• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTX| Long Live the Watcher

Status
Not open for further replies.

CoolOff

Still spinning that Nitty Scott-album. I think it ties with Pinata for my favourite so far this year, and GAF is sleeping.

That Shabazz-song is dope as fuck.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I get why some of y'all don't like the Soul record. It scratches that itch for that introspective shit we just haven't had this year, especially on production like this.

Kendrick does need to stop yelling so much though and put out a goddamn record before people forget him.

I remember watching a VH1 Behind the Music (
snoop.png
) a couple years ago where Hetfield was talking about fan backlash. (Paraphrasing) "We used to hear, 'You sellouts,' from the fans, 'We're done supporting you,'" He was talking about the fucking music video to One
dead.png
. Not only does that demonstrate general metalhead neckbeardery, it perfectly encapsulates how oblivious these guys were to outside opinions. I mean just look at this shit:

That is fucking insane. How do you bring yourself to care about the whims of your old fanbase after you crush the buildings like that?

Metal fans suck in general and have some of the lowest music IQs amongst fans of any genre. AJFA is a hard fucking record. Even the Black Album isn't some pussy album, I'll never understand the "sell out" calls for that shit when it features some of their hardest riffs.

Cheddahz

Banned
god damn esch, i'm sorry for your loss. i have a friend that i grew up with who is mad heavy into drugs and i've told him a few times he needs to cut it out (seriously, his life goal is to get "fucked up" and he has gotten one of my other friends into it as well). i hung out with him and the other friend that has gotten into it a few weeks ago and it was a miserable time, just because i realized that i've grown up ever since we graduated high school and they haven't. having "fun" is cool every once in a while, but don't make it your life

Esch

Banned
Metal fans suck in general and have some of the lowest music IQs amongst fans of any genre. AJFA is a hard fucking record. Even the Black Album isn't some pussy album, I'll never understand the "sell out" calls for that shit when it features some of their hardest riffs.
Don't chime in on shit you don't know about.

It's not about how 'hard' something is. It's about the structure, the composition. And The Black Album was a simplified version of their previous work. Can't blame them, they lost their major writing talent in Cliff and only had so much time left before they became mediocre anyway. Metallica was never the smartest band though. They had occasional flashes of brilliance here and there (Orion, etc). But they were basically a band with a knack for bridging NWOBHM to the hardcore punk audience.

Goddamn, clearance section at Amoeba Music + nostalgia is a dangerous combination. I haven't bought CD's in forever

10464284_10100976085029824_5010572056882886144_n.jpg

-I have a feeling this Backbone album will be terrible, but I gotta complete my Dungeon Family collection.

-NERD album sounds weird compared to the one I'm familiar with (I think the import is all live instruments?)

-I've been meaning to listen to this Nappy Roots album for like 10 years

-"Georgia" still bangs

-did Busta really think the world was gonna end? Like, for real for real?

-The Streets "Could Well Be In" is still strangely one of my favorite storytelling tracks

-I wonder if Bubba still living off that Ms. New Booty money

Don't chime in on shit you don't know about.

It's not about how 'hard' something is. It's about the structure, the composition. And The Black Album was a simplified version of their previous work. Can't blame them, they lost their major writing talent in Cliff and only had so much time left before they became mediocre anyway. Metallica was never the smartest band though. They had occasional flashes of brilliance here and there (Orion, etc). But they were basically a band with a knack for bridging NWOBHM to the hardcore punk audience.

That article proves what exactly. :trollbron:

and metal fans smell worse than other music fans.

Esch

Banned

I'm just saying; you'd think that you'd have a little more self awareness given that you're a rap fan. People insult your intelligence and your chosen 'music' all the time.

And I'm not concerned with how dudes smell, really. I know how extremely important dudes are to you though
troll.png

Tokubetsu

Can you imagine PD at a house show? He would die from the stench. Then some crust punks would wander in looking for beer and he'd resurrect just to die again.

Goddamn, clearance section at Amoeba Music + nostalgia is a dangerous combination. I haven't bought CD's in forever

10464284_10100976085029824_5010572056882886144_n.jpg

-I have a feeling this Backbone album will be terrible, but I gotta complete my Dungeon Family collection.

-NERD album sounds weird compared to the one I'm familiar with (I think the import is all live instruments?)

-I've been meaning to listen to this Nappy Roots album for like 10 years

-"Georgia" still bangs

-did Busta really think the world was gonna end? Like, for real for real?

-The Streets "Could Well Be In" is still strangely one of my favorite storytelling tracks

-I wonder if Bubba still living off that Ms. New Booty money

joyful rebellion in a jewel case? weird. here in Canada the album was released in a cardboard paper type packaging. I own this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Joyful-Rebe...261424830116?pt=Music_CDs&hash=item3cde2256a4

I bought it when it first came out though... maybe it was re-released or something.

Esch

Banned
Can you imagine PD at a house show? He would die from the stench. Then some crust punks would wander in looking for beer and he'd resurrect just to die again.

PD leaving the house and interacting with large crowds of people? Large crowds are scary. They're sweaty, horny, angry, drunk breh. That's not what the gawd PD is about. Give him a live stream, a bucket of Mike's Hard Lemonade on ice, and some catered Olive Garden.

Cudder

rap fans and metal fans smell the exact same when they're at concerts, like weed.

it always seemed so juvenile to me that there's been this divide/animosity between fans of metal and fans of rap. they do the exact same shit as the other camp does.

WanderingWind

rap fans and metal fans smell the exact same when they're at concerts, like weed.

it always seemed so juvenile to me that there's been this divide/animosity between fans of metal and fans of rap. they do the exact same shit as the other camp does.

No, that's country and rap.

Guns? Check.
Talking about shit they ain't got? Check.
Focused on racial and social issues? Check.
People talking about the old, real version before it all got wussified? Check.
A black man as the undisputed top of the game? Check.
Dead, venerated legends name dropped in every other song? Check?
Talking about their vehicles all the fucking time? Check.

The shit is the same exact music.

PBY

Banned
"I think that the world can be saved through design. What's the most distasteful thing you can do? Kill someone. So to have good taste is the opposite of that."

tumblr_mjz2kv3YP11r5m9qjo1_400.gif
Had to stop the video and run it back like 3 times after that. The moderators reaction lmaoooooo.

The whole thing is amazing.

IrishNinja

Kendrick does need to stop yelling so much though and put out a goddamn record before people forget him.

he put out a modern classic like...a year and a half ago

some spoiled honors/AP herbs dig it? that was your point?

Metallica was never the smartest band though.

funny, i thought life decisions & success were important metrics for you
lV2kE.png

haven't really fucked with discs in forever but this is a great haul for that price man! and i don't recall if busta actually believed that or not...i forget, was he 5%? cause ive found that if the answer is "yes" you can pretty much assume most conspiracies were bought

this was you? i dug this man

No, that's country and rap.

Focused on racial and social issues? Check.

well

Esch

Banned
GOAT crowd: Saint Louis Opera; quiet, well dressed, respectful, great commentary during the intermission.

WOAT crowd: Inspectah Deck. So many corny dudes smelling like shit, hammered, yelling about real hip hop. Unsociable assholes.

WanderingWind

I didn't say they were both on the right side of social issues, Ninja. Just that they both had their take on them...

Like, the KKK used to be very political.

IrishNinja

GOAT crowd out here was the last Rock the Bells; i wasn't around the technique/JMT section, but ended up with the WU/Native Tongue heads so every corner i went, weed of varying quality was being offered & shit was chill. i was unconcerned about scents nor attire, as it was a concert.

I didn't say they were both on the right side of social issues, Ninja. Just that they both had their take on them...

Like, the KKK used to be very political.

hahaha just bustin' balls

okay i haven't fucked with country since i lived in the south, but i gotta say on behalf of the dusty crowd: i know my Cash/etc is a long gone era, but most of what i heard on the radio was still pop with a southern twang. it's like, not even remotely the same genre, and felt like it lacked identity. assuming you find that a fair assessment, has anything changed?

Esch

Banned
Most surprising crowd; Boris. I went there expecting a lot of frail Jitters types and unwashed metal heads and it was all like accountants, office workers, and waiters coming off a shift. So weird.

GOAT crowd out here was the last Rock the Bells; i wasn't around the technique/JMT section, but ended up with the WU/Native Tongue heads so every corner i went, weed of varying quality was being offered & shit was chill. i was unconcerned about scents nor attire, as it was a concert.

hahaha just bustin' balls

okay i haven't fucked with country since i lived in the south, but i gotta say on behalf of the dusty crowd: i know my Cash/etc is a long gone era, but most of what i heard on the radio was still pop with a southern twang. it's like, not even remotely the same genre, and felt like it lacked identity. assuming you find that a fair assessment, has anything changed?

The "Alt-Country" scene tends to have more of that darker country vibe to it all. But even they go poppy sometimes.

WanderingWind

Lol. I dunno. Even my super polite wife thinks country went too soft(She used words I don't think I'm allowed to say) so I guess that's the case.

IrishNinja

still surprised i got 0 streetpasses at a Roots show...i'dve expected the crossover to've been better than that. granted, it was before Animal Crossing but...spin-chan knows what i'm talkin bout

The "Alt-Country" scene tends to have more of that darker country vibe to it all. But even they go poppy sometimes.

oh? this sounds like some shit i gotta ask Des about

i really can't follow the logic here: as hip hop fans, most of ya'll got dudes (living and dead) in your top 10 who did classic shit, and then someone jacked that beat/style/whatever and created some grade-A fuckery. this isn't the OG's fault; you created a beautiful garden, and some swaggerless knucklehead came in and said "yeah this is nice, but the world needs more compost."
I enjoy RATM's music, acknowledging that they had a hand to play in influencing some shitty music doesn't diminish my enjoyment.

Audioslave
>> Renegades > RATM >>> Evil Empire >>>> What was their last one? Battle Los Angeles? All I remember from that one was Calm Like a Bomb and the track where Zack talks about Agent Orange over a harmonic Morello riff. Had a music video where they shit on Wall St.

IrishNinja

you're the 2nd person in life i've encountered who rates Audioslave over RATM. the first person is a good friend of mine, who i felt compelled to throw rocks at for this opinion.

Audioslave's first album is better than anything RATM did, let's be real. RATM has many great songs but their albums are inconsistent. Audioslave is Cornell in his prime, it's almost a Soundgarden record. And if it was I'd rate it third behind Superunkown and Badmotorfinger.

IrishNinja

PD stahp
dodger i'm gonna hit those up when i get off work, thanks man

Yeah, thanks dude!

Wouldn't rate them over RATM but "Show Me How to Live" and "Shadows on The Sun" (s/o to Collateral) are great songs.

Shadow on the Sun i definitely would put up there with my favorite of Cornell's work, even with Soundgarden
i went in expecting a lot less from Audio, i think i had it in my head that this kinda thing didn't work (Velvet Revolver, some might argue Foo Fighters etc) but i have love for some of their shit...just can't see it > RATM is all

Audioslave's first album is better than anything RATM did, let's be real. RATM has many great songs but their albums are inconsistent. Audioslave is Cornell in his prime, it's almost a Soundgarden record. And if it was I'd rate it third behind Superunkown and Badmotorfinger.
This. Album only had two duds in Last Remaining Light and Getaway Car, everything else was fuego (except for Like a Stone, which I'm lukwarm about :lupe). Their first is arguably the GOAT supergroup album, the other two have some quality gems.

I also like Audioslave over RATM and Soundgarden. Grunge sucks though, except for The Melvins and Alice in Chains
Also cosigned. Soundgarden is better than Nirvana and Pearl Jam, but I really don't care for them outside of some choice songs.

Soundgarden is the best grundge band. Cornell was the best songwriter of that movement.

I love Getaway Car and Last Remaining Light. One of my favorite things about early Audioslave was their blues and almost jazzy tracks. Both those songs are in that vein.

I love Getaway Car and Last Remaining Light. One of my favorite things about early Audioslave was their blues and almost jazzy tracks. Both those songs are in that vein.
One of the biggest reasons I enjoyed that album was Morello's riffage. That wasn't what they were going for in those two tracks so that's why I rate them the way I do. To each his own though, breh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom