• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTX| Long Live the Watcher

Status
Not open for further replies.
I kinda randomly started listening to Rap recently. I mostly listen to Classical music with some Rock in between, so I'm pretty new to all this. I guess Spotify makes looking up music so easy, I just typed in NWA and listened to the first thing that I found. Looked up the song on rap genius and then went from there. So far I've listened to:
NWA - Straight Outta Compton: Really aggressive, angry. Music to kill people to. Lyrics don't seem as sophistcated as other things I've listened to so far.
Wu-Tang Clan - Enter the Wu-Tang (36 Chambers): I really, really like this album. It's not as raw as the NWA album, feels more refined and the lyrics feel more introspective, I guess. Raekwon's verse in C.R.E.A.M. is really awesome.
Nas - Illmatic: Just started listening to this today. New York State of Mind alone already sold me on the album though.

Overall, I'm pretty surprised with the variety I've found in the little I've listened to so far. Lyrically all of the artists seem to have a very distinct voice.

I kinda randomly started listening to Rap recently. I mostly listen to Classical music with some Rock in between, so I'm pretty new to all this. I guess Spotify makes looking up music so easy, I just typed in NWA and listened to the first thing that I found. Looked up the song on rap genius and then went from there. So far I've listened to:
NWA - Straight Outta Compton: Really aggressive, angry. Music to kill people to. Lyrics don't seem as sophistcated as other things I've listened to so far.
Wu-Tang Clan - Enter the Wu-Tang (36 Chambers): I really, really like this album. It's not as raw as the NWA album, feels more refined and the lyrics feel more introspective, I guess. Raekwon's verse in C.R.E.A.M. is really awesome.
Nas - Illmatic: Just started listening to this today. New York State of Mind alone already sold me on the album though.

Overall, I'm pretty surprised with the variety I've found in the little I've listened to so far. Lyrically all of the artists seem to have a very distinct voice.
N.W.A.'s classic material can come off as simplified because it came out just before complicated lyricism became en vogue and the majority of it was all written by the same dude. As long as you enjoyed it, you should check out Cube's solo material.

The East Coast Golden Age is a common launching point for people new to the genre, you can't go wrong with any of those classics. Welcome to the community.

N.W.A.'s classic material can come off as simplified because it came out just before complicated lyricism became en vogue and the majority of it was all written by the same dude. As long as you enjoyed it, you should check out Cube's solo material.

The East Coast Golden Age is a common launching point for people new to the genre, you can't go wrong with any of those classics. Welcome to the community.

MC Ren wrote a lot of that, well, his verses alone. So yeah.

Cube's discography is pretty great for the most part aside from a few missteps and the last few albums sucking.

Br-7mlYCQAMOopR.jpg

cacophony

ive used my record player like 4 times

i pretty much lost interest when i thought about how much money i could end up spending on records

PBY

Banned
You've got good taste, though I don't like fully automatic.

I'm saving up for a used SL-1200MKII myself. I have a Technics SL-Q2, which is ancient and probably won't last

Agree, but just thinking price. There's not a ton out there in that range.

big ander

Ayo my cousin is looking to get into record players/vinyl, and wants a starter player for under $60. Any suggestions?

none exist really. You can get shitty crosley players for around there (usually more) but their plastic tone arms are destructive and the sound quality is eight levels below shit. The cheapest actually good starter table you can buy new is often said to be the at LP-60, it's $100. [edit: though peterboy's right you can probably find lp60's for a better price used.] I still have one, and while I'm looking to upgrade now it's been durable for 3 years and sounds more than acceptable. An even better but sorta barebones starter one is the U-Turn orbit, it's great for the price at like $170ish and iirc it's easily upgradable so it should last a while. though if you're going to go that high you could consider just getting the AT LP 120, the higher level version of the 60. in the $200-250 range, but just like the 60 it's convenient and easy.

The other option is to look for used tables, which a lot of people recommend doing off the bat. the problems there are 1) it's harder to know what's good or bad when the table is 20-30 years old, takes more research 2) anything you find in the $60 range is going to be $60 because it needs repairs. New belt, malfunctioning tone arm, etc. If you find a working vintage good table for $60 you've hit the jackpot. More likely you'll find something in that same $100-150 range and still need to do some minor maintenance, probably buy a new cartridge alongside it. But if you find like, a Technics SL-1200 for a sub-arm-and-leg price in decent condition jump on it.

Reddit's vinyl subreddit is actually a surprisingly helpful resource for all this stuff. The community is elitist a lot, but: every question's been asked there before so you can search and see what turns up, they have multiple nice guides like this one or like this infographic that can start you off, and now they do a talk post every wednesday where the entire purpose is to ask "stupid" questions and members are genuinely helpful. I'd rec browsing it

HiResDes

I don't wanna keep bumping my own thread, so I'll just mention it here cuz I know you'll know what I'm talking about...The production on the Blu,The Misfit is crazy

none exist really. You can get shitty crosley players for around there (usually more) but their plastic tone arms are destructive and the sound quality is eight levels below shit. The cheapest actually good starter table you can buy new is often said to be the at LP-60, it's $100. [edit: though peterboy's right you can probably find lp60's for a better price used.] I still have one, and while I'm looking to upgrade now it's been durable for 3 years and sounds more than acceptable. An even better but sorta barebones starter one is the U-Turn orbit, it's great for the price at like $170ish and iirc it's easily upgradable so it should last a while. though if you're going to go that high you could consider just getting the AT LP 120, the higher level version of the 60. in the $200-250 range, but just like the 60 it's convenient and easy.

The other option is to look for used tables, which a lot of people recommend doing off the bat. the problems there are 1) it's harder to know what's good or bad when the table is 20-30 years old, takes more research 2) anything you find in the $60 range is going to be $60 because it needs repairs. New belt, malfunctioning tone arm, etc. If you find a working vintage good table for $60 you've hit the jackpot. More likely you'll find something in that same $100-150 range and still need to do some minor maintenance, probably buy a new cartridge alongside it. But if you find like, a Technics SL-1200 for a sub-arm-and-leg price in decent condition jump on it.

Reddit's vinyl subreddit is actually a surprisingly helpful resource for all this stuff. The community is elitist a lot, but: every question's been asked there before so you can search and see what turns up, they have multiple nice guides like this one or like this infographic that can start you off, and now they do a talk post every wednesday where the entire purpose is to ask "stupid" questions and members are genuinely helpful. I'd rec browsing it

Thanks breh, I'll definitely send this info to him. I had a Audio Technica AT-LP60 but it broke a year ago, haven't gotten a new one yet. My record collection is aite, but a lot of it is stuff I got from my parents. Marvin Gaye, The Police, The Temptations, and some other stuff.

It seems the evidence was deleted, but from what I can pick up, mods moved his thread about that cheerleader who kills animals out of the Kanye section and into some sort of off-topic section and he flipped out. I feel like there has to be more to the story though.

KTT is necessary. It is the 4chan of the hip-hop world.

Lol not even close bruh.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
only if I get to play another video of the most cruel lines in battle raps

Since y'all couldn't guess my favourite Riff Raff song
breh you just need to start watching battle raps regularly

the "holy shit he really just said that" is what makes it addictive

you "i got three baby mommas but only two kids" ass ninja

I got a knife called eye witness, cause it saw a n***a face

NvsWTUZ.gif

- - -

Royce Da 5'9" will be battling Arsonal this weekend as well, on top of the Budden/Hollow. Wow. Yo if they announce Clips vs. Joell *whew*

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
breh you just need to start watching battle raps regularly

the "holy shit he really just said that" is what makes it addictive

you "i got three baby mommas but only two kids" ass ninja

I got a knife called eye witness, cause it saw a n***a face

NvsWTUZ.gif

- - -

Royce Da 5'9" will be battling Arsonal this weekend as well, on top of the Budden/Hollow. Wow. Yo if they announce Clips vs. Joell *whew*

Lol at that battle he had me until he did that Brizzcipitation line.....

Also Slaughterhouase doing battles is cool but it needs crookedI to be official

IrishNinja

aw shit, time for that yeezy season gif

related: same DJ buddy who hooked up the vinyl recently offered one of his turntables, but said i'd need to replace the arm...is that hard/costly? i can't imagine it's not better than the walmart player i got right now

My record collection is aite, but a lot of it is stuff I got from my parents. Marvin Gaye, The Police, The Temptations, and some other stuff.

maaaan i got like, all of that on my list, don't complain!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom