• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTX| Long Live the Watcher

Status
Not open for further replies.

DominoKid

Wiz Khagina - We Dem Boyz ft. Rick Ross, Schoolboy Q & Nas
kttcoliwhy

fire.

Cheddahz

Banned
i'm finally home, did anything cool happen in the hip hop world in say..the past two days?

i also copped the lil ugly mane 7 inch

Furyous

I'm not about to sit here and let you slander Kha(L)ifa. The L is for the haters that lose hating on him for old school reasons. If we use the rappity-rap criteria then he has subpar bars. But he makes good songs. That's all that counts. He won at life every way you can count. He'll never out bar any MC unless their name is Riff Raff. This song goes. Some might say "it goes all right... in the trash can" but that is their opinion.

http://globalgrind.com/2014/07/03/w...-the-history-of-hip-hop-russell-simmons-blog/

The other night, at the BET Awards, I ran into the entire Cash Money Records crew as I was entering the show. It got me thinking about their incredible journey to the top. One of Cash Money Records’ more recent songs “Started From the Bottom” is my favorite song from last year. Their true reality is they started from UNDER the bottom. When we talk about surviving despite difficult personal trauma we are talking about Baby and Slim – the founders of Cash Money Records. They are by far the most inspiring record company hip-hop has built to date. When I was watching Nicki Minaj receive her fifth consecutive rap award on the BET awards I was almost brought to tears when she spoke about her Cash Money family. It reminded me of the very best corporate culture we built at Def Jam that we were fortunate enough to hold onto for a number of years (though not nearly as long as Cash Money has enjoyed).
I remember when there was a discussion about making a deal with them, but they politely passed on our offer to “ joint venture” with them. I remember thinking how much of a mistake they were making because they were missing out on our “great” offer. I guess they fooled me. Turns out, all these years later, they are the only owners and the only real triumphant hop-hop company fully owned and operated by the true pioneers that started it.
I know I’m hip hop. I learned to be an entrepreneur selling drugs when the highest aspiration in our community was to be school teachers, not even owners of our own businesses. We set up shop in front of the grocery stores selling drugs which seemed to be the brightest entrepreneurial option in our ‘hood. But with that education, an entrepreneurial spirit was born. We saw hip-hop penetrate the mainstream record business with a sport of ownership that always made me proud. If that’s hip-hop and it IS, then the best company in the history of hip-hop is Cash Money Records. They built it, developed and nurtured their artists while treating them fairly, held it together, and continue to make more money than everybody.
All of my respect to the entire Cash Money Records family who “started at the bottom” and “now are here.”

Clearly Russell acknowledges the genius of the Williams brothers. Cash Money has to be the greatest indy label in the history of the record business, in my opinion.

I'm not about to sit here and let you slander Kha(L)ifa. The L is for the haters that lose hating on him for old school reasons. If we use the rappity-rap criteria then he has subpar bars. But he makes good songs. That's all that counts. He won at life every way you can count. He'll never out bar any MC unless their name is Riff Raff.

I used to play Wiz all the time, then dude just fell off. Kush & OJ was a classic mixtape IMO but it kinda feels like his shtick has worn off. Either way he's a father now with le beautiful Amber Rose. Can't eem hate.

Furyous

I used to play Wiz all the time, then dude just fell off. Kush & OJ was a classic mixtape IMO but it kinda feels like his shtick has worn off. Either way he's a father now with le beautiful Amber Rose. Can't eem hate.

Just to clarify, I was not taking shots at you. All of his new music ain't for me but he doesn't care. At this point, he's only putting out records to tour and stack money. His next album might sell 200,000 copies but screw sales because he'll tour for two years off it. Let me wife up steph bad or bunz4ever, whoever those random names are, and I'd put out BS material for the rest of my life.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I got into dabbing for a while via a roommate. Shit's potent but honesly I just wanna chill on weed. That shit did not always make me chill, the opposite actually. Plus the whole butane and rod routine is overcomplicated and kinda methy feeling.

Esch

Banned
Dabs are corny. Why you gotta pharmacize weed? You gotta concentrate it and turn it into some sort of consciousness skull fuck instead of a chill, subtle experience. Dude's can't help themselves. Coca leaves aren't strong enough so they gotta make cocaine. Cocaine ain't strong enough so dudes gotta smoke crack. Fuck hash oil, dabs, all this super smoke shit. Turning weed into this unnatural ass experience.

Furyous

Modern Wiz is a perfect example of yes, you can in fact smoke too much weed.

Nobody needs to be doing dabs brehs

Respect to everyone that can handle that but count me out of anything that requires a blow torch. Here I am hoping for the government to regulate the growing legalized industry and this dude blacks out from one dab. He'd be fine if that camera wasn't there so no video exists of him taking the L. Is me or did the PYT next him not seem enthusiastic about sitting next to him?

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I know y'all been waiting on my review of Bubba Sparxxx's new joint.

It's aight. Deliverance Lite. If you're missing some country fried rap in your life, might as well give it a listen. Ain't like Nappy Roots is still around.

Nitsuj23

If that's the case, why grow good weed? Dabs are for people that have a high tolerance. Kurupt's lil bro learned that first hand.

It's just a higher percentage of THC per hit. I like dabs.

Also a good way to get the people who brag about how much weed they smoke to end up on the floor. I worked at a restaurant a few years ago. We hired a dude who was from the more urban part of Lansing and all he would talk about is "cuz we roll two blunts together, I smoke so much, I smoked 7 blunts before work, blah blah blah".

I have him over, give him one dab, and he spent the next five minutes rolling on the floor. Was hilarious. He liked it though when he finally got up, so props to him.

IrishNinja

^aint like

Pete Rock says he's working with Kendrick. Interesting.

was gonna say, gimme some highlights PD, that shit is 2 hours and i cant focus that long here man

there's jokes here about birdman eating more than his share, but that's a time-honored tradition from every major label on down to suge/puffy/etc. he makes a decent case here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom