• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTX| Long Live the Watcher

Status
Not open for further replies.

overcast

If you're in So Cal and can make it over to The Echo/Echoplex tonight you should be willing to murder someone to get a ticket tonight. SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL INSTITUTIONS
Would have definitely gone to this, but going to be in another state by tomorrow. Definitely going to hit up some of these events more this summer if possible.

Pretty safe to say that hip hop has different sounds at different points in time (gfunk, boom bap etc etc). Although if you really are stuck on one particular sound, nowadays there's a metric tonne of music available online and it's now much easier to discover.

Where do y'all see hip hop as a whole going over the next ten years? Easier question would probably be where would you like to see it go?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Pretty safe to say that hip hop has different sounds at different points in time (gfunk, boom bap etc etc). Although if you really are stuck on one particular sound, nowadays there's a metric tonne of music available online and it's now much easier to discover.

Where do y'all see hip hop as a whole going over the next ten years? Easier question would probably be where would you like to see it go?
I think everything is cyclical, and we're probably going to see it transition back to dance music based on some massive recent hits and the return of electronica to the forefront after a lull in the mid-to-late-00s, but the internet pretty much fucks up any predictability now since everyone can be a star and you can have so many concurrent, buzzing movements. And that's a beautiful thing. I'm not even sure if we'll ever see a breakout star like Drake again for that very reason, he might just be the last megastar unless some Chinese sensation starts ripping clubs up here.

What I want is a renaissance in NY, and I feel it's coming, but it looks like it's just getting further and further away.

Esch

Banned

We're in the Dibble Dabble experimentation period where the culture is now internally close to creative exhaustion and all the 'exciting' creative artists (Death Grips, Kanye West) ones who clumsily ram hip hop into other genres like a pastiche expecting to bear fruit. On the other hand you have the purest of traditionalists, who download tribute acts like Troy Ave waiting for the golden years to come back. Occasionally you'll get a Good Kid Maad City or The Nights Gambit or XXX. But the real answer is that hip hop will get merged into the electronic music earthmother from whence it came. It's already happened judging by everyone's fascination with maudlin wall of noise remixes.

So to answer your question:
All_Saints_Church%2C_Highweek_from_the_graveyard.jpg

Esch

Banned

Holy shit the gawd ripped that

http://www49.zippyshare.com/v/42930958/file.html

CDQ, full verses

EDIT: that hook is corny as hell but Jay's Cristo Redentor reference sold me on it :whew

Turn it up a bit more in the headphones
Check me out though, look
It’s cops to dodge in the city of God
To reach the goals of these soccer stars
There’s records to break, medals to take
Flags to wave, the city is ours
There’s ceilings to climb, the road winds
Only lights is those from a Beamer
It’s nice to pray in front of Christ the redeemer
If your God is bigger than my God up there
My God bigger than your God down here, whom shall I fear?
It’s foretold by the Lord, you know, most Bronx tales don’t end well
Especially when your own country treats you like an infidel
There's odds against it ends well
Don’t box me into the corner, I
Float like a butterfly, sting like Muhammad A
My training day I go too hard, ask Antoine Fuqua
I am Godzilla of these favelas, new God flow

i8iGTJj83LeQB.gif

Modoru

Hello~ this is my first time visiting the hop-GAF (though I've been visiting GAF on the sidelines for quite some time). I'm wondering if there's anyone from the trip-hop scene still around?
I'm a particular follower of the late Nujabes and all his associated MCs, but as far as I know, there's no new works on the way asides from Substantial and possibly CYNE. Hydeout seems to have changed massively with Takumi-san's takeover, as well.

I think I recall Uyama having something in the works, but there's no PVs to go on, other than some Instagram pictures he's posted. :C

Also,sorry to suddenly inject my topic here, I'm just genuinely curious since I found this thread. Thanks for your time.

PGamer

fucking juniors
Hello~ this is my first time visiting the hop-GAF (though I've been visiting GAF on the sidelines for quite some time). I'm wondering if there's anyone from the trip-hop scene still around?
I'm a particular follower of the late Nujabes and all his associated MCs, but as far as I know, there's no new works on the way asides from Substantial and possibly CYNE. Hydeout seems to have changed massively with Takumi-san's takeover, as well.

I think I recall Uyama having something in the works, but there's no PVs to go on, other than some Instagram pictures he's posted. :C

Also,sorry to suddenly inject my topic here, I'm just genuinely curious since I found this thread. Thanks for your time.

You might be interested in this thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=450225

Esch

Banned
That Jay verse did nothing for me. Don't like the flow at all, reminds me of some of Em's flows on MMLP2.

True it's not vintage jay, but it doesn't have that same say a line, pause, say auh, repeat type flow he always seems to be doing lately. Progress is progress

It's closest to the American Gangster flow but hey, that's straight with me. I also think the commercial is pretty dope itself (neymar the gawd)

Also, am I smoking crack or is this Lil Wayne @ :43 seconds

http://youtu.be/XVp-JDOUphc?t=41

HiResDes

1. Anthony couldn't have went and listened to too many of other projects, otherwise he would realize that a majority of his tracks are around 2 minutes in length.
2. Deadboy was also released within the 2014 timeframe, which I don't think Anthony realizes.
3. Bones has only been dropping tapes since 2011 I believe, which isn't that much longer than Yung Lean.
4. Lil Ugly Mane's vocals aren't actually pitched down much at all, the guy has a deep raspy voice.

Cudder

1. Anthony couldn't have went and listened to too many of other projects, otherwise he would realize that a majority of his tracks are around 2 minutes in length.
2. Deadboy was also released within the 2014 timeframe, which I don't think Anthony realizes.
3. Bones has only been dropping tapes since 2011 I believe, which isn't that much longer than Yung Lean.
4. Lil Ugly Mane's vocals aren't actually pitched down much at all, the guy has a deep raspy voice.

He couldn't have picked a worse Bones tape to listen to first, I'd agree with him that Teenwitch is trash. I listened to it maybe 1.5 times and never went back to it. I think if he actually went back into Bones' catalogue he'd find a shitload of tracks similar to ones he liked on Garbage.

Kwixotik

He couldn't have picked a worse Bones tape to listen to first, I'd agree with him that Teenwitch is trash. I listened to it maybe 1.5 times and never went back to it. I think if he actually went back into Bones' catalogue he'd find a shitload of tracks similar to ones he liked on Garbage.

The thing for me with Bones is that I know he has a lot of excellent songs, and I want to hear them, but there's just so much shit he releases that I don't have the motivation to wade through all of it looking for the good stuff.

first needledrop review I've watched in years--dude changes his look often, no?
he seems to have dropped the machine-gun editing & humor bits though. good on him.

anyways, what's everybody listening to these days? I've been out of the loop on 2014 and only a few things have really grabbed me from this year. I saw there is a Ka ep out but I just dropped a ton of money and I'll have to wait to buy it. definitely looking forward to that.

Tokubetsu

The thing for me with Bones is that I know he has a lot of excellent songs, and I want to hear them, but there's just so much shit he releases that I don't have the motivation to wade through all of it looking for the good stuff.

You make it sound like he's Lil B. Dude has like 6 tapes, no more than 200 songs and 75% of them are under 3 minutes.

Holy shit the gawd ripped that

http://www49.zippyshare.com/v/42930958/file.html

CDQ, full verses

EDIT: that hook is corny as hell but Jay's Cristo Redentor reference sold me on it :whew

Turn it up a bit more in the headphones
Check me out though, look
It’s cops to dodge in the city of God
To reach the goals of these soccer stars
There’s records to break, medals to take
Flags to wave, the city is ours
There’s ceilings to climb, the road winds
Only lights is those from a Beamer
It’s nice to pray in front of Christ the redeemer
If your God is bigger than my God up there
My God bigger than your God down here, whom shall I fear?
It’s foretold by the Lord, you know, most Bronx tales don’t end well
Especially when your own country treats you like an infidel
There's odds against it ends well
Don’t box me into the corner, I
Float like a butterfly, sting like Muhammad A
My training day I go too hard, ask Antoine Fuqua
I am Godzilla of these favelas, new God flow

i8iGTJj83LeQB.gif

I like how the bar is set so low for modern Jay that even wack stuff is praised because at least it's better than MCHG/BP3/WTT Jay. lol

HiResDes

first needledrop review I've watched in years--dude changes his look often, no?
he seems to have dropped the machine-gun editing & humor bits though. good on him.

anyways, what's everybody listening to these days? I've been out of the loop on 2014 and only a few things have really grabbed me from this year. I saw there is a Ka ep out but I just dropped a ton of money and I'll have to wait to buy it. definitely looking forward to that.
Antwon
Ratking
Goldlink
Freddie Gibbs & Madlib
Open Mike Eagle
G-side

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom