• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTX| Long Live the Watcher

Status
Not open for further replies.

PBY

Banned
Alright, now that I finally got my midi keyboard back I'm back to producing a bunch of shit. Sometimes it really is shit.

Anyway, here is something I came up with. Already have a few changes in mind, but not sure if I'll like those changes myself.

I'll have to check out that Open Mike Eagle, haven't listened to him in awhile. WHERE IS MILO

I listen to that mix too

whew

love the drums
love the sample that comes in at around 1:09
gonna give it the bass test tomorrow when the neighbors aren't sleeping

program used was?

whew

love the drums
love the sample that comes in at around 1:09
gonna give it the bass test tomorrow when the neighbors aren't sleeping

program used was?

Reason is still the only one I mess with. It resonated with me the most

Which sound are you talking about at 1:09? The siren like sound?

Cheddahz

Banned
i need to try reason, i've been playing with ableton, but i can't get anything down (but that just might be because i suck at music)

edit: i'm trying to go for something more house/electronic/ambient, so...

edit edit: i think count and overcast asked for this playlist/mix, but i posted it on soundcloud this morning, so go check it out (mostly japanese inspired stuff/japanese music/video game music/ryan hemsworth shit) - https://soundcloud.com/cheddahz/sets/72ezfsrns3na

Tokubetsu

Reason is cool but I couldn't quite ge tthe swing of it. I do like how it's essentially trying to replicate hardware. I like that.

CRS

This old breh, but amazing.

Oh... I checked out my Soundcloud feed and I hadn't heard of it before.

giphy.gif

Reason is cool but I couldn't quite ge tthe swing of it. I do like how it's essentially trying to replicate hardware. I like that.

Yeah, I like that as well. Really, I'm not even sure what originally pulled me in more than the other programs, but I love messing around in it a lot.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
I use reason as well. Just started messing with it again after months of neglect. You can definetly make it do some great things, especially if you take the time to learn the ins and outs. Personally I'm so fucking lazy and impatient I probably know how to use a fraction of the program. I can work the drum loops and the instrument creators just fine, but anything deeper that that like levels and mastering and mixing and what have you and it's like trying to use a computer Program that's written in fucking Romanian. And after renting a new apartment that has a real piano in it, trying to use my midi to make a piano loop is painful. I used to think the keys on my midi were pretty good, but even this old ass cheap Vietnamese piano is just night and day as far as key feel and response time. It's like mashing on mushy French fries with this damn midi keyboard.

Tokubetsu

I use reason as well. Just started messing with it again after months of neglect. You can definetly make it do some great things, especially if you take the time to learn the ins and outs. Personally I'm so fucking lazy and impatient I probably know how to use a fraction of the program. I can work the drum loops and the instrument creators just fine, but anything deeper that that like levels and mastering and mixing and what have you and it's like trying to use a computer Program that's written in fucking Romanian. And after renting a new apartment that has a real piano in it, trying to use my midi to make a piano loop is painful. I used to think the keys on my midi were pretty good, but even this old ass cheap Vietnamese piano is just night and day as far as key feel and response time. It's like mashing on mushy French fries with this damn midi keyboard.

Youtube and experimentation man. The best way I've found to learn (maschine at least), is to think of a sound I like, youtube it (say "how to make a chieef keef beat in maschine" shit like that). Watching the process they use and then graft that into what I already know. I'm a lot like you though (impatient and lazy). If I can't get a beat working, like even just barebones within an hour? I scrap it, maybe comeback to it in a few months when I learn something new. It's like problem solving haha.

siddx

Youtube and experimentation man. The best way I've found to learn (maschine at least), is to think of a sound I like, youtube it (say "how to make a chieef keef beat in maschine" shit like that). Watching the process they use and then graft that into what I already know. I'm a lot like you though (impatient and lazy). If I can't get a beat working, like even just barebones within an hour? I scrap it, maybe comeback to it in a few months when I learn something new. It's like problem solving haha.

Yeah I did a bit of that when I first started using the program. But at this point, like you said, if I can't get it how I want it to sound pretty quickly, I go all fuck this shit and just hit delete. I do love loading up an old beat I haven't worked in months and being like "holy shit I made that!? That's fucking awesome." It makes up for all the times i load up an old beat and go "what the fuck was I thinking?!"

Yeah I did a bit of that when I first started using the program. But at this point, like you said, if I can't get it how I want it to sound pretty quickly, I go all fuck this shit and just hit delete. I do love loading up an old beat I haven't worked in months and being like "holy shit I made that!? That's fucking awesome." It makes up for all the times i load up an old beat and go "what the fuck was I thinking?!"
I recall liking quite a few of the beats you made. My biggest flaw is most of the time making my shit sound complete. A lot of my stuff I can't really figure out what other sounds I should add so it seems very simple.

Tokubetsu

I recall liking quite a few of the beats you made. My biggest flaw is most of the time making my shit sound complete. A lot of my stuff I can't really figure out what other sounds I should add so it seems very simple.

Man, I'm still stuck in this phase haha. Which is why I always love sampling. Way easier to get the kinda soundscape I want sampling instead of adding more instruments. Unless imd efinitely going for a more uk electronic sound or something.

siddx

I know exactly what you mean. I'll make a great drum loop, get a good baseline, create a little piano or synth or strings loop and it will sounds great but there's something missing, the little details that fill in the sound and make it sound full and complete. Sometimes something as simple as a little distorted two note sound effect can do it. Or a cymbal crash at the right time. But often I just cant nail it down and it feels empty almost. I find it's also hard to judge a beat without lyrics sometimes. Often a beat that sounded great when I made it sounds like Shit with lyrics and vice versa.

Tokubetsu

I know exactly what you mean. I'll make a great drum loop, get a good baseline, create a little piano or synth or strings loop and it will sounds great but there's something missing, the little details that fill in the sound and make it sound full and complete. Sometimes something as simple as a little distorted two note sound effect can do it. Or a cymbal crash at the right time. But often I just cant nail it down and it feels empty almost. I find it's also hard to judge a beat without lyrics sometimes. Often a beat that sounded great when I made it sounds like Shit with lyrics and vice versa.

I'm learning a lot lately that a solid mix can help. Making sure everything kinda has it's own definite spot in the soundscape lets the whole thing come together in away outside of just certain things being louder than others etc. Subtle pan and eq/freq tweaking can go along way.

I actually remember reading a great engineering/mixing interview with MixedbyAli from TDE and he was saying he's so obsessive that he often tries to give every instrument/sample/fx it's own frequency range and go from there.

IrishNinja

glass animals eh

Infuriating but awesome. The first is one of the most rage inducing games I've ever played. The second is much more palatable and is a classic game.

see i watched my roomie play them both in the day and figured them for diablo with story, but everyone on gaming side hails 2 & makes me wanna give it a go, but if i recall the cast of 1 plays a part for uh...a very short period of the game too, so maybe i'll miss out a bit.

didn't one get an HD touch-up? is 2 looking to get the same treatment?

ps fuck i forgot anyone want a destiny alpha (PS4) code? shit ends like midnight i think but lemme know

Esch

Banned
see i watched my roomie play them both in the day and figured them for diablo with story, but everyone on gaming side hails 2 & makes me wanna give it a go, but if i recall the cast of 1 plays a part for uh...a very short period of the game too, so maybe i'll miss out a bit.

didn't one get an HD touch-up? is 2 looking to get the same treatment?

They released it on steam with a smidgen of extra content for 25 fucking dollars last year. A game that came out in the year 2000

Low End Theory Festival Day One Recap

Last night was incredible fellas. It's amazing to a see a community grow over time, and when I think of where Low End started and where it is now--a literal force in the music industry--I get real emotional. I never thought there would be a space like this for something I love when I was younger, let along a massively successful one that's taken over the soundscape of an entire city. And the first night of the inaugural Low End Theory Fest was fucking nuts.

A ridiculous 40 minutes of unreleased Jonwayne beats. This might've been the moment his sample game passed up everyone elses and became the best in the world

Dibia$e played a classic set and had The Echo about as packed as I've ever seen it

Flylo's new material debuted and set off an Echoplex room that was also as full as I've ever seen. And it was beautiful and gorgeous. It's going to take a monster record for someone to release something better than Flylo this year.

Nosaj had a spaced out DJ set for the ages, drunk girl climbing on stage and interrupting excluded

If you're in So Cal and can make it over to The Echo/Echoplex tonight you should be willing to murder someone to get a ticket tonight. SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL INSTITUTIONS

Furyous

What's the verdict on Locksmith's A Thousand Cuts? He's slept on to a ridiculous degree.

Que of OG Bobby Johnson fame, said he was influenced by Eminem. I've yet to hear any Eminem in his music.

What is this vapor trill mix I hear of?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom