• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTX| Long Live the Watcher

Status
Not open for further replies.
gwzfB8Lef.gif

What made this project better is that my expectations for it were below the floor. There are some kinda ass tracks on it (Twact lol) but overall after first listen.. 8/10.

DominoKid

not sure wtf Twact is but I like that song.

edit: Just Have Fun lets me know that his brain isn't totally fried.

i give it a 5/10. there's a few tracks i like. WROH, Twact, Stigmata, Feelin Us, Just Have Fun, Nevermind That, Tree of Life

These positives reviews might just make me not listen to the album so I can continue hating on it without knowing better..

it's hard out here for a hater brehs
tocry.png

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Gonna wait until more critical ears check it out.

Count giving it a 8 means absolutely nothing to me.

I've got a couple new gifs to drop if it seems there's a positive consensus all around... let's just see what happens (I'm digging it so far, but only listened to like the first 4 tracks and went back to Batman Returns).

PBY

Banned
Gonna wait until more critical ears check it out.

Count giving it a 8 means absolutely nothing to me.

So heres the thing- its weirder (in a good way) than I thought it'd be, which gets points from me. The back end goes interesting places, but often kinda veers too far into that kind of territory and risks getting a little too indulgent (see, Closure).

The first half is more standard soulo, lyricism is fine, he has the druggie flow going.

Lets be real though- tentpole rap has been shit this year, we havent had anything to discuss. This is what we'll be talking about for a while.

We already established that at least two of HRD, Esch, and I cosign something it's guaranteed dope. And if HRD and thabiz cosign something it's the "good" type of oldschool shit.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
We already established that at least two of HRD, Esch, and I cosign something it's guaranteed dope. And if HRD and thabiz cosign something it's the "good" type of oldschool shit.

Lol. Come on. Des cosigns shit like two autistic Swedish exchange students rapping over unearthed Wesley Willis beats and Esch hates everything unless 10 people hate it, then it's a classic.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
J. Cole came with that production on Sapiosexual tho
whew.png

I really like the production but Soul yelling at LEMME FUCK YOUR MIND, LEMME HIT IT FROM THE BACK is making me cringe. He shouldn't be allowed to rap about anything even remotely sexual, it's just creepy. Cole should have kept that beat for himself.

Esch

Banned
Lol. Come on. Des cosigns shit like two autistic Swedish exchange students rapping over unearthed Wesley Willis beats and Esch hates everything unless 10 people hate it, then it's a classic.

stahp

I like plenty of stuff too, my top albums of this year are in line with everyone elses pretty much

peterb0y: I'll need receipts of me ever saying I liked a Slaughterhouse project.
trollxi.png

But that's why when two of us form like Voltron you know it's real. HRD likes all types of weird bandcamp shit, Esch would have cosigned St. Anger if Hov was on the vocals, yall know I'd fuck with boy bands if they sang over dirty ass drums...we all can't be trusted rolling dolo. Put us together and no one does it better

Esch

Banned
\ Esch would have cosigned St. Anger if Hov was on the vocals

rock/rap collabs
scusthov.gif

post-AJFA metallica
scusthov.gif

fuccouttahere

either way my taste is in line with plenty of gafhops; my top 4 of the year is Pinata, Welcome to Fazoland, So It Goes, and 1200 Bc. Most of GAF-Hop likes those albums. What i can't abide is flibbity-flabbity lazy cross genre collabs, maudlin sad shit

rock/rap collabs
scusthov.gif

post-AJFA metallica
scusthov.gif

fuccouttahere

either way my taste is in line with plenty of gafhops; my top 4 of the year is Pinata, Welcome to Fazoland, So It Goes, and 1200 Bc. Most of GAF-Hop likes those albums. What i can't abide is flibbity-flabbity lazy cross genre collabs, maudlin sad shit

I know how to rustle them jimmies breh
8ISIdcZ.png

esch the GOAT

Esch

Banned
I turned on These Days... and turned it off, just not doing it for me right now. Ill give it a listen later. Ab-Soul is just so grating with the corn and how he punctuates his mediocre lines like they're hilarious or super dope.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I like to give a record a little time to digest before I make any sweeping statements, but my first impression is that the diamond to turd ratio is definitely leaning heavily towards the latter. It definitely seems like an album where I'm gonna cherry pick a few songs for my phone and jettison the rest. Going through the whole thing again kinda sounds like a chore (pretty much felt the same about Oxymoron).

Ride Slow is the most inspired track by far, but that's mostly thanks to dark, gritty beat and Danny's feature. I like WROH w/ JMSN too, it kinda makes me wish their collab tape came out, but then again I dunno how much Herbert the Pervert I could handle. There's a few other pretty decent tracks like Kendrick's Interlude, Just Have Fun and Feeling Us, but that's all that's stood out to me so far.

The rest range from tolerable but unremarkable to boring and/or abrasive. Basically a continuation of what he's been dropping post-Control System.

Again, it's gotta digest a bit. Maybe it'll grow on me, Control System took some time but even so I can't see These Days as anything but a significant regression from that album.

Esch

Banned
Ab-Soul is definitely the kind of guy who says some shit like "I got that dope, I got that CHEEEEESE" and sits back in the booth like
8ISIdcZ.png
"I just killed that verse"

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
What hurts is that I legit root for the dude. I'm a borderline TDE stan but I just gotta be honest about the way I feel. 😔

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom