• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTX| Long Live the Watcher

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tokubetsu

these-days-tracklisting.jpg

These Days tracklist

kendricks interlude...serious

AOTY

Is there gonna be a physical or is Soulo gonna be itunes only releases from here to infinity?

these-days-tracklisting.jpg

These Days tracklist

kendricks interlude...serious

Guess you never heard Ab-Soul's Outro?

They really put Dub Sac on this shit though.. Song was straight garbage. Hyped anyway tho

Inb4 Enzo says "NO KANYE LOOKIN LIKE AN L, NOT ENOUGH KENDRICK FEATURES, LOOKIN LIKE AN L, SONG WITH RICK ROSS, DOESNT FIT HIS STYLE, LOOKIN LIKE AN L, NOT ENUF SBQ LOOKIN LIKE AN L, NOT ENOUGH PROMOTION, WHERE DA BITCHES AT? SMH LOOKIN LIKE AN L."

Tokubetsu

I'm coming around to this YG album, its pretty fun. Why did he copy GKMC tho? What's the connection there?

So albums can't have any sort of focus now without being directly compared to GKMC?
On the real though You say this like it's a bad thing to have solid but loose concept albums from mainstream artists. This is good. My Krazy Life is a lot better for it when it could have just been Mustard single after Mustard single. I expect Juicy j's next release to have some focus too.

Cudder

So albums can't have any sort of focus now without being directly compared to GKMC?
On the real though You say this like it's a bad thing to have solid but loose concept albums from mainstream artists. This is good. My Krazy Life is a lot better for it when it could have just been Mustard single after Mustard single. I expect Juicy j's next release to have some focus too.

I'm saying the whole storyline is straight ripped out of GKMC almost. The skits and all that shit, with his mom yelling at him, to the home invasion bit/song, etc.

iavi

Yo Gaf-hop what was the consensus that we came to on what constitutes a classic?

Cause GKMC is it. I ended up listening through it again a few times over the past week @ work and realized that the album has aged beautifully. Shit that I rated higher initially like Long Live, while still fun with its highs, hasn't aged well at all.

Tokubetsu

I'm saying the whole storyline is straight ripped out of GKMC almost. The skits and all that shit, with his mom yelling at him, to the home invasion bit/song, etc.

How is it? It's a different perspective. GKMC is essentially the hood nerd talking about he was reaching way beyond his comfort zone/safe zone and totally regretting it. MKL is a total embrace of it while at the same time being like "but look where it got me thank god for prison straightening me out" Meet the flockers is way more sinister/don't give a fuck than anything on GKMC.

tbh this is the kinda shit I hate from rap dudes in general. Y'all are so quick to just box shit up in the same slot, totally missing any god damn nuance. GKMC does not equal MKL in anyway outside of "Hood Tales" and "West Coast"

To be clear, 100% My Krazy Life we got would not exist without GKMC but it kinda ends there for me. GKMC made dudes realize you could have focus outside of singles and still sell but you're acting like MKL straight up jacks GKMC which I think isn't fair (to MKL).

Like YG is straight up talking beating the shit out of dudes, but not "stomping" because that's disrespectful and too much. Kendrick is talking about how drinking and smoking too much, is wrong and you can do better.

How is it? It's a different perspective. GKMC is essentially the hood nerd talking about he was reaching way beyond his comfort zone/safe zone and totally regretting it. MKL is a total embrace of it while at the same time being like "but look where it got me thank god for prison straightening me out" Meet the flockers is way more sinister/don't give a fuck than anything on GKMC.

tbh this is the kinda shit I hate from rap dudes in general. Y'all are so quick to just box shit up in the same slot, totally missing any god damn nuance. GKMC does not equal MKL in anyway outside of "Hood Tales" and "West Coast"

To be clear, 100% My Krazy Life we got would not exist without GKMC but it kinda ends there for me. GKMC made dudes realize you could have focus outside of singles and still sell but you're acting like MKL straight up jacks GKMC which I think isn't fair (to MKL).

Tell em Toku

Tokubetsu

Like, MKL got skits about giving your side bitch deep dick when you find out your main girl is cheating AND THEN GETTING MAD.

How is that GKMC?

#patriarchy

Esch

Banned
Man so true. Do you listen to music or just skim through it, etc.

Cudder

Like YG is straight up talking beating the shit out of dudes, but not "stomping" because that's disrespectful and too much. Kendrick is talking about how drinking and smoking too much, is wrong and you can do better.
Not gonna lie, you're totally right in that I'm passively listening to MKL. The content and POV might be different from GKMC, but it hits all of the same bullet points that GKMC does in its story, which is what stood out to me initially.

Toku is right
After my first listen through My Krazy Life I was like "oh cool he actually told a decent story".
Of course he was inspired by GKMC but it's not like concept albums or just albums that paint a picture or tell a story are a new occurrence.

overcast

Except My Krazy Life is average as hell guys. Couple terrific songs on there that I play regularly. I don't criticize it for being a conceptual album, it's just pretty dull, with good yet repetitive production.

Esch

Banned
Except My Krazy Life is average as hell guys. Couple terrific songs on there that I play regularly. I don't criticize it for being a conceptual album, it's just pretty dull, with good yet repetitive production.
It's not a discussion on quality, it's just a compare and contrast and a quick discussion in concept albums. Nobody's calling My Krazy Life a classic.

Ultimately Toku is right. Kendrick is like a more serious Coolio in the sense that he projects the image of a west coast guy from the game but not of the game. Skit wise, A Prince Among Thieves comes to mind in terms of non-linear storytelling. But no one would claim Kendrick is jacking Coolio or Prince Among Thieves - they were influences.

Of course MKL was influenced by GKMC. But there's a big difference between straight up jacking something - like say, Their Satanic Majesties Request jacking Sgt. Pepper - and being influenced by something. YG tells his story, and I honestly think the album would have included many of those skits even if GKMC didn't exist. You gotta remember this is the west coast we're talking about. Films like Menace To Society and Boyz In The Hood are huge influences. Hell, GKMC is very similar to Boyz In The Hood...

I'm not really a fan of MKL but I will say it sounds a lot more "west coast" to me than GKMC. Really Be Smoking could have come out in 1992.

HiResDes

Ultimately Toku is right. Kendrick is like a more serious Coolio in the sense that he projects the image of a west coast guy from the game but not of the game. Skit wise, A Prince Among Thieves comes to mind in terms of non-linear storytelling. But no one would claim Kendrick is jacking Coolio or Prince Among Thieves - they were influences.

Of course MKL was influenced by GKMC. But there's a big difference between straight up jacking something - like say, Their Satanic Majesties Request jacking Sgt. Pepper - and being influenced by something. YG tells his story, and I honestly think the album would have included many of those skits even if GKMC didn't exist. You gotta remember this is the west coast we're talking about. Films like Menace To Society and Boyz In The Hood are huge influences. Hell, GKMC is very similar to Boyz In The Hood...

I'm not really a fan of MKL but I will say it sounds a lot more "west coast" to me than GKMC. Really Be Smoking could have come out in 1992.
Just because something sounds more West coast doesn't make it superior in anyway. MKL is a mostly mediocre album with a few really elevated highs that is bogged down by Mustards stagnant production and a MC that seems able to go from convincing to cornball in an instant.

Just because something sounds more West coast doesn't make it superior in anyway. MKL is a mostly mediocre album with a few really elevated highs that is bogged down by Mustards stagnant production and a MC that seems able to go from convincing to cornball in an instant.

I mean i get that Mustard production ticks you off but no one is talking about which album is superior...

I mean i get that Mustard production ticks you off but no one is talking about which album is superior...

Yea. I was just pointing out in has a more traditional west coast sound than GKMC. But I agree with HRD on everything else.

BTW I just heard this song:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-s7TCuCpB5c

It's one of the best examples of Mustard's shit sounding the exact same. It sounds like a toned down version of:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cC2ZgCEaLWs

I'm not hating on Mustard, I like the fact that people are actually dancing to hip hop again, but still come on breh. The melody is infectious but that's probably because it's three chords over and over.

Esch

Banned
It's a little weird that dudes get bent outta shape by DJ Mustards repetitiveness. The vast majority of producers that are 'hot' shit sound similar. DJ drop aside I can tell a Zaytoven beat or something about 5 seconds in from the key or drum patterns.

I guess it's cause of his radio dominance?

Either way the angry backlash against My Krazy Life is weird. Too much praise when it dropped? Even if it's mediocre I'm not understanding the reaction.

HiResDes

It's a little weird that dudes get bent outta shape by DJ Mustards repetitiveness. The vast majority of producers that are 'hot' shit sound similar. DJ drop aside I can tell a Zaytoven beat or something about 5 seconds in from the key or drum patterns.

I guess it's cause of his radio dominance?

Either way the angry backlash against My Krazy Life is weird. Too much praise when it dropped? Even if it's mediocre I'm not understanding the reaction.
Is it backlash if you've been talking shit about it since day one. Also I think the basic structure and plot development of MKL does owe at least a nod to GKMC. People keep pointing out these specific details of the story that are different, but if you follow the story and the way the denouement unfolds the inspiration seems quite obvious to me.

I like most of the Mustard songs on the radio, outside of Fancy. As I said I'm not hating on his music, however the fact that he won't admit his shit sounds the same is pretty funny to me. He's literally using the same melody on every track he produces.

Lex would have different string arrangements/patterns but the same 808s and drums underneath, track to track. I'd say that's more variety than what Mustard is doing. He says he's focused on longevity, I'll be watching to see how that works out.

MKL was praised tho?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom