• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTX| Long Live the Watcher

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dereck

http://instagram.com/p/piZEkQv0J6/#

eBRAKbt.gif

Esch

Banned
Like being a c-list is such a bad thing. If you can eat without having a boss or some daily 9-5 grind you're winning at something (usually).
If you make music for money, and live off it, you usually have a boss and definitely have a money making 'lifespan'

:kanyeshrug

Like being a c-list is such a bad thing. If you can eat without having a boss or some daily 9-5 grind you're winning at something (usually).
But Ebro said if you aren't on the radio you ain't shit.

Bronson makes really good money. He'd make even more if he spent it better (say on the right publicist/manager instead of weed). Regardless he's in a great position and seeing more real money than Iggy and a host or other "relevant" artists.

Yeah. I don't fuck with Vic Mensa AT ALL, on any level but I can't deny he killed this track and then shot an even better video for it. Even little things like the text pop up stuff.

That's actuall a pet peeve of mine in modern shows. Like its 2014, everyone knows how texting works. Don't waste time showing me the phone, you can just display that shit on screen now. Save your 2nd unit director some time.

Side Note: His label is kinda failing him tbh. This is a great track/video but only has 800k views on yt? lmao. I'd be pissed on some calling my label/a&r everyday type shit. "Where is my push brehs? Least y'all could do is buy me an extra 500k views damn"
I feel the same exact way. Word for word breh

Furyous

If 150 people form a human wall and dare me to enter the building then I'm running as well.

I'm talking about Rick Ross leaving Detroit and getting banned from radio over not performing at a concert.

Tokubetsu

If you make music for money, and live off it, you usually have a boss and definitely have a money making 'lifespan'

:kanyeshrug

You're right. Life is a mostly shit grind and then we die. Even the "lucky" ones have to deal with other kinds of bullshit. The only purpose in life is the propegation of our species.

Yeaah, calling Bronson a c-list rapper seems like more of a reaction to the throwback music he makes than anything. In reality, he's cast a wider net than about 90% of everyone else in his class and has multiple fanbases -NY scene, hipster demographic, neo-backpacker-age -by the balls. Imo, the fact that his career still has legs while a lot of others (Rocky, Cole, Wale?) don't is a testament to his future longevity.

IrishNinja

bronson's awesome

If 150 people form a human wall and dare me to enter the building then I'm running as well.

I'm talking about Rick Ross leaving Detroit and getting banned from radio over not performing at a concert.

ross might be a punk but this no fly zone shit gotta be a joke - at this point detroit sounds fucked enough where it's not worth helpin em out, might as well be onto the next big city

PlayDat

I was looking up Pinata lyrics and came across the original Scarface for the first time. Song is dope.

I know it was 25 years ago, but what the fuck happened to this dude's voice? Nas still sounds like he's 18 2 decades after Illmatic.

Tokubetsu

Yeaah, calling Bronson a c-list rapper seems like more of a reaction to the throwback music he makes than anything. In reality, he's cast a wider net than about 90% of everyone else in his class and has multiple fanbases -NY scene, hipster demographic, neo-backpacker-age -by the balls. Imo, the fact that his career still has legs while a lot of others (Rocky, Cole, Wale?) don't is a testament to his future longevity.

I don't think we can call Rocky until he drops another album and Wale, despite no one like him is still the best selling MMG dude named Rick Ross. He last album did like 300k iirc and that's better than most artists out right now.

A better example for Bronson would be someone like Joey Badass. Hitting that 90s nostalgia vain but utterly failing to monetize out of w/e weed tour he does now. Joey does songs with J Dilla estate and still no one gives a shit. Meanwhile Action out here disrespecting women daily despite this giant new feminst wave (and fuck nostlagia rap wave) going on but still somehow cutting out a path.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Bronson is definitely C-List at very best. There are only a handful of A-list rappers and an abundance of B-List ones. C-List is probably as high as I'd give any non-mainstream rapper.

Tokubetsu

Ka
KRIT
Marciano
Shad
mad names im forgetting

futbol, cooking with bronson, and things which transpire when you roll up in a drop top chicken box
Marciano and Shad aren't even C list and I like the both of them just fine. A list...you gotta have platinum albums in the last 3-5 years OR you just have a huge profile/you're doing movies and still a house hold name (Your Ludacris & Ice Cubes). So that's a tiny fucking market.

B list is..pretty much everyone doing 300k-500k numbers right now which might be even smaller than the A list. This is your ASAP Rocky's and I guess Wale everyone though everyone hates him except lesbians.

C list is your Danny Browns and Action Bronson. They'll sell like 50k...tops but tour year round almost and drop multiple projects a quarter or year.

Then you have your Troy Aves and dudes who can only tour in Europe to eat. Definite a few artists that fall inbetween these lines.

IrishNinja

i completely forgot ya'll are only talking sales-age with these lists...nevermind then, that's not my game

i thought we were talking how nice dude is, cause he's well above C list there where it matters

IrishNinja

Sales have little to do with it. Sales are in the shitter for everyone. It's about presence in the game, just like how they refer to any other celebrity.

you're ranking MC's by relevance then, which is a reflection of sales, however bad they are for others. if you used virtually any other metric - style, flow, content, versatility, beat selection/etc - this'd be a very different (and more interesting) conversation.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
9-5 is a goddamn dream, not a negative. Can you imagine having a steady, decent paying job that is M-F, 9-5?

Shit, short of being wealthy, that's the dream.

Zekes!

Ayo GAF-Hop, been lurking for a minute now so I thought I'd say what up.

Musical Taste:
• Pick a coast to rep - East
• Favorite Artist -
Kanye
• Favourite producer - Can't decide
• Favourite album - Illmatic, Midnight Marauders
• What's in your playlist right now? - Antwon, Freddie Gibbs, Wild Nothing, Kool AD, Zazen Boys, Clipse

GAF-Hop Discusses:
• Rank Kanye's albums: College Dropout = MBDTF > Graduation >= Late Registration = Yeezus > 808's
• Who is the best Wu-Tang member? Ghostface
• Jay Z or Nas? Nas
• Biggie or Pac? Biggie
• Who is the most overrated/underrated emcee? Underrated: Masta Ace.
• Have you been known to eat ass?: Depends on the weather and the tilt of the Earth's axis

IrishNinja

Midnight Marauders? welcome, fam

9-5 is a goddamn dream, not a negative. Can you imagine having a steady, decent paying job that is M-F, 9-5?

Shit, short of being wealthy, that's the dream.

i feel you WW - but im not a morning dude; i just got off doing graveyard shift for 5+ years, so 2nd shift (3-11) or anything else where duty starts after noon works for me.

also decent pay is good, being paid more than my skill set calls for is best~

Fuck 9-5, if I could make what I'm making doing what I love I'd much rather be doing that...

i mean, of course doing your own thing would prolly be ideal for most, and i respect that but it's rather brave - for me, i love gaming, hip hop, comics etc to death but if i ever crossed those streams & tried to eat off them, i worry id end up broke and having lost one of my passions too. maybe if i could create something i'd feel differently.

IrishNinja

dreamcast brehs

also Conservative Rap Collation just namedropped Meyhem Lauren & Maffew Ragzino next to Bronson, Dopplegangaz & other stuff i dig, might have to look them up

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
50 drop down to a B-List or C-List nowadays?

On the topic of 50, Get Rich or Die Trying is one of the best work out albums ever. I just started getting back into working out and decided to listen to GRODT on Spotify and its some motevational music when you're doing pushups, pullups etc.

I don't think we can call Rocky until he drops another album and Wale, despite no one like him is still the best selling MMG dude named Rick Ross. He last album did like 300k iirc and that's better than most artists out right now.

A better example for Bronson would be someone like Joey Badass. Hitting that 90s nostalgia vain but utterly failing to monetize out of w/e weed tour he does now. Joey does songs with J Dilla estate and still no one gives a shit. Meanwhile Action out here disrespecting women daily despite this giant new feminst wave (and fuck nostlagia rap wave) going on but still somehow cutting out a path.

Agreed. Also Cole continues to sell well.

Look at some of the other dudes who rode that hipster backpack NY wave. Xquire's buzz has died for instance. Bronson was smart enough to tie himself to Alchemist, a move that introduced him to the Cali shit+Mac Miller. Now Bronson is set on both coasts, which means he can tour anywhere. Dude is even doing overseas spots like a boss.

Remember when Joey Badass wanted a 2mil deal? Shit is hilarious today. Troy Ave doesn't even have a single big song on YouTube yet has seemingly taken Joey's spot as the next big flop from NY.

Esch

Banned
You're right. Life is a mostly shit grind and then we die. Even the "lucky" ones have to deal with other kinds of bullshit. The only purpose in life is the propegation of our species.

Well if you wanna be a nihilist about it..

There's plenty to live for, tbh. Like your parents and siblings and maybe seeing the Hagia Sophia one day. It just sucks that for the most part you have to put all of that on hold for the grind. Either way you won't worry about it for long, increased automation in almost every field in the next 30-50 years will cause mass unemployment and necessitate a correction in our lifestyles and society. We can either become some type of egalitarian social type of country or some type of many/few Elysium type place. You'll either be in the lower class or the upper crust.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom