• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTX| Long Live the Watcher

Status
Not open for further replies.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
IDK man, I'm not overly interested in that one. Games that are procedurally generated to that level are usually pretty boring, and I'm not feeling it aesthetically.

AI and engineering are fascinating to me so the level of detail they've claimed to have reached when it comes to how the worlds are generated and what you'll be doing and encountering sounds wild.

Witcher 3 is going to be the hot shit at the beginning of next year. I'm even contemplating pre-ordering that deluxe edition for that statue. I never feel that way about a game. the majority of the time deluxe/le's are bullshit, but goddammit, that statue is kinda really awesome.

tumblr_n6tat5EQdy1reuhuro3_250.gif

I wasn't a huge fan of the first two, but saw a lot of potential in there. definitely looks like they've achieved more than Skyrim ever did and looks a whole lot better out of the box.

HiResDes

Are the witcher 1 & 2 worth getting now in preparation for witcher 3?

The Witcher 1 is superior for it's atmosphere and streamlined storyline, however the second one definitely has better combat...Both games rely so heavily on their storyline that I'd highly suggest it. Part of the enjoyment of The Witcher is being able to get those inside jokes past references, which I expect the third to definitely utilize.

HiResDes

Read wikipedia for 1, play 2. Witcher 1 is for dudes that can handle a lot of eurojank, and it's pretty bland and boring looking.

Gamers are graphically spoiled these days...I remember when I bought Oblivion and a friend told me I should play through Morrowind first...OMG the horrors, what a graphical leap.

Esch

Banned
Gamers are graphically spoiled these days...I remember when I bought Oblivion and a friend told me I should play through Morrowind first...OMG the horrors, what a graphical leap.
Meh, W1 is an alright game but it had a lot of boring fetch quests and the combat was REALLY boring and janky. I disagree with you on atmosphere even, a lot of early game W1 is very run of the mill fantasy that's not even as distinctive looking as something like Risen or Divinity 2. 2 has better everything pretty much imo (except story, which i don't care about).

Esch

Banned
i dont play it for the combat i play it for big boy Zelda with better graphics

I also have the advanced combat mod, like a family man should

Detox

Can't accept the Witcher comparison with Zelda. Nowhere near as much emphasis on dungeon, puzzle and general level design compared to the Zelda series. If they handle the transition into open world well and get it dense with dope quest design while retaining the same quality in dungeons the wii u Zelda will be something special.

Cheddahz

Banned
so i just got this new soundbar and i (finally) figured out how to hook my record player up to it and my god, sound is amazing on it (and it came with a subwoofer as well)

Kwixotik

Can't accept the Witcher comparison with Zelda. Nowhere near as much emphasis on dungeon, puzzle and general level design compared to the Zelda series. If they handle the transition into open world well and get it dense with dope quest design while retaining the same quality in dungeons the wii u Zelda will be something special.

I didn't watch E3, but I don't get how a non-linear open world Zelda will work while retaining quality dungeons. How can the puzzles/maps be the right level of complexity if the devs don't know what tools you have at your disposal from previous dungeons?

Detox

I haven't played it yet but iiirc lttp2 on 3ds let you tackle dungeons in any order and they let you rent as many items as you could. So it can work, the main issue I can see them having is the world being too sparse. The Zelda over worlds have always felt a bit hollow to me.

Tokubetsu

The Witcher 1 is superior for it's atmosphere and streamlined storyline, however the second one definitely has better combat...Both games rely so heavily on their storyline that I'd highly suggest it. Part of the enjoyment of The Witcher is being able to get those inside jokes past references, which I expect the third to definitely utilize.

What? Witcher 2's atmosphere and story > 1. 1 was at least half filler (most of Act II and even the short later acts are wasteful). Fetch quests and grindy bs. W2's combat isn't great or fluid as some other franchises that have cropped up (Batman etc) but it's solid enough to not outright hate it or consider it a negative.

Also I like K.Flay.

IrishNinja

yeah, Witcher 1 seemed too fetch-questy and not really good by me, what i played of 2 seemed better but the combat...well, Souls spoiled me

also detox even pc gamers know it's got nothing to do with zelda, you gotta not take that bait or the kids never learn

I haven't played it yet but iiirc lttp2 on 3ds let you tackle dungeons in any order and they let you rent as many items as you could. So it can work, the main issue I can see them having is the world being too sparse. The Zelda over worlds have always felt a bit hollow to me.

it totally does that, and it's better for it. and yeah overworlds (for me, the key to zelda) have been troubling because after responding to the (rightful) critique of TP's being too sparse, Skyward by comparison had much more liveliness/reward for your exploration, but hardware limitations kept said overworld feeling partitioned, which was a huge loss. also, the sky portion of it felt largely unfinished.
The fact that Aonuma is stressing overworld rather than dungeon design (probably the one element they've outshined every other like-title for years now) makes me really happy.

IrishNinja

see i got to like the marshes or so (i wanna say?) and lost my momentum, tokus said it was fine to skip entirely and just go to 2. i know i missed story but ive drudged through too many RPGs....like if it's some Planescape Torment shit ill put up with bad combat but it didn't sound like too terribly big a deal.

I thought witcher 1 got more interesting when you finally got into the city, it's nowhere near as inviting as 2 though. I think I quit witcher 1 twice during the first part but then finally went on with it and liked it

wenis

I didn't watch E3, but I don't get how a non-linear open world Zelda will work while retaining quality dungeons. How can the puzzles/maps be the right level of complexity if the devs don't know what tools you have at your disposal from previous dungeons?

the lazy way would be "oh you still don't have the right pieces for this puzzle, quest elsewhere until you do!", which effectively would kill any sense of progression the game could have unless they go the "true" open world experience like skyrim or fallout where obtaining those items could be possible if you you were lucky enough to just stumble upon them or buy them.

there isn't any information released currently about what the game will entail, but yeah, I have a lot of fears about how this will be carried out. Nintendo has not proven they have any consistency or cohesion with modern game design so I'm curious to see what paths they take to getting there. It certainly looks pretty, but that can be said about almost any nintendo developed game.

How do ya'll feel about Baldur's Gate?

great game. It was my palate cleanser while I was building Starcraft maps for 10 hours a day.

Tokubetsu

Was it you asking what BPM I work at? I can't remember if I answered you or not. A lot of my older/early shit was in the 90-100 bpm range since the way I learned to make beats was copying NE boom bap stuff. I mainly work in the 120-140 bpm range now though.

Actually just got some cool vsts and stuff I've been meaning to try but im dry right now mentally. So I've just been going back and retweaking mixes on some older tracks using shit I know now.

Was it you asking what BPM I work at? I can't remember if I answered you or not. A lot of my older/early shit was in the 90-100 bpm range since the way I learned to make beats was copying NE boom bap stuff. I mainly work in the 120-140 bpm range now though.

Actually just got some cool vsts and stuff I've been meaning to try but im dry right now mentally. So I've just been going back and retweaking mixes on some older tracks using shit I know now.

Yeah, it was me. A lot of my stuff says under 100 as well for that exact same reason haha the 90s type stuff, but I've been messing around with 120-140 a lot lately. Kinda of hard transition for me

I've been doing the same too, going back to my older stuff to make it sound more complete

Tokubetsu

Yeah, it was me. A lot of my stuff says under 100 as well for that exact same reason haha the 90s type stuff, but I've been messing around with 120-140 a lot lately. Kinda of hard transition for me

I've been doing the same too, going back to my older stuff to make it sound more complete

Idk if this will make sense for you but what helped me adust is, just because you're at 140bpm doesn't mean you have to be fast/relentless. You can be "slow" it just requires more space. Like 2 bars at 94bpm feels/looks like 6 at 140. You gotta start seeing bigger patterns lol.

I just cleaned this one up. It's not too old (a few months) and it's not really a rap beat but, you know:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4807221/notalone.mp3

Idk if this will make sense for you but what helped me adust is, just because you're at 140bpm doesn't mean you have to be fast/relentless. You can be "slow" it just requires more space. Like 2 bars at 94bpm feels/looks like 6 at 140. You gotta start seeing bigger patterns lol.

I just cleaned this one up. It's not too old (a few months) and it's not really a rap beat but, you know:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4807221/notalone.mp3

Hmm, actually yeah, that helps a lot. I just need to set myself in that mindset.

I fuck with that! Love that vinyl crackling sound(that's what it sounds like to me?) I was actually just looking for that i swear a hour ago haha

wenis

PSA:

oajaxxvtjt3.jpg

this shit is incredible.

tons of big drums and melting bass lines.

if you're looking for a short break from that sweet lil b tape you're probably rocking right now. this is a headphones album if you're feeling something downtempo for the night. blaze if you can.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom