• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTX| Long Live the Watcher

Status
Not open for further replies.

overcast

PBR is the hipster beer and I don't use that lightly of the U.S.
Ah, I had no idea. Tastes bad to me.
yesss
i realize i don't often post back to thank ya'll on the gems (and that's my bad) but i do appreciate this stuff fam. it's good to know there's always quality waiting to be discovered fam.
That's what we all do (I'm sure). Reason why I started posting here for sure, but it's obviously a great community.

FNL gets me incredibly nostalgic of my senior year of HS. That and MBDTF were released in the same month. What a time to be alive.

coldvein

Banned
real enough. im trying to find this new sims shit to share but its apparently disappeared.

aka if youre accusing me of alcoholism thats fine

Detox

I don't know if anyone is interested but here's some dirty bomb (splash damage) beta keys, you need to redeem it in the nexon launcher.

Y5A3-9FF2-XS7U-96YE
Y44S-ASXA-2BD8-2852
YHJP-QCLU-FZRQ-D7KJ
YTU4-CPZG-2VRN-U33J

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Two. Two different girls wanted to hang this weekend. One was a no-shit 10, red hair, blue eyes, clearly works out, talked a bunch of nerdy shit. I've had to tell women I'm married before (not very often, but it happens) but never two back to back like this.

Ayo, what's up with all these millionaires writing me checks and shit? THAT I CAN'T CASH.

Esch

Banned
That was an amazing matchbrehs
banderas.png

Esch

Banned
MOTM is a certified gafhop classic. u mad?

the wall of GAFHOP classics also has not one, but 2 Lupe Fiasco albums, one album by The Game, an album that came out in 2012, and My Beautiful Twisted Dark Average.

Our song of the year 2012 was by Ab-Soul, in one of the strongest years in hip hop since the early 00s.

Who cares what we think?

the wall of GAFHOP classics also has not one, but 2 Lupe Fiasco albums, one album by The Game, an album that came out in 2012, and My Beautiful Twisted Dark Average.

Our song of the year 2012 was by Ab-Soul, in one of the strongest years in hip hop since the early 00s.

Who cares what we think?
This is true

CRS

Esch doesn't like OutKast as a whole so fuck what he thinks about Aquemini.

Blackstar is a classic. It has one of the rawest verses of all time, (Mos Def's in Thieves in the Night)

Esch

Banned
okay esh, you talkin greasy here

- Documentary is arguable, great album at least i figure
- what's not classic about Blackstar?
- what year would be "safe" to elect GKMC

and since ace ain't around; ya'll shit on Aquemini way too much

All three are classic albums, but

1) Aquemini simply isn't top 20 material. I know y'all gonna point out me not liking Outkast and that's fair; but I have no problem with ATLiens which deserves its spot and acclaim. Plus, having 2 albums by any artist is kinda wack.

2) Blackstar is a classic album, but just not top 20 for me. It would be on the periphery; 20-30 for sure.

3) Obviously I stand apart from GAFHOP on this, but what is so ground breaking or even great about the Documentary? It's a by-the-numbers meta-piece. It doesn't deserve to be near a top 20. It's got some good songs and catchy but with respect to the rap game; it's just a drop in a lake. It's well done but just not a seminal work like that. But for some reason I can't fathom, y'all love The Game. It's like, top 50.

the idea of Documentary being on anyone's top 20 list is chuckles for sure. Think about it this way, if someone told you that you could never listen to another track from Documentary ever again, would you give a single solitary fuck? I don't know if I'd even work up the energy to shrug and walk away over that.

It's a good record but like...barely top 10 the year it came out alone. Top 20 all time is absurd.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
The Documentary is easily one of my Top 10 albums ever. Maybe top 5. So well crafted, front to back. Not a bad song on there, and it is overflowing charisma. Blueprint for how to make a good album for sure.

That said if we're talking seminal works, I bet everyone here would have trouble listing 20. It all comes back to the whole what makes something a classic or not. I don't know if I'd label The Documentary a classic, but I sure as hell enjoy it more and it's more consistent than other albums that get that word thrown at them.

EDIT: You see websites make top 50s or top 100s and shit still gets shunted because there are way too many arguably influential/great projects in the genre. Sometimes you need to take comfort in subjectivity.

Esch

Banned
Blueprint for how to make a good album for sure..

In what way?

The whole concept for the entire album is by Game's own admission pretty much studying a series of albums that came before it and making a quality album based on how they put things together in a by the numbers West Coast gangsta framework.

The Documentary is easily one of my Top 10 albums ever. Maybe top 5. So well crafted, front to back. Not a bad song on there, and it is overflowing charisma. Blueprint for how to make a good album for sure.

That said if we're talking seminal works, I bet everyone here would have trouble listing 20. It all comes back to the whole what makes something a classic or not. I don't know if I'd label The Documentary a classic, but I sure as hell enjoy it more and it's more consistent than other albums that get that word thrown at them.

EDIT: You see websites make top 50s or top 100s and shit still gets shunted because there are way too many arguably influential/great projects in the genre. Sometimes you need to take comfort in subjectivity.

I think my main problem with Documentary is that it had negative ambition. Nothing came from it that spoke to anything other than "We want this to be a hit record". It was an extremely well produced West Coast vibe album that was on point at all times...but like, what's really the difference between it and My Krazy Life this year? YG and Game are both awful rappers with people behind them crafting their tracks into dope club bops and solid car bangers.

I think my main problem with Documentary is that it had negative ambition. Nothing came from it that spoke to anything other than "We want this to be a hit record". It was an extremely well produced West Coast vibe album that was on point at all times...but like, what's really the difference between it and My Krazy Life this year? YG and Game are both awful rappers with people behind them crafting their tracks into dope club bops and solid car bangers.

Nah, sorry Game was incredibly solid rapper on Documentary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom