• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTX| Long Live the Watcher

Status
Not open for further replies.

Esch

Banned
Is it backlash if you've been talking shit about it since day one. Also I think the basic structure and plot development of MKL does owe at least a nod to GKMC. People keep pointing out these specific details of the story that are different, but if you follow the story and the way the denouement unfolds the inspiration seems quite obvious to me.
Yeah sure. If people really think something is average or bad they mostly forget about it and move on tbh. Even when it comes to above average albums that happens (The Dreamer, The Believer for example) If people keep talking about it and it gets brought up over and over again there's usually more to that story than just the 'quality' of the music being discussed. As far as details in MKL vs. GKMC I think it's all just a matter of quibbling here and there, and I'm personally not that interested in coming through either album like that honestly. MKL is an average album. It's a compromise between a mild concept and your standard trap template banger album sensu 2 chainz or something.

People tolerate and ignore garbage. It's the semi high faluting stuff that gets critic types mad.

Tokubetsu

I like most of the Mustard songs on the radio, outside of Fancy. As I said I'm not hating on his music, however the fact that he won't admit his shit sounds the same is pretty funny to me. He's literally using the same melody on every track he produces.

Lex would have different string arrangements/patterns but the same 808s and drums underneath, track to track. I'd say that's more variety than what Mustard is doing. He says he's focused on longevity, I'll be watching to see how that works out.

MKL was praised tho?

Still the best thing I've seen written on it. Ignore the score (editors usually call that anyway) and the "masterpiece" in the title:
http://www.spin.com/reviews/yg-my-krazy-life/

Esch

Banned
You bring up any shit album I don't like enough and I'm gonna talk shit about it. I'm that cynical
Fair enough, I just don't see why MKL is 'shit' though, just a tame street rap album that has some cohesion sonically and a bit of a concept. I just think the criticism is based more off the attention it's got instead of any glaring crippling musical flaws.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Random thoughts on points people brought up:

Mustard beats are way too infectious, I agree. I can't help but want to get up and dance. And that feeling never goes away. I don't care where the influence comes from, the consistency is real and I don't get tired of the bounce. The songs are makings of classics for that very reason. The feeling/emotion is real. AL-A-ALL MY HOMIES GANGBANGERS

I think the GKMC comparisons are real as far as how the album is structured and the arc it takes, but I don't think it's trying to be GKMC exactly. The content, approach and story are different, but YG's story is so paper thin, you pretty much have to take it at face value just as you do every piece of music that comes from him. At least we're past whoever it was earlier in this thread that said that GKMC basically invented the whole getting out of the hood concept.

HiResDes

I just think it's corny overall, and honestly I think most of YG's attempts to be offer insight fall completely flat and sometimes even his gangsta persona seems too over the top to the point of coming off just cheesy. He sounds like he's doing accidental West coast trap satire.

Saying GKMC invented the hood tale is like saying Jay Z invented "started from the bottom/gutter now I'm on top" story. Noob shit.

GKMC: Boyz In The Hood
MKL: Menace II Society

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
You know something I've been thinking about?

Young Thug might just change hip-hop if he comes out as being gay/bi. Not that I'm implying he is gay, but obviously the rumours (and receipts?) are out there and it would be interesting to see the ripples across the industry, especially in terms of lingo and content. Charlamagne said it a while ago and he just recently brought it up again (which is why I bring this up) that a gay rapper would work if he's a street dude and talking that shit. Thug is easily the hottest thing in hip-hop right now. Between a few unintentional controversies and some solid songs that have cut through, everyone is talking about him and trying to attach their name to him when/if he blows up. And it seems like Flocka has pretty much confirmed how real Thug is in the streets too.

Do you guys think there would be a significant impact on hip-hop if he came out? It's the perfect set up right now.

HiResDes

You know something I've been thinking about?

Young Thug might just change hip-hop if he comes out as being gay/bi. Not that I'm implying he is gay, but obviously the rumours (and receipts?) are out there and it would be interesting to see the ripples across the industry, especially in terms of lingo and content. Charlamagne said it a while ago and he just recently brought it up again (which is why I bring this up) that a gay rapper would work if he's a street dude and talking that shit. Thug is easily the hottest thing in hip-hop right now. Between a few unintentional controversies and some solid songs that have cut through, everyone is talking about him and trying to attach their name to him when/if he blows up. And it seems like Flocka has pretty much confirmed how real Thug is in the streets too.

Do you guys think there would be a significant impact on hip-hop if he came out? It's the perfect set up right now.
I thought LE1Fs Hey EP was hella fly speaking of gay rappers.

Nope, I don't think there's room for a gay thug rapper. No matter how brolic Young Thug allegedly is in the streets his rep would disappear if he came out as gay. Trap rap requires a certain image IMO, I don't see how he'd survive. He gets away with wearing dresses because a lot of his fans are white or suburban.

Besides in a year or two we'll be introduced to a new gutter rat from ATL or Chiraq who takes over trap.

He gets away with wearing dresses because a lot of his fans are white or suburban.

Lol this is simply not true at ALL. First, he hasn't even tapped into that white or suburban base yet you should see what kind of places that dude still performs in. 2nd, people in Atlanta actually fuck with Thug and anyone who actually been to Atlanta in the past 4 years would say the stuff Thug does, doesn't really touch the rest of the shit you see there
I thought LE1Fs Hey EP was hella fly speaking of gay rappers.

Is it better than Fly Zone? I recall not really feeling that tape

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Nope, I don't think there's room for a gay thug rapper. No matter how brolic Young Thug allegedly is in the streets his rep would disappear if he came out as gay. Trap rap requires a certain image IMO, I don't see how he'd survive. He gets away with wearing dresses because a lot of his fans are white or suburban.

Besides in a year or two we'll be introduced to a new gutter rat from ATL or Chiraq who takes over trap.
I don't think his fans are majority white or suburban at all. I mean, he has been allegedly tearing up Atlanta already with what someone may call suspect behaviour etc. right? And if he comes out, all of the heavy hitters that support him already would support him (Jeezy, T.I., etc.). Most of the underground scene already treats him like a little brother, no?

Thug isn't solely trap rap either, similar content but his sound/style is much more flexible.

HiResDes

There are plenty of "subliminals" Thug puts in that would suggest he's at least bisexual. There's one line where he says he wants a guy's sauce and then he adlibs, "What?", as if he's fully aware of the lines implications.

big ander

Is it better than Fly Zone? I recall not really feeling that tape

Yeah definitely. thought Fly Zone was a dud on release and while I like it better now it's decidedly his worst. which is still v good.

Tree House >= Dark York > Hey >>> Fly Zone, but since the Hey EP is really just a teaser for his debut lp I'm thinking the proper first record will be his best work yet

Esch

Banned
Brehs, all that e3 talk y'all were doing and no one talked about how the greatest gaming genre is back:

These games have been in out in the open for literally years now. I'm looking forward to Star Citizen and Elite Dangerous. Also these games are all on PC mostly, so gaf hop with a few exceptions isn't gonna be up on them.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Brehs, all that e3 talk y'all were doing and no one talked about how the greatest gaming genre is back:

Case #2
No mans sky practically begs to be supported by Oculus and Morpheus. I hope they have a custom soundtrack feature so I can flip on something good in the ships cockpit and lay on the wing out in the orange forest of some planet and light up a fatty as I fall asleep in the wild.

Dereck

W.R.O.H (feat. Jmsn) [Explicit]

23:00

patrice.png

These games have been in out in the open for literally years now. I'm looking forward to Star Citizen and Elite Dangerous. Also these games are all on PC mostly, so gaf hop with a few exceptions isn't gonna be up on them.
Pretty much. I actually am going to upgrade my shit finally for these, because I absolutely love them. Hell I still spend time playing FreeSpace

coldvein

Banned
show review -

sleep: looks like a lesbian. raps so fast is almost unintelligible. spitter.

dolan: furious. character. not playing. fat. furious.spitter. obvious sage protege.

sage: old. eminent writer who is losing his ability to provide his writings live at age 40+. makes up for his fat/oldness with showmanship and stage presence. killed.

mountain goats: incredible.

coldvein

Banned
i have to walk by shit magazines about bullshit in the grocery store and now i have to see the covers again in gaf hop

awesome

get that shit out of here you fuck

Same. Gotta play dat Witcher 3 with decent performance too

lm replaying witcher 2 right now and it's as addicting as ever. god help me when the open world sequel comes out holy shit.

lmao @ the us weekly cover. french comes off as such a loser to the public with that.

Esch

Banned
No mans sky practically begs to be supported by Oculus and Morpheus. I hope they have a custom soundtrack feature so I can flip on something good in the ships cockpit and lay on the wing out in the orange forest of some planet and light up a fatty as I fall asleep in the wild.

IDK man, I'm not overly interested in that one. Games that are procedurally generated to that level are usually pretty boring, and I'm not feeling it aesthetically.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom