• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTX| Long Live the Watcher

Status
Not open for further replies.

Esch

Banned
dope, i love when we get pieces like this

yup, the bit about Dame and Biggie swilling 5 bottles of Cristal (how wasteful) was pretty funny. Only bad part about it is Jaz-O. He sounds like a total whining about his part in it, and being underappreciated.

Des is gonna raise the first kid to write a song thanking his dad instead of his mom.

The kid's "what did we learn?" roundup at the end of each school year is gonna be on point

random note, I'm kinda digging this G-Eazy album. MCing is nothing special, but I guess I happen to be in the mood for some bootleg Drake-ish production or something.

IrishNinja

People always give me shit about this, but to me, Reasonable Doubt > Illmatic.

waka-OK.gif

we ain't gotta do this today, fam

PlayDat

Happy birthday to the GAF-HOPer that started the 'It Was Written > Illmatic' trend

As someone who didn't get into IWW until a couple months ago I gotta saw it was a huge letdown. The intro is corny as fuck and most of the songs are boring ass mafioso tales. Only real standout tracks are I Gave You Power and If I Ruled the World.

I don't see what people like so much about Black Girl Lost. People talk about it like it's one of the top Nas songs but I can't fuck with it. The singing is awful and I can't get behind the whole concept of the song. Like why am I supposed to feel sorry for her? Because she rejects 5%-er shit? Cause she likes sucking dick here and there? It's an unfortunate reality that even college educated black women do have limited career opportunities but that ain't her fault. If stripping is what pays the bills then go ahead and work that pole with pride.

Overall I'd give It Was Written 3/5. Stillmatic was better.

RP912

Banned
What if ski would have done the whole production for reasonable doubt like he did for uptown saturday night? I always wondered how that would have turned out because dude is so slept on production wise.

Back at the Garden, word finally came over the walkie-talkies that Jamie Foxx, et al., had settled in successfully, clearing Lamar’s vans to leave. Everyone stood up. “I need some snacks for the road,” Lamar said, pouring a bowl of cereal and shoving into his sweatpants pocket a stack of $2 bills a fan handed him backstage. “Real rappers walk down hallways with money hanging out of their pocket eating cereal,” he called out cartoonishly, spooning bites of cereal into his mouth and grinning as he walked down the hallway to the service elevator. “Everybody knows that.”

Y'all gotta read that NYTimes piece about Kendrick

Esch

Banned
Black Girl Lost is low key one of those really bad songs that are supposed to be conscious and uplifting but instead is really preachy, patriarchal and insults women. Materializing women on some swag shit is one thing, but telling them what to do with their vaginas and using graphic imagery to shame them is maybe a little worse. One of the worst songs on IWW.

Oh, facebook is telling me it's ShinobiFist's birthday!

Happy birthday to the GAF-HOPer that started the 'It Was Written > Illmatic' trend

That's pretty common amongst newer rappers, and younger people in general who prefer the production and mafioso shit.

It's a great album, probably the second or third best mafioso record behind Cuban Linx. 4,5,6 is debatable, I'd probably take IWW on most days. But Black Girl Lost is trash brehs.

Nas Is Coming is dope. smh...

I'd go

1. Cuban Linx
2. It Was Written
3. 4,5,6
4. Live and Let Die
5. Reasonable Doubt

(I'm not counting Ready to Die since IMO it's not mafioso rap)

RP912

Banned
Cuban Linx or Reasonable Doubt, I'd also take 4,5,6 in 3rd place.

for some weird reason I never thought cuban linx as a mafioso album. It felt too wu tangish for that category. When I bump that album I never picture Rae and Ghost in pink suits and gators cutting cigars with connects.

The album felt more of a old 70s drama flick.

Esch

Banned
for some weird reason I never thought cuban linx as a mafioso album. It felt too wu tangish for that category. When I bump that album I never picture Rae and Ghost in pink suits and gators cutting cigars with connects.

The album felt more of a old 70s drama flick.
Fair enough, I'm just going off straight quality. In fact I'd rather not have the entire aesthetic be full mafiosi. I like that Cuban Linx is mafia but still Wu. I like that Reasonable Doubt has the mafia references but spends time on human nature and is more like the tales of a upper-mid level street guy, a capo instead of boss fantasies.

RP912

Banned
My top mafioso albums

1. AZ- Doe or Die
2. Nas- It Was Written
3. The Firm
4. Cormega- The Testament
5. Smoothe Da Hustler- Once Upon a time in America

Cuban Linx defines mafioso...

Just saw that Instagram pic Esch lol. On one hand he says he's still getting money to this day from RD, on the other hand he starts begging for Jay to do a RD tour so "we can all get money." Hmmmm...I'm gonna stick to my guns and say this dude is dead broke.

Even if he's getting RD royalties still, they're going directly to Uncle Sam.

RP912

Banned
Fair enough, I'm just going off straight quality. In fact I'd rather not have the entire aesthetic be full mafiosi. I like that Cuban Linx is mafia but still Wu. I like that Reasonable Doubt has the mafia references but spends time on human nature and is more like the tales of a upper-mid level street guy, a capo instead of boss fantasies.

True...that was the magic of cuban linx. Sure they had mafia themes but you could take that album as something like new jack city or sugar hill. I get chills from the outro alone.

Esch

Banned
Cuban Linx defines mafioso...

Just saw that Instagram pic Esch lol. On one hand he says he's still getting money to this day from RD, on the other hand he starts begging for Jay to do a RD tour so "we can all get money." Hmmmm...I'm gonna stick to my guns and say this dude is dead broke.

Even if he's getting RD royalties still, they're going directly to Uncle Sam.
He should really just humble down and ask Jay for a Roc Nation job now that they've 'made up'. Come on. If he was willing to help Calvin Klein then surely he'd give Dame something to do in Roc Nation promo. He might even still be good at it.

He should really just humble down and ask Jay for a Roc Nation job now that they've 'made up'. Come on. If he was willing to help Calvin Klein then surely he'd give Dame something to do in Roc Nation promo. He might even still be good at it.

Klein didn't disrespect Jay though, at least not initially. Jay felt he owed Klein so he offered to help him. I doubt Jay feels he owes Dame anything, and rightfully so. Jay had to have asked Dame to calm down multiple times, he probably wanted him involved in future business, but once Jay realized Dame was fucking shit up he dropped him. One of the many great business moves by Hov.

Dame was never going to be domesticated. And I don't use that word in a derogatory way. Everything Jay does is about business, building his brand, and making money. He doesn't attach his name to anything that might be shaky or questionable. You have to prove yourself first, or give him 1 million sub downloads out the box as Samsung did. Success. Dame doesn't give a shit about relationships, business strategies, anything. If a shot opens he takes it. If he misses, he blames the failure on others.

HiResDes

hov stan ranking

1. Reasonable Doubt
2/3. The Blueprint
2/3. The Black Album
4. In My Lifetime: Vol. 1
5/6. Volume 2: Hard Knock Life
5/6. The Dynasty: Roc La Familia

1. Reasonable Doubt
2. The Black Album
3. Blueprint
4. Vol. 1
5. Dynasty: Roc La Familia
6. Vol 2/Blueprint 2 tied.

As someone who didn't get into IWW until a couple months ago I gotta saw it was a huge letdown. The intro is corny as fuck and most of the songs are boring ass mafioso tales. Only real standout tracks are I Gave You Power and If I Ruled the World.

I don't see what people like so much about Black Girl Lost. People talk about it like it's one of the top Nas songs but I can't fuck with it. The singing is awful and I can't get behind the whole concept of the song. Like why am I supposed to feel sorry for her? Because she rejects 5%-er shit? Cause she likes sucking dick here and there? It's an unfortunate reality that even college educated black women do have limited career opportunities but that ain't her fault. If stripping is what pays the bills then go ahead and work that pole with pride.

Overall I'd give It Was Written 3/5. Stillmatic was better.

We're gonna act like Affirmative Action, The Message, Street Dreams, Take It in Blood, Watch Dem Niggas, and Suspect aren't good tracks. Fuck outta here

I'd go

1. Cuban Linx
2. It Was Written
3. 4,5,6
4. Live and Let Die
5. Reasonable Doubt

(I'm not counting Ready to Die since IMO it's not mafioso rap)

1. Ready to Die
2. It Was Written
3. Reasonable Doubt
4. 4.5.6
5. Nocturnal (Heltah Skeltah)

H.M. - The Infamous

I need Andre Martel to just drop the full-length already, not even listening to anymore leaks.

from the Kendrick piece in the NY Times
The next day, we were all on the bus en route from Houston to San Antonio for a concert at the AT&T Center. I made my way to the back, joining Lamar in his traveling studio. He likes to tuck himself away in small, dark spaces, and this one was perfect: It contained only a bed and a recording deck. Lamar typed on 2Teez’s iPhone (where he stores some of his raps), while the same foreboding beat played over and over again on the computer, little bars pulsating on the screen in hypnotic unison. “I’m the worst,” he eventually said, breaking the silence. “Whenever I get good news about anything . . . man, I guess I’m bad at receiving compliments.” He stopped typing but didn’t look up from the phone, his face all but obscured beneath his black hood. “Like yesterday with the nominations, things like that — it made me feel like I had to be in the studio because I had to do it, not again, but. . . .” He couldn’t quite finish his thought. “It just bothers me,” he said finally. “I don’t want to be something that just comes and goes.”

damn

the heir to the throne, brehs :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom