• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTX| Long Live the Watcher

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chance, Earl, Mac Miller, Vic Mensa, Childish Gambino all fall in that realm of bad college rap for me. Gross.

hqdefault.jpg

overcast

Do you mean people in college listen to them?

Cause Chance and Earl are pretty far apart musically, unless we're talking them being young.

mooooose

I thought Vic Mensa was unforgivable trash but Down on My Luck is that fucking JAM. Honestly one of the best songs I've heard this year.

I don't think Earl is a good rapper. I think anyone could rap like Earl if they tried. I guess it's the sentiment of "but you didn't" but he's not impressive to me. His flow is garbage and he just mumbles and he doesn't have any clever wordplay. He's just a smart dude and has a large thesaurus. I like some of his songs tho.

Chance is ok but feels himself too much. Gambino is a talented guy but also just a miserable misguided fuck and annoying.

Mac is ok. SDS is a dope song and he's improving by surrounding himself with the right people, even if it's sacrificing guap and success. He's a good dude.

Everyone has prejudices in what they like, partly because of the people they know they'd share an interest with, and so most of these dudes are considered wack to anyone not a college kid but they aren't that bad tbh.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
That Disclosure influence did good for him. Seems like a one-off though.

Earl reminds me of someone like MF Doom who doesn't have a flow that can carry a track but he knows how to find the right beat with the right lyrical content to make it work. His sedated style kinda works for me.

I don't consider myself a fan of any of those guys but in some way or another I can see the value in all of them. Cept for Gambino. Just don't feel him at all.

mooooose

Gambino is a competent producer with a good taste in rappers

He can be clever, he can be funny, but he's really unlikable because he lacks conviction in anything other than a desire to be accepted.

He put out a mixtape that was just a curated group of songs by his favorite rappers, including Q and Soul just during the rise of TDE, Danny Brown after XXX, Bun B, RZA, Ghostface, and Chance after 10 Day

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvsqzOTMRSw

At the end of the day, Gambino gave Ghostface a solo track on his own mixtape.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sIVFreXEoc

And this song is one of Chance's best

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thHzbRqhM6I

And this beat is rough quality but so fucking hard

cacophony

i kinda liked Vic mensa until I saw some interviews with him and its made it really hard to like him. I do like DOML but thats pretty different from innanatape

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Chance = great songwriter, brought some interesting perspectives on Acid Rap. Has potential, but might be running faster than his career or quality can keep up with right now. Currently has a long streak of mediocre content going since Acid Rap, everyone is ready for that bubble to burst but I'd like to see him stick it out.

Earl = Very talented MC, unfortunately his career is attached to and his output is intertwined with some of the corniest rappers of the modern era. Probability of producing anything good is very low and perhaps even declining as time goes on.

Mac Miller = Talented dude. He's like Curren$y, but he possesses the ability to rap about more than one or two things (closer to 3 or 4). Fantastic ear, however he still has some of the cheesy frat white rapper in him so I cannot give my cosign.

Vic Mensa = Soulless entity, limited skill in any aspect of rap. We were talking about Star Trek earlier, right? If rap was the Star Trek universe, he'd be in the Delta Quadrant. Just a big expanse of nothing of worth. Not even Janeway's soulless ass would stop to see if there was anything of worth in him.

Childish Gambino = [insert every Gambino discussion here], limited talent, lacking any exceptional qualities, comes off as if the game would not be any different without him.

Esch

Banned
I remember the first time I heard Earl rapping Pigeon and I was vibing super fucking hard. Too bad he came back from Aruba or wherever and ended up being a fraud. Reminds me of those Cuban Olympic boxers who get Golds when tbeyre 15 and then they sneak over to the US, claim asylum, and try to sign up with a big promo company. Unfortunately the process takes years so they get old, fat and shitty in the process and never fulfill their potential.

I'm drinking sours (Consecration is the GOAT) and falling in love with them this summer. Never had a liking for them before I tried a few at my last Stone event, now my palette is all about them.

Also trying some IPA recipes in my homebrew op (two Sculpin clones going right now, and we just ultra fucked up a black IPA).

Never had the space to homebrew but it sounds like a blast. Two Sculpin clones? Damn.

Consecration isn't my favorite RR sour but it's still amazing. Especially since it's so high in ABV, pretty much no Belgian brewers fuck with 10% sours. Cantillon still GOAT tho

Earl cancelled his live dates apparently so I won't get to see him perform this summer, how was he live? I didn't love Doris but I think he has talent and could put out something great with enough focus.

mooooose

honestly u gotta respect the dips

just for having the self respect to not suck cash money's tit for a nickel

even tho u know they could

i think they have weezy and baby's respect for it too

RIP?

dipset forever you dipshits

that track is decently hot but cam's bars are somewhat weak tbh, but im happy dame was able to convince cam to get in the studio with some talent and the rest of dipset. dame is trying to cake with the only people willing to talk to him

HiResDes

Earl can definitely rap and is talented and if you think his internal rhyme schemes are easy then it's obvious you don't know shit about rapping nor have you ever actually spit a sixteen. Lumping in all fairly conscious or positive upbeat rap as college rap and then trying to act like that's a negative label is shit that people did before Kanye and Little Brother. It's such an antiquated outlook to hold.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Earl can definitely rap and is talented and you think his interval rhyme schemes are easy then it's obvious you don't know shit about rapping nor have you ever actually spit a sixteen. Lumping in all fairly conscious or positive upbeat rap as college rap and then trying to act like that's a negative label is shit that people did before Kanye and Little Brother. It's such an antiquated outlook to hold.
This is the truth. Some people get blinded by their cynicism.

mooooose

Earl can definitely rap and is talented and you think his interval rhyme schemes are easy then it's obvious you don't know shit about rapping nor have you ever actually spit a sixteen.
breh u couldve at least quoted me if u were gonna come at me but i stick by what i said he gets by in genre where no one is interested in making raps that sound like his, but ignoring that there are other rappers who are good with internal rhyme schemes too, its just a stylistic choice that gets too much praise

I remember the first time I heard Earl rapping Pigeon and I was vibing super fucking hard. Too bad he came back from Aruba or wherever and ended up being a fraud. Reminds me of those Cuban Olympic boxers who get Golds when tbeyre 15 and then they sneak over to the US, claim asylum, and try to sign up with a big promo company. Unfortunately the process takes years so they get old, fat and shitty in the process and never fulfill their potential.
Truly heartbreaking

Esch

Banned
Overall y'all bit that troll bait pretty hard, I thought it was obvious the way I was carelessly lumping disparate artists

stylin.gif

Overall y'all bit that troll bait pretty hard, I thought it was obvious the way I was carelessly lumping disparate artists

stylin.gif

I was going to comment earlier about(chance lol) lumping all these artist under college rap before you posted because people legit believed that shit then I thought nah

Esch

Banned
but ignoring that there are other rappers who are good with internal rhyme schemes too, its just a stylistic choice that gets too much praise

Low key this is a legit great comment. Internal rhyme is to rapping what storytelling is to writing, people tend to put it on a high pedestal for some reason I've never really seen properly justified.

IrishNinja

Because OT fuckery gets much worse.

for real, console warrior bullshit is tired but at least predictable
OT some days feels like
GAF my weed dealing neighbor is quiet & paid my rent this month, should i call the cops?
GAF the woman i'm fucking is married, should i tell her husband's parents?
Raging Bull 2 > 1, who's with me?!
Virgin-AGE: GAF if vagina is in the front-like how do people "hit it from the back"

TBH, site has been off since like 2008-9. If I didn't have y'all i'd probably stop posting.

right around when i joined, sounds about right

Pharrell is shit. Not just his recent pop career, he's just always been kinda shit.

it's like Lord Willin' didn't even happen

Gaf hop won't agree, but I'd put money on em.

Respect to joey for having the balls to do it in the first place

no, after what we just saw, Em should be able to handle that
and respect lost when he quit, personally - what's the point of riding it out and not finishing?

yeah, big ghostface was on about how quiet he was to DMX, too

Dilated Peoples - Director of Photography

Aug 12

liking what i see here!

i still cant get past the first song on acip rap

yo where you been cacos

RIP?

apprentice set forever you dipshits

fixed

HiResDes

Earl can use multiple internal rhymes incorporating multi-syllable words at a really steady pace, which requires a great bit of finesse and breath control... Though he sounds lazy, his writing usually is anything but and he has the ability to actually tell coherent life accounts like on Chum.

I also liked Acid Raps and I'm buying the deluxe of God Complex at the end of the month. Dat bounce. The Celestics are another group focused on dat bounce.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom