless dope feel Section.80 has and I wan't to see what this kid could do with full label support behind him.

Also fml if Ross doesn't sound good on "Nobody". Getting Diddy to co-sign this fuckery was worth giving him executive producer credits.

Is that Diddy ranting in the background?

I'm hyped for this ross album but I don't know if its gonna move units, I haven't heard a BMF type single and I think Ross needs that in order for "Mastermind" to succeed.

overcast

Hard not to think about how well Q should have done given how good HnC was. Regression, but it's aight. Thinking Rock will come through.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I thought you guys were just doing that thing where we shit on new albums for fun. But what the actual fuck is wrong with Q. How the holy hell do you put this shit out and dare to even pretend it isn't radioactive garbage. Outside of Collard Greens, the entire album until track 9 sucks ass. Perscription-Purge-Blind are alright tracks, not great. Hell of a Night is alright. I like Break the Bank and Man of the Year.

One great song that dropped last year, 2 songs are good, 4 are alright and the rest are straight up garbage. This ranks right up there with Radioactive as worst disappointment in recent memory.

Fucking A Q.

I really do want to know how the album would've sounded if all the tracks Q wanted on the album would've made it.. instead of the possible throwaway's that did.

Macca

I thought you guys were just doing that thing where we shit on new albums for fun. But what the actual fuck is wrong with Q. How the holy hell do you put this shit out and dare to even pretend it isn't radioactive garbage. Outside of Collard Greens, the entire album until track 9 sucks ass. Perscription-Purge-Blind are alright tracks, not great. Hell of a Night is alright. I like Break the Bank and Man of the Year.

One great song that dropped last year, 2 songs are good, 4 are alright and the rest are straight up garbage. This ranks right up there with Radioactive as worst disappointment in recent memory.

Fucking A Q.
Is it better or worse than Radioactive?

WanderingWind

Is it better or worse than Radioactive?

About the same, tbh. Except I went back and forth trying to like Radioactive. I'm going to give Oxymoron some more tries, but man, going from super excited to wanting so bad to skip through most of the songs is a gut punch.

Lol I was about to call out the shade, but then he actually mentioned Radioactive at the end of his post.

I don't know what this means.

overcast

Hold up, Radioactive is literally something I haven't checked back on since it dropped. Long Live ASAP is a better comparison cause I'll have a few songs I listen to all year.

Definitely not HnC brehs :[

DeadTsar

Shiiiit Weeknd constantly be putting out bangers. Kiss Land (the song) is his greatest work yet, that second half is amazing. Plus he's killing features left and right, absolutely renegaded French on Gifted.

Oxymoron is average, and I love HnC. It definitely has a stale vibe, P/O, Gangsta and Hoover are my favourites so far.

On another note gonna see Danny Brown tonight, hope I can survive this. Carb loading like I'm about to run a marathon.

WanderingWind

Hold up, Radioactive is literally something I haven't checked back on since it dropped. Long Live ASAP is a better comparison cause I'll have a few songs I listen to all year.

Definitely not HnC brehs :[

I still listen to LLA though. I can't see myself listening to this past this next week.

EDIT: Kiss Land is still in rotation for me, but I can only stomach so much baby making music at a time. If Anthony Hamilton decides to stop being lazy and bless us with another album, maybe that'll replace it

overcast

Weeknd album is purely forgettable. And I love his tapes, idk. People have been letting me down aside from Kendrick and Danny brehs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom