• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTX| Long Live the Watcher

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kimosabae

Banned
Guys, I'm looking for some high-energy hip hop. Some Blue/Exile "My World Is" and RATKING "Retired Sports" type shit. The former has been on repeat the last day and a half. I need some new blood in my rotation, because I'm going to burn that one out quickly.

I have a preference for "rappity rap" styles, but I'm open to whatever. I just want high-energy tracks where rappers are just rapping for the sake of rapping.

RP912

Banned
The Fix is actually a good album guys

and this was the quote that broke my lurking of this thread.

Probably one of my favorite face albums next to mr scarface and the diary.

btw sup folks:

Musical Taste:
• Pick a coast to rep - Where there's good music
• Favorite Artist - MF Grimm (Honorable Mention- Nas)
• Best feature killer - Canibus (Dude fell off but dude kills features easily)
• Favourite producer - Just Blaze
• Favourite album - Operation Doomsday
• What's in your playlist right now? - Ab Soul- These Days, Isiash Rashad-Civila, and J- Dilla Donuts

GAF-Hop Discusses:
• Rank Kanye's albums: Late Registration>>>>College Dropout>>>>all
• Who is the best Wu-Tang member? Ghostface of course
• Jay Z or Nas? Nas
• Biggie or Pac? Tough Decision but pace
• What’s your dream album/project? The All City Chess Group project :(
• Who is the next big rapper/producer? TDE producers...they remind me of beats by the pound mixed with the bomb squad
• Who is the most overrated/underrated emcee? overrated- Big Pun *sorry, underrated- Quasimoto
• Have you been known to eat ass? No comment

maybe

RP912

Banned
Big Pun is overrated. Yeah Baby was garbage. It only took him one album to get complacent and stop trying.

rockclaps.gif

THANK YOU. I remember trying to bump capital punishment and forcing myself to like it. Dude will always be known for the hot verse on the deep cover remake. I'm just saying.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
and this was the quote that broke my lurking of this thread.

Probably one of my favorite face albums next to mr scarface and the diary.

btw sup folks:

Musical Taste:
• Pick a coast to rep - Where there's good music
• Favorite Artist - MF Grimm (Honorable Mention- Nas)
• Best feature killer - Canibus (Dude fell off but dude kills features easily)
• Favourite producer - Just Blaze
• Favourite album - Operation Doomsday
• What's in your playlist right now? - Ab Soul- These Days, Isiash Rashad-Civila, and J- Dilla Donuts

GAF-Hop Discusses:
• Rank Kanye's albums: Late Registration>>>>College Dropout>>>>all
• Who is the best Wu-Tang member? Ghostface of course
• Jay Z or Nas? Nas
• Biggie or Pac? Tough Decision but pace
• What’s your dream album/project? The All City Chess Group project :(
• Who is the next big rapper/producer? TDE producers...they remind me of beats by the pound mixed with the bomb squad
• Who is the most overrated/underrated emcee? overrated- Big Pun *sorry, underrated- Quasimoto
• Have you been known to eat ass? No comment

maybe

Sup fellow old

RP912

Banned
Sup fellow old

sup wandering.

my thoughts on the new ab soul....it's a good album for what it is. Most people were expecting Control System 2 but forgot his first mixtape had typical songs like the ones on These Days. Overall the only track I hated was THRACK :/. Everything else was actually ok to good. 8/10.

Then again I really enjoyed oxymoron and prefer it over hac.

WanderingWind

These Days was good for me, but it probably isn't going to make Soul any new fans. Like, if you like what Soul does, you got a good chance of liking These Days. He's a weird dude who spits weird ass raps. These Days is what that's about.

I mean, it's about to go double granite though.

RP912

Banned
These Days was good for me, but it probably isn't going to make Soul any new fans. Like, if you like what Soul does, you got a good chance of liking These Days. He's a weird dude who spits weird ass raps. These Days is what that's about.

Oh yeah. The album not going to move numbers at all unfortunately. One thing to say about soulo is the fact he has the best weed songs.

PBY

Banned

I agree with all of this.

I'd prefer a dude go the Soulo route, and end up embarrasing himself on some tracks but overall stay interesting, than do the Cole route where its all "fine" but nothing is memorable.

Need to reiterate, btw- listen to that new How to Dress Well. WW, it might appeal to the side of you that enjoys the Weeknd.

WanderingWind

I agree with all of this.

I'd prefer a dude go the Soulo route, and end up embarrasing himself on some tracks but overall stay interesting, than do the Cole route where its all "fine" but nothing is memorable.

Need to reiterate, btw- listen to that new How to Dress Well. WW, it might appeal to the side of you that enjoys the Weeknd.

I haven't heard of that. Mixtape?

I stopped listening to the album after the Kendrick interlude, which was a disappointing track. It's not NEARLY as good as Soul's interlude on Section80. IMO that was a master class in rapping over jazz with no loops. Whereas Kendrick is off beat and doesn't give a shit. That can work obviously, but it comes off like a bad take on the track. Like, Ali or someone should have been like "ok Kendrick let's do that again..."

Tree Of Life grew on me. It's like a Lupe track metaphor wise but works in a sly way, somewhat like Daydreamin', or Kendrick's Swimming Pools; selling the message slyly. I'll give it a full listen today so I won't make any definitive comments until then. But I will say the production seems really stale, and the drums are weak.

RP912

Banned
I stopped listening to the album after the Kendrick interlude, which was a disappointing track. It's not NEARLY as good as Soul's interlude on Section80. IMO that was a master class in rapping over jazz with no loops. Whereas Kendrick is off beat and doesn't give a shit. That can work obviously, but it comes off like a bad take on the track. Like, Ali or someone should have been like "ok Kendrick let's do that again..."

Tree Of Life grew on me. It's like a Lupe track metaphor wise but works in a sly way, somewhat like Daydreamin', or Kendrick's Swimming Pools; selling the message slyly. I'll give it a full listen today so I won't make any definitive comments until then. But I will say the production seems really stale, and the drums are weak.

Yea I was expecting the heart pt 2 type of kendrick over that track...instead I got the "I got to prove I'm going to eat rappers" kendrick. Kendrick one of my favs and all but he really needs to chill before he ends up Lupe'd. Feeling himself a bit too much when I can actually think of 10 rappers off the top that would rip him apart. I enjoyed the tree of life track....I'm a sucker for that type of drum pattern.

WanderingWind

This is the third Lupe reference in a row. He should now appear in your mirror to warn you about the dangers of eating margarine.

I'm not worried about Kendrick overall though. People tend to focus on the "yelling" features while ignoring the majority of varied, dope non-yelling verses he has done within the last 8-9 months. Plus the yelling verses that actually work, like Control and this.

He'll be fine and have unlimited access to dope beats.

WanderingWind

Nas and Eminem have access to unlimited dope beats too...

Ahahahaha....for some reason, this made me laugh. I just picture KDot staring at two stacks of records, thinking "Aight, how do I not Nas myself."

He ought to get TDE to sign Nas, have him consult on beat selection, then pick the opposite shit.

effzee

yeah but their problems are not the beats they select but more what to talk about when you have covered everything already.

kendrick could say the same stuff again or same material that has been covered a million times and it will still received as fresh or new.

I think hes stuck in a loop. he said that shit a ton last year. drop it or shut up about it.

isn't he having label problems?

he has been trying to get off of def jam for the longest no?

RP912

Banned
Reasonable doubt is one of those albums thats good to listen to... but not a must to have in a collection. The album is easily forgettable.

Esch

Banned
I'm a big jay fan, but I don't have reasonable doubt in my top 3 jay albums

Reasonable doubt is one of those albums thats good to listen to... but not a must to have in a collection. The album is easily forgettable.
mjlol.png
in the bushes y'all go. Horrible.

RP912

Banned
The album hasn't aged well, some classic tracks on there don't get me wrong. But I'm not about to put that cd on anytime soon

Forreal. Mafioso albums like reasonable doubt and even the firm don't sound good on a regular bump. When I listen to reasonable doubt I usually play bring it on, can I live, and regrets. Beside those tracks...meh :/.

Only song on it that hasn't aged well is Ain't No Nigga because it's the pop single. Classic album.

It's super weird to think how young Foxy was when she was on that track.

Forreal. Mafioso albums like reasonable doubt and even the firm don't sound good on a regular bump. When I listen to reasonable doubt I usually play bring it on, can I live, and regrets. Beside those tracks...meh :/.

Some of the other Mafioso albums aged much better than Reasonable Doubt. But I still like it.

Esch

Banned
I know I'm going to get shitted on but I'll take it...

Always Be My Sunshine>>>>>Ain't No Nigga
So in the past page you've said;

-you like Canibus
-big pun is overrated and you had to try to like capital punishment
-reasonable doubt basically isn't a classic
-one of the worst ham handed singles in jays career is better than the one that made his career

RP912

Banned
So in the past page you've said;

-you like Canibus
-big pun is overrated and you had to try to like capital punishment
-reasonable doubt basically isn't a classic
-one of the worst ham handed singles in jays career is better than the one that made his career

Canibus during features...I haven't bump bus since rip the jacker.
I stand by that statement :/.
reasonable doubt is good but classic not really :/
No lie I bumped the hell out of that song when it came out.......and I prefer in my lifetime vol 1 over reasonable doubt.

*gulps*

Interview was pretty good, some tidbits:

-Yaris isn't pregnant
-Relationship started when Yaris instagrammed a picture with Soul's lyrics, then she ended up DM'ing him saying "Hiii"
-Re-explains his disease; people are getting paid now because they were getting the disease off of prescription drugs.
-Used to rap on Black Planet
-Perfect attendance in Sunday school until he was 16 lol
-One of his friends he went to school with was shot 5 times in that altercation with Q in Denver. They think they were looking for somebody else because Q doesn't really have beef with anybody.
-Explains how he ended up with the rap name Ab-Soul
-Alori Joh came up and well :(
-Was just kidding around with the "About to drop my album like it was a mixtape" thing, just trying to make people know that he isn't just laying around acting
kttcoliflabbynsick

RP912

Banned
Guys, I'm looking for some high-energy hip hop. Some Blue/Exile "My World Is" and RATKING "Retired Sports" type shit. The former has been on repeat the last day and a half. I need some new blood in my rotation, because I'm going to burn that one out quickly.

I have a preference for "rappity rap" styles, but I'm open to whatever. I just want high-energy tracks where rappers are just rapping for the sake of rapping.

Any album by jurassic 5 but can't go wrong with this album:

soundpieces.jpg

But Kendrick has a better ear than both of them.

effzee: I think both have tackled new content lately, the issue is moreso the quality of the songs. Much of the concept of Life Is Good is new ground for Nas; it's a rap Here, My Dear. And while I hate modern Eminem I thought Headlights was one of 2013's best songs. Really felt like Em came full circle on it.

Modern Nas' problem tends to be a focus on telling grand concept stories in a half assed manner, over weak beats. Notice how HHID, Untitled, and even Life is Good blast out the gate with tracks that don't really discuss the main themes of the albums, then the back half is full of concept tracks. It's too specific not to be on purpose, and I get the impression it's the label saying "ok you can do what you want but put some regular tracks at the beginning." Hence we get that weird Chris Brown/Game record on Untitled...

I wish Nas would just...rap. Not these weak concepts. I think it works on Life Is Good though, which is obviously a personal record. Whereas Untitled felt like a marketing ploy, or Nas hanging around Jay Electronica too much (hint hint). Basically IMO Nas is better at more personal, evocative lyricism and these grand concepts are the opposite of that. Imagine an Untitled more focused on growing up in the 70s/80s dealing with the NYPD, institutional racism, etc.

RP912

Banned
I just want a lost tapes type of nas album. Untitled should have went deeper. Speaking of Nas it's been a minute since I bumped life is good. Think I'll zone out to that tonight.

I just want a lost tapes type of nas album. Untitled should have went deeper. Speaking of Nas it's been a minute since I bumped life is good. Think I'll zone out to that tonight.

Lost Tapes 2 is coming. #Septemberjustwaitonit

Reasonable Doubt is pretty much trash. Will say it has like .. one or two songs that are good on it though. Dead Presidents and Feelin it. After that.. Recycle bin classic.

Recycle bin classic is a ridiculous statement. It's aged and has some songs that are better than others, but a recycle bin album?

Hell no

I'm just saying how I feel tho.

When I was in my 'Stuck in the 90's' era of music phase, I went through tons of old music. Noticed that I had no Jay, so I decided to get his discography and go through his albums.

sneakers-mail-annulation-21.gif

Wasn't feeling none of that shit. Couple hot tracks here and there, but overall just.. nah breh. Black Album was hot tho, I'll give him that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom