• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTX| Long Live the Watcher

Status
Not open for further replies.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Toku will come around. It is inevitable.

On that note, damn, I've really been posting in GAF-Hop for close to 5 years now... damn.

G9mN7.png
@ Esch

Esch

Banned
Lupe's lane never got swiped. He puts out albums that are universally critically acclaimed and he tours. That's his lane. He's lasted longer than I expect Kendrick to. Tying yourself to coast leads to popularity and attention fading somewhere after your second to third album as the face of that region/sonic sound.
Yea it did breh. I'm not saying he's not gonna eat either... but Kendrick is kicking the kind of music Lupe always has. Conscious but still accessible raps, minimal street shit. I actually expect Kendrick to eventually go the Lupe route and make some really poppy rnb or pop/rap collabs too.

How is Kendrick tying himself to a coast? Dude has been doing features all over the place. His 2nd hit has Jay-Z on it. He just did a movie cut with Alicia Keys. He's worked with people like Fredo Santana and Young Jeezy. Dude's everywhere.

IrishNinja

Lupe's lane never got swiped. He puts out albums that are universally critically acclaimed and he tours. That's his lane. He's lasted longer than I expect Kendrick to. Tying yourself to coast leads to popularity and attention fading somewhere after your second to third album as the face of that region/sonic sound.

no, he doesn't. and i'm curious how you'd define "last" because Lupe's always gonna have a few dudes on twitter who act like everything after The Cool didn't happen, but then the other side of the coin you're fronting here is that Lupe can't blame any region for Lasers

finally! ive enjoyed the singles, hadn't gotten the email about the full release yet - thanks for this

Esch

Banned
Think about all the rap careers that could have been if their managers simply blocked InfoWars on their artists computer. Lupe, Nas, Ab-Soul, maybe even Canibus.

Pretty bad interview in terms of pressing Lupe, or the lack thereof. It was clear Lupe had something to say about Kendrick, but they allowed him to beat around the bush. At one point he says "how can you say he's the best when his verse was wack?" Clearly he was talking about Control, it matches some of the stuff he's said about it before, but they didn't press.

Also smh @ Rosenberg essentially using a sales argument. If GKMC flopped would it still be a great, or classic, album? I'd love to hear Elliot Wilson and a lot of other dick riders answer that question. As Lupe pointed out, there are plenty of albums that didn't sell like GKMC yet have huge impact. Illmatic wasn't some chart topper initially, none of ATCQ's albums were, etc.

Ultimately Lupe lost me with the troll answer. You can't name battle rappers like Cassidy and claim they're better than a well rounded MC like Kendrick. That's basement dwelling rap nerd shit. King Los is very dope, I wouldn't really complain about naming him but I'd ask what's his best body of work, and how does it position him against great "new" rappers. Not in terms of sales, but quality. I think Kendrick wins with GKMC.

CRS

To be fair, Kendrick took Lupe's vacant lane. Lupe may have remnants of his old lane but he is in an entirely new place right now. At this point, he probably only has a fraction of his fan base from his mixtape/debut album era. Only time will tell if Kendrick takes the same route Lupe did even though I highly doubt it.

Also, I laugh at dude saying Lupe's albums were critically acclaimed. Lasers and F&L 2, have ranged from trash to forgettable with the last enjoyable music Lupe has put out since The Cool has been a mixtape track or two, the street singles/leaks from the original version of Lasers, and maybe a feature.

Lupe has had a rap career and will continue to do so. Lol at 'the rap career he could have had'. Lupe has always been on a political tip since his Fahrenheit 1st & 15th mixtape series and still made got big.

DominoKid

Lupe is going on straight BARZ w/ that.

Really though IDK why Lupe would even be salty about Kendrick. I never say them in the same lane at all.

Really though IDK why Lupe would even be salty about Kendrick. I never say them in the same lane at all.

If you watch the video you can clearly see that the main reason he even said some of that stuff was to get under Rosenberg's skin lol.

Esch

Banned

But if he was goin off strait BARHZ he'd have picked B-Magic and Lux. Cassidy ain't shit now and he only knows Hollow cus he watched the match.

They have a similar audience as much as lane tbh but I think there are some similarities just based off who they're trying to appeal to.

Naw I never much liked the way he put a track together, tinfoil hat shit aside. He's a good rapper though.

I like Tech but he's out of shape lol
I've tried to explain this before but it's really noticeable when he takes a huge breath on a track and on some tracks it's obvious he just pasted audio parts together. And I mean mid-verse, not separate verses themselves.

Also wtf Lupe wtf
Everytime I hear this guy talk he sounds like a dumbass. I don't understand what happened. I remember when Kick, Push came out way back when I was excited to hear what this guy had and he seemed like a good guy. Flash forward and he's gonna frickin insane. Him and Charles Hamilton should do an EP together but that might get them committed.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace

XXL Freshmen 2014 Cypher Pt. 2 (ft. Rich Homie Quan, Ty Dolla $ign & Lil Durk)

Common's next album "Nobody's Smiling" will drop on June 22nd via Def Jam/Artium.

Posted? Future - Blood, Sweat, Tears video.

Ab-Soul - Stigmata DECODED + Real Late interview. Not much in the interview TBH.

Swizz Beatz on The Breakfast Club. Great interview, a lot of it is just him going back to school and him on a pursuit to become a business owner. Sounds like he isn't motivated to make music unless it's something that's big though, he's really about preserving that brand. Sounds sort of what Just Blaze is like right now. Swizzy did this interview like he's been nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize.

I'm already scared of watching that Rosenberg/Lupe interview, but Rosenberg is pretty much the biggest Kendrick dickrider in the media.

Lupe is right about Rosenberg dickriding Kendrick kinda like y'all do, but Lupe lost me the moment he started talking about rappers that are better and named dudes like Logic and Cassidy

Furyous

Yea it did breh. I'm not saying he's not gonna eat either... but Kendrick is kicking the kind of music Lupe always has. Conscious but still accessible raps, minimal street shit. I actually expect Kendrick to eventually go the Lupe route and make some really poppy rnb or pop/rap collabs too.

How is Kendrick tying himself to a coast? Dude has been doing features all over the place. His 2nd hit has Jay-Z on it. He just did a movie cut with Alicia Keys. He's worked with people like Fredo Santana and Young Jeezy. Dude's everywhere.

He's the new face of the coast. I coulda swore he said he's the leader of the new school in a rap. He's tied to the west as far as being the new guy with the pass from Dre. Game is the last dude who got that universal push that I can remember. I'm talking full co-signs.

no, he doesn't. and i'm curious how you'd define "last" because Lupe's always gonna have a few dudes on twitter who act like everything after The Cool didn't happen, but then the other side of the coin you're fronting here is that Lupe can't blame any region for Lasers

Lasers was a solid record. Wasn't that his highest selling record? If the label forced him to have songs with catchier hooks then I'm all for it. There were some clear duds on that album. I define last as having a successful relevant career after the initial hype has died down. Lupe dropped one verse last year that shit on almost everything that came out that year. While I'm going in, Lupe is being nice in this interview. He's a better MC than Kendrick and makes better more memorable IMHO records.

Lasers was a solid record. Wasn't that his highest selling record? If the label forced him to have songs with catchier hooks then I'm all for it. There were some clear duds on that album. I define last as having a successful relevant career after the initial hype has died down. Lupe dropped one verse last year that shit on almost everything that came out that year. While I'm going in, Lupe is being nice in this interview. He's a better MC than Kendrick and makes better more memorable IMHO records.

That Poor Decisions verse was something serious. He has been dropping heat since early 2013 outside of a few weak tracks. He's not the golden child of alternative hip hop that he was when he first burst on the scene, and it seems as if he can't say anything these days without receiving a bunch of backlash for something that isn't even that serious.

At this point, he really can't win back the average hip hop fan back because of what's been going on with him the past few years, but everybody reaches that point in their careers where only the stans/loyal fans are going to give a shit about their music and Kendrick will eventually get to that point.

I personally enjoy Lupe's abstract lyricism and his socio-political commentary so I'll keep checking for his music. The only thing I didn't like about F&L2 was the production really. The tone didn't affect me that much, and despite the shit he says in interviews (aliens...for real bro) he doesn't really talk about conspiracies the way Canibus or Immortal Technique do in his music.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Damn, Rosenberg caught some feelings.

Not gonna lie, I was feeling Lupe most of that interview, but they were arguing two completely different things. Bringing up Hollow is besides the point Ebro was trying to make, he's a battle MC, of course him and even B-tier battle rappers would smoke pretty much every mainstream or industry rapper lyrically, because there's no song component, and that's what they do. Ebro was framing the argument in terms of musical ability and what makes a better artist (Rosenberg was too) and Lupe was just talking raw lyrics.

To bring it full circle, if this all just started off of a criticism of music on the radio that Lupe was making, then why isn't counting stuff like your body of work or your ability to make a song relevant? Why does Cassidy deserve a spot on the radio? Because he doesn't, by any metric.

Another thing that he lost me with was the fact that Lupe said it had to be inarguable. Lupe himself couldn't make a good argument why Kendrick isn't arguably one of the nicest doing it.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
He had some good songs, unlike most battle rappers. Hustla was an anthem.
It's been like 5-10 years since we've heard any of them. Cassidy's output has been garbage for a hot minute. And I'm saying this because I actually give those freestyles and random singles a shot. Nothing sticks, and he hasn't evolved as an artist.

Nitsuj23

Think about all the rap careers that could have been if their managers simply blocked InfoWars on their artists computer. Lupe, Nas, Ab-Soul, maybe even Canibus.

Esch, I really do value your opinion on music. You and a lot of other posters are the reason I've been lurking for years. But when you say stuff like this, what exactly do you mean?

I don't think any of those guys want a rap career in the same sense Jay or 50 or Drake or Kanye want a rap career, do you? Ab-Soul makes a pretty decent living spitting his InfoWars bars and travelling the country. I don't think he'd want the attention that a rap superstar draws. Same with Nas and Lupe to an extent. Not Nas so much in his early days, but I think once he realized he could live a good life talking about what he wanted to talk about he kind of got comfortable. Especially as he matured and after his mother's passing.

I feel like those dudes are perfectly happy with their spot in the game and how they're living their life. They seem like the type of personalities that would rather say what they want and make a few hundred thousand a year than have a lucrative rap career and make however many millions (or less, I really don't know). The rather make a mil and nobody know what my name is type.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
It's been like 5-10 years since we've heard any of them. Cassidy's output has been garbage for a hot minute. And I'm saying this because I actually give those freestyles and random singles a shot. Nothing sticks, and he hasn't evolved as an artist.

Difference between being old and done for and not belonging on the radio.

plenty of battle rappers have had good songs; like DMX, Jay-Z and your boy Eminem for one
jbdUkbpMwmpLtG.png

Most.

Esch

Banned
Esch, I really do value your opinion on music. You and a lot of other posters are the reason I've been lurking for years. But when you say stuff like this, what exactly do you mean?
Man it's truly not that serious. I'm just having a little bit of fun out here. All of these guys have had a good career on their own terms. Well not Canibus really. But even he has a fanbase of people that really love what he does.

I know what you mean; my point is simply to highlight how important battling was to the development of the majority of the old guard that we talk about to this day.

Nitsuj23

Man it's truly not that serious. I'm just having a little bit of fun out here. All of these guys have had a good career on their own terms. Well not Canibus really. But even he has a fanbase of people that really love what he does.

Word haha and that's why I didn't mention Canibus :D... but definitely agree.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom