• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTX| Long Live the Watcher

Status
Not open for further replies.

HiResDes

I was kinda wrong with my list...Sorry, and I'd probably put Marcberg or Reloaded up there honestly.

But I'm too busy Tip Toe Wing in Jordans right now:

ncXgEgn.gif

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Neon Icon is okay. It's kind of corny, though, but points to RiFF for being true to himself. How To Be The Man is the only keeper. I still got love for caco tho

Esch

Banned
Ka shit is cool but he's an idiot for not making it available for like 5$ digital distro on bandcamp. Giving away money.

Maybe he's too old to use bandcamp lol

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Enzo are you forreal. You might be the number one hater this year on the low. What was the last thing you loved?
Black Hystori Project. Maybe My Krazy Life or Metallic Butterfly since.

This year has sucked pretty bad overall. Even 2013's drought wasn't as bad, and we'd start seeing some bigger releases by now.

overcast

Riff Raff has some straight great songs, but there are too many misses. Definitely strong in my current playlist though.

Okay, what did Kendrick mean by this on UOENO. "My dick need 17 years on it, anything after that is a bonus." What.

Riff Raff has some straight great songs, but there are too many misses. Definitely strong in my current playlist though.

Okay, what did Kendrick mean by this on UOENO. "My dick need 17 years on it, anything after that is a bonus." What.

listen to the previous lines
Yeah this and popcaan album owns the summer

I've been listening to that popcaan album. it's pretty good. Been awhile since I've listened to a dancehall album tho

PBY

Banned
Black Hystori Project. Maybe My Krazy Life or Metallic Butterfly since.

This year has sucked pretty bad overall. Even 2013's drought wasn't as bad, and we'd start seeing some bigger releases by now.

Pretty good non-rap year tho. Lana, How to Dress well, War on Drugs (WHEW).

big ander

Lykke Li and Lana records are both below average, and I finally played the htdw last night and...not to be a "his old sound was better" dude but his old sound was better. Face Again's good, A Power's good, Childhood Faith's alright. but not a song on here is grabbing me immediately the way several songs did on Total Loss and Love Remains despite the songs ostensibly being more pop-y. awno.

Right now the only rap records I have on my year list/collage/whatever are Pinata and Steppington and Fazoland. Tobacco's Ultima II Massage too if you wanna count it but his stuff's really not even instrumental hip hop anymore. just dirty electro psych.

Tokubetsu

Love the new Lana record but you guys could have probably guessed that (I'm a sad girl T-T). Couldn't get into the new HTDW. Sound wise I think he peaked with "Love Remains" album but I can understand the move to a more...corporeal sound (and I do like "Total Loss" a lot). This will forever be my favorite HTDW track.

Rap wise listening to Neon Icon and old Three 6 Mafia/Project Pat a lot. I'm always listening to Starlito. Popcaan album is fire too. A lot of instrumentals and electronic as well. A friend of mine just finished a 80s style disco/funk electronic album that's great and I did the art for that's dropping soon (I'll share it). A lot of footwork and UK stuff. A lot of Bones, especially his singy' stuff.

big ander

I think htdw's most cohesive album is Total Loss, but Love Remains definitely has some of his best overall tracks. Walking This Dumb jams. I couldn't choose Escape Before the Rain because that's one of those songs that feels shortchanged if you don't include the spectacular followup of Endless Rain.

def need a Jay Rock project. Looks like I'll probably be even more hungry for it after getting around to These Days
Haha this is great.

HiResDes

Lykke Li and Lana records are both below average, and I finally played the htdw last night and...not to be a "his old sound was better" dude but his old sound was better. Face Again's good, A Power's good, Childhood Faith's alright. but not a song on here is grabbing me immediately the way several songs did on Total Loss and Love Remains despite the songs ostensibly being more pop-y. awno.

Right now the only rap records I have on my year list/collage/whatever are Pinata and Steppington and Fazoland. Tobacco's Ultima II Massage too if you wanna count it but his stuff's really not even instrumental hip hop anymore. just dirty electro psych.

I agree. His old sound was better and with just about everything else except the hip-hop part. You don't have the Open Mike Eagle on your loved list? Ratking? WHAT??

Esch

Banned
Still have not heard a single lil b or riff raff song because I refuse to listen to characatures rap.
Lil B is aite because he's funny as hell and his style is original, but riff raff is trailer park irony hot garbage, he's the worst. I kinda hate him, to be honest. As a person maybe even.

They both pick pretty great beats though.

PBY

Banned
I agree. His old sound was better and with just about everything else except the hip-hop part. You don't have the Open Mike Eagle on your loved list? Ratking? WHAT??

Didn't love the OME tbh.

Re: HTDW- Love Remains is still my fav too (best track is ready for the world)- BUT- I think P4k nailed it, when they said that as he's moved away from a rougher sound to a clearer sound, we've gotten a better handle on who Krell is. Which is cool, the music is actually becoming clearer as his persona unveils. I dunno, also not sure I'd be down for 3 albums in the vein of Love Remains.

Most stuff on the new album is super nice either way.

big ander

I really really like both of those but they just haven't gone over the edge to like 4-stars yet. one or two listens of either would prolly put them there.
Didn't love the OME tbh.

Re: HTDW- Love Remains is still my fav too (best track is ready for the world)- BUT- I think P4k nailed it, when they said that as he's moved away from a rougher sound to a clearer sound, we've gotten a better handle on who Krell is. Which is cool, the music is actually becoming clearer as his persona unveils. I dunno, also not sure I'd be down for 3 albums in the vein of Love Remains.

Most stuff on the new album is super nice either way.
Yeah I get why he's moved in this direction for sure, if he were still doing love remains stuff his hype'd be deceased. And intellectually I like him baring his soul on WITH, but it's not connecting with me at all

T Dollarz

i wish i had more stuff this year like so it goes

i wish i had more stuff this year like Piñata

Yeah these are my top two by a significant margin.

When I revisit Piñata now it honestly has the feel of a modern classic. I believe that in 10 years when we think of Madlib as an artist we will instantly think of Madvillainy & Piñata, featuring MF DOOM & Freddie Gibbs.

Also I listened These Days yesterday and Neon Icon today. The former was pretty bad. The latter is fucking rad.

big ander

Oh shit I never actually got the nodj of Fazoland, so I grabbed it tonight. had no idea there were extra tracks. don't get why Another Day needed the title change to murder but goddamn Everyday in Chicago's a great track. At Night's nice too

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom