• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTX| Long Live the Watcher

Status
Not open for further replies.

Esch

Banned
I think my main problem with Documentary is that it had negative ambition. Nothing came from it that spoke to anything other than "We want this to be a hit record". It was an extremely well produced West Coast vibe album that was on point at all times...but like, what's really the difference between it and My Krazy Life this year? YG and Game are both awful rappers with people behind them crafting their tracks into dope club bops and solid car bangers.

The Game is technically speaking a fine rapper. I think you're shorting him there. But I'll get behind you as far as the songwriting and his general artistic space. His whole thing is 'uhhh, i love hip hop, just like other people made hip hop, so ima make hip hop'. It's just an artistically kind of average album. It's catchy, it's got bangers interspersed with some decent stories and introspection told here and there. I'm even OK with people calling it classic; because it's a high level of quality overall and propelled a rapper that's still prominent today forward.

Top 20 though? Fuck out of here.

Nah, sorry Game was incredibly solid rapper on Documentary.

PxQHNpm.png

Dreams said:
I woke up out that coma 2001
'bout the same time Dre dropped 2001
Three years later the album is done
Aftermath presents: Nigga Witta Attitude, Volume One
Rap critics politickin, wanna know the outcome
Ready to Die, Reasonable Doubt and Doggystyle in one
I feel like 'Pac after the Snoop Dogg trial was done
Dre behind that G series and All Eyez on Me
I watched the death of a dynasty, so I told Vibe Magazine
Workin' with Dr. Dre was a (dream)
I had visions of makin a classic, then my world turned black
Like I was starin' out of Stevie Wonder's glasses
It's kinda hard to imagine, like Kanye West

Coming back from his fatal accident to beatmaking and rapping
But, we the future, Whitney Houston told me that
And it's gon' take more than a bullet in the heart to hold me back

[Hook]
Blushin' in this 40 ounce, lettin' the ink from my pen bleed
Cause Martin Luther King had a (dream)
Aaliyah had a (dream), Left Eye had a (dream)
So I reached out to Kanye and (I brought you all my dreams)

(Cause I love you, I love you, I love you)

[Verse 2]
I had dreams of fuckin' a R&B bitch like Mya
When I saw that ass on the front of that King
Read the article in the magazine, she loved gangsters, loved nasty things
So I'm in the glass house having nasty dreams
Good girls never give it up
But anything is possible, if 50 fucked Vivica
Hurdled life's obstacles, found my way through the maze
Then joy turned to pain like Frankie Beverly and Maze
Used to dream of being Unsigned Hype
'til I was crushed by Dave Mays, almost let my pen fall asleep on the page
Daydreamin' yesterday, dozin' off backstage
I thought I saw Eazy talking to Jam Master Jay
So I walked over, heard Jam Master say
"It's a hard knock life, then you pass away"
They say sleep is the cousin of death, so my eyes wide open
Cause a dream is kin to your last breath

[Hook]

[Verse 3]
The dream of Huey Newton that's what I'm livin' through
The dream of Eric Wright, that's what I'm givin you
Who walked through the White House without a business suit
Compton hat, jheri curl drippin on Ronald Reagan's shoes
Gave Mike Lem my demo, came here to pay my dues
Started off with Whoo Kid, then I start blazin' Clue
It was all a dream like Big said it'd be

Don't sleep on me homey, I bring nightmares to reality
Rap phenomenon, defyin' the rules of gravity
Studied all the classics, start revisin' my strategy
Cause Marshall Mathers made it, Curtis Jackson made it
Head in the clouds, wonderin' where the hell Marvin Gaye went
How do I say this? I'm livin' for my son
But I can't figure out, why I'm at my temple with this gun
Wake up to a Jesus piece like a catholic nun
The war to be a rap legend, has just begun

[Hook]

[Outro]
This song is dedicated to Yetunde Price
The sister of Venus and Serena Williams
Who was slain during a gang shootout in Compton
Sunday, September 14th, 2003 - rest in peace

(I brought you all my dreams)
(Cause I love you, I love you, I love you)
(I-ighhhhhh love you)

You literally can't make this shit up breh. Game was a joke. He can rap just fine, I might be the only person on Earth that would argue 300 Bars And Running is a top tier diss track, but he can't write a song to save his life. Which is why he always falls back on name drops and references. At some level you have to be able to paint a picture or dredge up feelings....and he can't. His producers get you moving, not Game

B, B+ rapper. F- lyricist. It's a bad combination.

IrishNinja

if i had the strength to get up off this couch i would slap the shit out of your ginger gangster ass

i told you the first day of detox would be like this, just let it out bruh bruh

The answer is no year because it shouldn't be elected in the first place

okay, so...why not

Plus, having 2 albums by any artist is kinda wack.

why, though? this isn't superlatives, it's a list of classics. if an artist makes 3 back to back, why leave any off?

3) Obviously I stand apart from GAFHOP on this, but what is so ground breaking or even great about the Documentary? It's a by-the-numbers meta-piece. It doesn't deserve to be near a top 20. It's got some good songs and catchy but with respect to the rap game; it's just a drop in a lake. It's well done but just not a seminal work like that. But for some reason I can't fathom, y'all love The Game. It's like, top 50.

okay, i can see this, but then how would you feel bout GRODT

At least there is no MF Doom in that list

Mmm Food is 100% classic, fam...there's no debating this

Wait, people praise The Documentary?!?

people don't? it's a great album

Esch

Banned
why, though? this isn't superlatives, it's a list of classics. if an artist makes 3 back to back, why leave any off?

Competition....

20 spots. Hip hop is a deep genre that's been going on since the 70s to the present, with a diversity of artists that made great music in many different styles. Can you honestly say that ANY rapper or producer has multiple works that are so groundbreaking or high in quality that they deserve 2 spots out of 20, with all the great music that's been made? I don't. And if you did, you'd be an absolute moron stan for that artist in my opinion. This genre is historically speaking, too broad and good for any artist to fill those gaps.

Top 20 though? Fuck out of here.
This is the rub though. Your personal top 20? Top 20 seminal works of the genre? You're a big proponent of music being entirely subjective but what I want to know is what goes into a list made by Esch with a clear hierarchical structure.

Also apropos:
i9hOUu47Hbv40.gif

PxQHNpm.png

You literally can't make this shit up breh. Game was a joke. He can rap just fine, I might be the only person on Earth that would argue 300 Bars And Running is a top tier diss track, but he can't write a song to save his life. Which is why he always falls back on name drops and references. At some level you have to be able to paint a picture or dredge up feelings....and he can't. His producers get you moving, not Game

I mean calling him out on his name dropping is so predictable...we all fuck around and joke about Game doing that shit

Esch

Banned
This is the rub though. Your personal top 20? Top 20 seminal works of the genre? You're a big proponent of music being entirely subjective but what I want to know is what goes into a list made by Esch with a clear hierarchical structure.

Obviously it's personal; but I like to be fair and include things i don't like overmuch that IMO, made a difference. You want me to do 20? off top? I could probably do that. No direct rankings though.

I strongly agree. His bars, references, and overall style as a songwriter are incredibly corny. Like, he has a decent flow and picks good beats, but listening to him is actually very difficult for me because of how try hard and shitty what comes out of his mouth is. I also dislike the way he delivers some of his punchlines to sound super horrrd.

okay, i think the issue is conflating your persona top 20 with "classic" - again, there's em albums that are classics that aren't in my top 20 at all, and that's fine

Doesn't really have that much to do with 'personal', really. I just think that loading a top 20 with multiple albums by one guy is unfair to the rest of hip hop.

I mean calling him out on his name dropping is so predictable...we all fuck around and joke about Game doing that shit

People do it because it's a legit complaint. He's a perfectly proficient rapper technically, and he even has moments where he's straight up great. But as a lyricist he's bottom of the barrel. Generally speaking you don't have to have both, I can enjoy someone that only has one. Shit I can love someone who barely has either, I think YG is dope as hell and he can't rap and can rarely put a story together. When I compare Documentary to MKL it's not out of disrespect. I think MKL is a legit album itself.

But if we're talking about classic record territory...you gotta be better than that. You can't max out one skill and leave the other empty on a top 20 record unless we're talking about a God level execution of skill in that one area.

Documentary is a good album either way. Top 20s are personal opinion, subjective, yada yada. I just don't see it myself.

Detox

How many albums from a decade or more ago still bangs start to finish like The Documentary? The lyrics float between B and A tier.

okay, i think the issue is conflating your persona top 20 with "classic" - again, there's em albums that are classics that aren't in my top 20 at all, and that's fine
Imo, it's just bad form to create a list that's supposed to represent a genre and limit the amount of diversity. When you draw an arbitrary line at 20, picking multiple spots for the same artist makes the list come off as biased towards a certain perspective.

I didn't argue he is a great lyricist though. I ain't going to go listen to Game and expect him to just leave me sitting back and reflecting how deep some of the things he said. I said he is a incredibly solid rapper on that album

IrishNinja

Imo, it's just bad form to create a list that's supposed to represent a genre and limit the amount of diversity. When you draw an arbitrary line at 20, picking multiple spots for the same artist makes the list come off as biased towards a certain perspective.

i still don't get why you guys are cutting shit off at 20 or any other #'; a classic is a classic regardless of era, prior works by the artist, etc

esh is absolutely right that giving several noms on a short list of 20 of the greatest LPs seems silly, im saying why limit that # at all

i still don't get why you guys are cutting shit off at 20 or any other #'; a classic is a classic regardless of era, prior works by the artist, etc

esh is absolutely right that giving several noms on a short list of 20 of the greatest LPs seems silly, im saying why limit that # at all
Because the discussion was initially about the GAF-Hop Wall of Classics in the OP. Which is supposed to give members who aren't familiar with the community a slice of what's in store(I'm assuming).

Wholeheartedly agree with you though, if we're just throwing shit to the window on what is and isn't a classic, it's acceptable and necessary to include multiple LP's from the same artist. If that were the case, Jay and Nas would both have 3 and Clipse would have 5. It all comes down to which metric you think is best to gauge quality: a rank-less label like "classic", or a neat list with a hierarchical structure from 1 - [arbitrary number].

Esch

Banned
A quick run through off top from me looks like this. I could swap out some albums for another made by the same artist, I could swap some albums out period. I left some scenes and ideas untouched, and several of my personal favorites that would be top 10 off. No order.

Wu-Tang Clan - Enter the 36 Chambers
Scarface - The Diary
The Notorious B.I.G - Ready to Die
Dr. Dre - The Chronic
Jay-Z - Reasonable Doubt
Bone Thugz N' Harmony - E1999 Eternal
Nas - Illmatic
Boogie Down Productions - Criminal Minded
Three Six Mafia - Mystic Stylez
ATCQ - Midnight Marauders
2pac - Me Against the World
Eminem - Slim Shady LP
Kanye West - The College Dropout
Mobb Deep - The Infamous
Snoop Dogg - Doggystyle
Outkast - ATLiens
Madvillain - Madvillainy
Eric B. and Rakim - Paid in Full
Ice Cube - Death Certificate
UGK - Super Tight

Esch

Banned
Just so everyone knows, for all the shit I can talk about someone elses top 20 mine would probably be the most universally clowned on list in GAF Hop. So it's all good.
It's impossible to sum up everything in 20 albums. I'd even like to nominate stuff in scenes that 90% of gaf hop would never give credit to but spawned phenomena of their own, like stuff from The Bay or even New Orleans or here in Saint Louis. But such is life.

IrishNinja

i used to put Me Against the World > All Eyez for years, revisiting them now its hard to do for me

and Clipse would have 5. .

Lord Willin
HHNF
maybe that got it for cheap mixtape?

I'd even like to nominate stuff in scenes that 90% of gaf hop would never give credit to but spawned phenomena of their own, like stuff from The Bay or even New Orleans or here in Saint Louis. But such is life.

i guess id be obliged to nom a 2 Live Crew album from down here, but really, House of Pain held it down for my peoples
took me years to get around to it but even Truth Crushed was some interesting shit

20 definitely doesn't feel enough. Tried to do a quick list with a mix of personal favorites, consensus classics, and records that encapsulate a particular era or a particular style within an area I am familiar with...whether that be regional, genre, or otherwise. But it's impossible to represent those things on a short, general list. Personal list would probably come out way too SF/LA beat culture and crate diggery. Came up with this as a quick sketch of the former.

A Tribe Called Quest - Low End Theory
DJ Shadow - Endtroducing
2Pac - All Eyez On Me
King Geedorah - Take Me To Your Leader
Prefuse 73 - One Word Extinguisher
DMX - It's Dark And Hell Is Hot
Raekwon - Only Built 4 Cuban Linx
Eminem - Marshall Mathers LP
The Fugees - The Score
Dr. Dre - 2001
Flying Lotus - Cosmogramma
Edan - Beauty and the Beat
Dr. Octagon - Dr. Octagonecologyst
Clipse - Hell Hath No Fury
Nas - Illmatic
Kid Koala - Carpel Tunnel Syndrome
Kanye West - My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy
Jay Z - The Blueprint
Outkast - ATLiens

Esch

Banned
i used to put Me Against the World > All Eyez for years, revisiting them now its hard to do for me

Like I said, some artists i could pick any number of albums. I could pick any of the big 3 from Jay and fpr various reasons like, that's straight. For Kanye I could have also gone with Late Registration. KRS One, could have picked any of a number of albums for a number of reasons. For UGK; Ridin' Dirty, etc. I ain't even mad.

i guess id be obliged to nom a 2 Live Crew album from down here, but really, House of Pain held it down for my peoples
took me years to get around to it but even Truth Crushed was some interesting shit

Local pride is a bitch.

Looks like it's time to update the classic list. This time, with OT gaf's help.

Nah, as bad as we are, it's fuck them still. Plus fuck putting up a wall of albums as what 'we think'. Few people in here think alike, lets keep it that way.

You know when it comes to these top 20 list, mine is always personal. I don't care for naming albums that people feel like must always be in your top 20 or whatever because they are essential/classics. I don't write for any hip-hop sites so why bother in the first place? Plus, you might actually get someone interested in some shit they never even heard before you actually gave your top 20 personal favorites

overcast

Nah, as bad as we are, it's fuck them still. Plus fuck putting up a wall of albums as what 'we think'. Few people in here think alike, lets keep it that way.
Yeah, hell no. Keeping it locals only.

Agree with Return, mine is bound to be pretty personal. Hard to remain objective with favorites though.

IrishNinja

You know when it comes to these top 20 list, mine is always personal. I don't care for naming albums that people feel like must always be in your top 20 or whatever because they are essential/classics. I don't write for any hip-hop sites so why bother in the first place? Plus, you might actually get someone interested in some shit they never even heard before you actually gave your top 20 personal favorites

that's true, im curious about Take Me To Your Leader and Kid Koala - Carpel Tunnel Syndrome now

Esch

Banned

Making a 'personal list' is actually a lot easier tbqh.

Scarface - The Diary
Nujabes - Metaphorical Music
Jay-Z - Reasonable Doubt
Kool G Rap - 4, 5, 6
Nas - Illmatic
Ghostface Killah - Ironman
Big Daddy Kane - Long Live the Kane
Curren$y - Pilot Talk
E-40 - In a Major Way
Common - Resurrection
Mobb Deep - The Infamous
GZA - Liquid Swords
Dalek - Abandoned Language
Madvillain - Madvillainy
UGK - Super Tight

Pretty similar.

but how are Shadow, Prefuse & FlyLo straight hip hop tho

Shadow and FlyLo are definitely hiphop...I can see an argument for Prefuse leaning a bit over into straight electronic but the two aren't mutually exclusive and he defined a big part of the underground/backpack sound from that era along with like, RJD2. But Shadow definitely is hiphop, with Endtroducing and Private Press. Quintessential turntabilism and sampling. That's the root of hiphop no matter how much bigger straight rap blew up. And in a lot of west coast circles, LA and SF specifically, it's still the dominate culture. LA more than SF for sure, and it oscillates back and forth, but instrumental hiphop/borderline electronic production is always going to be a big part of the culture.

Just out of LA, the bigger names to break out like FlyLo, Toki, Nosaj...that's hiphop in different forms. Each of them branched out and did something a little different, but at the end of the day we're all born from the same earth.

Edit:

OTOH I would have never included Since I Left You by the Avalanches even though it's heavily rooted in the same elements I describe above. The pop melodies are too strong and push it into something else. But I would still consider that album something derived from hiphop culture in the end. It's a fine line and there's room for argumentation on both sides. Prefuse specifically and for sure, even though I'd put One Word Extinguisher in hiphop more than anything else.

Esch

Banned
Say what you want about Flylo being hipster fodder or his drop in output since "Los Angeles" but he has been one of the vanguards of a lot of the more left field stuff that's been bubbling in the west coast for more than a decade now and was the precursor to a lot of blog rap. So.

IrishNinja

you misunderstand; im saying trip-hop, jazz-hop etc are sub-genres and if you include them shit is even sillier when trying to cap at an arbitrarily low # like 20. there's no need for that

im a big fan of those names, wasn't nearly taking shots at them

you misunderstand; im saying trip-hop, jazz-hop etc are sub-genres and if you include them shit is even sillier when trying to cap at an arbitrarily low # like 20. there's no need for that

im a big fan of those names, wasn't nearly taking shots at them

Yeah, then I'm with you. 20 is arbitrary and a hard constraint to work with. But I guess you need a cutoff somewhere and that was it for GAF Hop.

Carpel Tunnel is a super dope album to throw on a lazy Sunday, FYI. King Geedorah is another MF Doom alter ego.

Making a 'personal list' is actually a lot easier tbqh.

Scarface - The Diary
Nujabes - Metaphorical Music
Jay-Z - Reasonable Doubt
Kool G Rap - 4, 5, 6
Nas - Illmatic
Ghostface Killah - Ironman
Big Daddy Kane - Long Live the Kane
Curren$y - Pilot Talk
E-40 - In a Major Way
Common - Resurrection
Mobb Deep - The Infamous
GZA - Liquid Swords
Dalek - Abandoned Language
Madvillain - Madvillainy
UGK - Super Tight

Pretty similar.

I had to say it because first your list was missing Gza and I thought that shit was odd

Say what you want about Flylo being hipster fodder or his drop in output since "Los Angeles" but he has been one of the vanguards of a lot of the more left field stuff that's been bubbling in the west coast for more than a decade now and was the precursor to a lot of blog rap. So.

This is definitely true. idk if it could sustain itself had Flylo not blown up big on the Pitchfork/Fader scene and opened the lane up for exposure. You look at ten years ago and guys like Flylo, Daedelus, Daddy Kev, etc are the reason why the scene jumped off the way it did whether through their music being influential or their activity in mentoring new artists or showcasing the new sounds of the city. Thank God it did, I know you have some reservations RE: the state of hiphop and a lack of creativity but from my perspective this is a golden age. I'm hearing new, fresh, creative shit every week and ultimately Flylo may have been the single biggest influence. Not all of it is good, but most of it is at least interesting.

RE: a drop in his quality, bumbillbee and I heard the new album a few weeks ago and it's dope as hell brehs. Gonna be really hard for anything to top it this year. It's always tough to say things like that on a first listen though, especially when it's kind of a secret and the hype quickly takes over.

Browsing through my iTunes Library; jakefromstatefarm's no holds barred, undisputed list of cherished personal classics in an environment of understanding and constrictive criticism includes, but is not limited to the following, and in no order except for Illmatic which was, is, and forever shall be, number 1, world without end, Amen:

2Pac - Strictly 4 My N.I.G.G.A.Z.
Big K.R.I.T. - Krit Wuz Here
Big K.R.I.T. - Return of 4eva
Big L - Lifestylez of da Poor and Dangerous
Black Star - Mos Def and Talib Kweli are Black Star
Curren$y - Pilot Talk
Danny Brown - XXX
Das EFX - Dead Serious
Del Tha Funkee Homosapien - I Wish My Brother George was Here
Del Tha Funkee Homosapien - No Need for Alarm
Doppelgangaz - Lone Sharks
Dr. Dre - 2001
Eminem - The Slim Shady LP
Gang Starr - Step in the Arena
Gang Starr - Moment of Truth
GZA - Liquid Swords
Jay-Z - Reasonable Doubt
Jay-Z - The Black Album
Method Man & Redman - The Blackout!
Nas - Illmatic
Outkast - ATLiens
Outkast - Aquemini
UGK - Super Tight

If you disagree, you're wrong and I hate you
pacspit.gif

Detox

Fuck your list if it is missing the seminal trap album from Mr Chickens no flour.

As he emerges from the crack smoke in the intro he shows us the grind of the trap and his mentality that encompasses his entire discography. All aspects of success and motivation are explored whether it's the mentality required, the no compromises drive and paranoia, the rewards. All this set in the cold world of the trap perfectly told by the Snowman. Dope features especially T.I.. The album was wrapped up beautifully with talk to em dedicating his grind to those closest to him.

Not to mention the dope as fuck production, especially Shawty Redd inspired the dominating sound in hiphop today. Props to Manny Fresh for making it burn like a bad ass perm.

Donald Trump in a white tee and white ones made a classic, fuck the haters.

Esch

Banned
Fuck your list if it is missing the seminal trap album from Mr Chickens no flour.

As he emerges from the crack smoke in the intro he shows us the grind of the trap and his mentality that encompasses his entire discography. All aspects of success and motivation are explored whether it's the mentality required, the no compromises drive and paranoia, the rewards. All this set in the cold world of the trap perfectly told by the Snowman. Dope features especially T.I.. The album was wrapped up beautifully with talk to em dedicating his grind to those closest to him.

Not to mention the dope as fuck production, especially Shawty Redd inspired the dominating sound in hiphop today. Props to Manny Fresh for making it burn like a bad ass perm.

Donald Trump in a white tee and white ones made a classic, fuck the haters.
Nah, fuck that. If i was gonna add in another southern album it'd be 400 Degreez or Trap Muzik, or maybe Comin' Out Hard.

I would replace The Black Album with The Blueprint
Takeover, Izzo, U Don't Know, Hola Hovito, Heart of the City, Never Change, Renegade << Allure, Encore, Dirt Off Your Shoulder, 99 Problems, PSA, Lucifer, My 1st Song

They're both really similar albums in terms of approach. Highs are way higher on TBA and imo, it's way more consistent.

RE: a drop in his quality, bumbillbee and I heard the new album a few weeks ago and it's dope as hell brehs. Gonna be really hard for anything to top it this year. It's always tough to say things like that on a first listen though, especially when it's kind of a secret and the hype quickly takes over.

Yeah there was definitely a lot of hype and I'd prefer to give it a listen on headphones or at least a more neutral sound setup but from my brief impression it's more than a return to form.

Not gonna attempt a top 20 but I'd definitely have 400 Degreez on there,.

Esch

Banned
Takeover, Izzo, U Don't Know, Hola Hovito, Heart of the City, Never Change, Renegade << Allure, Encore, Dirt Off Your Shoulder, 99 Problems, PSA, Lucifer, My 1st Song

They're both really similar albums in terms of approach. Highs are way higher on TBA and imo, it's way more consistent.

I disagree, I feel they're different. For one, BP1 is more sonically focused on that soul shit, it's very cohesive there. Plus there's a consistent 'style' on that album, if that makes sense. It's consistently more laid back in terms of flow and lyrics, it's kind of personal and understated. TBH, BP1 is like a masterclass in letting production work for you and an emphasis on making songs rather than rapping. TBA on the other hand is grander, more diverse in production (and a cut less cohesive), and Jay is a lot more upbeat and energetic rapping on most of those tracks.... TBA is like a sampler of his entire career. It has the introspection of the blueprints, the gangsta shit of the volumes, etc.

PxQHNpm.png

Documentary is a classic,you wallin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom