• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTX| Long Live the Watcher

Status
Not open for further replies.

Esch

Banned
Need your opinion on 3:50 minute mark on Feeling Us.

Not really surprising. I've heard references/concepts/lines flipped from a couple Jay-Z and Nas songs already on this album. It's whatever I guess. It's just weird that a conspiracy theory infowars reading DMT smoking third eye dude like Ab-Soul is taking bars and concepts from people. Usually these type of people are the kinds of dudes who balk at the idea of even paying homage to previous artists, let alone straight taking. It's just weird.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
WanderingWind gave it lots of praise, that was the first red flag. Actually listened to it and it is 0.01% less forgettable than I imagined it would be.

Will give it another listen to give a definitive yes/no, but basically if you changed your tune on this album after Ab-Soul's recent garbage-train of output, you're certainly ignoring a lot of the Soulo-isms that are still present on the album from the shitty series of songs that have came out before, including but not limited to: forgettable production, awkward oversexual content matter and lyrics and some very vanilla flows. There are definitely a few good songs on there, but overall feels pretty weak.

Esch

Banned
The production is goofy and overbearing in a forced epic way. Kinda reminds me of Eminem home production or something so far.

KWZzHEoAn.gif

This battle was lightweight the best thing on the album

I turned on These Days... and turned it off, just not doing it for me right now. Ill give it a listen later. Ab-Soul is just so grating with the corn and how he punctuates his mediocre lines like they're hilarious or super dope.

Dude's really not as smart as he thinks he is. For every clever line theres about 6 average to cringeworthy ones after.

Nitsuj23

Dude's really not as smart as he thinks he is. For every clever line theres about 6 average to cringeworthy ones after.

I think that's his problem. I'm a TDE stan too. I legitimately like the dude. Listened to him a lot my mid-college years. Druggies wit Hoes Again is the shit when you do in fact have extra pills. I've always liked he had the party side but could be intellectual/spit with substance too.

The third eye/infowars/DMT shit totally replaced any substance in his songs for me. Also, I hate hearing Ab-Soul talk about Steve Jobs... I follow tech (like I'm sure a lot of you do) pretty closely and work as a software dev so I just cringe hearing him talk about shit that he doesn't have a clue about (and I do). That one fucking bar about Steve Jobs taking his grandpas job and giving him one is so fucking corny. I know it's one line, but c'mon Ab-Soul, that wasn't just Steve Jobs. Just throw his name out there because he's the one guy you've read about. Guess they don't cover tech on infowars /rant

Esch

Banned
But the key to being a conspiracy theorist / smartdumb character is to pretend you know everything about everything, so you can polarize the world the 'normies' see as some sort of ludicrous delusion
propped up by the JEWSZZZSZSZ / Illuminati / Trilateral Commission / Bilderberg of course
. Vaccines? Fake, doctors and the pharmaceutical industry want to give your children autism and medicate you into a coma, it doesn't work. Try green tea extract or reiki therapy instead. Any world conflict? Fake, disseminated by the controlled media and if it's undeniably real, it's the CIA's fault. And then you apply it to everything.

Nitsuj23

But the key to being a conspiracy theorist / smartdumb character is to pretend you know everything about everything, so you can polarize the world the 'normies' see as some sort of ludicrous delusion
propped up by the JEWSZZZSZSZ / Illuminati / Trilateral Commission / Bilderberg of course
. Vaccines? Fake, doctors and the pharmaceutical industry want to give your children autism and medicate you into a coma, it doesn't work. Try green tea extract or reiki therapy instead. Any world conflict? Fake, disseminated by the controlled media and if it's undeniably real, it's the CIA's fault. And then you apply it to everything.

Hey breh like I'm totally not into organized religion everyone needs to just open up their third eye...

Cerity

Jesus, ab-soul what are you even doing. First impression is the entire thing sounds fried.

Gods reign was a pretty average start, could have dealt with it if the quality picked up afterwards. But it just dragged on and on, was about to stop after Just Have Fun and then that snippet came on so I stuck with it. Album went from terrible to average/decent. Kendrick's interlude was enjoyable, could have done without Kendrick shouting. The production at least on Sapiosexual was great, Stigmata sounded like wasted potential, Bronson doesn't feel right on it, dude needs to take better care of his vocal chords by the sound of it. Feeling Us and Ride slow were enjoyable, Danny and his chicken scratch was pretty grating but he normalised it at least. Other than the 2nd half of Just have fun, nothing I'd go back to yet.

TDE output this year; Cilvia Demo > Oxymorom > These Days...

Hellion

50 is in rare form if hes throwing L.A Reid name out there. This is why the industry hates him.

I first learned who reid was from the Pink video dissing him.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Zane Lowe interview with Rick Rubin. If you only care about the Yeezus stuff, it's at the start. Nothing new though, he says Kanye is the most consistently great person in music. Some good stuff about how Eminem structures his rhymes, and the most of it is general music conversation. At the end he mentions that Kanye is coming in the same day of the interview to explore vocal ideas.

Well, someone is trying to stay relevant
Even Jin did a freestyle.

JIN

Let's talk about how Kendrick Lamar's Interlude is absolutely (haha...no really) terrible.

This dude is yelling about essentially nothing off beat to some jazz in the background?
iwmWRHKftk6up.png
iAv11nuODCNoh.png

I'm sincerely starting to believe the pressure of following up GKMC has hurt this entire team.

Courage

Let's talk about how Kendrick Lamar's Interlude is absolutely (haha...no really) terrible.

This dude is yelling about essentially nothing off beat to some jazz in the background?
iwmWRHKftk6up.png
iAv11nuODCNoh.png

I'm sincerely starting to believe the pressure of following up GKMC has hurt this entire team.

Yeah, that whole track was fucking weird. Seems like Lamar is still riding the Slim Shady "look at how loud and crazy I am" wave.

Dereck

iwmWRHKftk6up.png
iAv11nuODCNoh.png

Yeah, that whole track was fucking weird. Seems like Lamar is still riding the Slim Shady "look at how loud and crazy I am" wave.
Kendrick let TDE down

PBY

Banned

iwmWRHKftk6up.png
iAv11nuODCNoh.png

Track was an insta-delete for me. I don't believe in the pressure stuff, but it just wasn't goood.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Damn...ab soul put out a better album than schoolboy q. I don't know what to believe anymore. The production on these days is what I expected on oxymoron and vice versa.

Tokubetsu

Damn...ab soul put out a better album than schoolboy q. I don't know what to believe anymore. The production on these days is what I expected on oxymoron and vice versa.

I was thinking this a few days ago. Ab-Soul is experimenting way too much with flows here and he's failing. Q should have been doing that, look at all the best stuff on HnC and most of them aren't just straight rap.

Ab-Soul should have given us the flat out rappity rap we got out of Oxymoron and Q should have given us more of the crazy highs like Nightmare On Figg St, Blessed etc.

Watch Kendrick drop the Soulo album we should have got...and Jay Rock delivers us with GKMC Pt. 2

Despite Soul's cringeworthy lines and possible attempt at deliberatly dumbing himself down, Nevermind That is actually a really good track.

I just wish it was a Ross solo or given to a rapper that would do it justice

Bishman

I'm listening to These Days right now. It doesn't have the same impact that I had when I listened to Control System. But I am only 5 songs in so far. I still gotta listen to rest of the album.

GAF and twitter don't sound positive, I'll check the Coli once my food is ready. TDE looking weak out chea? I definitely find it interesting that this album seemed to have very little hype or push. He's not on Interscope sure, but I remember when HnC came out and it was all over the blogs. Same with OD from Kendrick, pre Interscope. This thing feels like it was just thrown out.

Definitely seems like TDE isn't as good as we thought, crew wise. Rashad has the best 2014 output by far.

Cudder

GAF and twitter don't sound positive, I'll check the Coli once my food is ready. TDE looking weak out chea? I definitely find it interesting that this album seemed to have very little hype or push. He's not on Interscope sure, but I remember when HnC came out and it was all over the blogs. Same with OD from Kendrick, pre Interscope. This thing feels like it was just thrown out.

Definitely seems like TDE isn't as good as we thought, crew wise. Rashad has the best 2014 output by far.

TDE was always Kendrick Lamar and friends. Sure the other members have their signature "thing", but lets be real, no Jay Rock, Schoolboy Q, or Ab Soul release is going to be better than S80 or GKMC. At this point only Kendrick can outdo Kendrick (in his own camp)

Esch

Banned
I told yall, when GKMC came out and you guys were pretending Habits and Contradictions was anything but a C+ release, that it was Hov and the Roc part 2. The only difference is that dudes in TDE stand out because they have their own individual lanes instead of being collaborators. They're all not very good and play 3rd fiddle to Kendrick. End of story. If they weren't attached to him, they'd do Stalley numbers in terms of buzz at best.

Nitsuj23

I told yall, when GKMC came out and you guys were pretending Habits and Contradictions was anything but a C+ release, that it was Hov and the Roc part 2. The only difference is that dudes in TDE stand out because they have their own individual lanes instead of being collaborators. They're all not very good and play 3rd fiddle to Kendrick. End of story. If they weren't attached to him, they'd do Stalley numbers in terms of buzz at best.

lol hater, Q could make dough on his own. Would Stalley do Stalley numbers if he wasn't with MMG? every rapper is gonna find their crew. shit, Q and tyga were boys, who's to say he couldn't have been the next gudda gudda or mack maine lol... not really proving my point. let's just say he coulda been anyone from tyga, to big sean, to rocky, or maybe a gudda gudda but he'd still be able to make rap money. same can't be said for soul. he'd have a decent following in a halfway house maybe.

Esch

Banned
Truth be told, even Ab-Soul is a more interesting and standout artist than Q. Q is a slightly better songwriter (slightly) and Ab-Soul is slightly more interesting. But they'd both be in an internet landfill without Kendrick on their shit and the creative, impressive TDE production gallery powering their music and making them stand out. Maybe a couple downloads from people posting in this topic, like HiResDes and one or two others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom