• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTX| Long Live the Watcher

Status
Not open for further replies.

Esch

Banned
They just use too much. In the right quantities, yeah, great time. Can make you more creative. Can put you in the right mindset. But all day everyday? Just saps your ability to create. Drains your ability to think critically about yourself. Focus. Determination. Hunger. A desire to improve. External and internal motivation wanes. You need a balance and a lot of these dudes aren't finding it.

"Sometimes you might need to detox
It can help you with your rhyme flow and your beatbox"

How ironic in retrospect, coming from MF DOOM and Madlib, whose flabbyness and success were no doubt propagated by narcotics.

Bishman

that part is simple. Soul is only signed to TDE. Not Interscope like Q and Kendrick. And even then Interscope didn't get behind Q until they saw he was selling records.
Does everyone feel like the TDE team supported These Days like they did for GKMC and Oxymoron? It is pathetic that Ab-Soul had to threaten to leak his own album. I know he isn't signed to interscope. Still doesn't male sense or maybe I am underestimating the power of major labels.

Tokubetsu

Meanwhile, Mac Miller takes drugs and gets better

:)

Yea but Mac is in that lane with Earl where they're constantly hanging out and feeding off of other talented dues. Who is TDE feeding off of? I doubt Kendrick is there for any of these sessions. Ab-Soul has a battle track with a rapper who has spawn face tattoo...I own a box that is a quarter Spawn comics and I still wouldn't want to be caught dead assosciated with a dude who would tat spawn designs on his face.

Soul has a very similar cadence to Lupe, especially in the way he pauses after bars. But as others said, most of the time it's just stupid shit. Not even smart dumb stuff...just bad, almost Papoose-esque punchlines. Basically instead of doing it like Lupe at his best, he's constantly replicating this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1Et1siZhTk

I've been arguing about that song for almost a decade brehs. You can go on and on about how "great" it is lyrically but it's a bad song that doesn't work sonically. And that's pretty much Soul for you.

I loved him on the Section 80 interlude, and CC has some tracks I really dig. But he tries way too hard.

Ab-Soul is still a talented rapper. I want to know why These Days is not getting the same push as GKMC and Oxymoron.

Did TDE even focus on These Days either?
Everyone go right now and play Control System. Right when you hear that intro, you know that album is going to be a focused, cohesive project.

Now everyone is going to shit on Ab-Soul, which isn't fair. Kendrick is a mixture of Jay Rock, Q, and Ab-Soul who can craft amazing songs. Kendrick songwriting ability is what stands him apart from the rest of TDE.

Q is talented too. He has the most charisma in the group. It has been evident since HnC and his features. He isn't going to have trouble carving out a segment in the mainstream.

Jay Rock will be fine once his album drops.

Ab-Soul needs TDE to be 100% focus on him like they did for Kendrick. Control System should have been Soul album debut. Then I am pissed off that Ab-Soul could never release Unit 6 with JMSN. It would have kept his momentum going after the release of Control System.

Fuck all these labels man. Ab-Soul is still dope. Hopefully his next project is more focused and cohesive like Control System.

Your questions remind me of this article.

Top Dawg did say that Soul's major debut album will be coming next year.

Kendrick did say something really smart in an interview about how success has been treating him, something around the lines of; If you were a drug addict before the money, you're just going to be 10x the drug addict after the money. Interviews here.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
The panel with Kanye is probably the most grueling interview of all time.

I want to shoot whoever introduced Kanye to Steve Jobs and "palette of taste."

mad quotables and intangibles doe

Esch

Banned
Life is cruel. Right as I was typing out and reading these posts about drugs I found out yet another one of my college buddies is dead from drug abuse. Used to go right to his place after classes, read a chem chapter, smoke a little bong, play with his dog, lay in the sun.

If there's people in your life who you care about, and you know they're in a bad place, don't just sit back and let them do them. Sit them down and break bread with them, before you can't get them back.

cdyhybrid

Kendrick did say something really smart in an interview about how success has been treating him, something around the lines of; If you were a drug addict before the money, you're just going to be 10x the drug addict after the money. Interviews here.

Ah nice, they're at The Gorge. Heading over there Friday morning.

Edit: Sorry to hear that Esch. My condolences.

Life is cruel. Right as I was typing out and reading these posts about drugs I found out yet another one of my college buddies is dead from drug abuse. Used to go right to his place after classes, read a chem chapter, smoke a little bong, play with his dog, lay in the sun.

If there's people in your life who you care about, and you know they're in a bad place, don't just sit back and let them do them. Sit them down and break bread with them, before you can't get them back.

Damn man. Sorry to hear.

Good advice for everyone to follow. Shouldn't have had to come from something like this, but good advice.

IrishNinja

damn esh, sorry for your loss my dude. wish i could take your advice but i sat back & lost a friend a year back or so to the same, won't do the same again for what it's worth

Interesting argument but Soul hasn't put out anything better than The Cool, Food & Liquor, Rip The Jacker, The Psychic World of Walter Reed, Revolutionary Vol 2, and a host of other conspiracy or smart dumb nicca rap...

Edit: I wish I was able to enjoy Lupe Fiasco. Feels like I missed out on something. I literally can't listen to him. Something about his delivery or overall artistic tone is just abhorrent to me. I can't really put it into words.

enjoyed the exchange - can't chime in till i sit down with soul's new shit but wanted to cosign these going in anyway

Meanwhile, Mac Miller takes drugs

fixed - ya'll mac stans need to link to something to change my mind for real

How ironic in retrospect, coming from MF DOOM and Madlib, whose flabbyness and success were no doubt propagated by narcotics.

okay i love DOOM bu there's no denying the love handles - Madlib just put out Pinata tho

Esch

Banned
That's the third friend I've lost inside a year to drug abuse, and is a major reason I've been rejecting all the sad boy druggie shit. Much like gangster shit, this isn't a fucking game. Propagating this kind of behavior, and cosigning it, has real life consequences. I'm not saying don't do them, because I certainly have. But seriously, watch yourselves. Even if you use drugs and alcohol, you should never become comfortable with the idea of doing them. They're a spice of life, not the meat. All this pill popping shit is fun and games, just like acting out hard, until people are dead.

Sorry to bring everyone down.

DominoKid

sorry Esch. i cant imagine how hard that must be.

Complex Top Albums of the year so far
1. YG - My Krazy Life
2. Lana Del Rey - Ultraviolence
3. Pharrell - Girl
4. Popcaan - Where We Come From
5. Sam Smith - In The Lonely Hour
6. Schoolboy Q - Oxymoron
7. St Vincent - s/t
8. Future - Honest
9. Little Dragon - Nabuma Rubberband
10. Gordon Voidwell - Bad Etudes
and so on...

overcast

Goddamn. I'm sorry Esch. I do often wonder about whether or not some of the people around me are just too far gone.

Complex list is discustin, but I didn't click on it cause what else is expected.

Also, a bit on topic, I feel like the chemistry between the main 4 at TDE is great.. With the exception of Soul. It all just strikes me as Soul being an outcast and depressed. Don't think he is really part of the group, and wouldn't be surprised if he was the first gone. Whole group seems ho hum on this release. Haven't listened to the album yet, sad to hear yelling Kendrick is still alive.

PBY

Banned
Goddamn. I'm sorry Esch. I do often wonder about whether or not some of the people around me are just too far gone.

Complex list is discustin, but I didn't click on it cause what else is expected.

Also, a bit on topic, I feel like the chemistry between the main 4 at TDE is great.. With the exception of Soul. It all just strikes me as Soul being an outcast and depressed. Don't think he is really part of the group, and wouldn't be surprised if he was the first gone. Whole group seems ho hum on this release. Haven't listened to the album yet, sad to hear yelling Kendrick is still alive.

Wait why is the Complex list so bad? Haven't listened to #10, but I fucked heavily w/ all the other albums except maybe Sam Smith's (I go back and forth on Pharell's).

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace

My condolences Esch. Keep ya head up brother.

I've been fortunate to not lose any friends in my life yet, but I don't even want to think about it.

T Dollarz

My condolences Esch. I couldn't imagine what it would be like to lose a friend.

First listen through the new Soul was super meh from me. Most was straight ass to be honest, with a few standout tracks. Tree of Life was the best for me. And why was Kendrick yelling on that song?? It should've been his Section.80 flow. Shit was a callback to Ab-Soul's Outro. His yelling schtick is getting really grating. Also, Bronson totally mailed in that verse. Control System was an album that grew on me a lot, but most of this is just bad hooks and Soul lacking any charisma but somewhat trying to while at the same time just being weird and depressing. I don't know, man. Just not feeling it.
Cilvia Demo > Oxymoron > These Days...

Nitsuj23

All this pill popping shit is fun and games, just like acting out hard, until people are dead.

Real talk. Sorry for your loss man.

I've seen more pill popping amongst friends in my day, don't know anyone gang banging... just to clarify. Still agree 100%. Hated the recent Molly trend in music. And I've used/enjoyed Molly. It's frustrating to hear "studio rappers" (for lack of a better term) glorify that stuff while they're not living life anything like their music. Then kids who don't know any better OD or cause lifelong damage. Was really glad the GOAT Kendrick said something about it.

Bishman

dangeroo kipawaa TDE ✔ @dangerookipawaa
Follow
“@TrayyDawg626: @dangerookipawaa why no deluxe tracclist ?” <--- he will on his major release next yr...
10:20 PM - 18 Jun 2014

That makes me feel better. Ab-Soul probably forced TDE hand with this album. We will probably see TDE fully backing his album like GKMC and Oxymoron with his major album debut.

@Esch I'm sorry to hear that.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Listening to this Soul album again, and I'm getting the sort of forced rhyming complaints now.

Like, he piques my interest talking about how the love of his life died and then goes into some corny metaphor, like wat.

IrishNinja

okay i grabbed Jay Rock's shit on ya'lls recommendations (most tracks namedropped were on it), where to start with Rashad?

post-AJFA metallica
scusthov.gif

i know it's not the same as AFJA or RTL but i never get the hate for self-titled/black album, it's solid shit. Reload or whatever's direction getting shat on i get, even if i dig a track or two

Esch

Banned
i know it's not the same as AFJA or RTL but i never get the hate for self-titled/black album, it's solid shit. Reload or whatever's direction getting shat on i get, even if i dig a track or two

I can't speak for casuals, but I hate the S/T and Load/ReLoad because of what it gave birth to. Those albums collectively inspired a decade of some of the worst fucking trash music known to man called 90s hard rock; Creed, Nickelback etc. Thrashers hated it because Metallica were the biggest bastion of metal culture in the mainstream and they recorded BALLADS, which were seen as one of many the horrible horrible sins of 80s quiet riot glam butt metal.

There's an analogue album in death metal. At the Gates recorded one of the best metal albums ever in The Red in the Sky is Ours (seriously, top 1-15), and then after they reached their technical peak in a followup and lost some members, they released Slaughter of the Soul which inspired (along with some shitty work by Carcass) a decade of shit metalcore music like August Burns Red, Between the Buried and Me, Bullet for My Valentine, etc. It had MTV hits and shit too.

theres an analogue in almost every subgenre of metal.

overcast

Wait why is the Complex list so bad? Haven't listened to #10, but I fucked heavily w/ all the other albums except maybe Sam Smith's (I go back and forth on Pharell's).
Really don't like probably 6 of those, and haven't listened to 3. Only one I love is St. Vincent.
okay i grabbed Jay Rock's shit on ya'lls recommendations (most tracks namedropped were on it), where to start with Rashad?
Just grab Cilvia Demo and you're good.

IrishNinja

that's a pretty interesting take...i mean, i can see load/RE but the gap between self-titled and Creed type shit seems a bit wide by me. that said, i don't think ive binned an album quite as fast as St Anger in forever.

ive known/dated metalheads & been forever told about the endless guitar talent & i respect shit but it was never my bag.

Just grab Cilvia Demo and you're good.

done and done, thanks cast

Enter Sandman is the We Will Rock You of metal. Arena anthem that always manages to illicit the exact same cock-rocking emotions whenever it's played. It's invasive and I won't have anything to do with it. That being said I harbor no ill will towards their self-titled; looking back it's derivative tripe but it was pretty much the album that got me not only into metal but into a more active role in searching for music/exposing me to something other than the top 40, so :salute.

/controversial opinion: Load and ReLoad were imo, good albums...or at least had enough interesting tracks between them that you could make a good album from. Releasing them under a different name than Metallica would've been better for the albums' reception, the band, and the fans.

Edit: and c'mon breh, how many bands were taking notes from Load/ReLoad? What was the best selling single between the two? The Memory Remains? The copypasta post-grunge bands drew influence from self-titled, along with Nevermind and whatever Pearl Jam and Soundgarden were doing (memory eludes me). Nu-metal pretty much did the same thing but with Vulgar Display and Rage Against the Machine.

Esch

Banned
Enter Sandman is the We Will Rock You of metal. Arena anthem that always manages to illicit the exact same cock-rocking emotions whenever it's played. It's invasive and I won't have anything to do with it. That being said I harbor no ill will towards their self-titled; looking back it's derivative tripe but it was pretty much the album that got me not only into metal but into a more active role in searching for music/exposing me to something other than the top 40, so :salute.

/controversial opinion: Load and ReLoad were imo, good albums...or at least had enough interesting tracks between them that you could make a good album from. Releasing them under a different name than Metallica would've been better for the albums' reception's, the band, and the fans.

My man. I'll actually agree with you on load/reload quality wise. They're inoffensive bluesy rock cuts that are a little overbearing. That's the thing though; they're not exactly shit. Just like Swansong and Heartwork aren't shit. But they did create and inspire shit, in my opinion.

Does everyone feel like the TDE team supported These Days like they did for GKMC and Oxymoron? It is pathetic that Ab-Soul had to threaten to leak his own album. I know he isn't signed to interscope. Still doesn't male sense or maybe I am underestimating the power of major labels.

Yeah sure, it's everybody but Ab-Soul's fault that his album is underwhelming. When his work has been average at best for a while now.

EDIT: Load and ReLoad were good but the problem is two things: It wasn't Metal, and Metallica fans will hate everything.

EDIT: Load and ReLoad were good but the problem is two things: It wasn't Metal, and Metallica fans will hate everything.
I remember watching a VH1 Behind the Music (
snoop.png
) a couple years ago where Hetfield was talking about fan backlash. (Paraphrasing) "We used to hear, 'You sellouts,' from the fans, 'We're done supporting you,'" He was talking about the fucking music video to One
dead.png
. Not only does that demonstrate general metalhead neckbeardery, it perfectly encapsulates how oblivious these guys were to outside opinions. I mean just look at this shit:

Wikipedia said:
The album debuted at number one in ten countries, and spent four consecutive weeks at the top spot of the Billboard 200, making it Metallica's first album to top album charts. As of April 2014, the album has stayed over 300 weeks on the Billboard charts, making it the album with most weeks on the chart of all time. Metallica is the group's best-selling album, selling 30 million copies worldwide. It is the best-selling album of the SoundScan era. The album was certified 16× platinum by the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA) in 2012, and has sold over sixteen million copies in the United States, being the first album in the SoundScan era to do so.
That is fucking insane. How do you bring yourself to care about the whims of your old fanbase after you crush the buildings like that?

IrishNinja

Edit: and c'mon breh, how many bands were taking notes from Load/ReLoad? What was the best selling single between the two? The Memory Remains? The copypasta post-grunge bands drew influence from self-titled, along with Nevermind and whatever Pearl Jam and Soundgarden were doing (memory eludes me). Nu-metal pretty much did the same thing but with Vulgar Display and Rage Against the Machine.

i was gonna say Fuel but i honestly don't recall
so you're upping the ante & saying Creed/Nickelback are the result of self-titled as well as what, nevermind & i guess vitalogy? i guess that's what i'm saying: using your example, we can agree that nu-metal wasn't awesome but i'd find it strange faulting a great band like RATM for that, that shit clearly wasn't at all what they intended.

and yeah metallica fans might hate everything but fuck if their favorite band didn't fully end up embodying the bullshit baby boomer mindset in the end, to quote carlin...that shit has to sting

New Shabazz Palaces-#Cake

yo what? eatin

cdyhybrid

Yeah, I can see being displeased that a change in direction for a good band spawned a bunch of shitty ones, but I can't fault them for other people being bad at music.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Listened to These Days again:

Good songs:
Second half of Just Have Fun

Okay songs:
God's Reign
Closure
Stigmata

Every other song is either corny, has abysmal production, does not play to Ab-Soul's strengths as an MC, or likely all of the above.

I feel like half of the songs on this album all use the same few drums. And not in a good way because of the type of production on here. The Kendrick verse was terrible, not just because he was yelling, it sounded like a freestyle. And since when is an interlude 5 fucking minutes? That track makes me feel like TDE forced him to put it in. Also he lost to Daylyt pretty bad.

i was gonna say Fuel but i honestly don't recall
so you're upping the ante & saying Creed/Nickelback are the result of self-titled as well as what, nevermind & i guess vitalogy? i guess that's what i'm saying: using your example, we can agree that nu-metal wasn't awesome but i'd find it strange faulting a great band like RATM for that, that shit clearly wasn't at all what they intended.
I was thinking Fuel but Lo and Behold. Iy was the last single of the Load/ReLoad era, seems like people were pretty much done with altMetallica.

And I include RATM mainly for the rap/rock influence, which the nu-metal scene was so saturated with for those first ~6-7 years (I guess you could throw Faith No More and early Chili Peppers in that same hat). I'll echo Esch's sentiment: you don't have to be shitty at what you do to be indirectly responsible for something shitty,

IrishNinja

had no idea Memory was the biggest one off that, i forgot that era completely...huh.

And I include RATM mainly for the rap/rock influence, which the nu-metal scene was so saturated with for those first ~6-7 years. I'll echo Esch's sentiment: you don't have to be shitty at what you do to be indirectly responsible for something shitty,

i really can't follow the logic here: as hip hop fans, most of ya'll got dudes (living and dead) in your top 10 who did classic shit, and then someone jacked that beat/style/whatever and created some grade-A fuckery. this isn't the OG's fault; you created a beautiful garden, and some swaggerless knucklehead came in and said "yeah this is nice, but the world needs more compost."

TL;DR - T.R.O.Y is still the definition of a classic track despite Lupe's best efforts. If Troy Ave goes in on/mediocres up Crooklyn Dodgers next week, that's not on Chubb/Jeru/etc.

I'd guess Soul's girlfriend committing suicide during the period he recorded Control System is probably one of the underlying reasons for this. I never felt like he didn't fit in, but he's just been in a very weird place the past year or two.

Sorry for your loss Esch, can't imagine what that feels like. So grateful my friends don't go as hard as they did in undergrad with drugs.

I remember watching a VH1 Behind the Music (
snoop.png
) a couple years ago where Hetfield was talking about fan backlash. (Paraphrasing) "We used to hear, 'You sellouts,' from the fans, 'We're done supporting you,'" He was talking about the fucking music video to One
dead.png
. Not only does that demonstrate general metalhead neckbeardery, it perfectly encapsulates how oblivious these guys were to outside opinions. I mean just look at this shit:

That is fucking insane. How do you bring yourself to care about the whims of your old fanbase after you crush the buildings like that?

Plus they're old, successful dudes now. Thrash is for teen/twenty something angst.

Oh, and These Days is mediocre.

I can't speak for casuals, but I hate the S/T and Load/ReLoad because of what it gave birth to. Those albums collectively inspired a decade of some of the worst fucking trash music known to man called 90s hard rock; Creed, Nickelback etc. Thrashers hated it because Metallica were the biggest bastion of metal culture in the mainstream and they recorded BALLADS, which were seen as one of many the horrible horrible sins of 80s quiet riot glam butt metal.

There's an analogue album in death metal. At the Gates recorded one of the best metal albums ever in The Red in the Sky is Ours (seriously, top 1-15), and then after they reached their technical peak in a followup and lost some members, they released Slaughter of the Soul which inspired (along with some shitty work by Carcass) a decade of shit metalcore music like August Burns Red, Between the Buried and Me, Bullet for My Valentine, etc. It had MTV hits and shit too.

theres an analogue in almost every subgenre of metal.

As much as I like grunge, I would blame Nirvana for that more so than Metallica. As far as Nu Metal goes, Blame Metallica and 90's rap.

Also, sorry to hear about your buddy. I had a friend die last year from similar cases. It's tragic, and don't go blaming yourself. Men do as they do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom